ADVERTISEMENT

Football Teams Just Missing Out of Playoffs

Ya, You are wrong.. I put in for 3 non-District teams each year (My AD sends them in) And we are lucky if you get 1 of the three you request. Most years it is 0. We drive through towns we should be playing to get to ones that are an hour away. So "Yes" the state selects the non-Dist.
Just out of curiosity, any idea why? Other teams closer to them? Too many teams requesting the same non-district teams? Better perennial matchups? Logistical concerns?

What's everyone's thoughts on Class B with only 22 schools in the class (South Sioux is ineligible, opted down) and 16 of them make the playoffs? Nearly half the field is 5-4 or worse.

Should B just be an 8-team bracket?

8 teams would be the about same % that C-1 and C-2 take.
An 8 team Class B Playoff would advance 36% of the teams to the postseason.
Class C-1 and Class C-2 currently advance 38% of their teams to the postseason.
  • Omaha Skutt Catholic (9-0), 46.3333
  • Scottsbluff (9-0), 44.8889
  • York (7-2), 43.2222
  • McCook (8-1), 43.1111
  • Waverly (7-2), 42.8889
  • Seward (7-2), 41.8889
  • Omaha Roncalli Catholic (7-2), 41.8889
  • Blair (6-3), 41.3333

What's everyone's thoughts on Class B with only 22 schools in the class (South Sioux is ineligible, opted down) and 16 of them make the playoffs? Nearly half the field is 5-4 or worse.

Should B just be an 8-team bracket?
That would seem to make sense. Or expand the class to bring it more into line.

That would seem to make sense. Or expand the class to bring it more into line.

Not saying I'd entirely disagree, but the reason that Class B is at such an odd number is because of the focus on trying not to get such large gap from the largest to the smallest in one class.

It seems like, to an extent, we're chasing our tail. "Fixing" one thing causes another problem, and once that is "fixed" it will throw the first thing back out of whack and just be a perpetual cycle.

I could go either way on 8-man playoffs. 8/32 or 9/16 both have their positives and negatives, in my opinion. But what I've never understood about these yearly debates, is why is the Class D playoff system such a travesty...but no one ever really seemed bothered about A taking 16 of 28 or B taking 16 of 32 in years past. On percentages making the playoffs, D wasn't the outlier...C was.

32 of 50 (it was somewhere in the high 50s just a couple of years ago...just using 50 for simplicity) in Class D1 & D2 was 64% making it in...but 16 of 28 was 57%. Seemed like it was pretty similar to me.

Was Class A's way of doing districts what made it seem different? Or are most of us posters here rural folk so we're more closely tied to the small schools? It just always seemed like a disconnect to me, when it came up (and continues to come up) every year.

Edit to Add: That's why I was so glad to see the question posed above, since it rarely comes up. Even this year, where 73% of one class made it to the playoffs.

I understand trying to keep the gap from smallest to largest tighter. I just think it is more accentuated at the lower classes when there are teams that have barely enough to scrimmage in practice. In the larger classes, with 30,40, even more on the sideline they can field competitive teams with an abundance of substitutes even if the other team has more. I know nobody wants to play up with bigger schools, and that is the problem. I am just saying it is easier for a larger school to play up than a smaller one. Look at Norfolk Catholic for the last several years at the bottom end of C1 but holding their own very nicely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT