ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball 2022 NSAA Girls and Boys Basketball Postseason Schedule Update

Alum-Ni

All-State
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004

2022 NSAA Girls and Boys Basketball Postseason Schedule Update

The 2022 Nebraska School Activities Association (NSAA) Girls and Boys Basketball Championships will be held Monday, March 7 through Saturday, March 12 in Lincoln.

The University of Nebraska will be hosting the 2022 Big Ten Conference Wrestling Championships March 5 and 6 in Lincoln at the Pinnacle Bank Arena.

The NSAA, the Lincoln Convention and Visitors Bureau, University of Nebraska, Pinnacle Bank Arena and Lincoln Public Schools are committed to providing a championship experience for Nebraska's best in girls and boys basketball.

All of the 2022 NSAA Girls and Boys Basketball Championship Finals will be televised live on NET on Friday, March 11 and Saturday, March 12. A full schedule for the 2022 girls and boys basketball postseason and state championship events will be released at a later date.

Questions can be directed to NSAA Executive Director, Jay Bellar or NSAA Basketball Director, Jon Dolliver.

It appears boys and girls state tournaments will be happening within the same week. So will it be girls finals on Friday and boys on Saturday. Or perhaps boys and girls lower classes on Friday, and the larger classes on Saturday.

Will be interesting to see the schedule when it is released.

This is either going to be a really fun week or an absolute nightmare for radio stations to schedule their broadcasts. Please NSAA, keep your media partners in mind while putting this together.

Reactions: kaz36
I understand the need to do this, but:
1- there are going to be issues with who gets to play in PBA & the Bob between boys & girls
2- If there isn't an issue with getting teams in the bigger venues to play by stretching it out, there will be much larger hotel/food bills for teams.

I don't think there are many teams that stay in Lincoln. Most teams drive down, get beat, and go home. I'd bet a large % of teams that advance still commute the following days. This will have no impact on hotel bills.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
The LJS article sounds like the girls tournament will be three days M-W-F and the boys will have three days T-T-S. Game locations will likely be patterned after the traditional tournament two years ago.

I think this could be pretty awesome. Especially for the players. Big super week of basketball in the state. Always interesting to try different ideas out.

I hope this works out great, but at first glance, I'm against it. Why not try out a new venue for the girls for one year? Omaha of course would be a first choice, but what about GI/Kearney/Hastings?

I'm also a part-time radio guy and I know there' s no way I can take 3-4-5 days off of my real job. As a former BB coach, I would always take Thursday and Friday off of school to attend the state tourney--it will be different asking for Monday and Wednesday or T-TH off. Also, I don't know if fans will love this or not....

Reactions: saluno22
Personally I do not feel this is a good idea. You have several schools who are not far enough out to get hotel rooms that will play in the middle of the afternoon and qualify both boys and girls. They will be forced to take more off of school which is why some get the opportunity to play anyways. This definitely will provide an advantage even more to those closest to Lincoln. If you are Adams Central and play Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday you will most certainly have to travel on game days like a typical season. Compared to Milford at 25 minutes at most that is an advantage. Or in class B say Alliance makes it do they stay down all week? NSAA seems very short sighted with extending the days for all parties involved. I would hate to see teams not have equal footing for a state event like this seems to force.

It's totally past time to get the tournament out of Lincoln. Bigger, better, more numerous venues are just part of it. More, more affordable, and better lodging (without the ability to price gouge) is also just down the road. And extra 45 minutes on the interstate actually saves families money and provides a far better experience for the athletes.

I'm not necessarily against this right now. It just makes me wonder why if Lincoln can't fulfill their venues and dates when they are awarded the state tournament why the NSAA doesn't have a contingency plan to play on their original dates? I feel this would be a good year to give the Tri Cities a shot at it.

It's totally past time to get the tournament out of Lincoln. Bigger, better, more numerous venues are just part of it. More, more affordable, and better lodging (without the ability to price gouge) is also just down the road. And extra 45 minutes on the interstate actually saves families money and provides a far better experience for the athletes.
You don't think the hotels in Omaha will price gouge? You're not very smart. Check prices the week of the CWS, NCAA tournament, or swim trials compared to any other weekend....

Personally I do not feel this is a good idea. You have several schools who are not far enough out to get hotel rooms that will play in the middle of the afternoon and qualify both boys and girls. They will be forced to take more off of school which is why some get the opportunity to play anyways. This definitely will provide an advantage even more to those closest to Lincoln. If you are Adams Central and play Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday you will most certainly have to travel on game days like a typical season. Compared to Milford at 25 minutes at most that is an advantage. Or in class B say Alliance makes it do they stay down all week? NSAA seems very short sighted with extending the days for all parties involved. I would hate to see teams not have equal footing for a state event like this seems to force.
Adams Central travels back and forth anyway....

When they played three in a row they didn't. Also it is providing even more of an advantage to those within 45 minutes to an hour than central and Western Nebraska. I do not think this is a great idea and other than class A minus about 4 schools a majority of the schools are going to be negatively impacted.

Reactions: runningback43
When they played three in a row they didn't. Also it is providing even more of an advantage to those within 45 minutes to an hour than central and Western Nebraska. I do not think this is a great idea and other than class A minus about 4 schools a majority of the schools are going to be negatively impacted.
You did read and know it's because the B1G wrestling championships are in Lincoln the Friday and Saturday when girls finals are normally played. This is a 1 year deal. Nebraska gets to host this wrestling event once every 16 years.

So many people think it's as simple as "move it to Omaha". They fail to realize that Omaha submitted a bid to the NSAA that wasn't accepted. At that point those venues in Omaha schedule other events to come in so they can make money. They can't just decide "Hey bring it here to Omaha" or other cities if those venues aren't available anyway. For example this year Creighton played at home the date of the girls championship. So, when it was in question if Lincoln would host due to covid restrictions, it wasn't as easy as "move it to Omaha..."

I understand the need to do this, but:
1- there are going to be issues with who gets to play in PBA & the Bob between boys & girls
2- If there isn't an issue with getting teams in the bigger venues to play by stretching it out, there will be much larger hotel/food bills for teams.

Can't you look at it like this:

The normal state tournament is three days. This will be six days. So You will have the normal schedule just spanned out.

Girls - Monday-Wednesday-Friday (All same venues)
Boys - Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday (All same venues)

What facility will the B1G wrestling tournament use? If PBA is available, the schedule used this year (using PBA and local high schools) seemed to accommodate all schools and players adequately.

Can't you look at it like this:

The normal state tournament is three days. This will be six days. So You will have the normal schedule just spanned out.

Girls - Monday-Wednesday-Friday (All same venues)
Boys - Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday (All same venues)
The gym space makes sense now. Lodging/meals/travel will be an issue with some teams though.

I hope this works out great, but at first glance, I'm against it. Why not try out a new venue for the girls for one year? Omaha of course would be a first choice, but what about GI/Kearney/Hastings?

I'm also a part-time radio guy and I know there' s no way I can take 3-4-5 days off of my real job. As a former BB coach, I would always take Thursday and Friday off of school to attend the state tourney--it will be different asking for Monday and Wednesday or T-TH off. Also, I don't know if fans will love this or not....
Good luck convincing the girls that THEY are the ones that have to move.

A things here.

This is a one year thing. I don’t think it’s going to hurt anyone to have to adjust. The Big 10 wrestling tournament is a very large event and a BIG moneymaker for whoever hosts and that’s not arguable.

If moved to Omaha, where would you put it? CHI health center is too big in my opinion. I don’t think you’d want to go that route. Football plays at the University but that’s because of the “Awe” that comes with playing at Memorial, but it’s a terrible atmosphere because it just empty. I think you’d get that at CHI. NSAA’s most attended event is the wrestling tournament and it doesn’t get too full till Friday night at CHI...and that’s what makes the atmosphere. The fans, screaming and cheering. Too big a venue takes away from the whole thing.

If I was making the decision I’d ask if Devaney could host it. Plenty of seating in there even after the remodel.

Grand Island wouldn’t be a bad venue either at Heartland. What I think would be an interesting venue would actually be Tri City arena if they could put a floor down. Seating would maybe get iffy but boy it would get loud in a hurry in that place.

A things here.

This is a one year thing. I don’t think it’s going to hurt anyone to have to adjust. The Big 10 wrestling tournament is a very large event and a BIG moneymaker for whoever hosts and that’s not arguable.

If moved to Omaha, where would you put it? CHI health center is too big in my opinion. I don’t think you’d want to go that route. Football plays at the University but that’s because of the “Awe” that comes with playing at Memorial, but it’s a terrible atmosphere because it just empty. I think you’d get that at CHI. NSAA’s most attended event is the wrestling tournament and it doesn’t get too full till Friday night at CHI...and that’s what makes the atmosphere. The fans, screaming and cheering. Too big a venue takes away from the whole thing.

If I was making the decision I’d ask if Devaney could host it. Plenty of seating in there even after the remodel.

Grand Island wouldn’t be a bad venue either at Heartland. What I think would be an interesting venue would actually be Tri City arena if they could put a floor down. Seating would maybe get iffy but boy it would get loud in a hurry in that place.
The Bob is way too small, plus it's a crappy b-ball venue

I disagree. If NU Volleyball can play there. It can house the NSAA basketball championships.
Seating not equal on both sides of the court and student sections far away from the court & elevated, plus there's not enough capacity. BW vs MN in a normal year would draw 10k plus I'd guess.
Yes, it's a very nice facility for smaller class semis, but not the greatest for championship games.

Reactions: nenebskers
I assume the slow-play on the dates of games is because the M-W-F/T-T-S schedule is simple, but doesn't have the flexibility to shorten the stays of teams from the far-west. Because of that, you may see some girls and boys games on the same day throughout the week. Or, at least they are feeling out the membership on that idea now (in some way; not saying it's a formal survey; haven't seen anything like that).

You don't think the hotels in Omaha will price gouge? You're not very smart. Check prices the week of the CWS, NCAA tournament, or swim trials compared to any other weekend....
While the prices might be a little higher, by shopping around, I generally find that I don't pay a great deal more for Wrestling, CWS, or any of the other events I get to fairly regularly than I do the other 30-40 nights I spend in Omaha throughout the year. There are simply too many options and in a city a "big event" is still more of a drop in the bucket compared to what that same event does to a backwater like Lincoln. You look at what Lincoln does with the state tournaments and Husker home games and compare...if you think it's the same...I'd be careful commenting on anyone, and I mean ANYONE's, intelligence. And then combine that with the awful traffic patterns, the lack of even decent dining in any volume (the few tolerable places are completely swamped) you simply can't compare the amenites of a major regional city with those of a place that seems to thrive because of various, and quite captive, golden geese. See any iota of desire to move wrestling back since to completion of PBA? To each, their own I guess, but a move to Omaha would be overwhelmingly popular and would never get moved back. Kids would get treated better, families would have a better time and save money, it's a win all the way around.

A things here.

Aside from the Big10 wrestling tournament being a really big deal, I disagree with everything else you've written. :) Devaney is too small for Class A finals and Friday night Semi's. CHI is big, but what 1k, 2k bigger than PBA? Hardly an atmosphere killer imo. And mostly, moving to Omaha would allow ALL the kids to get out of crappy, decades old, HS gyms...

Aside from the Big10 wrestling tournament being a really big deal, I disagree with everything else you've written. :) Devaney is too small for Class A finals and Friday night Semi's. CHI is big, but what 1k, 2k bigger than PBA? Hardly an atmosphere killer imo. And mostly, moving to Omaha would allow ALL the kids to get out of crappy, decades old, HS gyms...

Two thoughts on attendance. Yes, get the lower classes out of the high schools and playing at Sokol. Slap in the face IMO. Even Baxter would be better than Devaney. Secondly, with A being predominantly centered around Omaha I think attendance would be up even more for Class A. I'd think a final between Bell West and Millard North on a non-covid year would get more fans in Omaha than Lincoln. Plus, with over half the state's population in Omaha metro more casual observers would attend, especially for the smaller classes when not having to deal with the parking, lines, bleacher seating, etc...of the High Schools.

While the prices might be a little higher, by shopping around, I generally find that I don't pay a great deal more for Wrestling, CWS, or any of the other events I get to fairly regularly than I do the other 30-40 nights I spend in Omaha throughout the year. There are simply too many options and in a city a "big event" is still more of a drop in the bucket compared to what that same event does to a backwater like Lincoln. You look at what Lincoln does with the state tournaments and Husker home games and compare...if you think it's the same...I'd be careful commenting on anyone, and I mean ANYONE's, intelligence. And then combine that with the awful traffic patterns, the lack of even decent dining in any volume (the few tolerable places are completely swamped) you simply can't compare the amenities of a major regional city with those of a place that seems to thrive because of various, and quite captive, golden geese. See any iota of desire to move wrestling back since to completion of PBA? To each, their own I guess, but a move to Omaha would be overwhelmingly popular and would never get moved back. Kids would get treated better, families would have a better time and save money, it's a win all the way around.

Wasn't trying to question your intelligence. Sometimes everyone holds Omaha in such high regard but they don't work hard enough to get the state basketball tournaments. They have wrestling, track, and soccer....so...

Hotel rates are higher for game days and state tournament in Lincoln. I agree completely, but the hotels downtown are much higher during the CWS and other events too. Of course Omaha has many more options, it's nearly 4 times the size of Lincoln. I'm game with whatever is voted on by the NSAA board. The thing is, Omaha must not make a good enough push to get the basketball tournaments. Maybe they make more $$ by not having that in town and having something else. The kids will be happy wherever they play in a venue that's big enough to host. PBA, CHI, Heartland Events Center...Devaney Center and D.J. Sokol arena for that matter....I've never heard a kid who had an opportunity to play in any have a complaint. Kids simply want to compete.

Agree with you HPC. Devaney is to small for A, and likely B. Great place but not enough seating.

1. I believe the NSAA would love to get out of high schools as well. Takes a 4 day tournament to do it in Lincoln at Devaney and PBA. Omaha wouldn't if they could get all facilities.

2. Also, I am guessing games next year will be spread out over the 5 days with guys and girls playing the same day. I don't believe they'll do girls-M,W,F and boys-T,TH,S. Lots of reasons behind that I believe but we will see. I'm guessing the NSAA board will vote on a plan and then we will hear about it, because if you recall they voted on wrestling and basketball this year and we were informed later that day. I believe the only reason we know about the change now is the B1G was going to share host sites for next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT