ADVERTISEMENT

2025 State Wrestling Tournament

kaz36

All-State
May 2, 2005
It sounds like a forgone conclusion that the NSAA will add another class for girls wrestling. It is much needed as girls participation is up to over 1,700 from 700 just a couple years ago. If that happens, it looks like the NSAA is leaning towards going to a 4 day tourney with 2 different championship days. I believe this happened in 2021(?) because of covid? I am not a fan of this and love championship Saturday. What's everyone's thoughts on this and what is the best solution? Have a separate girls state championship?

Also, it looks like the NSAA oversold tickets for this years state tournament and people who pre ordered in December are having their tickets cancelled.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
It sounds like a forgone conclusion that the NSAA will add another class for girls wrestling. It is much needed as girls participation is up to over 1,700 from 700 just a couple years ago. If that happens, it looks like the NSAA is leaning towards going to a 4 day tourney with 2 different championship days. I believe this happened in 2021(?) because of covid? I am not a fan of this and love championship Saturday. What's everyone's thoughts on this and what is the best solution? Have a separate girls state championship?

Also, it looks like the NSAA oversold tickets for this years state tournament and people who pre ordered in December are having their tickets cancelled.
I do not know why they just dont go Boys A and B and Girls A on one weekend and Boys C and D and Girls B on another OR moves Girls to a different weekend What made them think you could do all this this year

I do not know why they just dont go Boys A and B and Girls A on one weekend and Boys C and D and Girls B on another OR moves Girls to a different weekend What made them think you could do all this this year
There is only one class in girls wrestling this year.

They didn't 'oversell' intentionally. The sales are on paper...where every school gets an order form and they collect money and requests, and then send in one payment with a number for seats requested at each session they are part of. Schools are getting a fraction of what they requested, so that all schools can be represented.

In the end it'll probably still work out. Last year there were more than over 3,000 unscanned tickets to the semifinals. The NSAA is attempting to put up an exchange network, and a group tied to wrestling has attempted to do the same on Facebook. The goal of everyone is to keep the tickets out of the hands of scalpers who sell at WAY above cost. The tickets people keep posting from sites right now in the endzones are SCAMS. The NSAA has all tickets, so there's no way other outlets have tickets to sell based on an email sent to schools.

My question is from looking at twitter is...why some schools need to request so many tickets...several class A schools reportedly requested 250-300 tickets. The most they can have qualify is 28 wrestlers....no one needs 12 tickets per wrestler...that's simply people with those schools want tickets, and many of them with the intention of selling them as a scalper, far above face value.

They didn't 'oversell' intentionally. The sales are on paper...where every school gets an order form and they collect money and requests, and then send in one payment with a number for seats requested at each session they are part of. Schools are getting a fraction of what they requested, so that all schools can be represented.

In the end it'll probably still work out. Last year there were more than over 3,000 unscanned tickets to the semifinals. The NSAA is attempting to put up an exchange network, and a group tied to wrestling has attempted to do the same on Facebook. The goal of everyone is to keep the tickets out of the hands of scalpers who sell at WAY above cost. The tickets people keep posting from sites right now in the endzones are SCAMS. The NSAA has all tickets, so there's no way other outlets have tickets to sell based on an email sent to schools.

My question is from looking at twitter is...why some schools need to request so many tickets...several class A schools reportedly requested 250-300 tickets. The most they can have qualify is 28 wrestlers....no one needs 12 tickets per wrestler...that's simply people with those schools want tickets, and many of them with the intention of selling them as a scalper, far above face value.
My question is what other state sporting event is held in a fashion that you have to limit fans who can come do to arena doesn't fit the event attendance ? With adding a new class of girls they have to know splitting the event would make sure it can hold possible attendance

My question is what other state sporting event is held in a fashion that you have to limit fans who can come do to arena doesn't fit the event attendance ? With adding a new class of girls they have to know splitting the event would make sure it can hold possible attendance
My question is what other sporting event do you want all 4 classes competing at the same time and then want to complain about attendance issues!?!

They have to hold people out of state soccer due to seating issues between the class A and Class B games. Baseball sends smaller schools to other facilities.

Problem is you'll never make everyone happy. Some people say girls wrestling at the Devaney Center would be amazing, others will say it's not fair because the girls are being sent to a smaller facility than the boys. You think tv will cover another state tournament?...IDK maybe.

A lot goes into splitting the tournament up and having separate tournaments also.... The amount of people it takes to put on state events is very high. The cost of renting facilities comes into account, if you can even get the facilities to begin with. People think its all simple for the NSAA, and in reality most don't have a clue of how much time and work goes into making these excellent events happen.

My question is what other sporting event do you want all 4 classes competing at the same time and then want to complain about attendance issues!?!

They have to hold people out of state soccer due to seating issues between the class A and Class B games. Baseball sends smaller schools to other facilities.

Problem is you'll never make everyone happy. Some people say girls wrestling at the Devaney Center would be amazing, others will say it's not fair because the girls are being sent to a smaller facility than the boys. You think tv will cover another state tournament?...IDK maybe.

A lot goes into splitting the tournament up and having separate tournaments also.... The amount of people it takes to put on state events is very high. The cost of renting facilities comes into account, if you can even get the facilities to begin with. People think its all simple for the NSAA, and in reality most don't have a clue of how much time and work goes into making these excellent events happen.
I been to several states state games and its not a problem, They dont turn away fans, Gosh I wonder how Iowa and Missouri handles it with out selling out That must have a magic solution

I been to several states state games and its not a problem, They dont turn away fans, Gosh I wonder how Iowa and Missouri handles it with out selling out That must have a magic solution
1. They hold fans outside of Morrison Stadium between every A and B session of soccer. They do let fans fill the concourse until the fire marshal tells them ‘no more’.

2. You like to make people think it’s rocket science like so many others when really it’s not! I’ll have to look at Missouri closer, but in Iowa…they have 3 classes of wrestling…then they have districts, regionals, then state….

So they don’t have as many kid in the ‘state tournament’ as Nebraska. Also, their venue, isn’t the home to a top 15-20 men’s college basketball team, who also happens to rank in the top 5 in attendance annually.

But go ahead and make it seem like the NSAA isn’t doing things to the best of their given abilities. Don’t forget…the people who work in those offices are at the mercy of the member s hoops. It’s a member led organization…not Oz with the all mighty and powerful.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
1. They hold fans outside of Morrison Stadium between every A and B session of soccer. They do let fans fill the concourse until the fire marshal tells them ‘no more’.

2. You like to make people think it’s rocket science like so many others when really it’s not! I’ll have to look at Missouri closer, but in Iowa…they have 3 classes of wrestling…then they have districts, regionals, then state….

So they don’t have as many kid in the ‘state tournament’ as Nebraska. Also, their venue, isn’t the home to a top 15-20 men’s college basketball team, who also happens to rank in the top 5 in attendance annually.

But go ahead and make it seem like the NSAA isn’t doing things to the best of their given abilities. Don’t forget…the people who work in those offices are at the mercy of the member s hoops. It’s a member led organization…not Oz with the all mighty and powerful.
answer this , is it whats best for kids and fans or is it only not a solution because of higher cost and loss revenue that they dont split classes or hold in different event arenas ? If it is because it is 100% best for kids then yes

answer this , is it whats best for kids and fans or is it only not a solution because of higher cost and loss revenue that they dont split classes or hold in different event arenas ? If it is because it is 100% best for kids then yes
I'm confused by your response a bit. I believe you intending to say we (Nebraska) need to do what's best for kids. I believe everyone involved in high school athletics holds that thought.

How easy is it to get a venue for the needed dates? That's what has to be explored.

I completely agree that there is a solution...it may just take some work and time to get there. And people need to be open to the idea that everyone isn't going to like the solution that comes about, but the goal as you state is....is it what's best for kids with the resources available.

I'm confused by your response a bit. I believe you intending to say we (Nebraska) need to do what's best for kids. I believe everyone involved in high school athletics holds that thought.

How easy is it to get a venue for the needed dates? That's what has to be explored.

I completely agree that there is a solution...it may just take some work and time to get there. And people need to be open to the idea that everyone isn't going to like the solution that comes about, but the goal as you state is....is it what's best for kids with the resources available.
Things change and sports evolve, so what may have been done in the past, may no longer be appropriate for the future or current state of a sport. If your job is only High school sports and that is your focus every single day. Then I guess I was looking for a solution a little more ahead of the game and not which seems to be the excuse of cost or this is what we have always done or oops this surprised us and we have not found a good solution because we did not for see thsi problem all though last year it was also becoming a problem.

Things change and sports evolve, so what may have been done in the past, may no longer be appropriate for the future or current state of a sport. If your job is only High school sports and that is your focus every single day. Then I guess I was looking for a solution a little more ahead of the game and not which seems to be the excuse of cost or this is what we have always done or oops this surprised us and we have not found a good solution because we did not for see thsi problem all though last year it was also becoming a problem.
People have to remember, it's 300 and something school districts who are responsible for coming up with a solution with the people in the offices at the NSAA. The employees of the NSAA serve the member schools, they don't make the rules, they don't create the divisions with which we play high school sports....they simply work to do the best they can at running the sponsored activities within the parameters the schools have created and voted upon.

Ron Higdon has mentioned that there would be issues with the quick growth of girls wrestling, and we must work to find solutions. Now everyone must work together to help find solutions that work for most.

People have to remember, it's 300 and something school districts who are responsible for coming up with a solution with the people in the offices at the NSAA. The employees of the NSAA serve the member schools, they don't make the rules, they don't create the divisions with which we play high school sports....they simply work to do the best they can at running the sponsored activities within the parameters the schools have created and voted upon.

Ron Higdon has mentioned that there would be issues with the quick growth of girls wrestling, and we must work to find solutions. Now everyone must work together to help find solutions that work for most.
This is very true and hopefully leads to at least a suggestion by the NSAA and we do not continue on this path that will only become more of a problem. BUT knowing and seeing the problem, you would think the NSAA would come out and say if we do not do something this will only get worse. If the NSAA would come up with options to give to schools it would be passed. Just sticking your head in the sand is not great leadership in my opinion

What other sports that have a boys and girls teams? Well basketball does and they split the weekends for state. As girls wrestling grows, split the state tournament to different weekends to give each their own spotlight.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
What other sports that have a boys and girls teams? Well basketball does and they split the weekends for state. As girls wrestling grows, split the state tournament to different weekends to give each their own spotlight.

Maybe just being contrarian, but it seems to me the more closely related sport in qualifying for state (do so individually, not as a team and involves girls and boys teams) would be track.

And they split days by class, not by gender.

But I have absolutely no clue the right answer to this issue or how to solve it.

Maybe just being contrarian, but it seems to me the more closely related sport in qualifying for state (do so individually, not as a team and involves girls and boys teams) would be track.

And they split days by class, not by gender.

But I have absolutely no clue the right answer to this issue or how to solve it.
That would also be a solid option.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT