4. Cody-Kilgore
5. S-E-M
6. Red Cloud
7. Pawnee City
8. Hay Springs
9. Wilcox-Hildreth
10. Sterling

Contenders: Garden County, Wallace

This guy hates Parkview Christian as much as Ukraine hates Russia! If you look at returning production its hard not to have Parkview there.
Thing about Parkview(at least in basketball) they will have 7 new players not even on their roster last year, each and every year, with at least two exchange students that just happen to be real good basketball players every year LOL

Thing about Parkview(at least in basketball) they will have 7 new players not even on their roster last year, each and every year, with at least two exchange students that just happen to be real good basketball players every year LOL
You just don't understand how hard it is for a small D2 school to manage to find players in a city of 300k people....

Not sure what they will have around him but the Vargas kid from Garden County is going to be a terror in 6 man this year. Good arm and plenty fast to be a tough matchup for most 6 man teams

Would love to see Potter-Dix bring the title home.
I would love to see anyone but Parkview, but they return more than anyone and just as stated above, if the NSAA is going to allow a school in a city of 300,000 that blatantly recruits to compete in the states smallest class, Im forced to pick them.

I would love to see anyone but Parkview, but they return more than anyone and just as stated above, if the NSAA is going to allow a school in a city of 300,000 that blatantly recruits to compete in the states smallest class, Im forced to pick them.
Parkview is an outlier no question. Not defending them but if they were that actively recruiting, they should be bigger than D2 right?

Not D2 (8-man 2 in football). Even smaller. D6. I would never pick them to win 8-man 2. They would get destroyed in that class.

Foreign exchange students are immediately eligible, which helps skirt the NSAA max numbers in football. Their bball coach is on the AAU circuit and calls himself the Coach Calipari of D2 basketball.

Last edited:
Foreign exchange students are immediately eligible, which helps skirt the NCAA max numbers in football. Their bball coach is on the AAU circuit and calls himself the Coach Calipari of D2 basketball.
I get that. How many of these foreign exchange students are playing football?

Parkview is an odd school. They don't promote themselves a lot. Kids aren't going there. They must be content with having 15 kids per grade. I don't know how they can survive like that.

There is no way they are turning away kids.

I'm not sure the total, but their best player (football and basketball) is from the Ukraine I believe.

I get that. How many of these foreign exchange students are playing football?

Parkview is an odd school. They don't promote themselves a lot. Kids aren't going there. They must be content with having 15 kids per grade. I don't know how they can survive like that.

There is no way they are turning away kids.
C'mon northeast - you know how those "scholarships" work. Just takes a couple wealthy donors to support the private school athlete-students ;););););)

I have no ties to Parkview Christian.

I personally grow tired of the constant attacks on Parkview. Parkview is not breaking the rules. Rather than the negative comments directed to a school that operates within the rules, perhaps we should be analyzing the rules.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how the rules could be changed to eliminate the type of loopholes that seem to cause such hard feelings?

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
I think any kid who is attending the school from outside the home district, at any school not just private, should count as 1.5 towards the NSAA count. For a private school, just use the public district they reside in as their home area and any kid outside that gets the multiplier. For reference, I would not consider Parkview to be in LPS district, I would limit them to North Stars area.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
I think any kid who is attending the school from outside the home district, at any school not just private, should count as 1.5 towards the NSAA count. For a private school, just use the public district they reside in as their home area and any kid outside that gets the multiplier. For reference, I would not consider Parkview to be in LPS district, I would limit them to North Stars area.
So basically the parochial school enrollment times 1.5 and classify from there. All kids in parochial schools are coming from outside the home district. Maybe I am misunderstanding you. I would have no problem with your proposal. I believe parochial schools should have a multiplier.

In addition, I believe that the school that lost that student should get a -1.5 toward their count as well. (Whatever the number is, 1.5, 1.3, whatever)

This guy hates Parkview Christian as much as Ukraine hates Russia! If you look at returning production its hard not to have Parkview there.
No one hates, just figured this is how the post would go, private 6 man school that recruits openly in large city and abroad, nothing wrong I guess, keep the numbers right and keep winning

I’ll never understand the multiplier. It’s basically admitting your kids at your school can’t compete.

Kids should be able to go to school where they think they’ll thrive. If the public school district has issues, poor facilities, poor fan support in the town you live in and want to go to the school 7 miles away, you should be able to do that.

Heck if a family lives in Beatrice but they want to send their kid to Freeman 26 miles away, that’s great. Go where you think your kid will have the best experience.

So basically the parochial school enrollment times 1.5 and classify from there. All kids in parochial schools are coming from outside the home district. Maybe I am misunderstanding you. I would have no problem with your proposal. I believe parochial schools should have a multiplier.

In addition, I believe that the school that lost that student should get a -1.5 toward their count as well. (Whatever the number is, 1.5, 1.3, whatever)
If parochial schools should have it, so should Adams Central, Battle Creek, Amherst, Omaha Westside, Norris, Waverly, Freeman, Elm Creek, Hershey, ScoBlo, Ogallala I could go on and on.

C'mon northeast - you know how those "scholarships" work. Just takes a couple wealthy donors to support the private school athlete-students ;););););)
Sure, but if you think that’s happening on a regular basis, how do they only have 24 boys 9-11 grade? If they are just handing money out (which they aren’t) why wouldn’t they want more athletes to at least be D1?

This isn’t the SEC and Ole Miss.

Not sure what they will have around him but the Vargas kid from Garden County is going to be a terror in 6 man this year. Good arm and plenty fast to be a tough matchup for most 6 man teams

Parkview is an outlier no question. Not defending them but if they were that actively recruiting, they should be bigger than D2 right?
I am not against private schools but i am against scholarships or reduce tuition for any student playing a NSAA sport I like the idea of 1.5 for all schools So if you excepts a transfer from another district that kid counts as 1.5 for each kid transferring from another district Private schools would count anyone outside the district their school is in.

I am not against private schools but i am against scholarships or reduce tuition for any student playing a NSAA sport I like the idea of 1.5 for all schools So if you excepts a transfer from another district that kid counts as 1.5 for each kid transferring from another district Private schools would count anyone outside the district their school is in.
Private schools don’t have districts. Are you saying the kids that live in Norfolk (example) won’t count against the 1.5 at Norfolk Catholic? But if a kid lives in Stanton and wants to go to NC, he counts as 1.5?

I have never understood the 1.5 rule. Why does it matter if kids transfer schools? Why does it matter where kids go no matter their residence? Why would you punish Pierce for accepting transfers from Norfolk Public Schools? Or Kearney Catholic for accepting a transfers from Kearney Public Schools?

Private schools don’t have districts. Are you saying the kids that live in Norfolk (example) won’t count against the 1.5 at Norfolk Catholic? But if a kid lives in Stanton and wants to go to NC, he counts as 1.5?

I have never understood the 1.5 rule. Why does it matter if kids transfer schools? Why does it matter where kids go no matter their residence? Why would you punish Pierce for accepting transfers from Norfolk Public Schools? Or Kearney Catholic for accepting a transfers from Kearney Public Schools?
Private schools choose who they accept and public schools don’t have that option, every kid counts the same, private schools have higher participation rates in activities because that is a key reason why parents choose to pay.

I a saying exactly what I said. The private school will use the borders of the district they are in.

If parochial schools should have it, so should Adams Central, Battle Creek, Amherst, Omaha Westside, Norris, Waverly, Freeman, Elm Creek, Hershey, ScoBlo, Ogallala I could go on and on.
I agree, they should have it. Each public school in Nebraska has an geographic district. That district exists for purposes of tax dollar allocation. Schools like Adams Central and Lakeview (2 arbitrary examples) still have a geographic district. When a student comes from outside the borders of that geographic area, that student would be subject to that multiplier. I just happen to believe the district that student leaves should also get a -1.5 for that student.

This is not my idea, but I admit it has some merit.

Private schools choose who they accept and public schools don’t have that option, every kid counts the same, private schools have higher participation rates in activities because that is a key reason why parents choose to pay.
Omaha Skutt, Prep, Marian, Roncalli do this because they have placement exams.

I promise you, smaller Catholic schools are not turning away families who want a Catholic education are willing to pay tuition.

Public schools in certain cases don’t have to accept students. Adams Central doesn’t have to take a student from the Hastings High district.

Also, why punish schools with higher participation rates? That’s the most asinine thing I’ve heard. Sorry that some schools have poor participation rates, that doesn’t have anything to do with private schools.

I promise you, smaller Catholic schools are not turning away families who want a Catholic education are willing to pay tuition.

Public schools in certain cases don’t have to accept students. Adams Central doesn’t have to take a student from the Hastings High district.

Also, why punish schools with higher participation rates? That’s the most asinine thing I’ve heard. Sorry that some schools have poor participation rates, that doesn’t have anything to do with private schools.
I don't think any posts here are really suggesting that participation rates be factored in. I may have missed something. I agree with you, we can't penalize schools that do a good job at getting their students to participate.

Hastings High has more transfers from AC right now that go the other way. Just FYI. Been true for the last 5-6 years. Maybe more.

(I've said before, the factor that is statistically demonstratable in affecting athletic success is poverty level. Free and reduced lunch percentages are much more accurate at predicting athletic success than whether a school is at the top of the enrollment list in a class or the bottom. If any changes from count-only classification were to be made, that's where to look, not private/public.)

Reactions: bballcoach15
Hastings High has more transfers from AC right now that go the other way. Just FYI. Been true for the last 5-6 years. Maybe more.

(I've said before, the factor that is statistically demonstratable in affecting athletic success is poverty level. Free and reduced lunch percentages are much more accurate at predicting athletic success than whether a school is at the top of the enrollment list in a class or the bottom. If any changes from count-only classification were to be made, that's where to look, not private/public.)
I will agree with that 100%. social economics has way more to do with winning and losing than anyone wants to admit

Reactions: GrizzzlyPanda
That seems fairly reasonable at first glance.
That simply isn't true. I know of several cases where option students are allowed in and "non- athletic" option students have been denied.

Reactions: TC53

What % of D1 football and basketball players were free and reduced types during their school years?

A public school doesn't have to accept any option students.....but if a student resides within the district boundaries, the school must accept them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT