ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Summer baseball discussion

Sean Callahan

All-State
May 29, 2001
With Legion Baseball officially a no-go figured I'd start a thread on the next move. Legion baseball itself was already dying nationally, what will this do to it long term?

Sounds like in Class A, schools already have their "Plan B" in place to play a small 15-20 game summer schedule. They are just waiting on the OK from the governor. June 1 seems to be the date floating around for youth/HS sports to return to practice, etc.

What else is everyone hearing? What happens to Class B and C towns that don't have spring baseball? Will some try to play a shortened schedule?

I think one of the 1st challenges will be finding insurance for players. Without player coverage, I think you'd be crazy to even start anything.
If teams/leagues can find coverage, I see no reason they can't play as long as the Gov opens things up. But I think an association or city is still risking liability if someone goes to the event and gets infected. Do I believe this is right, not really, but this is the age we live in.

Does anyone know if USSSA is insuring team/players right now? I'm mainly familiar with USA/ASA softball, and as of right now, insurance is suspended, and you cannot even sign up new teams/players.

IMO, I could see things being opened up to practice in June, and games in July between 2 teams. I see no way that crowd restrictions are lifted enough to have multi-field complexes having tournaments this summer. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but a 4 field complex would have 100+ people with just players/coaches/umpires. I don't see the crowd size number going from 10 on May 31 to over 100 by July 1.

Restrictions that will be in place when baseball/softball resumes in June:

• Players should use their own gloves, helmets and bats as much as possible
  • Fan attendance will be limited to household members of the players on the team. No use of bleachers for fans. Fans must bring their own chairs or stands. Fans should keep six (6) feet of social distancing between different household units. No fan seating or standing is allowed in the area from behind home plate to six (6) feet past the far end of each dugout.
  • Teams to play next must be provided designated areas for player warm-ups that provide for necessary social distancing
  • Post-game handshakes or interaction between teams are prohibited
  • When games end, the leaving team must sanitize the dugout area. No post-game talks at the field are permitted. Fans and players must leave the playing area and return to their cars immediately after the game.
  • The team to play next must remain in their designated warm up area until the prior team has finished sanitizing and is completely out of the dugout
  • Fans for upcoming games must remain in their cars during player warm ups. They will be permitted to come to the field once the team they are there to watch enters the dugout area.
  • Restrooms must be cleaned and sanitized regularly while players and fans are present. Markings should be placed on the ground to ensure individuals waiting to use the restroom are spaced six (6) feet apart
  • Players must bring their own water/beverage to consume during and after practices and games. No shared drinking fountains or coolers.
  • Players must bring their own snacks to consume during and after practice/games. No shared/communal snacks.
  • Coaches must sanitize equipment before and after each practice and game.
  • Concessions stands are not allowed to be open
  • Team organized practices and games for other sports (i.e. soccer and basketball) remain suspended. Gov. Ricketts said softball and baseball were selected to resume because they involve limited contact.

Last edited:
I think one of the 1st challenges will be finding insurance for players. Without player coverage, I think you'd be crazy to even start anything.
If teams/leagues can find coverage, I see no reason they can't play as long as the Gov opens things up. But I think an association or city is still risking liability if someone goes to the event and gets infected. Do I believe this is right, not really, but this is the age we live in.

Does anyone know if USSSA is insuring team/players right now? I'm mainly familiar with USA/ASA softball, and as of right now, insurance is suspended, and you cannot even sign up new teams/players.

IMO, I could see things being opened up to practice in June, and games in July between 2 teams. I see no way that crowd restrictions are lifted enough to have multi-field complexes having tournaments this summer. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but a 4 field complex would have 100+ people with just players/coaches/umpires. I don't see the crowd size number going from 10 on May 31 to over 100 by July 1.
Guess I was wrong, ha!

Teams can still go through the same company that the legion uses. K&K Insurance is the name of the company. The NE legion athletic association will be putting out guidance next week on going through with the season, including some insurance options, for waiver forms, etc.

Reactions: Sean Callahan
Teams can still go through the same company that the legion uses. K&K Insurance is the name of the company. The NE legion athletic association will be putting out guidance next week on going through with the season, including some insurance options, for waiver forms, etc.
Good to hear! I'm on a softball association, and it seems there 5 new scenarios and questions that arise every day!

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT