ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Wisner-Pilger's Duane Mendlik becomes state's all-time winningest boys coach

I always enjoyed watching Duane coach. My boys played against many of his teams over the years. Didn't always have the most talent, but his teams were well coached and understood the game. I was always impressed with the fact that he always had kind and encouraging words for the opposing teams following the games. It made my boys feel good that an opposing coach would take a second to tell them that they were good basketball players or the like. Just seems like a guy that really enjoys the game.

I always enjoyed watching Duane coach. My boys played against many of his teams over the years. Didn't always have the most talent, but his teams were well coached and understood the game. I was always impressed with the fact that he always had kind and encouraging words for the opposing teams following the games. It made my boys feel good that an opposing coach would take a second to tell them that they were good basketball players or the like. Just seems like a guy that really enjoys the game.
This X 1000. This is what makes a great coach, not W’s & L’s

Congrats Coach Medlik, on a job well done. I can't help but think of the countless lives he has touched between his own players, opposing players, people in the stands. Some of life's greatest lessons, I believe, are taught on the court or field. Speaking for myself, the men who coached me, I still refer to as "coach" when I run into them on the street. It may seem weird to use that term to refer to a man that hasn't been in coaching for 30 years, but for me it is a term of endearment and the show of ultimate respect. Thanks again, coach, for making me think of some of the greatest influences in my early life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT