ADVERTISEMENT

Football Five Classes of Football Classification Model

northeastNebraska

All-State
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2008
Highway 30
So in my spare time, I've been on something for a few months now, finally got it complete (I think) 😂 . This is just for fun, so don't get all mad about it. I'd be intrigued to get back to five classes of football in Nebraska. Why?

-Decline of population in rural areas throughout the state.
-Popularity of the 6 man game is growing.
-Lack of consolidations.
-Too many forfeits due to numbers especially in C2.
-Too many opt downs.
-IMO teams outside of the Omaha/Lincoln/GI/Kearney would fair better in Class B over the long haul.

A, B, C (11 man)
D1 (8 man)
D2 (6 man)

Right now there are 280 teams in the NSAA that play football. What if it looked like this.

-Class A, B and C still play a 9 game schedule.
-Classes D1 and D2 play an 8 game schedule.
-Opt downs are not allowed.

Class A: Top 24 teams per enrollment (enrollment using last year's model would be 593 and up.)
Class B: Next 32 largest teams per enrollment (enrollment using last year's model would be 552-184. )
Class C: The next 60 largest teams per enrollment (enrollment using last year's model would be 170-59)
Class D1 (8man): The next 82 teams by enrollment. (enrollment using last year's model would be 58-35)
Class D2 (6man): The smallest 82 teams by enrollment. (enrollment using last year's model would be 34 and below)

Class A: Four districts with six teams. A 16 team playoff (4 district champs, 12 wildcards) The final four teams in the previous year are placed in separate districts.
Class B: Four districts with eight teams. A 16 team playoff (4 district champs, 12 wildcards)
Class C: 10 districts with six teams. A 16 team playoff (10 district champs, 6 wildcards) This one was hard, because I feel like 16 isn't enough, but 32 is too many)
Class D1: 12 districts (10 districts with 7, 2 districts with 6). A 32 team playoff (12 district champs, 20 wildcards, reseed after round of 32)
Class D2: 12 districts (8 districts with 7, 4 districts with 6). A 32 team playoff (12 district winners, 20 wildcards, reseed after the round of 32)

Class A districts:
District 1District 2District 3District 4
GretnaOmaha WestsideCreighton PrepGrand Island
Omaha CentralOmaha SouthMillard WestOmaha Bryan
Millard NorthOmaha BurkeMillard SouthPapillion La Vista
Papillion La Vista SouthBellevue WestOmaha BensonOmaha North
Lincoln EastLincoln North StarLincoln SouthwestLincoln Southeast
Lincoln NortheastLincoln HighOmaha NorthwestKearney

Class B districts:
District 1District 2District 3District 4
Elkhorn NorthGretna EastWaverlyScottsbluff
FremontElkhorn SouthPius XGering
South SiouxBellevue EastNorrisNorth Platte
NorfolkRalstonStanding BearLexington
ColumbusBenningtonBeatriceNorthwest
BlairBuena VistaLincoln NorthwestHastings
SchuylerWestviewNebraska CityCrete
Mt. MichaelSkutt CatholicPlattsmouthSeward

Class C districts:
District 1District 2District 3District 4District 5District 6
PlatteviewAshland-GreenwoodFort CalhounLakeviewPierceFairbury
SyracuseRaymond CentralOmaha RoncalliScotusWayneMilford
Falls CityWahooOBT/CornerStoneDC WestO'NeillDavid City
ConestogaLincoln LutheranOmaha GrossLVSSWPBCentennial
LouisvilleLincoln ChristianConcordiaNorth BendBooneWilber-Clatonia
AuburnBishop NeumannBoys TownArlingtonBattle CreekMalcolm
District 7District 8District 9District 10
AuroraWood RiverCozadAlliance
Adams CentralKearney CatholicGothenburgSidney
YorkGibbonValentineMitchell
Central CityCenturaMcCookChadron
Fillmore CentralOrdBroken BowOgallala
MindenSt. PaulHoldregeChase County

Class D1 (8 man) districts:
PalmyraYutanTekamah-HermanWisner-PilgerCroftonEPPJ
Johnson County CentralBerganHowells-DodgeStantonTCNENeligh-Oakdale
SouthernOakland-CraigLyons-DecaturClarkson-LeighPoncaSummerland
FreemanCedar BluffsGACCMadisonCedar CatholicElkhorn Valley
Johnson-BrockOCA-StreetPenderTwin RiverHartington-NewcastlePlainview
Weeping WaterShelby-Rising CityBancroft-RosalieNorfolk CatholicLCCNorth Central
Elmwood-MurdockMeadWakefieldLHNEHomerWest Holt
District 7District 8District 9District 10District 11District 12
GICCHeartlandRavennaAlmaHersheyMorrill
HSCCross CountyPleasantonHi-LineSutherlandGordon-Rushville
Sandy CreekEMFArcadia-LCCambridgeSandhills ValleyKimball
Doniphan-TrumbullMcCool JunctionAmherstSouthern ValleyPerkins CountyBridgeport
SuperiorTri CountyRiversideArapahoeNPSPHemingford
Thayer CentralSuttonNebraska ChristianMaxwellSouth LoupBayard
Blue HillAquinasAinsworthHitchcock

Class D2 (6 man) districts:
HTRSGiltnerBloomfieldFullertonMeridianCentral Valley
LourdesLawrence-NelsonCreightonHSFWil-HilPalmer
SterlingSilver LakeWausaHumphreyAxtellSt. Edward
LewistonHarvardOsmondOsceolaFranklinNebraska Lutheran
Parkview ChristianRed CloudWynotEast ButlerSheltonElba
FCSHDeshlerRandolphHeartland LuterhanKenesawHigh Plains
Pawnee CityDiller-OdellWalthillWinsideDorchesterHampton
District 7District 8District 9District 10District 11District 12
Boyd CountyAnselmo-MernaBradyHay SpringsPaxtonLeyton
StuartTwin LoupMedicine ValleyCody-KilgoreWallaceGarden County
CWCAnsley-LitchfieldSouthwestCrawfordMHCBanner County
SanteeSandhills-ThedfordBertrandSioux CountyDundy CountyMinatare
Niobrara-VedigreMullenLoomisHyannisWauneta-PalisadePotter-Dix
St. Mary'sSEMOvertonArthur CountySouth PlatteCreek Valley
BurwellElm Creek

The biggest gripe I have with this is you are taking 66% of class A teams to the playoffs (16 of 24), 50% of class B (16 of 32), but only 26% of class C (16 of 60). Class C has the most parity in the 11 man grouping to begin with. I don't think it makes sense to make it be the most difficult to qualify

The biggest gripe I have with this is you are taking 66% of class A teams to the playoffs (16 of 24), 50% of class B (16 of 32), but only 26% of class C (16 of 60). Class C has the most parity in the 11 man grouping to begin with. I don't think it makes sense to make it be the most difficult to qualify
I thought about having a 24 team playoff in class C with the district champs getting a bye. But couldn’t get the numbers right. They could do a 32 team bracket and reseed.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
I thought about having a 24 team playoff in class C with the district champs getting a bye. But couldn’t get the numbers right. They could do a 32 team bracket and reseed.
I don't know what the answer is. Talk to coaches and they will tell you they don't want a bye...and 32 is too many. Like @99SEMIFINAL said, class B is already small. A and B are way out of proportion in terms of teams that qualify in our existing system. Its a tough spot.

I don't know what the answer is. Talk to coaches and they will tell you they don't want a bye...and 32 is too many. Like @99SEMIFINAL said, class B is already small. A and B are way out of proportion in terms of teams that qualify in our existing system. It’s a tough spot.
Agreed. It’s just fun to put together. I’ve always felt Class A should be the top 24 teams and that’s it. Doesn’t need to be any bigger.

so you think Norfolk Catholic wants to play 8 man football. I highly doubt that is going happen.

so you think Norfolk Catholic wants to play 8 man football. I highly doubt that is going happen.
Or O-C, Cedar Catholic, Aquinas, or Yutan...

Meanwhile, as previously stated, we would take a far lower percentage of teams in your Class C. C1 and C2 have had some of the best playoffs for the last 5-10 years. There are some issues with teams at the bottom of C2 that need to be addressed, but this is a bit too much for my liking.

Reactions: taylorblackshirt
Fun exercise for the summer. I have said it once before on here but will throw this out there again. It needs to be fixed from the top down. Add a Class AA and take the Metro-Lincoln and probably GI out of the equation then work your way down. Then there can only be 1 class of C. It will make tour numbers better. Chase County should not be in the same class as Plattesview and Wahoo.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
I'm honestly impressed with this - rarely do you see a class A/B list in Nebraska that feels like each of the schools actually belongs in those classes - I agree with you that class A benefits from being smaller, not bigger, and class B needs to be a set number of schools.

For playoffs, I agree that the percentage seems "off" but I don't know what you can do. Doesn't South Dakota have every team make the playoffs in their Big School class?

In Class A and B, you could maybe look at adding another game to the regular season and then an 8 Team Playoff.

I have personally never had an issue with the percentage of teams that qualify in a given class. I know that some people do.

I think you have done a pretty good job of looking at this with open eyes. As I said above, there will certainly be some teams that opt up, but again I have no issue with that either.

Under this type of system, there would likely be several teams opt up. I don't see a problem with it. Others may not like it.
Opt ups are fine. I think this system would eliminate opt downs. Or at least in my dream scenario, the NSAA says opting down is no longer allowed at the varsity level. If you want to opt down, you have to play a JV schedule.

In Class A and B, you could maybe look at adding another game to the regular season and then an 8 Team Playoff.

I have personally never had an issue with the percentage of teams that qualify in a given class. I know that some people do.

I think you have done a pretty good job of looking at this with open eyes. As I said above, there will certainly be some teams that opt up, but again I have no issue with that either.
Thanks! It took some time, but it was fun. I think using a set cut off number (like top 24 in enrollment for A, bottom 82 for 6 man)

I think an 8 team playoff could work in Class A if schools get 10 games.

I’d really like to see schools like Fremont and North Platte in a revamped Class B.

Could you imagine being the 8 man or 6 man champion? Saying you’re the best team out of 82 teams? That’s a true state champion.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT