ADVERTISEMENT

8 man cutoff

People are being real jerks to nut in this thread. I dont have to agree with what hes saying to see that he makes valid points. He isnt the anti christ people, calm down. Its a bad look.

If I were to sum up what Im reading, opting down seems to be working for schools. They get to play and the teams who are in the correct classificiation get to move on in the playoffs. I dont see what the problem is.

Its impossible to have a perfect system as every school has advantages and disadvantages, they ebb and flow, and whats a disadvatage at one school isnt at another.
Seems the current system is working ok.

I believe that is what most of us are trying to get nut to understand....is that the rule seems to be working just fine and programs are making their decisions based on what's best for their program. I wouldn't say people are being mean to nut - just trying to make valid points on why the rule works. Not saying that nut has to agree but don't be bashing the programs that are doing the best they can given the situation they are in.

I believe that is what most of us are trying to get nut to understand....is that the rule seems to be working just fine and programs are making their decisions based on what's best for their program. I wouldn't say people are being mean to nut - just trying to make valid points on why the rule works. Not saying that nut has to agree but don't be bashing the programs that are doing the best they can given the situation they are in.
I guess i just missed the bashing. Most anger in this thread is being directed at nut, not from nut. And yes programs should make those decisions themselves but should not be eligible for playoffs. The system works overall considering there’s no perfect system.

I guess i just missed the bashing. Most anger in this thread is being directed at nut, not from nut. And yes programs should make those decisions themselves but should not be eligible for playoffs. The system works overall considering there’s no perfect system.

The only person in this thread that doesn't believe the system is working is nut. It seems as if the programs opting down understand and agree that they shouldn't be eligible for playoffs. But it is what it is and it's Friday night, so let's enjoy another beautiful night of high school football!

The only reason I got in this thread is due to Nut claiming that kids in the schools opting down should "option to another school," or "just go out for another sport." Those 2 solutions are absolutely absurd!

The only reason I got in this thread is due to Nut claiming that kids in the schools opting down should "option to another school," or "just go out for another sport." Those 2 solutions are absolutely absurd!
Jaw yes those two are a hard line and old school, probably why 41 of the 50 states do it. So if I take your view and say that opting is better, the part I do not get is putting them in a district. That is just as absurd.

Reactions: nenebskers
Just throwing out another scenario here to see if it might help.

First off, the argument of a kid getting hurt while playing an opt-down team needs to be off the table. That is a poor point on the best day. Kids can get hurt no matter who they are playing or in practice for that matter.

Opt-down schools will not be assigned in a district. They would be considered an non district opponent.

There are no wild card points awarded for a game against an opt-down team. Most of these teams are minimal point games anyway, and depending upon how competitive a district is could actually hurt a teams wild card point average.

In essence, these opt-down opponents would mean nothing regarding a teams journey to the State Playoffs. In the case of Wakefield, it would be a great opportunity to get better and in the case of a struggling program it would be a great opportunity to get some younger kids some reps.

I believe this is something that could be looked at and would likely not draw much opposition from Athletic Directors throughout the State.

No offense here Nut, because I typically agree with most of your opinions, but anyone using an "everyone gets a medal" argument while debating what is fair or not in Nebraska Class D football has no leg to stand on. The very fact that a 3 win team can get into post season play pretty much negates that point. Don't get me wrong, I understand and respect your points. We just don't agree this time, and there is nothing wrong with that at all!

Reactions: JAW20
Just throwing out another scenario here to see if it might help.

First off, the argument of a kid getting hurt while playing an opt-down team needs to be off the table. That is a poor point on the best day. Kids can get hurt no matter who they are playing or in practice for that matter.

Opt-down schools will not be assigned in a district. They would be considered an non district opponent.

There are no wild card points awarded for a game against an opt-down team. Most of these teams are minimal point games anyway, and depending upon how competitive a district is could actually hurt a teams wild card point average.

In essence, these opt-down opponents would mean nothing regarding a teams journey to the State Playoffs. In the case of Wakefield, it would be a great opportunity to get better and in the case of a struggling program it would be a great opportunity to get some younger kids some reps.

I believe this is something that could be looked at and would likely not draw much opposition from Athletic Directors throughout the State.

No offense here Nut, because I typically agree with most of your opinions, but anyone using an "everyone gets a medal" argument while debating what is fair or not in Nebraska Class D football has no leg to stand on. The very fact that a 3 win team can get into post season play pretty much negates that point. Don't get me wrong, I understand and respect your points. We just don't agree this time, and there is nothing wrong with that at all!
No problem, after hearing everyone, and wading through the crying and those who struggle to debate a point. I will give you they can opt down, but they should not be in a district and should not have full schedule if a team who is eligible does not

No problem, after hearing everyone, and wading through the crying and those who struggle to debate a point. I will give you they can opt down, but they should not be in a district and should not have full schedule if a team who is eligible does not
No District and no full schedule if eligible teams do not, two points we can agree on!! Wakefield is the only legitimate opt down team. All others are very much struggling and at some point teams will enact revenge against Wakefield!! Was hoping LCC would get them this week. Wakefield has been winning and do it the wrong way. They are regularly up big and leave starters in whole game. Learn to win with class!

No District and no full schedule if eligible teams do not, two points we can agree on!! Wakefield is the only legitimate opt down team. All others are very much struggling and at some point teams will enact revenge against Wakefield!! Was hoping LCC would get them this week. Wakefield has been winning and do it the wrong way. They are regularly up big and leave starters in whole game. Learn to win with class!

I have actually heard the opposite - they have pulled their starters in the 3rd quarter when up big. I haven't been to a game but the person who told me was personally at one of their games when they did it. Maybe that isn't the case for every game but I'd be shocked if it wasn't.

I have actually heard the opposite - they have pulled their starters in the 3rd quarter when up big. I haven't been to a game but the person who told me was personally at one of their games when they did it. Maybe that isn't the case for every game but I'd be shocked if it wasn't.
Seen them twice and starters were left in virtually the entire game in blowouts

I know Buff..... And he knows Me!!!! ---James Earl Jones voice from Sandlot! Lol, but I think we are both really passionate and care about our kids, if you can't tell!
Then maybe you should of voted to co-op with Allen and Emerson last year and played C-1. All three schools agreed to colors and a mascot for the co-op and then Wakefield backed out in the 11th hour. You win games, you go to the playoffs. I guess it is a lot easier to win 8 man games with 2 studs than in 11 man.

Then maybe you should of voted to co-op with Allen and Emerson last year and played C-1. All three schools agreed to colors and a mascot for the co-op and then Wakefield backed out in the 11th hour. You win games, you go to the playoffs. I guess it is a lot easier to win 8 man games with 2 studs than in 11 man.
Like I’ve already offered..... DM me and come visit..... Would love to talk and crunch numbers, and you can see for yourself.
PS. I didn’t have a vote.

Video evidence above that I fully supported the Co-op, but I too did not get to vote. I’m here to educate, not argue. You all can criticize my program, you have that right, and I’m o.k. with that. Nut and others have the right to disagree with me, I just feel a lot of uneducated opinions are formed about our program without a single clue of what goes on inside our program and the walls of our school. Just trying to hopefully shed some light on our situation and help everyone see it through our eyes. Like always call me 402-287-2012 and ask for Coach Hassler, be glad to give you a tour and sit down man to man for a chat and let you criticize me, my kids, and my program to my face. I’ll repeat, I do what is in the best interest of my kids with the hand that I’m dealt.

Video evidence above that I fully supported the Co-op, but I too did not get to vote. I’m here to educate, not argue. You all can criticize my program, you have that right, and I’m o.k. with that. Nut and others have the right to disagree with me, I just feel a lot of uneducated opinions are formed about our program without a single clue of what goes on inside our program and the walls of our school. Just trying to hopefully shed some light on our situation and help everyone see it through our eyes. Like always call me 402-287-2012 and ask for Coach Hassler, be glad to give you a tour and sit down man to man for a chat and let you criticize me, my kids, and my program to my face. I’ll repeat, I do what is in the best interest of my kids with the hand that I’m dealt.
Once again, I disagree with the rule, and feel some changes like not putting opt team in districts would help, I did not want this or should this be about any one school, under the rule, those schools who opt are doing what they feel best is for their school. Enjoy discussing this and other topics, but do not like the bashing of any school. I am sure Wakefield is doing what they think is best as they are the only ones who truly know what they have and hindsight is always 20-20 They rule its self should be what we are talking about, again Coach, remember you are the one that brought up your school. Best to just stick to discussing the rule and the pros and cons

You are right Nut, I did bring up my school. Sorry but I mistook your earlier reference of 6 years of opting down and 7-1 record as a reference to me and my school. Which you stated that in fact you were not. Just glad I can share our situation as to why we do what we do. As for No District, if the NSAA can get me 8 games within a reasonable distance I have no problem not being in a district. We just want to play football. I just don’t think in the scope of how complex the NSAA scheduling is that it would even be feasible. As for ineligibles getting the short end of the stick when it comes to filling complete schedules, I wouldn’t have a problem with that either if the NSAA would grant us an extra week versus another ineligible team the week of first round of playoffs to still fill our 8 games. Don’t see how that would hurt anyone.

Reactions: coachlanum
I am still baffled this didn’t pass. It really is going to make things murky in the future. Allen and EH can’t sustain the co-op together. It needs Wakefield.

Or Allen just consolidates with Wakefield and Emerson-Hubbard to Pender. Or EH just dissolves and kids go to Pender, Wakefield, Sioux or Homer.

I am still baffled this didn’t pass. It really is going to make things murky in the future. Allen and EH can’t sustain the co-op together. It needs Wakefield.

Or Allen just consolidates with Wakefield and Emerson-Hubbard to Pender. Or EH just dissolves and kids go to Pender, Wakefield, Sioux or Homer.
BuT We'lL LoSE our iDeNTiTy?!? Guess what, rural NE is declining in population. Best to co-op into a good situation rather than being the last one standing & being at the mercy of others.

Ok Nut thought I would shed some light on this situation. I want you to know I am more towards your side on the RULE. I dont like the Rule either and the RULE needs modified in some way shape or form. You can't blame coaches, schools, or programs for following the RULE though. I will give you a scenario and I would like your intake on how you would handle it since you talked about your team having to play a team every year that opts down:
Scenario- You are coaching a football team and the discussion is for you to opt down. According to you, you would never do that. You chose not to play! Lets go through that process I would like your thoughts on each step:
1) You have to have talks with school board and administration that you are not opting down what so ever, you wont play before you opt down. They might laugh you out of the room or worse.
2) Some how you make it through that meeting, now you have to tell your players. How do you go about telling them we wont opt down, We play No Matter What! Not sure kids would enjoy that either. Probably lose some kids, kids you dont want to go.
3) If somehow you make it through that now you have to explain to those kids parents your logic for what you are doing. Don't need to say much here, wont get very far .
4) Get by that have to explain to the towns people, who enjoy coming to watch their own home town boys play under the lights on Fridays nights when at home. Most elderly look forward to that during this time. Hope your get away car is fast.
5) Now explain to alumni that return to games to watch why you made your decision.

Ill give you the idea you are going to actually play in your class you are suppose to. OK, your count is 52 but you got out 25. 7 are Freshman. In first 2 weeks of practice 3 players are out for the year to injury. You hardly have enough for 11 on 11. That's not talking other kids being gone because they are ill (NOT COVID) others gone because of other activities they are in, which does happen. Now you might have 19-20 kids at practice, hard to replicate what your opponent does when you dont have the numbers to practice truly. Yes, some teams make it work but others can not. May not think it but depth does make a difference with teams. Now you are playing freshman against others who are more developed than them, that sure makes them want to continue playing. Havent even mentioned JV yet, cant afford it in order to play on Friday. Doesnt help you develop players to build a program. Now this group is half way through and the injury bug has found your team and you have to make that decision to forfeit a game. Now you have to explain to everyone from above that decision. Round 12 coming in hot. Now others that are on this board are screaming why didnt they opt down? How dare they forfeit games, that's not fair. See where this is going.
Now I understand that you dont like the RULE, either do I but we dont know every programs situation. I have been apart of a team that forfeited games, let me tell you explaining why we had to a thousand times to parents community members and others around us is not fun. The ripple effect that teams have when they dont play in small towns is very large. Crazy how a town feels when you dont hear the game or see the lights on during the season.
All I am saying is not every program is the same and each one is in a different situation. Again dont like the RULE either but going down and having the name of your program across the chest and the lights on are a heck of lot better than not having that at all. Just want you to keep that in mind when these programs have to make these very difficult decision, and they are that.

I also b
Ok Nut thought I would shed some light on this situation. I want you to know I am more towards your side on the RULE. I dont like the Rule either and the RULE needs modified in some way shape or form. You can't blame coaches, schools, or programs for following the RULE though. I will give you a scenario and I would like your intake on how you would handle it since you talked about your team having to play a team every year that opts down:
Scenario- You are coaching a football team and the discussion is for you to opt down. According to you, you would never do that. You chose not to play! Lets go through that process I would like your thoughts on each step:
1) You have to have talks with school board and administration that you are not opting down what so ever, you wont play before you opt down. They might laugh you out of the room or worse.
2) Some how you make it through that meeting, now you have to tell your players. How do you go about telling them we wont opt down, We play No Matter What! Not sure kids would enjoy that either. Probably lose some kids, kids you dont want to go.
3) If somehow you make it through that now you have to explain to those kids parents your logic for what you are doing. Don't need to say much here, wont get very far .
4) Get by that have to explain to the towns people, who enjoy coming to watch their own home town boys play under the lights on Fridays nights when at home. Most elderly look forward to that during this time. Hope your get away car is fast.
5) Now explain to alumni that return to games to watch why you made your decision.

Ill give you the idea you are going to actually play in your class you are suppose to. OK, your count is 52 but you got out 25. 7 are Freshman. In first 2 weeks of practice 3 players are out for the year to injury. You hardly have enough for 11 on 11. That's not talking other kids being gone because they are ill (NOT COVID) others gone because of other activities they are in, which does happen. Now you might have 19-20 kids at practice, hard to replicate what your opponent does when you dont have the numbers to practice truly. Yes, some teams make it work but others can not. May not think it but depth does make a difference with teams. Now you are playing freshman against others who are more developed than them, that sure makes them want to continue playing. Havent even mentioned JV yet, cant afford it in order to play on Friday. Doesnt help you develop players to build a program. Now this group is half way through and the injury bug has found your team and you have to make that decision to forfeit a game. Now you have to explain to everyone from above that decision. Round 12 coming in hot. Now others that are on this board are screaming why didnt they opt down? How dare they forfeit games, that's not fair. See where this is going.
Now I understand that you dont like the RULE, either do I but we dont know every programs situation. I have been apart of a team that forfeited games, let me tell you explaining why we had to a thousand times to parents community members and others around us is not fun. The ripple effect that teams have when they dont play in small towns is very large. Crazy how a town feels when you dont hear the game or see the lights on during the season.
All I am saying is not every program is the same and each one is in a different situation. Again dont like the RULE either but going down and having the name of your program across the chest and the lights on are a heck of lot better than not having that at all. Just want you to keep that in mind when these programs have to make these very difficult decision, and they are that.
Like I said I do not blame them for taking advantage of the rule, I think the rule needs some changes,
No one misses practice for other activities or they do not play, that I can ensure you is how its done. Everyone is at practice at all times, that has never changed. FFA, FCLA, Band, Vocal you name it, football players are in all of these but all of these activities are back by 3:30pm for practice. I have seen several teams play 3 or more freshman and several sophomores and take lumps but get better, teams I think of recent are Centennial and Lincoln christian played tons of 9th and 10th graders and got pounded and one ended up as seniors winning a title and LC has a good year going this year. everyone goes up and down on this if you are in C2. I would not opt down. would not and thats the truth. Sometimes players start friday but are very young and play JV on monday if they are a freshmen or sophomore, because that JV time is more important than that varsity time, because you know that varsity season is going to be poor anyways, so you learn to win at JV level with young kids playing both.

I also b

Like I said I do not blame them for taking advantage of the rule, I think the rule needs some changes,
No one misses practice for other activities or they do not play, that I can ensure you is how its done. Everyone is at practice at all times, that has never changed. FFA, FCLA, Band, Vocal you name it, football players are in all of these but all of these activities are back by 3:30pm for practice. I have seen several teams play 3 or more freshman and several sophomores and take lumps but get better, teams I think of recent are Centennial and Lincoln christian played tons of 9th and 10th graders and got pounded and one ended up as seniors winning a title and LC has a good year going this year. everyone goes up and down on this if you are in C2. I would not opt down. would not and thats the truth. Sometimes players start friday but are very young and play JV on monday if they are a freshmen or sophomore, because that JV time is more important than that varsity time, because you know that varsity season is going to be poor anyways, so you learn to win at JV level with young kids playing both.

Not true. It depends on the school. Some schools travel a lot further for various activities than others, and practice time is missed. It's unavoidable for some districts.

Reactions: Yossarian23
I can tell you kids miss practice because of other activities, seen it first hand. You must not coach and know the rules when it comes to kids playing JV and varsity in same week. That changes what you can do in between for the week in practice, so either you dont know that or you are bending the rules. Also, if you are not opting down again how do you explain that school boards, administration, players, coaches, parents, ect. What if you as a coach dont get to make that final decision? Are you quitting?

I can tell you kids miss practice because of other activities, seen it first hand. You must not coach and know the rules when it comes to kids playing JV and varsity in same week. That changes what you can do in between for the week in practice, so either you dont know that or you are bending the rules. Also, if you are not opting down again how do you explain that school boards, administration, players, coaches, parents, ect. What if you as a coach dont get to make that final decision? Are you quitting?
Rule is 8 quarters a week and yes i would not coach, and if you choose your sport as not important enough to be at practice and do not demand it, you will have kids miss, if that district says they will, leave if you ever want to truly coach a consistent good team, and again if that is the case that is why they have the trouble they do, they choose this trouble

I'm not talking number of quarters I'm talking about what you can do at practice in between those games. You obviously dont know those rules. Apparently if you are making the choice of not coaching if opting down then you have no sympathy for any program that decides to. That's your opinion and I'm fine with that. You have your views on this and I and others have theirs.

I should not have used the word "you", Wakefield or Wakefield School Board would have been a better term. I just found it strange that the COOP was not mentioned at all in the thread and thought it should be thrown out there. Nothing against you or your program. You were bringing up all the facts but failed to mention the COOP, which I knew you supported.

I'm not talking number of quarters I'm talking about what you can do at practice in between those games. You obviously dont know those rules. Apparently if you are making the choice of not coaching if opting down then you have no sympathy for any program that decides to. That's your opinion and I'm fine with that. You have your views on this and I and others have theirs.
I know contact limitation the next day I agree you have your opinion and thats all good, like I said I am just discussing the rule and people storm in to defend their school. The rule its self could use a few adjustments, I believe those schools still have other options they refuse to look out because opting is allowed

Rule is 8 quarters a week and yes i would not coach, and if you choose your sport as not important enough to be at practice and do not demand it, you will have kids miss, if that district says they will, leave if you ever want to truly coach a consistent good team, and again if that is the case that is why they have the trouble they do, they choose this trouble

Are you advocating that students need to prioritize football (or a single activity) above all else? If you are, that's a horrible take and is impossible, especially in the size of schools at the center of this conversation.

Reactions: Buff-alo
I know contact limitation the next day I agree you have your opinion and thats all good, like I said I am just discussing the rule and people storm in to defend their school. The rule its self could use a few adjustments, I believe those schools still have other options they refuse to look out because opting is allowed

I have a few questions regarding this situation. How do you know that schools that have opted down haven't looked at all their options before making their decision? What are the options they are refusing to look at? Also, you have mentioned that you would not field a team if your only choice was to opt down - that's fine but how do you tell your players, parents, administration, and community that we will not have a football team because I will not allow our school to opt down? I'm not here to argue - just curious on your reasons.

I have a few questions regarding this situation. How do you know that schools that have opted down haven't looked at all their options before making their decision? What are the options they are refusing to look at? Also, you have mentioned that you would not field a team if your only choice was to opt down - that's fine but how do you tell your players, parents, administration, and community that we will not have a football team because I will not allow our school to opt down? I'm not here to argue - just curious on your reasons.
Other options are coop and play season in class you are in, just because you have 25 players doesnt mean you can not compete in C2

Are you advocating that students need to prioritize football (or a single activity) above all else? If you are, that's a horrible take and is impossible, especially in the size of schools at the center of this conversation.
I disagree, because this is what the top schools do bud You can do other activities just not from 3:30 to 6pm

Other options are coop and play season in class you are in, just because you have 25 players doesnt mean you can not compete in C2

But my question was, how do you know that all schools that opted down didn't consider those options? Were you in the discussions with those schools? So, you start the season with 25 players - the question is - what do you tell your players, parents, administration, and community on why you have to forfeit games? "We are forfeiting because I will not opt down a class for my kids to compete on weekly basis!" Will kids want to play for a coach that isn't looking out for their best interest? If your program has to forfeit games - how would that affect it? I'd like to know what you would do because some of these schools are in that scenario.

But my question was, how do you know that all schools that opted down didn't consider those options? Were you in the discussions with those schools? So, you start the season with 25 players - the question is - what do you tell your players, parents, administration, and community on why you have to forfeit games? "We are forfeiting because I will not opt down a class for my kids to compete on weekly basis!" Will kids want to play for a coach that isn't looking out for their best interest? If your program has to forfeit games - how would that affect it? I'd like to know what you would do because some of these schools are in that scenario.
We are forfeiting games because we had injuries and have lost so many players that we can field 11 guys

We are forfeiting games because we had injuries and have lost so many players that we can field 11 guys
Just curious NUT, not trying to argue or stir the pot. Interested to know your answer, because you always say the opt down teams are making their problem the problem of everyone else. Did you just not make YOUR PROBLEM the problem of the other schools that just lost a game on their schedule because you couldn't come up with 11 guys to play? Thoughts?

Reactions: Yossarian23
Just curious NUT, not trying to argue or stir the pot. Interested to know your answer, because you always say the opt down teams are making their problem the problem of everyone else. Did you just not make YOUR PROBLEM the problem of the other schools that just lost a game on their schedule because you couldn't come up with 11 guys to play? Thoughts?
Give it a year or so and you will find a coop happen, but allowing opting just delays what must happen and prolongs the problem. Plus these schools that opt are opting to win games, not to have a team, look at Schuyler they have around 40 or more out each year, the didnt forfeit any games but opted down to win. Then most say to build a program, same thing Ravenna said when the opted down, but many years later and winning games they still opt down, they are not opting to stop from forfeiting

The state is dwindling. Just go to 3- 8man classes if the state doesn't want to have a 9 man league. But this needs to be done for the next cycle.

Reactions: KansanForNU
Give it a year or so and you will find a coop happen, but allowing opting just delays what must happen and prolongs the problem. Plus these schools that opt are opting to win games, not to have a team, look at Schuyler they have around 40 or more out each year, the didnt forfeit any games but opted down to win. Then most say to build a program, same thing Ravenna said when the opted down, but many years later and winning games they still opt down, they are not opting to stop from forfeiting
You didn’t answer my question though, did you not just make YOUR problem the problem of the schools who just lost a game because you forfeited?

You didn’t answer my question though, did you not just make YOUR problem the problem of the schools who just lost a game because you forfeited?

Could be wrong but your tone, albeit through text, comes across like arguing and stirring the pot which is exactly what you said your trying not to do. Thats fine if you are but don't state otherwise.

Could be wrong but your tone, albeit through text, comes across like arguing and stirring the pot which is exactly what you said your trying not to do. Thats fine if you are but don't state otherwise.
Tone always comes across the wrong way, I’m not trying to be a dick. I’m just curious as to what his thoughts are that flips the scenario of sharing your schools “problems” with other teams. I’ll let it drop if he doesn’t want to answer. Just a good conversation is all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT