ADVERTISEMENT

Surprises thus far in the basketball season

True, they do not have much of a state tournament history, but the Wayne girls program did have 13 straight winning seasons from 05-06 to 17-18. During that stretch they won between 13 and 18 games every year. This is not a team that I have seen much of, but when I have, they seemed to be well coached and well prepared. Maybe having to face the likes of Crofton, Pierce, GACC and Norfolk Catholic every year has something to do with their lack of state tourney appearances.

True, they do not have much of a state tournament history, but the Wayne girls program did have 13 straight winning seasons from 05-06 to 17-18. During that stretch they won between 13 and 18 games every year. This is not a team that I have seen much of, but when I have, they seemed to be well coached and well prepared. Maybe having to face the likes of Crofton, Pierce, GACC and Norfolk Catholic every year has something to do with their lack of state tourney appearances.
That is part of it. The Mid-State Conference from 2003-2013 pretty much ruled C1 and C2.

Playing those schools, in theory should help them. From 05-06 to 17-18 only Pierce has been C1 the entire time. Crofton was only for a short bit at the very beginning. Norfolk Catholic has been C2 for a few years now. GACC has been either C2 or D1, half the size of Wayne. Wayne is always strange to me, in other sports as well. They are always at the top end of C1 in enrollment, have favorable demographics as a district, but just never seem to have success at the state level outside of softball.

Something else that seems to have hurt them in some years is standouts athletes in other sports who want to concentrate on just that sport. The one that comes to mind is Molly Hill who was an All State and D-1 pitcher. She didn't play basketball the last year or two of high school. I'm certainly not faulting her for that but just making the point that it hurts a program to not have an athlete of that caliber. I agree that the tough competition should help. Losses are losses, not matter what class they come against. It can still hurt power points and affect district seeding. We all know that in many cases teams like GACC, Crofton, Pierce, and Norfolk Catholic would present problems for a number of teams in any class. I was just trying to point out that while Wayne hasn't made many trips to Lincoln, they have had some pretty good teams.

Playing those schools, in theory should help them. From 05-06 to 17-18 only Pierce has been C1 the entire time. Crofton was only for a short bit at the very beginning. Norfolk Catholic has been C2 for a few years now. GACC has been either C2 or D1, half the size of Wayne. Wayne is always strange to me, in other sports as well. They are always at the top end of C1 in enrollment, have favorable demographics as a district, but just never seem to have success at the state level outside of softball.

You could say the same about Columbus Lakeview, IMO.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Here's my surprise of the basketball season so far: I heard that the Bancroft-Rosalie school board voted unanimously last night to end the BRLD coop with Lyons-Decatur. Don't know the reasoning.

Here's my surprise of the basketball season so far: I heard that the Bancroft-Rosalie school board voted unanimously last night to end the BRLD coop with Lyons-Decatur. Don't know the reasoning.
I had heard this was coming. Part of the reasoning I heard was that the coop was going to be large enough to become C1 soon.

Reactions: mgbreis
I had heard this was coming. Part of the reasoning I heard was that the coop was going to be large enough to become C1 soon.

Heard the same. I think it's more of a push from Bancroft though. Disappointing to see IMO as things have seemed to be going fairly well. Now what happens down the road when one of the schools is in need again? When will this take effect for each sport? Football still has one more year on the current cycle.

Emerson-Hubbard's Superintendent accepted the job at Lyons Decatur. Sounds like a good chance that EH will share Allen's Superintendent going forward, or at least the next school year. Does this push Allen and EH closer to consolidation?

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Last I had heard (I don't know what was voted on last night), the proposal was:

Continue Co-op In:
Football
Cross Country
Wrestling
Track
Boys Golf

Dissolve Co-op In:
Volleyball
Boys & Girls Basketball

Other Co-Ops
Girls Golf (TC Thunder)
Softball (NEN Vipers)
Bowling (TC Thunder)
Baseball (TC Thunder)

=========================

Junior High

Continue Co-op

Cross Country
Wrestling
Track

Dissolve Co-op
Football
Volleyball
Boys & Girls Basketball

Heard the same. I think it's more of a push from Bancroft though. Disappointing to see IMO as things have seemed to be going fairly well. Now what happens down the road when one of the schools is in need again? When will this take effect for each sport? Football still has one more year on the current cycle.

Emerson-Hubbard's Superintendent accepted the job at Lyons Decatur. Sounds like a good chance that EH will share Allen's Superintendent going forward, or at least the next school year. Does this push Allen and EH closer to consolidation?
It’s just crazy for these co-ops to end. It needs to be a full consolidation. But IMO, Pender needs to call BR and get it done. PBR should have been a consolidated school a long time ago. I’ve always felt they meshed well together.

Allen needs to consolidate with someone. Whether it’s Emerson or Wakefield.

I highly doubt Allen ever goes with Wakefield. Emerson Hubbard could be a possibility down the road.

Last I had heard (I don't know what was voted on last night), the proposal was:

Continue Co-op In:
Football
Cross Country
Wrestling
Track
Boys Golf

Dissolve Co-op In:
Volleyball
Boys & Girls Basketball

Other Co-Ops
Girls Golf (TC Thunder)
Softball (NEN Vipers)
Bowling (TC Thunder)
Baseball (TC Thunder)

=========================

Junior High

Continue Co-op

Cross Country
Wrestling
Track

Dissolve Co-op
Football
Volleyball
Boys & Girls Basketball
LDNE has an ad looking for both a football coach and a volleyball coach.

Cooperatives and Consolidations have to be mutually beneficial. If both, or all three or four, districts aren't getting a big + by being apart of the cooperative or consolidation, it doesn't make sense to continue it. Easy to jump on the message board and say school A needs to be with school B. It isn't that simple. I think what each community/district offers the other is of the utmost importance. Even more so than proximity.

Cooperatives and Consolidations have to be mutually beneficial. If both, or all three or four, districts aren't getting a big + by being apart of the cooperative or consolidation, it doesn't make sense to continue it. Easy to jump on the message board and say school A needs to be with school B. It isn't that simple. I think what each community/district offers the other is of the utmost importance. Even more so than proximity.
I don’t understand how Bancroft-Rosalie or Lyons-Decatur being separate is beneficial for the kids.

What is BR and LDNE going to look like in 10 years? Why stop something you are going to revisit again in a few years? There does not need to be three high schools in Burt County. 20 years ago it made sense, it doesn’t anymore.

Reactions: mgbreis
Let's be honest, small town BS is what controls these decisions. If it was about competition and efficient uses of tax dollars there's zero argument for MORE tiny schools with full administrations and staffs.

Let's be honest, small town BS is what controls these decisions. If it was about competition and efficient uses of tax dollars there's zero argument for MORE tiny schools with full administrations and staffs.
This 100%. There is no reason for there to be 27 high schools north of Fremont and east of Norfolk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT