ADVERTISEMENT

2018-19 Football Changes

Sounds like Nebraska City may be moving to C1 in football in the next cycle. That's good for them hopefully as that have been getting boatraced in B.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
NC and Aquinas can opt up but I believe that means all sports and activities would have to do the same. If that were the case, might be hard to convince some of the other sports and activities to follow.

No. Opt up or down in football doesn't affect other sports or activities.

Sounds like Nebraska City may be moving to C1 in football in the next cycle. That's good for them hopefully as that have been getting boatraced in B.
Good for them. They are a forgotten high school. They haven't been good at anything in a very long time.

Good for them. They are a forgotten high school. They haven't been good at anything in a very long time.
Yeah, it's been a struggle for them. Once you get in a losing rut, especially when the numbers are stacked against you, it's tough to get out. I do like Coach Hemphel. I think he has the right attitude to try to change the culture. I will also say that wrestling and baseball has had been pretty competitive the last few years. But you're right about most other sports.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
This is the way I understand it as well

Yeah, the presumption is that an opt up or down is safety related, not competitive. That's not always reality, but you can't bump an 8-man to 11-man, just because you want to stay in the nearby Class C Music District.

I think Music is the same as football, not related the to the rest, but I'm not terribly familiar on Music as an activity.

New rule is that if you opt up in football then you'll move up in all other activities except for music.

New rule is that if you opt up in football then you'll move up in all other activities except for music.

You're right. I had to look it up, as I had it remembered wrong. Football isn't triggered by others, but can trigger others.

My mistake.

NSAA still needs to address the advantage private schools have over public schools either by implementing a success factor points system or an enrollment multiplier. Having NC or Aquinas drop to C2 is not good for small schools who don't recruit. Most of their games will be running clock after half with teams just hoping to get the game over without losing players to injury.

NSAA still needs to address the advantage private schools have over public schools either by implementing a success factor points system or an enrollment multiplier. Having NC or Aquinas drop to C2 is not good for small schools who don't recruit. Most of their games will be running clock after half with teams just hoping to get the game over without losing players to injury.
Yeah no. Don't bring this crap here. Get better youth programs and better involvement and schools will see results.

giphy.gif

I forget which school NC's #2 running back transferred in from. Maybe you could tell me?
From a high school in Indiana. His Dad is a big wig at the company he was transferred to in Norfolk. That's not recruiting. The family was relocated for a job.

If the parents want to pay for tuition and put their kid at NC more power to them. That's not recruiting.

Lets address the opting down first, and what does this teach, and if it about safety why is NO other state allowing opting down ?
So I get confused on the opting down and the number. The schools chose the number for 8 man cut offs right? How often do they vote to adjust the number? I agree opting down shouldn't be happening. It just makes everything messy.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I thought there is a success factor point system implemented. Not just for private schools but for all. Something that if you gain 10 points over a certain period of time you get moved up a class.

Maybe that was a dream I had.

I thought there is a success factor point system implemented. Not just for private schools but for all. Something that if you gain 10 points over a certain period of time you get moved up a class.

Maybe that was a dream I had.
It was a terrible proposal that didn't pass. Thank goodness. Would have set a terrible example. Humphrey St. Francis would have been playing C2 football by now.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
BigRedThoughts you are wrong they are right only about 97.5% of the time not 100. just ask them

Sorry to steer this away from recruiting...But are they staying with 2 year cycles or is it going to 1 year?

It IS a 2 year cycle, and I don't think they will ever go to a 1 year cycle. At least that is what the NSAA is saying.

As long as participation numbers are a concern for teams in C1/C2, they should always be allowed to opt down to 8 man, otherwise they end up forfeiting games and seasons. Is it ideal? No. Is it fair for the 8 man teams to have to play C2 size schools that have opted down? No. But....I think you can make it fair by giving those true D1 or D2 teams the "play up a class" bonus points for playing teams that opt down.

This is 6 one way, half a dozen the other. On one hand you have people crying about too many forfeits. On the other hand you have people crying about teams opting down to avoid forfeit. I guess I'm unaware, but has there every been a D1 or D2 team that had their season compromised because they had to play C1/C2 teams that opted down? Has it ever cost a team a playoff birth? Has it ever caused a situation where the C1/C2 team was so much bigger/faster/stronger and deeper that a kid in D1/D2 got seriously injured? If so, please cite a specific example of one of the scenarios above with teams, years, injuries, etc...

Reactions: Yossarian23
As long as participation numbers are a concern for teams in C1/C2, they should always be allowed to opt down to 8 man, otherwise they end up forfeiting games and seasons. Is it ideal? No. Is it fair for the 8 man teams to have to play C2 size schools that have opted down? No. But....I think you can make it fair by giving those true D1 or D2 teams the "play up a class" bonus points for playing teams that opt down.

This is 6 one way, half a dozen the other. On one hand you have people crying about too many forfeits. On the other hand you have people crying about teams opting down to avoid forfeit. I guess I'm unaware, but has there every been a D1 or D2 team that had their season compromised because they had to play C1/C2 teams that opted down? Has it ever cost a team a playoff birth? Has it ever caused a situation where the C1/C2 team was so much bigger/faster/stronger and deeper that a kid in D1/D2 got seriously injured? If so, please cite a specific example of one of the scenarios above with teams, years, injuries, etc...
So you are saying the problem is only in Nebraska and some how the other states dont allow this because they dont have this problem, or is the problem of a few schools and now everyones problem by allowing them to opt. and the lesson those schools are learning is that if you are not good enough its okay they will allow you to go down until you can beat someone that is playing in the class they are suppose to be in, how is that fair to those schools. Look at 6-man Harvard is a school with 45 to 50 boys in high school and playing schools and crushing them that only have 25 or less boys and have to play 6-man. Or D1 schools with a boy- girl enrollment of 63 playing school opting down in the 90s or more, If the team in that class loses that game or gets even one kid injured in those games HOW is that fair to the school that is playing in the class the are suppose to be in. The problem of a few schools can negatively effect another school in any way HOW is that fair

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT