ADVERTISEMENT

Second Round Matchups Breakdowns and Predictions: Classes C1 and C2

northeastNebraska

All-State
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2008
Highway 30
Class C1:

#1 Ashland-Greenwood @ #9 GICC: Grand Island Central Catholic was the only low seed to win in the first round of the playoffs. (35-35 in OT against #8 Wilber-Clatonia.) A-G travels this week to GICC, I think this game could be close, GICC has gotten after it after a slow start to begin the season. Have they caught "lightning in a bottle?" We will see, but I can't go against A-G, they have so much talent and were playoff tested last year. Ashland-Greenwood wins, 35-24.

#5 Chadron @ #4 Cozad: Both teams come into this game, 9-1. Chadron lost to Class B Sidney 0-48 in week 1, while Cozad lost to Kearney Catholic 27-20 in week 4. Cozad wins this game after Chadron struggled with a rugged Ogallala team last week. The Haymkers march on to the semi-finals. Cozad wins 27-14.

#6 Kearney Catholic @ #3 Columbus Scotus: Both teams come into this game 9-1, Catholic lost to GICC late in the season, 13-20, while Columbus Scotus lost in week one to Boone Central 31-14. Scotus has been on a roll since the week 1 loss to Boone, including beating one of the Class C2 favorites, David City Aquinas in week 2. Kearney Catholic has played a few tight games this year, including last weeks win over Boys Town in OT. I give this matchup to the home team, the Shamrocks get it done. Columbus Scotus wins, 33-18.

#7 Norfolk Catholic @ #2 Boone Central: The last time these two met, Boone won 32-16, that was two weeks ago. I know it's hard to beat a team twice…I just don't see it. The beatdown Boone gave NC is still fresh in their minds, and I think that is in favor of Boone Central. This has been a hell of a rivalry over the past decade, and it's always a great game when these two meet. But Boone Central is going to get it done, and in my opinion, win Class C1 this year. Boone Central wins 24-17.

Class C2:

#8 Archbishop Bergan @ #1 Battle Creek: Bergan has had a great season, including last weeks win against Malcolm, but it all comes to an end on Friday. Battle Creek is the real deal this year in Class C2, owning big wins over 9-1 Oakland Craig, 41-6, 7-3 Stanton 35-7, and 8-2 Hartington Cedar Catholic 36-14. I don't know if anyone can stop the Braves this year. Battle Creek wins, 42-14.

#5 David City Aquinas @ #4 Hastings St. Cecilia: Tesmer vs Mimick, two of the greatest high school coaches in the state of Nebraska going at it. Both teams are 8-1, Aquinas losing in week 2 against Class C1 Columbus Scotus, 13-16. While St. Cecilia lost to a 9-1 Sutton team 26-20. I know the transitive property doesn't work in football, BUT Aquinas did beat Hartington CC, who just beat Sutton by 13 last week. Something to think about? Probably not, but I'm going with David City Aquinas, they want to get back to Lincoln. Aquinas wins in OT, 28-21.

#3 Freeman @ #11 Hartington Cedar Catholic: Cedar Catholic got a HUGE win last week on the road against a previously unbeaten Sutton team, 27-14. Now Freeman has to travel a ways to Hartington to take a team that is feeling pretty good over its win from last week. Honestly, I don't see this one being close. Hartington Cedar Catholic wins 31-10.

#7 Oakland-Craig @ #2 North Platte St. Pat's: Both teams took care of business last week fairly easy. Oakland-Craig is 8-1, their only loss coming to Battle Creek in week 2. While NPSP has beaten every team they have faced this year, really only being tested in week 1 on the road against the defending state champions, Doniphan-Trumbell. This is a long bus ride for Oakland-Craig, who doesn't have to travel far for games. Drew McClellen from NPSP and Nick Alrt from OC are going to be fun to watch going against each other. McClellen is one of the states best kickers as well, booting at 58 yard field goal last year. That may be the difference in this ball game. This is a pretty even matchup in my eyes, but the home team wins it. North Platte St. Pat's wins, 17-14.

I'd love to see more predictions as well!

OC has their QB back and he put up some big numbers in their 1st round win. He will make a huge difference for them because it takes a lot of the offensive pressure off of Arlt.
Also, why aren't people giving Freeman any respect on this board? I haven't seen them play, but I can't see a blowout at all in this one. Their resume is very impressive on the year. They had the one loss early, but they were probably still adjusting to playing 11 man.
BC will win by at least 14+
Aquinas wins in a tight one

I would will make some BOLD ones and admit if I am wrong and Gloat if I am correct
happy.r191677.gif

Ashland-Greenwood by 20

Cozad By 17

Columbus Scotus by 17

Boone Central by 20

C2
Battle Creek by 24

Aquinas by 14

Hartington CC by 22

Oakland Craig by 14

NO close games in the final scores all 14+ victories

Chidog, I could definitely see the OC-NPSP game being flipped, both are two excellent teams. I see Mitchell for OC threw for 278 and 5 TD's. That is pretty damn impressive. I'll be at this one and can't wait for it.

For me, HCC is just on a roll. They beat a great Sutton team last week by two TD's on the road. While Freeman got by Stanton by 5 at home. With the way HCC won last week, Freeman having to travel all the way to Hartington, I just don't see them winning. Cedar is a great team, and has a good chance to make the finals in my opinion.

I have to agree that the HCC-Freeman game will not be close. I've seen Freeman play and I have seen many of the other teams they have played play, as well. They had a great season. They were over-seeded due to a relatively easy district. Southern was also the beneficiary of a weaker schedule in that same district, which allowed them to go 7-2 and add to Freeman's point total. I'm not here to slam either team. I just know that a team that shut down Sutton's running game and beat them by 2 TDs on the road is going to handle Freeman at home even easier. The game still has to be played and I wish them the best and hope I am wrong.

No Freeman love here either.

They did not complete one pass against Stanton....and I think everyone will agree that HCC is slightly better than Stanton.

I would expect a 3 touchdown game.

Freeman does not know what to expect, nor should they be expected to, when a physical team comes out of NE Nebraska. It's just a different ball game that is played up there.

Originally posted by Wildcat1621:

No Freeman love here either.

They did not complete one pass against Stanton....and I think everyone will agree that HCC is slightly better than Stanton.

I would expect a 3 touchdown game.

Freeman does not know what to expect, nor should they be expected to, when a physical team comes out of NE Nebraska. It's just a different ball game that is played up there.
Totally agree with this. HCC went down and played a good Sutton team with one of the states best running backs and beat them by two TD's.

If there were a Top 10 in C2 for northeast Nebraska teams, Stanton would probably be 4th in C2, behind Battle Creek, Oakland-Craig and Hartington CC. Freeman is going to have their hands full.

I went to the Stanton-Freeman game and Stanton was driving for the go ahead score and they were ruled out of bounds on a 4th down reception where they evidently thought the catch was good, so that game could have went either way. Stanton is small and undersized . They only play 2-3 seniors, so I'm not sure what HCC has as far as experience. With all that being said Freeman is a good football team. They appear to have very good skilled players and a defensive lineman that gave Stanton all kinds of problems. I think Freeman deserves credit for a great season so far, they don't control who is on their schedule,

HCC has 17 seniors and 12 juniors and average 240 up front might be a little different than stanton but you never know and yes they do deserve credit on a great season win or lose

This post was edited on 11/4 7:42 PM by highschoolfootballnut

now that SAKHUSKER has ended his season of coaching, playing and being a fan it's nice that he still has time to chime in on his thoughts of the games and what he feels the outcomes of the games will be. good to see you are still on the board.

I see I have another follower with nothing better to do than comment on my posts about a post... rather than the post itself. You guys are so articulate and clever. I'm sure everyone wishes you wrote blogs to entertain them...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT