ADVERTISEMENT

Creighton

Llama57

Senior
Feb 2, 2015
I haven’t watched them play, but the box score from last night has Creighton’s starting RB & QB with a TD & 2 point conversion with 2:15 left in the 4th quarter when they would have been up 50-0 already. Does anyone else find this odd or unsportsmanlike? Wouldn’t it make more sense for the long term success of a program to have 2nd/3rd stringers in at that time to give them reps?

I haven’t watched them play, but the box score from last night has Creighton’s starting RB & QB with a TD & 2 point conversion with 2:15 left in the 4th quarter when they would have been up 50-0 already. Does anyone else find this odd or unsportsmanlike? Wouldn’t it make more sense for the long term success of a program to have 2nd/3rd stringers in at that time to give them reps?

If that's truly the case, then Creighton is playing with fire. Get your young kids experience in a big-time game and rest your playmakers for the next round.

Not 100% aware, but if one of them was the Wortman kid...he is originally a 2nd/3rd stringer from what I understood. They might be to the point that they don't have anyone left in the backfield they trust to finish out a varsity game.

8-man gets tricky to sub down sometimes. A team like Creighton, that traditionally has around 30 on their roster, should be able to sub down. But if you are playing a team with 13 kids, they often cannot sub down, or at least not fully. Do you throw your undersized freshmen out there if you are the team with 30 vs. a team of their partial starters that might be much larger and more experienced, albeit tired and beat up by that point?

Don't know the numbers for both Plainview and Creighton, so maybe they both have enough that they could have turned the 4th into a de facto JV game, but just didn't.

Creighton has always done it that way. So it is not odd for them. I have got to see them play. They are really good.

Rivalry game too. Creighton has been so close for many years. They have the gas pedal to the floor, they don’t care what the final is. I’m totally okay with it. This isn’t Junior High.

Honestly it’s the playoffs so if you want to put it on, do it. Plainview should have tried to stop them.

Rivalry game too. Creighton has been so close for many years. They have the gas pedal to the floor, they don’t care what the final is. I’m totally okay with it. This isn’t Junior High.

Honestly it’s the playoffs so if you want to put it on, do it. Plainview should have tried to stop them.
I'm sure Plainview did try to stop them. Not saying I am upset Creighton scored 50, but saying "the other team should have tried to stop them" is just plain ignorant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yossarian23
Running up the score is Creighton's style of play...came back to bite them in the butt last year when Neligh-Oakdale put a beat down on them. Not sure what's being accomplished by leaving your starters in the whole entire game when you're up by 50 other than stat padding.

On a different note, Creighton is dealing with some mega injuries. Very good RB and WR are out, and they are two way players. I think if they were completely healthy they would win D1 by a landslide. Excited to see this Creighton East Butler game next Tuesday.

Running up the score is Creighton's style of play...came back to bite them in the butt last year when Neligh-Oakdale put a beat down on them. Not sure what's being accomplished by leaving your starters in the whole entire game when you're up by 50 other than stat padding.

On a different note, Creighton is dealing with some mega injuries. Very good RB and WR are out, and they are two way players. I think if they were completely healthy they would win D1 by a landslide. Excited to see this Creighton East Butler game next Tuesday.
Some coaches don't play talented individual starters enough (pulling them in the first or second quarter) to reward them for their hard work in the off season and their daily practice efforts, while others like Creighton of present and past, take large risks at suffering over use injuries to starters in very late game minutes of extreme blowouts that are teaching his kids nothing (starters and back ups)!! What really is the starter gaining if he's competing that late in a blowout against an inferior opponent?

Coach Gene Suhr is a class act, I know he is retiring after the season is over but I don't think he would run it up on purpose. jmo here I could be wrong but maybe the other team ought to try to tackle then the score wouldn't be so lopsided and they do have a rash of injuries so maybe they are out of backs that know the plays, not sure but I respect the hell out of that guy as he is a outstanding coach.

Reactions: northeastNebraska

I guess if you consider 72-44 a beat down then Neligh did give them a "beat down" last year. I would call a beat down a score of 94-0

Oh your playing the unsportsmanlike card? You shouldn't even insinuate something like if you don't have a grasp of the whole situation.

Oh your playing the unsportsmanlike card? You shouldn't even insinuate something like if you don't have a grasp of the whole situation.
Read the 2 words before “unsportsmanlike” in my original post, Jimmy. What’s the story from the coffee shop in Creighton? That’s why I posed the question.

I guess if you consider 72-44 a beat down then Neligh did give them a "beat down" last year. I would call a beat down a score of 94-0
A 28 point win is a beat down to me...maybe I’m wrong though. I find it pretty remarkable how Creighton scores high 70s/80s consistently...they have had some real talent this past decade.

as for the fella who chimed in on the 'the box score' and they went for a two point conversion up 50, well not many 8 man teams kick extra points so what are they supposed to do not run a play or intentionally not try for the extra 2 point conversion.

as for the fella who chimed in on the 'the box score' and they went for a two point conversion up 50, well not many 8 man teams kick extra points so what are they supposed to do not run a play or intentionally not try for the extra 2 point conversion.

I didn't read it as calling out the 2-point play while up 50, rather it was noting that the TD was scored by one starter (QB or RB) and the 2-point play was scored by the other while up 50, since the box score notes would be the only way you'd know they were still in if you didn't watch it.

Age old question, who subs out first? Plainview still had their 1's on defense, good football players. Do you want your freshmen getting beat up by seniors?
A few years ago, Plainview coaches were upset when Creighton took a knee on PAT's to keep the score down. The next year Creighton's 2's went in on PAT's, so I don't think you can accuse Creighton of running up the score.
This is big boy football, if Plainview is going to talk all week and then hang a banner that says "Pucker up and kiss your winning streak goodbye", don't complain about the score.

As stated above Creighton has had a rash of injuries this season. They keep plugging in players and in some positions down to sophomore players and they keep moving forward. Credit to their ability down the ranks of the program. If you are talking about running up the score think about it. When Creighton was healthy and they called their JV in (which they did many times before halftime sometimes in the first quarter) the guys playing NOW are the JV. They are pretty dang good. The Wortman kid is the 3rd string running back 2nd string QB. That was their JV player. So when he does break runs against the Varsity do you tell him to run out of bounds, take a knee? They have done that before and got ran up on this webpage for unsportsman like actions for doing that. Earlier post mentioned padding stats. Creighton has pulled their starters out in the first quarter of at least 2 games this year. To me that is not padding stats that is hurting the kid that worked his butt off all year to earn a starting spot, has personal and team goals he is trying to accomplish and he only gets to play one quarter because he is to good for the other team and its not fair to have him on the field. I see a program that has worked hard to get where they are and yes they do beat teams by a lot sometimes but if you have seen the team play consistently you would know its not the varsity out there running up the score it is the JV a lot of times playing at a high level(Probably more than most other teams JV gets to play) but the depth of this team is incredible and they don't drop a lot as they move down the depth chart.

As stated above Creighton has had a rash of injuries this season. They keep plugging in players and in some positions down to sophomore players and they keep moving forward. Credit to their ability down the ranks of the program. If you are talking about running up the score think about it. When Creighton was healthy and they called their JV in (which they did many times before halftime sometimes in the first quarter) the guys playing NOW are the JV. They are pretty dang good. The Wortman kid is the 3rd string running back 2nd string QB. That was their JV player. So when he does break runs against the Varsity do you tell him to run out of bounds, take a knee? They have done that before and got ran up on this webpage for unsportsman like actions for doing that. Earlier post mentioned padding stats. Creighton has pulled their starters out in the first quarter of at least 2 games this year. To me that is not padding stats that is hurting the kid that worked his butt off all year to earn a starting spot, has personal and team goals he is trying to accomplish and he only gets to play one quarter because he is to good for the other team and its not fair to have him on the field. I see a program that has worked hard to get where they are and yes they do beat teams by a lot sometimes but if you have seen the team play consistently you would know its not the varsity out there running up the score it is the JV a lot of times playing at a high level(Probably more than most other teams JV gets to play) but the depth of this team is incredible and they don't drop a lot as they move down the depth chart.
How do you think Creighton will stack up in the rest of the playoffs with their injuries? I personally think they still have a very good chance, but if they were 100% healthy they'd win each game by 3-4 TDs.

Age old question, who subs out first? Plainview still had their 1's on defense, good football players. Do you want your freshmen getting beat up by seniors?
A few years ago, Plainview coaches were upset when Creighton took a knee on PAT's to keep the score down. The next year Creighton's 2's went in on PAT's, so I don't think you can accuse Creighton of running up the score.
This is big boy football, if Plainview is going to talk all week and then hang a banner that says "Pucker up and kiss your winning streak goodbye", don't complain about the score.
Thanks for the info @cork3 & @Bhb301. Now I have my answer as to why the starting RB and QB were in the game with a 50-0 lead with <3:00 left in the game.

If this is true, yeah Creighton did it right. Like I stated, this is high school. Not elementary or Junior High. Get your ass in gear and play harder.

Creighton shouldn’t have to take it easy. Pirates should have showed more guts. If you talk the big game you better act it.

Reactions: Timgacc and gokodo
ive played creighton twice & sadly they were unable to score :(

I don't know you, but did you accidentally stumble onto an old computer that you forgot you had in high school and clicked on an old bookmark to land on this page? You're a member from the glory days of this website and haven't posted in recent memory.

I really hope you played Creighton back in the day, and shut them out twice, because if that is true, I appreciate that you crawled out of the Mines of Moria to Middle Earth Cave Troll them.

I don't know you, but did you accidentally stumble onto an old computer that you forgot you had in high school and clicked on an old bookmark to land on this page? You're a member from the glory days of this website and haven't posted in recent memory.

I really hope you played Creighton back in the day, and shut them out twice, because if that is true, I appreciate that you crawled out of the Mines of Moria to Middle Earth Cave Troll them.
Oh you know we did. semifinals & quarterfinals: you can do the math on that one :)

Although we also played Plainview twice in the playoffs and they were successfully able to score 12 points on our junior varsity. They didnt get hurt because our jv went against our varsity every day in practice. So while it is baptism by fire, it is not the end of the world to sub your guys out first. I wouldnt recommend doing it for more than a half quarter though.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT