ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball 2022 State Basketball Schedule

I find it very interesting how every state around us can figure out how not to play in a high school gym for state tournament BUT some how we can not, thats kinda sad and funny at the same time
I get it, but I don't know that the way these states do it would be acceptable to us. Iowa, 4 Classes. South Dakota, 3 Classes and play in multiple cities. Kansas has 7 classes, but play all over the state. If the only goal was to not play in a HS Gym, it would be pretty easy. Class A in Omaha, Class B in Lincoln, Class C1 in Seward, C2 in GI, D1 in Columbus, D2 in Kearney...as an example. Problem Solved, nobody plays in a HS Gym. But who likes the look of that?

What about money? I am guessing (pure guess) that facilities are rented for the entire tournament, and the venue doesn't care how many games are played. By spreading into more facilities, does the cost go up? My guess is yes it absolutely does.

Without knowing the complexity of everything that factors into a tournament of this magnitude, it is difficult FOR ME to constructively criticize. I am certain that others know more about it and can make more intelligent comments.

I think the compromise that will come out of these two different schedules (2021 & 2022) is a 4-day state tournament.

I believe you'll see 12 games (A-B-C1) held on Wednesday. You'll see 12 more games on Thursday (C2-D1-D2). These games will be held at Devaney and Pinnacle Bank so that no high schools are used.

Friday will be semifinals (12 games) at Devaney & Pinnacle Bank. Saturday will be finals at Pinnacle Bank and consolation games for C1-D2 at a high school.

Just my best guess, and using what we've seen from other sports as tournaments and championships have evolved and morphed lately.

I don't know, I thought it was a pretty good idea. B1G Wrestling interfered with the traditional plan, and they figured out a plan that would work. Everybody is not going to be happy.

I personally would have gotten rid of the Consolation Games. The idea is to find the State Champion and playing a consolation game doesn't really tell us anything.
I agree with yu on the 3rd place game. I dont care where thats played or even if we have it but other rounds should be played in a better place like every other state in the free world

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
I don't know, I thought it was a pretty good idea. B1G Wrestling interfered with the traditional plan, and they figured out a plan that would work. Everybody is not going to be happy.

I personally would have gotten rid of the Consolation Games. The idea is to find the State Champion and playing a consolation game doesn't really tell us anything.
"Like" X 1000

Reactions: GoSkers3

The consolation games seem like a pure money grab by the NSAA. They play them in smaller gyms and attendance is usually pretty modest. They only do the smaller classes because they don't have gyms with seating capacity for the A/B schools. Anyway that's my read. I've seen some really good basketball played in consolation games so I don't see the harm either way.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
The consolation games seem like a pure money grab by the NSAA. They play them in smaller gyms and attendance is usually pretty modest. They only do the smaller classes because they don't have gyms with seating capacity for the A/B schools. Anyway that's my read. I've seen some really good basketball played in consolation games so I don't see the harm either way.
well thats not true, A and B voted out thier 3rd place game and c and D voted to keep it, so this game is in place because those schools want it Why I dont know

I think the compromise that will come out of these two different schedules (2021 & 2022) is a 4-day state tournament.

I believe you'll see 12 games (A-B-C1) held on Wednesday. You'll see 12 more games on Thursday (C2-D1-D2). These games will be held at Devaney and Pinnacle Bank so that no high schools are used.

Friday will be semifinals (12 games) at Devaney & Pinnacle Bank. Saturday will be finals at Pinnacle Bank and consolation games for C1-D2 at a high school.

Just my best guess, and using what we've seen from other sports as tournaments and championships have evolved and morphed lately.
This is what needs to happen.

Reactions: TC53
My problem is that the consolation games really don't tell us who the #3 team in the state tournament is. If they were going to re-rack and play a true losers bracket, we would know something. As it stands now with the imperfect points system (I don't have a better solution), the true #3 or even #2 may have lost in the first round and they go home.

I would be in support of the consolation games if they were actually serving a purpose. As it stands now, it is just a 3 game guarantee for the first round winners.

I think the math will become undeniable, and the schools that will still be open will reach a tipping point when the majority sees contraction as desirable. It also may be speeded by combining it with something else (like state tourney format or location) that a persuadable minority desires.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT