ADVERTISEMENT

D-1 thoughts

About 1,000 good teams. I like Creighton, Hemingford in West Final. Think Hemingford, Fullerton would be a classic in the quarterfinals. Heartland, GACC in the East Final.

WEST:
-#1 Creighton walks to the quarterfinals, they will face Elm Creek (who beats Burwell in round 2)
-#2 Fullerton has a tough matchup with Amherst in round 2, but I think they advance to face Hemingford in the quarterfinals.
-#3 Hemingford will walk to the quarterfinals with ease.

Creighton defeats Elm Creek in the quarters and goes on to face Fullerton. I think Fullerton beats Hemingford, but in a close one. Hemingford is hard to judge because they have not played anyone. I know last year they made the finals, but it's hard to do twice in a row.

Creighton makes it from the West. I just don't see anyone beating them, they just can't be stopped.

EAST:
-#1 Friend gets to the quarter finals after beating High Plains Community in round 2.
-#2 BDS gets to the quarter finals and takes on #3 Heartland.
-#4 Howells-Dodge and GACC will meet again in round 2, and I think H-D gets it done this time.

I'm going to say Howells-Dodge gets the upset in the quarterfinals over Friend. They take on BDS in the semi's and finally fall.

BDS makes it from the East.

It will be one heck of a final. I say Creighton 45 BDS 38.

West:
Creighton over Twin Loup
Elgin/Elgin Pope over Neligh Oakdale
Elm Creek over Arapahoe
Burwell over Perkins County
Hemingford over Shelton
North Central over Blue Hill
Amherst over Ansley-Litch
Fullerton over Sutherland

Creighton over Elgin/Elgin Pope.....Big blowout.
Burwell over Elm Creek... Burwell finished strong over Amherst so that's why I choose them, but its a toss up IMO.
Hemingford over North Central...Hemingford hasn't played anyone, but I think they are good enough to win here.
Fullerton over Amherst...Fullerton pulls away late.

Creighton over Burwell...Big spread here too I think.
Fullerton over Hemingford...Hemingford hasn't played anyone this good.

Creighton over Fullerton...toughest game for both teams. Creighton by 14ish.

East:
Friend over Cross County
High Plains over Diller-Odell
GACC over Pawnee City
Howells-Dodge over Cedar Bluff
Heartland over Lourdes Central
Hartington-Newcastle over Clarkson/Leigh
Scribner-Snyder over Bloomfield
BDS over Omaha Christian

Friend over High Plains...don't know much about either.
GACC over Howells-Dodge...by 2-3 TD's.
Heartland over Hartington-Newcastle
BDS over Scribner-Snyder....this one could be close, upset watch.

Friend over GACC....close toss up.
BDS over Heartland...close one, BDS pulls through.

Friend over BDS...much like their regular season game.

Creighton over Friend...Creighton has just been on a roll this season.

I really think folks should watch out for High Plains if they can beat Diller-Odell. The four teams they have lost to are 31-1 (GACC, BDS, Heartland, Fullerton). They beat Blue Hill. Then, they'd get a home game with Friend. You never know...

I still think Heartland has more weapons than anyone on that East side and the BDS coach felt the same way when I talked to him. Should be a great class to watch.

Originally posted by atlanta_ace:

I really think folks should watch out for High Plains if they can beat Diller-Odell. The four teams they have lost to are 31-1 (GACC, BDS, Heartland, Fullerton). They beat Blue Hill. Then, they'd get a home game with Friend. You never know...

I still think Heartland has more weapons than anyone on that East side and the BDS coach felt the same way when I talked to him. Should be a great class to watch.
I agree, no one should overlook High Plains. They could be a dangerous team.

Im going to make this real easy on everyone. With respect to everyones opinions, I've coached in the East and now coach in the west, Hemingford is as good as I've seen. They lost one kid (a good one for sure) off their state runner up team from a year ago, a team that was up 18-0 on Exeter-Milligan. I'm not going to say much just sit back and watch them in the playoffs, they are unreal.

It's hard to say how good hemingford is, they played probably one of the easiest schedules in the entire class. I think that may hurt them when they have to play 4 Quarters against someone.

Alot people thought same thing about Hemingford last year? Skinner kid is a tough runner and not afraid to bring the wood when playing defense. This is same team as last year and with more expierience.

I think the two key games are Creighton vs Hemingford in the West final and BDS vs Heartland in the East semifinal. Both should be classic 8 man football games. Lots of people are giving up on BDS because of a 2 point loss on the last play of the game in Friend. But many may not realize that games was the 5th game of a murderous slate including Blue Hill, High Plains, Giltner, Diller-Odell and Friend. The key game that should tell what kind of talent this team has is against pre-season D-2 #1 Giltner. The game was tied at half and BDS put 36 unanswered points on them in less than 9:00 of the 3rd quarter. The let-down against Friend was unfortunate, but this team played the toughest schedule in the state by far and was one play from escaping unscathed. That being said, Heartland is loaded with talent, as well. Their schedule has not been as tough but they have been very impressive. I won't make a prediction on either game, But I'd wager that the champion... and probably the final two... will come from these 4 teams.

Well I am glad that everyone has the finals picked. We should just cancel the rest of the playoffs and jump straight to the semi-finals. Good luck to all teams!

Originally posted by fearameer82014:
Well I am glad that everyone has the finals picked. We should just cancel the rest of the playoffs and jump straight to the semi-finals. Good luck to all teams!
LOL. You started the thread and asked for thoughts. Now people give them and we cancel the playoffs. Good stuff.

Originally posted by EC junky:

Alot people thought same thing about Hemingford last year? Skinner kid is a tough runner and not afraid to bring the wood when playing defense. This is same team as last year and with more expierience.
Hemingford is good, real good, but I just do not see them beating Fullerton and Creighton in back to back weeks. Creighton has crushed people all year with a way better schedule. Hartington-Newcastle, Howells-Dodge, Elgin/Pope John and Bloomfield are a hell of a lot better than the teams on Hemingford's schedule.

Creighton comes out of the west. I know Skinner and his crew are good, but Creighton is on another level. In my opinion, they will win Class D1 this year.

It's amazing how little respect the defending D1 runner-up has gotten. I'm seeing the same thing with D2 and Stuart. Both teams played pretty well last year and this year, and both bring back almost their full team. That's gotta count for something, right? I know that Hemingford has had an easier schedule than some, but let's look at history (I've heard it tends to repeat itself). Last year we heard the same things about the Cats, but look at the quarter and semifinal wins. Elm Creek and Overton were salty teams that Hemingford beat somewhat handily, then they went toe to toe with Exeter-Milligan, who was the favorite in my mind from the minute they lost to EPPJ the year before. I'm not saying they are going to win it, but I think they deserve to be considered the team to beat.

Anyway, it isn't often that the West side is considered the strongest. Kind of strange to see Creighton in the West. They have been right on the line for a couple of years, and then when they finally get over there it is the better field. The Bulldogs should be the favorite on that side of the bracket. It is entirely possible that the Elm Creek/Burwell game decides the fate of D1 West (assuming all of the seeds hold). Also assuming EPPJ beats Neligh (they did earlier, but now have a few kids out), Creighton will be at home throughout most of the playoffs. If Elm Creek wins, the Bulldogs go there, but if Burwell wins and Hemingford comes out over Fullerton (or even Amherst), Creighton goes to Hemingford for their first road game. I really think the host team wins it. Now it's way to early to say, but if the seeds hold in the 2nd round, which is what most people seem to be thinking, it will be interesting to see how travel plays into it.

On the East side, with apologies to Friend and Heartland, who I don't know much about, it has to be GACC and BDS right? I don't see Howells-Dodge beating GACC, and I tend to think that great programs that have been there before have the upper hand. (I think Burwell is a great example - maybe not as talented as in some years but they have that edge and experience)

Plain and simple, with no disrespect for other teams, but BDS and Hemmingford are the top dogs in D-1. Hemmingford will win it all this year.

I hadn't looked that closely, but it does appear that the balance has shifted to the West. I'd say it's very close but with the East usually being top-heavy it is nice to see it more balanced or maybe slightly stronger in the West. You had Exeter-Milligan drop to D-2, Blue Hill drop into D-1 (and into the West bracket) and Creighton ended up in the West for a change. You have Heartland and Friend that are newcomers to the scene in the East. Should make for a very interesting playoff. I will still stand my top 4 but it won't be easy.

Just don't count Friend out it was no fluke they beat Bds tuff team but it will be interesting how the bracket plays out!

I like Hemmingford a lot in this class. I thought last year that EM was actually pretty lucky to beat them. EM scored on a broken play and I think Hemingford was physically dominating, them but just couldn't get their hands on Sluka.

I'm having a tough time choosing between Creighton and Hemingford out of the west and I think Heartland will be the finalist from the east. I will give Hemingford the edge to win it all as they came oh so close last year and think they have something to prove.

Well I haven't been on the board much this year but since my son is a senior I guess I might as well throw in my $.02. I am a fan of a team who has played both BDS and Heartland. They are both very good teams but in my opinion Heartland is better. I feel in life you make most of your own luck so I won't use that word but in all reality BDS was very fortunate to beat Blue Hill. There were a couple of things which happened toward the end of the game which could have affected the outcome. Blue Hill had scored with a few minutes left in the game, held BDS on the next series, had the ball and was running the clock out. Blue Hill went for it on fourth down, after the play the ball was moved from the sideline to the hash mark and then the officials decided to measure for a first down. They were short by a few inches. Now I'm not saying Blue Hill had the first down, but I'm pretty sure it was not in the exact location as when it was originally marked on the sideline. The second involved the pass play BDS scored the winning touchdown on. They had two people in motion and they did not reset, illegal motion was not called. It was early in the series and BDS may still have scored but that play should have never counted. Enough of that. There are several good teams on both the East and West. I wish the NSAA would put the games on a couple of different nights so you could watch more of them. Should be fun.

Hemmingford, rolls to the west title folks. They are way more physical than most 8 man teams. Yes their regular season schedule sucked, it won't matter. They have the experience of last year. That Skinner kid is a beast.

I saw in Bob's D-1/D-2 Crystal Ball that he says Grant Norder from BDS might not be in the lineup this week. What happened there? Is it just a 1 week thing, or is it something more permanent? If it is, I would imagine that hurts bad going forward.

Hemingford is already rolling. 57-0 and there's still 10:47 left till halftime.

Edit: 64-0 at halftime.
This post was edited on 10/30 4:10 PM by unavailableusername

Norder is a bit banged up... if it were a bigger game he might've played tonight. They are up 50-0 early 4th qtr, so they obviously didn't need to risk playing him tonight. I don't think it's a serious injury.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT