ADVERTISEMENT

Football Franklin cancels football season (Southern Valley September 30th update)

Wallace dropped their schedule as well so that's where some of the opponents for the schools on Franklin's schedule are coming from.

Sandhills at Loomis
Giltner at Paxton
Wa-Pa at Bertrand
Axtell at Brady

There is also a game between two of Wallace opponents I've been made aware of that will be played at a neutral site. Not sure if it's been officially announced.

Last edited:
Wallace dropped their schedule as well so that's where some of the opponents for the schools on Franklin's schedule are coming from.

Sandhills at Loomis
Giltner at Paxton
Wa-Pa at Bertrand

I know of one other game between Wallace and Franklin opponents but I'm not sure it's been announced yet. There is also game between two of Wallace opponents I've been made aware of that will be played at a neutral site. Not sure if it's been officially announced either
Wow, sad to see for Wallace. I remember going to watch them play Hay Springs a few years back.

I still feel if kids want to play and their school drops the season, those kids should be able to play elsewhere for the season without penalty.

Wow, sad to see for Wallace. I remember going to watch them play Hay Springs a few years back.

I still feel if kids want to play and their school drops the season, those kids should be able to play elsewhere for the season without penalty.
Wallace put themselves in a tough spot by not dropping to six man the last cycle. The numbers showed what needed to be done. Now the kids are the ones that are effected.

Last edited:
Wallace put themselves in a tough spot by not dropping to six man the last cycle. The numbers showed what needed to be done. Now the kids are the ones that are effected.
Agree. Schools have to be more aggressive when it comes to this. Either drop down a class or co-op. Seasons should never be cancelled due to these reasons.

I can guarantee Wallace kids would rather play varsity with Sutherland or Hayes Center than play a JV schedule alone.

This is going to continue happening until schools and the powers that be accept that participation rates now are not what they were 20 plus years ago. A school might report their male enrollment to the NSAA as 40 but the reality is most schools are lucky to have a 50% participation rate, especially in football. The stubborn need to live in the past as opposed to dealing with the reality of the current climate and doing what is best for the athletes brings us to teams forfeiting games during the season and now forfeiting full seasons. Completely avoidable if even a small dose of logic is applied to the situation.

This is going to continue happening until schools and the powers that be accept that participation rates now are not what they were 20 plus years ago. A school might report their male enrollment to the NSAA as 40 but the reality is most schools are lucky to have a 50% participation rate, especially in football. The stubborn need to live in the past as opposed to dealing with the reality of the current climate and doing what is best for the athletes brings us to teams forfeiting games during the season and now forfeiting full seasons. Completely avoidable if even a small dose of logic is applied to the situation.
Agree 100%.

Sad but I'm sure we'll see more forfeited seasons and individual games in the next few weeks. The second year of the two year cycle is always rough.

Sad but I'm sure we'll see more forfeited seasons and individual games in the next few weeks. The second year of the two year cycle is always rough.
It sucks. Southern Valley not having a season effects teams all across the state in Classes C1 and C2. I wish they would join up with Alma.

Good to hear, better hope for no injuries. I still think next cycle they should co-op with someone.
Southern Valley has a mid cycle number of 52 boys. Not sure if they really need to co-op. If numbers are a concern for them, they should look at 8 man first in my opinion.
I would agree with you 43. They're a C2 school that's had success in sports in the last decade. They don't seem to struggle with numbers in other sports.

Reactions: runningback43
Two questions for the good people of the Huskerland Prep message boards.

1. Could moving to a one year scheduling cycle help eliminate some of the issues with forfeits? The participation numbers seem to be very fluid and making a school declare in November of 2019 and hope their projections hold through the 2021 season seems to me a stretch.

2. Why are schools forced to declare their classification intentions before any proposals for changing the classification numbers are heard and voted on? If a school is on the fence about where to play, they are required to make a decision without all the information necessary to make said decision.

I’m not trying to reignite the opt down argument, I just want to better understand the perceived need for the 2-year cycle and what seems to me a seemingly backward process for schools to declare their classification intentions.

Two questions for the good people of the Huskerland Prep message boards.

1. Could moving to a one year scheduling cycle help eliminate some of the issues with forfeits? The participation numbers seem to be very fluid and making a school declare in November of 2019 and hope their projections hold through the 2021 season seems to me a stretch.

2. Why are schools forced to declare their classification intentions before any proposals for changing the classification numbers are heard and voted on? If a school is on the fence about where to play, they are required to make a decision without all the information necessary to make said decision.

I’m not trying to reignite the opt down argument, I just want to better understand the perceived need for the 2-year cycle and what seems to me a seemingly backward process for schools to declare their classification intentions.

Spot on. We can put a man on the moon but somehow only manage to create highschool football schedules once every two years.

I don't have the answers to your questions, but I believe the 2 year football schedules is to try and keep home and away games balanced.

As far as number 2 goes, that is the one that really baffles my mind. If the NSAA is going to make a school declare they should move up the process for proposals. It's just going to keep getting worse in my opinion. Of course schools need to really look at what their enrollments are going to be and also do a better job of figuring their participation before they do declare. For instance if you have 10 8th graders out for football this year, you better plan on only getting 6 or 8 of them to come out as freshmen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT