ADVERTISEMENT

Football Declarations for 2024-2025 Two-Year Cycle (Updated 11/30)

Updated list of above with declarations as of November 7. Additions to the list

11-Man
Bellevue East
Blair
Conestoga
Crete
Fremont Bergan
Gibbon
Hastings
Kearney
Lexington
Lincoln High
Lincoln Northeast
Lincoln Northwest
Lincoln Southeast
Lincoln Standing Bear
Millard South
Millard West
Norfolk
Omaha Central
Omaha North
Omaha Westview
Papillion-LaVista

8-Man
Bertrand
Bloomfield
Boyd County
Chambers/Wheeler Central
Exeter-Milligan/Friend
Falls City Sacred Heart
Humphrey St. Francis
Laurel-Concord-Coleridge
Lawrence-Nelson
Pender
Shelby/Rising City
Twin Loup
Winside

6-Man
Ansley/Litchfield
Crawford
Elba (JV only)
Hay Springs

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
What was DT's proposal?
Prop 1 was to expand the school (class rooms and what not) 25 mil
prop 2 was to add a new gym and renovate the other gym 9 mil
The big issue per facebook post was taxes.

To me it only makes sense for them and giltner to start talking with the way everything is trending instead of trying to push multimillion dollar bonds separate.

Last edited:
Reactions: northeastNebraska
Updated on Nov. 15 with the following additions:

11-Man
Alliance (Opt C1)
Aurora
Battle Creek
Centura
Doniphan-Trumbull
Fillmore Central
Omaha Benson
Omaha Burke
Omaha Northwest
Schuyler (Opt C1)
Wahoo Neumann

Gibbon now listed as Opt C2, if necessary and Nebraska City now listed as Opt C1

8-Man
Centennial
David City
Elgin/Elgin Pope John
Elkhorn Valley
Freeman
Fullerton
High Plains
Johnson County Central
Johnson-Brock
McCool Junction
Mullen
Niobrara/Verdigre
North Central
St. Edward/Newman Grove
Summerland
Tri County

6-Man
Arthur County
Banner County
Diller-Odell
Medicine Valley
Sioux County
Sumner-Eddyville-Miller

Prop 1 was to expand the school (class rooms and what not) 25 mil
prop 2 was to add a new gym and renovate the other gym 9 mil
The big issue per facebook post was taxes.

To me it only makes sense for them and giltner to start talking with the way everything is trending instead of trying to push multimillion dollar bonds separate.
Wakefield bond also failed.

Updated on Nov. 15 with the following additions:

11-Man
Alliance (Opt C1)
Aurora
Battle Creek
Centura
Doniphan-Trumbull
Fillmore Central
Omaha Benson
Omaha Burke
Omaha Northwest
Schuyler (Opt C1)
Wahoo Neumann

Gibbon now listed as Opt C2, if necessary and Nebraska City now listed as Opt C1

8-Man
Centennial
David City
Elgin/Elgin Pope John
Elkhorn Valley
Freeman
Fullerton
High Plains
Johnson County Central
Johnson-Brock
McCool Junction
Mullen
Niobrara/Verdigre
North Central
St. Edward/Newman Grove
Summerland
Tri County

6-Man
Arthur County
Banner County
Diller-Odell
Medicine Valley
Sioux County
Sumner-Eddyville-Miller
Centennial, David City and Tri County all declared 8-man

I'd be all for...

Class A 11 man
Class B 11 man
Class C 11 man
Class D1 9 man
Class D2 8 man
Class D3 6 man

Otherwise, go to increase the 8 man number and go to five classes.

Reactions: Husker7562
or increase enrollment to 52 or 53 instead of creating another form of football that would not be able to play anyone but 9-man teams
I'm fine with raising the cut off for 8 man up, but how high does it need to be raised? There are schools with boy only enrollments in the 60's and 70's opting down to play 8 man. They either need to not allow opt downs or make it so that the schools that opt down are only playing each other.

I'm fine with raising the cut off for 8 man up, but how high does it need to be raised? There are schools with boy only enrollments in the 60's and 70's opting down to play 8 man. They either need to not allow opt downs or make it so that the schools that opt down are only playing each other.
I agree with that, I would like to see someone try just 50 and pass it and see how it goes, but totally agree with teams opting down should at least be a choice for other schools who are eligible to play them or not play them.

Ya'll making me agree with Nut, I don't know how I feel. We don't live in a state that needs four types of football, come on! We have roughly 2.0 million people. Texas has roughly as many schools playing 6 man as we have schools playing football, and they don't even see a need for 9 man. Only 4 states do, from what I can tell - North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Oregon. From what I can tell, only Oregon has all four types (6, 8, 9, 11), and that probably makes sense with how diverse the population distribution is in that state. There is no benefit to it, in the slightest. Raise the 8 man number however you need too, potentially including a buffer zone (+/- 20 kids where a school can choose which type they play with no penalty in a 2 year cycle, for example) and be done with it.

To be clear on my post - I'd advocate a number (for example, 50) being the 8 man cut-off. With that number, I'd advocate that schools within a certain range above it (10? 20? I don't care) can choose to play in either class. That protects schools with declining populations who want to hold onto 11 man traditions as long as they can, and also produces a NSAA legal means for struggling schools to opt into the 8 man class they barely exceed but should really probably be playing in. I'd advocate the same at the top (class A/B line as well, but I don't think that would ever gain traction.

I'm all in for schools that opt down to only play each other. That way their points don't impact the teams eligible for the postseason.

I'm all in for schools that opt down to only play each other. That way their points don't impact the teams eligible for the postseason.
Agree. These schools should only play each other and fill their schedules out with schools that agree to play them. Most the time they are a school that will be in the bottom half of the class record wise, but giving schools the ability to say yes/no would be nice. Probably make it a headache for Nehaus doing the schedules though. If my number is 37 and I'm at the bottom of the class numberswise I wouldn't be thrilled to see a school with a 70 number on my schedule without agreeing to it. That's for sure.

What needs to be done is a deep dive into participation rates in effort to make the voting schools understand the reason behind the need to raise the number. Every time one of these proposals gets voted down I shake my head. I've said it before, IT IS NOT 1980.

And the "Just change the culture" argument is not a solution. Can the right coach in the right situation increase participation? Absolutely, but not enough in a short enough amount of time to make a difference before declarations need to be made. Making decisions for the 2025 season in 2023 inherently sets some schools up for failure. There is no crystal ball to know what kids will or will not go out for football and the stigma attached to opting down does nothing but exacerbate the problem.

Reactions: Ruttingbuck
Agree. These schools should only play each other and fill their schedules out with schools that agree to play them. Most the time they are a school that will be in the bottom half of the class record wise, but giving schools the ability to say yes/no would be nice. Probably make it a headache for Nehaus doing the schedules though. If my number is 37 and I'm at the bottom of the class numberswise I wouldn't be thrilled to see a school with a 70 number on my schedule without agreeing to it. That's for sure.
All I'll say about that is I honestly disagree. With one exception (who was 0-8 this year) nobody who opts down and has a 70+ number is beating up on smaller schools. Generally the opt down team is among the weakest school on a team's schedule.

All I'll say about that is I honestly disagree. With one exception (who was 0-8 this year) nobody who opts down and has a 70+ number is beating up on smaller schools. Generally the opt down team is among the weakest school on a team's schedule.
The 6 schools that were not eligible had a record of 11-37 and The bottom 6 schools that are in the correct class were 3-45 So they are not good but better than some but if you are a struggling school playing in the class you are suppose to, This may not be a struggle you want to deal with and should at least have a choice not to play them.

I continue to be baffled by the people on this board that suggest reducing the number of classifications we have in football. What would that solve?

It would put more schools in each class, which is not a positive thing.
It would widen the enrollment gap from the top of each class to the bottom of each class, which is not a positive thing.
It would do nothing to change the eligibility numbers for 8-man and/or 6-man. 47 and 27 are related to males in 9-10-11, not number of teams in the classification.

I agree. Said that much in my original post as well. These schools generally don't have much success. Especially their first few years as they learn a new game. Same goes with the teams dropping from 8 to 6.

There will be a team eligible for D1 playoffs with near double the enrollment of the smallest D1 school. That is wild...

That's what I have too
I think there will be 2 or 3 teams with enrollment of 37 that could jump to D1 based on my calculations. There looks to be several at 37, who would the largest 3 schools be based on the 3-year average? Sandhills Valley, Cambridge, H-D??

D1 to D2 cutline looks to be 37. Potential 1 or 2 teams with enrollment of 37 will be D1.
Where did you get your numbers? NDE Website? The numbers on the NSAA website are from the fall of 2022. I believe the new cycle for 2024 & 25 will be based on the fall of 2023 numbers

Last edited:
It's the same way in C1 and C2 also...
teams going down to D2 will probably be: Elmwood Murdock, wheeping water,, Bancroft roslie, Lyon Decatuer Northeast, Cedar Bluffs, Neligh Oakdale, North Central, Nebraska Christian, and Bayard
Teams coming up from D2 to D1 are probably BDS, Howells Dodge Franklin, Central Valley, Boyd County, Dundy Co, East Butler, ,Pender , Creighton Com Johnson Brock, Hemmingford
Teams LEAVING 8-MAN CROSS COUNTY, CONASTOGA and not sure who else
teams back or new to 8man, Tri County and centennial

Last edited:
teams going down to D2 will probably be: Elmwood Murdock, wheeping water, Palmyra, Bancroft roslie, Lyon Decatuer Northeast, Cedar Bluffs, Neligh Oakdale, North Central, Nebraska Christian, and Bayard
Teams coming up from D2 to D1 are probably BDS, Howells Dodge Franklin, Central Valley, Boyd County, Dundy Co, East Butler, ,Pender , Creighton Com Johnson Brock, Hemmingford
Teams LEAVING 8-MAN CROSS COUNTY, CONASTOGA and not sure who else
teams back or new to 8man, Tri County and centennial
Nut I believe you just have a typing error, but Palmyra will be 11 man....

Their number is around 75, and from what I've heard they are likely to stay (Move up from current 8 man status) 11-man so long as they are C2...which they would most likely be.

Nut I believe you just have a typing error, but Palmyra will be 11 man....

Their number is around 75, and from what I've heard they are likely to stay (Move up from current 8 man status) 11-man so long as they are C2...which they would most likely be.
Haven't they been opting down for 6+ years...?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT