D2-12
Crawford vs. Hay Springs (Friday)

GIRLS

DISTRICTS

CLASS A

A-6

Lincoln North Star 51, Fremont 29
Lincoln Pius X 31, Columbus 28

Two early calculations have Dundy County host Humphrey/LSF and Howells-Dodge hosting Bridgeport. Obviously they will play both at neutral sites and this is nowhere near official but wow what a drive for these teams.

Two early calculations have Dundy County host Humphrey/LSF and Howells-Dodge hosting Bridgeport. Obviously they will play both at neutral sites and this is nowhere near official but wow what a drive for these teams.
Cross state match ups happen all the time in the round of 16 in football, but there's rarely complaints about that. District finals are the equal. Call them what you want, playoffs, district finals, whatever. Just my .02.

Cross state match ups happen all the time in the round of 16 in football, but there's rarely complaints about that. District finals are the equal. Call them what you want, playoffs, district finals, whatever. Just my .02.
I’m not complaining I’m just saying that we live in a big state and sometimes people forget how big our state is. I personally think the home team should play at home regardless of the distance.

I’m not complaining I’m just saying that we live in a big state and sometimes people forget how big our state is. I personally think the home team should play at home regardless of the distance.
Agreed 100%

Frankly it's insane. And not justifiable to any reasonable person. A complete waste of time, resources, and money. To drag kids all over the state, for no good reason, is simply a sign that we've lost all perspective when it comes to high school sports. Compared to Texas, for one example, WE'RE the crazy ones...

Everyone in C-1 is done. If the pts don't move much due to other classes....

Wahoo v St. Paul
Ogallala vs Adams Cent.
Ashland-G v Winnebago
Pierce v Scotus
Om. Conc. v Holdrege
Sidney v Wayne
Cent. City v Aurora
Auburn v Lincoln Luth.

Or I could be wrong.

Frankly it's insane. And not justifiable to any reasonable person. A complete waste of time, resources, and money. To drag kids all over the state, for no good reason, is simply a sign that we've lost all perspective when it comes to high school sports. Compared to Texas, for one example, WE'RE the crazy ones...
In my opinion, it comes down the a general philosophy of what a State Tournament is supposed to represent.

I can see your side here in that you would rather see 8 "regional champions" reach the State Tournament (or 6 + 2 wildcards or whatever variation). There is certainly nothing wrong with that, if that is what the member schools want to do.

Or the other side is the idea of wanting the best 8 teams to play their way into the State Tournament, in which case this is the only way that I know to do it. At the most extreme, Falls City to Crawford is a 4 hour drive to meet in the middle. Howells Dodge to Bridgeport is about 3. It is certainly a long haul even meeting in the middle.

I would be in favor of the "Regional Champion" as long as it was 6 regions and 2 wildcards. I would even support 4 + 4. What I can't get behind is a Regional system that leaves out one of the best couple teams in the state due of a bad night or a player battling through a 24 hour flu like illness.

Reactions: mgbreis
I would be in favor of the "Regional Champion" as long as it was 6 regions and 2 wildcards. I would even support 4 + 4. What I can't get behind is a Regional system that leaves out one of the best couple teams in the state due of a bad night or a player battling through a 24 hour flu like illness.
I agree with you for the most part, but I'm not in favor of the "regional champs" strategy at all. It's a state tournament and should strive to include the best 8 teams as much as is possible. I'm with you that driving 3-4 hours to meet for a game in the middle is not a big deal. All schools make huge investments in time, resources and money throughout the regular season, it would be making a mountain out of a molehill to say the LAST game before state we suddenly can't justify the cost. It is a very exciting experience for the teams, parents and communities to make those trips! I get why an administrator or a board member might not like it.

I agree with you for the most part, but I'm not in favor of the "regional champs" strategy at all. It's a state tournament and should strive to include the best 8 teams as much as is possible. I'm with you that driving 3-4 hours to meet for a game in the middle is not a big deal. All schools make huge investments in time, resources and money throughout the regular season, it would be making a mountain out of a molehill to say the LAST game before state we suddenly can't justify the cost. It is a very exciting experience for the teams, parents and communities to make those trips! I get why an administrator or a board member might not like it.
This sums it all up. Nailed it.

I prefer the system we currently use. I reread my post and didn't really clearly state that.

I want to see 7 competitive games per class rather than 1st round blowouts.

I really like our current system. Makes teams win to get to Lincoln and helps to make sure the best 8 teams in the state are playing for the Championship in each class.

I really like our current system. Makes teams win to get to Lincoln and helps to make sure the best 8 teams in the state are playing for the Championship in each class.
I agree. I don't like to see teams qualifying for State coming off of a loss.

With that said, I also believe that @HighPlainsCoach has some valid points as well. I get this from past threads and interactions with him. Not to speak for him, but generally he was of the opinion that we don't have to cater to the goal of the best 8 teams and can award berths on a regional basis. That is certainly not wrong.

The thing I like about our NSAA system in all activities is that the majority rules and that majority is our individual schools that have a vote. At least there isn't a small group of people not personally effected making these decisions.

Reactions: runningback43
In my opinion, it comes down the a general philosophy of what a State Tournament is supposed to represent.

I can see your side here in that you would rather see 8 "regional champions" reach the State Tournament (or 6 + 2 wildcards or whatever variation). There is certainly nothing wrong with that, if that is what the member schools want to do.

Or the other side is the idea of wanting the best 8 teams to play their way into the State Tournament, in which case this is the only way that I know to do it. At the most extreme, Falls City to Crawford is a 4 hour drive to meet in the middle. Howells Dodge to Bridgeport is about 3. It is certainly a long haul even meeting in the middle.

That's a good post. For myself, I could care less about any philosophy except for two factors: Give me the teams that could win state realistically and whats best for kids and families. The ridiculous way we do football and basketball playoffs does ONE of those. Using geography as the basis, like we used to, does BOTH. I think you're referring to my correcting someone who said that "the state tournament was designed to get the best..." No. it wasn't. It was designed to bring the best of the different parts of the state together. A "State Fair" of hoops one leader described it. In fact initially it was fully an invitational at it's inception. No team was EVER left home that could have realistically won state, once we instituted the wild card. The best 4, 5 teams made state. And they are the only ones that really matter from a Championship standpoint. If one or two from one of the corners or some district by a yearly fluke of talent sneak in, I could care less. Anyone who really likes this format has to absolutely HATE the NCAA men's tournament. If they don't, they are complete hypocrites.
And, while I'm not one of them, western folks get completely screwed by this deal. Almost any C1 school that Bridgeport might host has probably already been eliminated by them in the Subs.
For a family from Crawford to go to Sacred Heart, or vice versa, will incur hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars ($732.20 per irs) in travel costs alone, since every family drives safe, dependable, fuel efficient vehicles. It is a MINIMUM of 17 hours drive time round trip. Add in that most people lose wages (not a problem for the pajamma class) or have to be gone 2 days of calving, lambing, harvesting, it all adds up. I do forget that only rich kids can be successful so maybe we shouldn't consider economics.
Do you know what insurance actuaries say about mileage? From a safety standpoint, every single mile driven increases the risk of something bad happening. A small risk, to be sure, but increased with each mile. Probably a good thing all these extra miles aren't driven in bad visibility, or at times of dicey weather conditions, or that it's a time when deer are moving in large numbers.
Some risks, costs, inconveniences are impossible to avoid. These are eminently avoidable. And for almost no benefit. That's the crazy thing. Every year since we started doing this I glance at C & D. The difference? Between 1 and 2 teams per class. The average has never been more than 1.8 teams. And only one of those teams that wouldn't have qualified, have even won a first round game! So in essence, we're just choosing which team gets to treasure a first round loser T shirt.
You mention a safety net for a really great team that has some illness or a bad night? THAT risk is far, far greater with these winner-take-all sub state games. If Maywood or St Pats, or apparently JB were to lose would that change the fact that those teams have seperated themselves from the rest of the class? The top two teams lose because of the factors that you mentioned and Elm Creek (0-2 against both) and Dundy County (0-4) qualify is that the "best" field?
I could go on. :) But let me just end with this:
We have a plan that does very little to change the competetive balance of the state tournament, NOTHING to change to eventual result of the class (except possible dillute it with a top team getting picked off), and impose a hardship on nearly everyone...sounds brilliant.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
That's a good post. For myself, I could care less about any philosophy except for two factors: Give me the teams that could win state realistically and whats best for kids and families. The ridiculous way we do football and basketball playoffs does ONE of those. Using geography as the basis, like we used to, does BOTH. I think you're referring to my correcting someone who said that "the state tournament was designed to get the best..." No. it wasn't. It was designed to bring the best of the different parts of the state together. A "State Fair" of hoops one leader described it. In fact initially it was fully an invitational at it's inception. No team was EVER left home that could have realistically won state, once we instituted the wild card. The best 4, 5 teams made state. And they are the only ones that really matter from a Championship standpoint. If one or two from one of the corners or some district by a yearly fluke of talent sneak in, I could care less. Anyone who really likes this format has to absolutely HATE the NCAA men's tournament. If they don't, they are complete hypocrites.
And, while I'm not one of them, western folks get completely screwed by this deal. Almost any C1 school that Bridgeport might host has probably already been eliminated by them in the Subs.
For a family from Crawford to go to Sacred Heart, or vice versa, will incur hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars ($732.20 per irs) in travel costs alone, since every family drives safe, dependable, fuel efficient vehicles. It is a MINIMUM of 17 hours drive time round trip. Add in that most people lose wages (not a problem for the pajamma class) or have to be gone 2 days of calving, lambing, harvesting, it all adds up. I do forget that only rich kids can be successful so maybe we shouldn't consider economics.
Do you know what insurance actuaries say about mileage? From a safety standpoint, every single mile driven increases the risk of something bad happening. A small risk, to be sure, but increased with each mile. Probably a good thing all these extra miles aren't driven in bad visibility, or at times of dicey weather conditions, or that it's a time when deer are moving in large numbers.
Some risks, costs, inconveniences are impossible to avoid. These are eminently avoidable. And for almost no benefit. That's the crazy thing. Every year since we started doing this I glance at C & D. The difference? Between 1 and 2 teams per class. The average has never been more than 1.8 teams. And only one of those teams that wouldn't have qualified, have even won a first round game! So in essence, we're just choosing which team gets to treasure a first round loser T shirt.
You mention a safety net for a really great team that has some illness or a bad night? THAT risk is far, far greater with these winner-take-all sub state games. If Maywood or St Pats, or apparently JB were to lose would that change the fact that those teams have seperated themselves from the rest of the class? The top two teams lose because of the factors that you mentioned and Elm Creek (0-2 against both) and Dundy County (0-4) qualify is that the "best" field?
I could go on. :) But let me just end with this:
We have a plan that does very little to change the competetive balance of the state tournament, NOTHING to change to eventual result of the class (except possible dillute it with a top team getting picked off), and impose a hardship on nearly everyone...sounds brilliant.
There is nothing in here that I disagree with.

This post is a perfect example of why I like to follow along with you. You and I can fight tooth and nail over an issue (see the Malcolm Softball Coach thread from this fall 🤣) and I can respect your opinion and respect you for vocalizing that opinion.

As I said above, I personally prefer the current system. I do however understand your point and could live with a Regional situation with 2 or even 4 Wild Card berths....if that is what our schools decided to do.

And you are correct, I was referring to a past post when you shared your thoughts on what the State Tournament was designed to do.

Reactions: runningback43
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT