ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball 2022 State Basketball Schedule

This looks like an absolute nightmare for radio. Using the teams I covered this year as an example this schedule could have potentially had the Broken Bow girls, Mullen girls and Burwell boys all playing at the same time on Monday. With only one radio station we would have had to pick just one of those to cover instead of all three.

I don’t like the championship games on Friday just because I’m selfish and don’t want to take work off just to be able to watch them. Speaking of work, that schedule wreaks havoc on parents who want to see their kids play but will have to take time off to do it. Especially for those out west who usually stay in Lincoln for the weekend.

It's time to completely ditch the L hole. Schools still playing in crappy HS gyms, price gouging on hotels, idiotic city government mandates..., the list is longer, but those will suffice as reasons to not be there, for the time being. Nebraska can, and should, do better by it's HS athletes than this monstrosity. This is a nightmare for any school west of Kearney that qualifies, especially if they send both boys and girls teams to state. Fire whichever Einstein developed this...

It's time to completely ditch the L hole. Schools still playing in crappy HS gyms, price gouging on hotels, idiotic city government mandates..., the list is longer, but those will suffice as reasons to not be there, for the time being. Nebraska can, and should, do better by it's HS athletes than this monstrosity. This is a nightmare for any school west of Kearney that qualifies, especially if they send both boys and girls teams to state. Fire whichever Einstein developed this...

HPC, Is all you do is complain? This schedule was put in place due to B1G wrestling the week that would normally be girls state. The goal was to let the boys and girls be treated equally in hoping that both draw a lot of fans. If one was at the beginning of the week and the other at the end, you likely wouldn't have that. What other suggestion do you have other than complaining about it?

Other cities always have the opportunity to submit a bid to host. Kids want to play at PBA, but I will agree the CHI would be cool too. But guess what, price gouging happens in Omaha and Kearney too. Lots of school events in those two towns and prices are always higher when events come to town.

Schools were informed well in advance and many of us made a decision to move spring break to all or part of that week, understanding that it's a one year deal. Oh and often times those schools west of Kearney adapt just fine. Last year for example, Mullen made plans to stay the entire 2 weeks of the tournaments when their boys and girls qualified, and they had contingency plans for each stage of elimination from the tournament and if they'd return home or not. Those communities are used to making plans and are really very good at it.

HPC, Is all you do is complain? This schedule was put in place due to B1G wrestling the week that would normally be girls state. The goal was to let the boys and girls be treated equally in hoping that both draw a lot of fans. If one was at the beginning of the week and the other at the end, you likely wouldn't have that. What other suggestion do you have other than complaining about it?

Other cities always have the opportunity to submit a bid to host. Kids want to play at PBA, but I will agree the CHI would be cool too. But guess what, price gouging happens in Omaha and Kearney too. Lots of school events in those two towns and prices are always higher when events come to town.

Schools were informed well in advance and many of us made a decision to move spring break to all or part of that week, understanding that it's a one year deal. Oh and often times those schools west of Kearney adapt just fine. Last year for example, Mullen made plans to stay the entire 2 weeks of the tournaments when their boys and girls qualified, and they had contingency plans for each stage of elimination from the tournament and if they'd return h ome or not. Those communities are used to making plans and are really very good at it.
I only complain about the stupid $hit. :) Suggestion? Move it to Omaha. Or split the classes. Get the kids out of crappy HS gyms, which only serves to enrich Lincoln merchants.
And no, in my experience the gouging does not occur at anywhere near the same level in Omaha. There is simply too many options and too much competition for it to get out-of-control bat poop crazy the way it does in Lincoln.
An entire 2 weeks? Isn't that 25% of the academic quarter? What about the cost? Burden on parents? Who's running the ranch? What's going on at the grocery store?
Here's an idea: Let's find a place where we can play, all of the kids, in nice arenas, on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Where boys and girls can each have their own weekends?
CHI is bigger and nicer than PBA, next level arenas are all better than Devaney, and anything is better than crappy HS gyms. Old Market is far superior to the Haymarket. Families and athletes get a far better experience and save money...to me, at least, it's not even a comparison...

Reactions: huskernation03
Well the mask mandates ends on Thursday in Lincoln so you're getting one of your wishes.

Why didn’t they just move the tournament dates ahead a week? The first day looks like it could be a mess for some schools that qualify girls and boys in different classes.
Agreed. One would hope that the NSAA would alter the schedule to make sure there weren't conflicts, but who knows if anybody is looking that far ahead and preparing contingencies?

Why didn’t they just move the tournament dates ahead a week? The first day looks like it could be a mess for some schools that qualify girls and boys in different classes.
So you want the girls tournament to take place and then 2 weeks later the boys tournament? High schools often schedule to play the boys and girls the same night, as I'm sure you know, so now you wanted everyone to reschedule games for 3 weeks earlier because it goes back to sub-districts, then district finals, then state. That condensed schedule for the girls would make it even more unfair and would be a total headache for every AD in the state that would have been affected and have to move game dates.

Schools were informed well in advance and many of us made a decision to move spring break to all or part of that week, understanding that it's a one year deal. Oh and often times those schools west of Kearney adapt just fine. Last year for example, Mullen made plans to stay the entire 2 weeks of the tournaments when their boys and girls qualified, and they had contingency plans for each stage of elimination from the tournament and if they'd return home or not. Those communities are used to making plans and are really very good at it.
This. Schools west of Kearney know the drill. Since sub state started (2018-2019 season), only five times schools west of Kearney that had both teams in.

2019: Zero
2020: ScoBlo, Pleasanton, Mullen
2021: Bridgeport, Mullen

I would love to get out of the high schools and keep it in Lincoln. Play D2 and D1 games at Wesleyan. Make the tournament four days.

Wednesday
Nebraska Wesleyan
Class D1: 9:00 AM, 10:45, 2:00, 3:45

Bob Devaney
Class C2: 9:00, 10:45, 2:00, 3:45

PBA:
Class A: 2:00, 3:45, 7:00 and 8:45

Thursday
Nebraska Wesleyan
Class D2: 9:00 AM, 10:45, 2:00, 3:45

PBA
Class B: 2:00, 3:45, 7:00 and 8:45

Bob Devaney
Class C1: 9:00, 10:45, 2:00, 3:45

Friday
Bob Devaney
Class D2 9:00 and 10:45
Class D1 2:00 and 3:45
Class C2 7:00 and 8:45

PBA
Class C1 9:00 and 10:45
Class B 2:00 and 3:45
Class A 7:00 and 8:45

Finals leave as they are on Saturday.

You could rotate classes each year to see what classes get the one day break. Saying they did it this year, D1, C2 and A get the break. Next year D2, C1 and B would get the day off.

I only complain about the stupid $hit. :) Suggestion? Move it to Omaha. Or split the classes. Get the kids out of crappy HS gyms, which only serves to enrich Lincoln merchants.
And no, in my experience the gouging does not occur at anywhere near the same level in Omaha. There is simply too many options and too much competition for it to get out-of-control bat poop crazy the way it does in Lincoln.
An entire 2 weeks? Isn't that 25% of the academic quarter? What about the cost? Burden on parents? Who's running the ranch? What's going on at the grocery store?
Here's an idea: Let's find a place where we can play, all of the kids, in nice arenas, on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Where boys and girls can each have their own weekends?
CHI is bigger and nicer than PBA, next level arenas are all better than Devaney, and anything is better than crappy HS gyms. Old Market is far superior to the Haymarket. Families and athletes get a far better experience and save money...to me, at least, it's not even a comparison...
Mullen planned it out. I'm guessing they did learning online or had teachers that happened to travel too. Heck they did the previous spring semester all online. I know of a few Lincoln area schools that have multiple teams come to their gyms for practices and walkthroughs while they are in the area for state from outstate.

I know it's odd for you, as you see the NSAA as some big evil Oz, but your AD has a say in things too. Your AD votes. I agree with you 100% on one thing, and I believe almost everyone...even those at the NSAA agree....it's not ideal to play in the high schools. Maybe Omaha doesn't want to or hasn't put in

Reactions: northeastNebraska
This. Schools west of Kearney know the drill. Since sub state started (2018-2019 season), only five times schools west of Kearney that had both teams in.

2019: Zero
2020: ScoBlo, Pleasanton, Mullen
2021: Bridgeport, Mullen

I would love to get out of the high schools and keep it in Lincoln. Play D2 and D1 games at Wesleyan. Make the tournament four days.

Wednesday
Nebraska Wesleyan
Class D1: 9:00 AM, 10:45, 2:00, 3:45

Bob Devaney
Class C2: 9:00, 10:45, 2:00, 3:45

PBA:
Class A: 2:00, 3:45, 7:00 and 8:45

Thursday
Nebraska Wesleyan
Class D2: 9:00 AM, 10:45, 2:00, 3:45

PBA
Class B: 2:00, 3:45, 7:00 and 8:45

Bob Devaney
Class C1: 9:00, 10:45, 2:00, 3:45

Friday
Bob Devaney
Class D2 9:00 and 10:45
Class D1 2:00 and 3:45
Class C2 7:00 and 8:45

PBA
Class C1 9:00 and 10:45
Class B 2:00 and 3:45
Class A 7:00 and 8:45

Finals leave as they are on Saturday.

You could rotate classes each year to see what classes get the one day break. Saying they did it this year, D1, C2 and A get the break. Next year D2, C1 and B would get the day off.
What's the difference between Nebraska Wesleyan and the newer high schools? Not much at all IMO.

Also, if going to 4 days, get rid of the 9:00 am start times. Putting a D1 at a 9:00 am starting time on a Wednesday morning just made most teams travel Tuesday night.

Go to 4 classes for all sports but football and this problem is solved. Wishful thinking on my part.

So you want the girls tournament to take place and then 2 weeks later the boys tournament? High schools often schedule to play the boys and girls the same night, as I'm sure you know, so now you wanted everyone to reschedule games for 3 weeks earlier because it goes back to sub-districts, then district finals, then state. That condensed schedule for the girls would make it even more unfair and would be a total headache for every AD in the state that would have been affected and have to move game dates.
I guess I meant forward as in girls on March 10-12th and boys 17-19th

What's the difference between Nebraska Wesleyan and the newer high schools? Not much at all IMO.

Also, if going to 4 days, get rid of the 9:00 am start times. Putting a D1 at a 9:00 am starting time on a Wednesday morning just made most teams travel Tuesday night.

Go to 4 classes for all sports but football and this problem is solved. Wishful thinking on my part.
There isn't much I agree. It just seems to be a better option.

I'm all in on four classes. Six is too many.

Iowa has 3.15 million people Nebraska has 1,93 million people
Iowa has 4 classes Nebraska has 6 classes
Iowa has 453 schools Nebraska has 368 schools

Iowa also plays all of their state games in their best arena

2021 IHSAA STATE BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT MARCH 8-12 WELLS FARGO ARENA, DES MOINES Session Day Time Class 1 Monday, March 8 10:00 a.m. 1A 2 Quarterfinals 12:00 p.m. 1A 3 2:00 p.m. 1A 4 4:00 p.m. 1A 5 6:00 p.m. 2A 6 8:00 p.m. 2A 7
Tuesday, March 9 10:00 a.m. 2A 8 Quarterfinals 12:00 p.m. 2A 9 2:00 p.m. 3A 10 4:00 p.m. 3A 11 6:00 p.m. 3A 12 8:00 p.m. 3A 13
Wednesday, March 10 10:00 a.m. 4A 14 Quarterfinals 12:00 p.m. 4A 15 2:00 p.m. 4A 16 4:00 p.m. 4A 17 Semifinals 6:00 p.m. 1A 18 8:00 p.m. 1A 19
Thursday, March 11 10:00 a.m. 2A 20 Semifinals 12:00 p.m. 2A 21 2:00 p.m. 3A 22 4:00 p.m. 3A 23 6:00 p.m. 4A 24 8:00 p.m. 4A 25
Friday, March 12 12:00 p.m. 1A 26 Championships 2:30 p.m. 2A 27 5:00 p.m. 3A 28 7:30 p.m. 4A

Last edited:
Kansas population 2.9 million
Kansas 449 schools
Kansas 7 classes
Plays each class boys and girls at the same time but each class in a different arena and city
4 days
this is probably the best plan I have seen for a state with very similar population, schools and classes

SPORT BREAKDOWN​

Iowa Basketball: Four classes.

4A: Largest 48 schools.

3A: Next largest 64 schools.

2A: Next largest 96 schools.

1A: Remaining schools = 130 schools
Iowa also got their ducks in a row with consolidations in the 80s/90s. If Nebraska honestly cared about property taxes, we could get the number of schools down to 300-325 and 4 classes would be awesome!

Kansas population 2.9 million
Kansas 449 schools
Kansas 7 classes
Plays each class boys and girls at the same time but each class in a different arena and city
4 days
this is probably the best plan I have seen for a state with very similar population, schools and classes
Very familiar with the Kansas setup but have never been a fan of it. All the classes run at the same time at different locations. Having all classes in the same city at the same time is great for the overall atmosphere.

Just an idea. With Class A bring almost exclusively Omaha and Lincoln metro area schools, what if Class A and B used Omaha (CHI and Baxter) for Thursday games only.

Or use CHI and Pinnacle for A, B, and C1 and use Baxter and Devaney for C2, D1, and D2 on Thursday only. Yes, one of the classes would have 2 games at one city and 2 games in a different city. Would having the state tournament in two different cities be that big of a deal for just one day? The two cities are not that far away.

Iowa also got their ducks in a row with consolidations in the 80s/90s. If Nebraska honestly cared about property taxes, we could get the number of schools down to 300-325 and 4 classes would be awesome!
I can tell you from living in Iowa at one time, that is not always a good thing. Many if not thousands of kids drive or live over 20+ miles from school and some much farther

I can tell you from living in Iowa at one time, that is not always a good thing. Many if not thousands of kids drive or live over 20+ miles from school and some much farther
That’s an everyday thing in the Sandhills.

But you and I both know there are so many schools within 12 miles of each other that should merge.

Logan View and Scribner-Snyder
Lindsay Holy Family and Humphrey St. Francis
Elba-St. Paul
Oakland-Craig and Lyons-Decatur
Brady ans Maxwell
Shelton and Gibbon
Stuart and West Holt
Winside and Wayne

Reactions: Llama57

But you and I both know there are so many schools within 12 miles of each other that should merge.

Elba-St. Paul
Brady ans Maxwell
Shelton and Gibbon
Stuart and West Holt
Winside and Wayne
I know that those towns are 12 miles but from edge of district to the edge of the other district is 50 miles or more. another thing is Lets be real honest and realize poor or middle class people are not the major land owners any more and will become less and less each year, sparing taxes on land will happen and it will only spare the rich and give them even more money, The poor farmer is almost gone and corporation run and own more land each year and eventually will all, when the corps gets above 60% of the land you will then see a big push to save them money and again Americans will fall for it and save the rich more money as their kids spend more money in gas and their communities dry up do to it

South Dakota also runs their state tournament in different locations for the different classes. (They also play their tournament out to the 7th/8th place game.....all teams play 3 games).

South Dakota
Population: 884,659
Number of High Schools: 158
Number of Classes: 3

Class AA: 450 and above (19 schools)​
Class A: 449-90 (61 schools)​
Class B: 89 and below (78 schools)​
Girls State Tournament Locations:​
AA: Rapid City​
A: Brookings​
B: Watertown​
Boys State Tournament Locations:​
AA: Sioux Falls​
A: Rapid City​
B: Aberdeen​

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
I know that those towns are 12 miles but from edge of district to the edge of the other district is 50 miles or more. another thing is Lets be real honest and realize poor or middle class people are not the major land owners any more and will become less and less each year, sparing taxes on land will happen and it will only spare the rich and give them even more money, The poor farmer is almost gone and corporation run and own more land each year and eventually will all, when the corps gets above 60% of the land you will then see a big push to save them money and again Americans will fall for it and save the rich more money as their kids spend more money in gas and their communities dry up do to it
One thing I've never understood about consolidations. Why don't more districts dissolve instead of consolidating? Nut is correct, the far end of some districts can be quite far away.

What happens over time are families on the furthest points open enroll into school district where the school is closer in location. Meanwhile all the tax dollars go to the district they are now consolidated into and are far away from the main school. I feel like many communities lack foresight at the inevitable and hold onto a belief that their town will always continue to have an elementary school. That only continues until their facilities become outdated and time has passed and eventually their elementary school closes and all K-12 is at the original location of the old district they consolidated with.

Elba-St. Paul
Brady ans Maxwell
Shelton and Gibbon
Stuart and West Holt
Winside and Wayne
Pender and Bancroft.
Wynot and Hartington.
Osmond and Plainview, Wausa, or Randolph.
Verdigree and Niobrara.
Elgin and Neliegh.
St Edward and Boone Central.
Emerson Hubbard and Wakefield.
Allen and Wakefield.
Mead and Yutan.
Overton and Elm Creek.
Loomis and Bertrand.
Johnson Brock and Auburn.
Winnebago and Walthill (?)
Elmwood Murdoch and Weeping Water.

One thing I've never understood about consolidations. Why don't more districts dissolve instead of consolidating? Nut is correct, the far end of some districts can be quite far away.

What happens over time are families on the furthest points open enroll into school district where the school is closer in location. Meanwhile all the tax dollars go to the district they are now consolidated into and are far away from the main school. I feel like many communities lack foresight at the inevitable and hold onto a belief that their town will always continue to have an elementary school. That only continues until their facilities become outdated and time has passed and eventually their elementary school closes and all K-12 is at the original location of the old district they consolidated with.
some very good points, and you will see redistricting schools as soon as the rich own majority of the land and local control will be deleted and state funding will make most if not all of your schools funding, then you will see the state step in and redistrict with in each ESU unit. For now we curse what is great about our school system in Nebraska it still has local control For those who hate it, be carful what you wish for, state control comes in many many ways and will not just effect your school and consolidations but many other areas as well

South Dakota also runs their state tournament in different locations for the different classes. (They also play their tournament out to the 7th/8th place game.....all teams play 3 games).

South Dakota
Population: 884,659
Number of High Schools: 158
Number of Classes: 3

Class AA: 450 and above (19 schools)​
Class A: 449-90 (61 schools)​
Class B: 89 and below (78 schools)​
AA: Rapid City​
A: Brookings​
B: Watertown​
AA: Sioux Falls​
A: Rapid City​
B: Aberdeen​
I really like the idea of everybody playing 3. How many of us wouldn't give a body part for 2 more games of hs sports?

I really like the idea of everybody playing 3. How many of us wouldn't give a body part for 2 more games of hs sports?
No thanks to 3rd, 5th, and 7th place games when it comes to the state tournament. Hell, why don't we just have all the teams that lost on the 1st round of subdistricts meet up and play a tournament out so we can truly see who the worst team in the state is.

It's all about seating capacity. The "newer" HS gyms in Lincoln are much smaller than the older schools, that's why first round games are played at Southeast and Northeast. I think, for example, North Star's gym is about half the size of Southeast's. You make a good point in that Wesleyan's gym actually has less capacity than Southeast/Northeast.

Having attended a lot of C2 state games at Southeast and Northeast, let me be the latest to say that it absolutely sucks. Lots of people end up missing beginnings of games because they're stuck in line trying to get in. And once you're in you better really like the way your neighbor smells because you're going to be sharing half a seat with them. I admit I don't have a solution, but it's bad.

It's all about seating capacity. The "newer" HS gyms in Lincoln are much smaller than the older schools, that's why first round games are played at Southeast and Northeast. I think, for example, North Star's gym is about half the size of Southeast's. You make a good point in that Wesleyan's gym actually has less capacity than Southeast/Northeast.

Having attended a lot of C2 state games at Southeast and Northeast, let me be the latest to say that it absolutely sucks. Lots of people end up missing beginnings of games because they're stuck in line trying to get in. And once you're in you better really like the way your neighbor smells because you're going to be sharing half a seat with them. I admit I don't have a solution, but it's bad.
C2 games are awful in high schools. Southeast is a good sized high school gym and it’s always crammed. Something has to be done to get out of the high schools.

I think the compromise that will come out of these two different schedules (2021 & 2022) is a 4-day state tournament.

I believe you'll see 12 games (A-B-C1) held on Wednesday. You'll see 12 more games on Thursday (C2-D1-D2). These games will be held at Devaney and Pinnacle Bank so that no high schools are used.

Friday will be semifinals (12 games) at Devaney & Pinnacle Bank. Saturday will be finals at Pinnacle Bank and consolation games for C1-D2 at a high school.

Just my best guess, and using what we've seen from other sports as tournaments and championships have evolved and morphed lately.

I don't know, I thought it was a pretty good idea. B1G Wrestling interfered with the traditional plan, and they figured out a plan that would work. Everybody is not going to be happy.

I personally would have gotten rid of the Consolation Games. The idea is to find the State Champion and playing a consolation game doesn't really tell us anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT