ADVERTISEMENT

Surprises thus far in the basketball season

GrizzzlyPanda

Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2021
Now that we are passed semester break in the basketball season, who are some teams in any class that have been relative surprises so far this year?

Anyways, Omaha Concordia Boys are six points away from being undefeated (3 point losses to NBC and Yutan). They can score a lot of points.

Lincoln Lutheran Girls are 8-1 with a new coach.

Ansley-Litchfield being 9-1 is interesting.

Anyways, Omaha Concordia Boys are six points away from being undefeated (3 point losses to NBC and Yutan). They can score a lot of points.

Lincoln Lutheran Girls are 8-1 with a new coach.

Ansley-Litchfield being 9-1 is interesting.
Watched Ansley-Litchfield’s only loss of the season vs Loomis, they’re solid. FKC really good again this year. Only problem is they don’t seem to compete when they face teams from the east at state.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Watched Ansley-Litchfield’s only loss of the season vs Loomis, they’re solid. FKC really good again this year. Only problem is they don’t seem to compete when they face teams from the east at state.
Coach Drew is familiar with state tournament runs! He coached a lot of great teams out of Giltner

The FKC is solid most years, but I think they all just beat up on each other so much in the regular season it’s hard to get rest before state. Amherst, Loomis, Elm Creek, Pleasanton, etc.

Milford's still undefeated after a losing record last year. Seven wins against teams with winning records.
I would agree with Milford. They are extremely well coached and you add a huge transfer that did nothing but add even more depth. Will be an extremely tough out for any team they play come district play.

Paxton only returned one starter from last year and their bench was relatively thin. Medicine Valley is young and athletic and you could say the same thing about Maywood Hayes Center. Medicine Valley will win 15 games and Mayhay won't be far behind!

Burwell has been impressive this year. I knew they were going to be good, but I didn't know they'd still be undefeated coming into January. That's a very balanced team with a lot of weapons.

As for Ansley-Litchfield, I've heard from those parents for a few years that they thought they were going to be good only to have the team be mediocre, so it's nice to see them finally put it together.

Shocked they still are able to have a school. Just close it and let kids go to St. Paul or Centura. The state needs to step in and close some of these schools that have one or two districts nearby.

Hard for the State to step in when they no longer fund schools. The threat of pulling funding is gone.

On the girls basketball side
A couple of teams that I have yet to watch in person that have surprised me so far are Ainsworth and O'Neill. Sounds like Ainsworth is fairly young this year but putting together quite the season. O'Neill's only loss is to a very solid Crofton team. They've got some quality wins over traditional power teams: Wayne, Pierce, North Central, etc. Coach Eichelberger is a proven winner wherever he's at and looks like his squad is putting together a fine campaign.
Elgin Public/Pope John isn't necessarily a surprise as they've had some success in recent years, but I'm telling you right now they've got some young girls that are playing like veterans already.
For boys basketball
I figured Elkhorn Valley would be having a better season than they are, must be dealing with injuries or possibly quarantine issues?
Not sure who's going to challenge St Mary's for the NVC championship?? Is it Stuart with coach Miller leading the way? The fact that you can't just name the second best team in that conference right away is a surprise.
Couple of things for the future... Don't sleep on West Holt and Summerland boys in the future. Right now they've got some loaded Junior high teams that if they stick together and continue to develop will be very good at the high school level.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Burwell known more for grappling and football but the boys hoop squad is the real deal, they have a talented group of lads who are big and can get caroms and can shoot the J, all around a pretty good hoops team.

A couple of teams that I have yet to watch in person that have surprised me so far are Ainsworth and O'Neill. Sounds like Ainsworth is fairly young this year but putting together quite the season. O'Neill's only loss is to a very solid Crofton team. They've got some quality wins over traditional power teams: Wayne, Pierce, North Central, etc. Coach Eichelberger is a proven winner wherever he's at and looks like his squad is putting together a fine campaign.
Elgin Public/Pope John isn't necessarily a surprise as they've had some success in recent years, but I'm telling you right now they've got some young girls that are playing like veterans already.
For boys basketball
I figured Elkhorn Valley would be having a better season than they are, must be dealing with injuries or possibly quarantine issues?
Not sure who's going to challenge St Mary's for the NVC championship?? Is it Stuart with coach Miller leading the way? The fact that you can't just name the second best team in that conference right away is a surprise.
Couple of things for the future... Don't sleep on West Holt and Summerland boys in the future. Right now they've got some loaded Junior high teams that if they stick together and continue to develop will be very good at the high school level.
The Ollendick brothers are both injured for EV.

when the going get tough and you don't agree with the coaches then just move, it's easy and quick solution, down the road when they get pissed at the boss do they just quit then too.

For boys basketball
Ummmm.... Wayne has zero history in girls basketball, how they can be so good in softball and volleyball and so bad in basketball is amazing. I don't know if they have ever made it to state and too lazy to care or look it up.

Reactions: Llama57
Ummmm.... Wayne has zero history in girls basketball, how they can be so good in softball and volleyball and so bad in basketball is amazing. I don't know if they have ever made it to state and too lazy to care or look it up.

They have had a bit of a revolving door situation with coaches the last 10-15 years, but yeah.....for all the softball and vb success, you would think some of that would translate to hoops. Their roster seems small (in quantity), so there must just not be a ton of interest in playing.

I did look up their history......they only have one state tournament appearance in school history, that being in 1993 (a one point loss to Schuyler in the opening round).

Reactions: Llama57
They have had a bit of a revolving door situation with coaches the last 10-15 years, but yeah.....for all the softball and vb success, you would think some of that would translate to hoops. Their roster seems small (in quantity), so there must just not be a ton of interest in playing.

I did look up their history......they only have one state tournament appearance in school history, that being in 1993 (a one point loss to Schuyler in the opening round).
I could go on for hours & hours...

Reminds me of Wisner-Pilger in basketball. I feel like for 10-15 years their boys hoops won 20+ games a year, but in football they never were better than 5-3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT