ADVERTISEMENT

Eustis-Farnam/Elwood Co-op

HappyTrail3200

Freshman
Sep 14, 2017
http://krvn.com/regional-sports/elwood-eustis-farnam-to-form-sports-co-op/

I don't know if this has been posted yet between all the spam messages but Eustis-Farnam and Elwood will be forming a co-op starting next year for all sports besides football and then for football starting in 2020. The name and mascot that has been proposed is the Hi-Line Rams with Scarlet and Grey being the colors.

http://krvn.com/regional-sports/elwood-eustis-farnam-to-form-sports-co-op/

I don't know if this has been posted yet between all the spam messages but Eustis-Farnam and Elwood will be forming a co-op starting next year for all sports besides football and then for football starting in 2020. The name and mascot that has been proposed is the Hi-Line Rams with Scarlet and Grey being the colors.
Nice! That’s a great co-op. Will be great for both schools. Odd name. Why Hi-Line?

Nice! That’s a great co-op. Will be great for both schools. Odd name. Why Hi-Line?
In the old days the highway that runs from Grant to Holdrege (Highway 23) was called the Hi-line and the schools along it (Wallace, Maywood, Farnam, Eustis, Elwood, Bertrand, Loomis) were in the "Hi-Line" conference. I think the little league baseball league in the area is still called the Hi-Line League.

In the old days the highway that runs from Grant to Holdrege (Highway 23) was called the Hi-line and the schools along it (Wallace, Maywood, Farnam, Eustis, Elwood, Bertrand, Loomis) were in the "Hi-Line" conference. I think the little league baseball league in the area is still called the Hi-Line League.
Nice. That’s a cool homage to the past.

The Hi-Line is the plateau between the Platte and Republican watersheds. Since it was near Highway 23 in many areas, Highway 23 was dubbed "the Hi-Line". Many people still call it that

Last edited:
Reactions: northeastNebraska
My great grandpa was a member of the crew that built the original railroad aIong the Hi-Line. My great grandma said she was done travelling so they homesteaded along the tracks near Elsie. That's how my father's family ended up in West Central Nebraska

Last edited:
So speaking of schools down that way, if co-ops continue would Arapahoe head west to Cambridge now? Has Bertrand or Loomis ever talked about co-oping or consolidating?

I’ve always enjoyed following Fort Kearny and RPAC schools.

So speaking of schools down that way, if co-ops continue would Arapahoe head west to Cambridge now? Has Bertrand or Loomis ever talked about co-oping or consolidating?

I’ve always enjoyed following Fort Kearny and RPAC schools.
Bertrand-Loomis is a Co-op for XC, Wrestling, and FFA

A few years back the Legion baseball team from Grant was known as Hi-Line. Many of these schools co-op summer sports that aren’t school related. It seems the kids are fine with the idea but the parents or grandparents have the issue.

A few years back the Legion baseball team from Grant was known as Hi-Line. Many of these schools co-op summer sports that aren’t school related. It seems the kids are fine with the idea but the parents or grandparents have the issue.
I think Hi-Line Co-op (an ag co-op in the area) has a location in Grant so that may have also played a factor

The state should step in to force a lot of consolidations IMO.

Medicine Valley-Maywood
Logan View-Scribner-Snyder
Wakefield-Allen
Maxwell-Brady

On and on.
I was looking at school enrollment numbers in sw nebraska, maywood under 100, hayes center under 100. The way I read it that is total.

The state should step in to force a lot of consolidations IMO.

Medicine Valley-Maywood
Logan View-Scribner-Snyder
Wakefield-Allen
Maxwell-Brady

On and on.
The state has very little power. The reason they have little to no power is because in the state of Nebraska most schools are 90% funded my local tax dollars and if that voting groups wants to keep and fund its school, the state will stay out of it because they don't want to fund schools. Heck there is a lot of schools in this state that get almost zero state funding

Reactions: Alum-Ni
The state has very little power. The reason they have little to no power is because in the state of Nebraska most schools are 90% funded my local tax dollars and if that voting groups wants to keep and fund its school, the state will stay out of it because they don't want to fund schools. Heck there is a lot of schools in this state that get almost zero state funding

I suppose the state may not want to take over funding schools, but I don't see why merging schools would require the state to do so.

School districts exist at the mercy of the state. I don't really like how I worded that first sentence, but I couldn't really think of a better way to put it that's also accurate. Maybe by the directive of the state. If the state chose to do so, they can merge, dissolve, break-up, etc. any school district as they see fit. If a merge is ordered, the two existing districts would just become one and I would assume continue to fund as they did before.

I suppose the state may not want to take over funding schools, but I don't see why merging schools would require the state to do so.

School districts exist at the mercy of the state. I don't really like how I worded that first sentence, but I couldn't really think of a better way to put it that's also accurate. Maybe by the directive of the state. If the state chose to do so, they can merge, dissolve, break-up, etc. any school district as they see fit. If a merge is ordered, the two existing districts would just become one and I would assume continue to fund as they did before.
They can do so based on only if they are not meeting state requirements in accreditation, they can not do so just because they think it needs to be done. If those local tax payers want a school and that school stays within state accreditation rules the state has no power. In other states to force consolidation the state department had to rework the formula and this probably will not happen in Nebraska because the state does not want to increase funding to schools on their part. Its kinda a double edge sword, the state gets off cheap in Nebraska as most of the funding for schools is local tax payers, bad part of this is the state has very little control over schools, the good part is the local tax payer can decide what he or she sees as best funding for their students.

They can do so based on only if they are not meeting state requirements in accreditation, they can not do so just because they think it needs to be done. If those local tax payers want a school and that school stays within state accreditation rules the state has no power. In other states to force consolidation the state department had to rework the formula and this probably will not happen in Nebraska because the state does not want to increase funding to schools on their part. Its kinda a double edge sword, the state gets off cheap in Nebraska as most of the funding for schools is local tax payers, bad part of this is the state has very little control over schools, the good part is the local tax payer can decide what he or she sees as best funding for their students.

That doesn't jive with what I was taught, relatively recently, but I'm not finding anything to back up my prior teaching, so I will take you at your word on that. Perhaps my instructor meant only by act of legislature and was not clear on that. Thanks.

That doesn't jive with what I was taught, relatively recently, but I'm not finding anything to back up my prior teaching, so I will take you at your word on that. Perhaps my instructor meant only by act of legislature and was not clear on that. Thanks.
Maybe your instructor went to a Class A or B school, these schools receive and much larger portion of their overall budget from the state but rural district recieve very little and in some cases almost none, several rural district recieve less than 5% of the budget from state

If the state does decide to decrease property tax and shift state funding to a 50% formula to all districts ( they can do this by increasing sales tax on goods and many goods and services that are not currently taxed) You will see the state push hard for consolidation and seeing this happen in states like Illinois and Iowa you will have a mass change in schools and you will not have a class D2 and very few D1 Does it need to happen Financially speaking, well maybe, but at a cost of losing many many rule towns and communities where ones school district maybe the largest employer in the area

Maybe your instructor went to a Class A or B school, these schools receive and much larger portion of their overall budget from the state but rural district recieve very little and in some cases almost none, several rural district recieve less than 5% of the budget from state

Sorry, I meant in regards to the power to force closures, mergers, redrawn lines, etc.

Funding I have a better grasp on.

This.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT