ADVERTISEMENT

Ainsworth going Independent?

northeastNebraska

All-State
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2008
Highway 30
Reading this sounds like they are going independent at least for one year?

* Ainsworth withdraws from Southwest Conference

(Posted 7 a.m. Feb. 13 from the radio affiliate KBRB in Ainsworth)

The Ainsworth Community Schools Board of Education voted unanimously Monday to officially exit the Southwest Conference following the 2023-24 school year.

The board has discussed its conference affiliation for the past several meetings, weighing the size and distance of a majority of the conference schools against the opportunities provided by remaining in the conference.

Superintendent Dale Hafer said he attended the Southwest Conference Superintendents meeting in January. He said all of the schools were supportive and voted to allow Ainsworth to withdraw its membership from the conference if the board chose that route.

“I think we’ve done the right thing,” Hafer said. “We have taken our time with this, and we have received a lot of input. I think there will be an opportunity for us to be in a conference in the future.”

Hafer said Activities Director Luke Wroblewski was working to add games to next year’s basketball schedule against O’Neill St. Mary’s, Neligh-Oakdale, Anselmo-Merna and others with the goal of replacing some of the Southwest Conference Schools currently on the basketball schedule.

Hafer said the school plans to keep playing against Valentine, Broken Bow and Cozad, but will likely drop games against other SWC members Ogallala, McCook, Holdrege, Minden and Gothenburg.

He said the school was actively working on additional opportunities in the fine arts as well.

Ainsworth joined the Southwest Conference during the 2005-06 school year following the dissolution of the Rangeland Conference and will complete its 20th and final year in the SWC this year.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
So now that the school year is over, I'm assuming Ainsworth will be independent for the 24-25 school year?
Correct. Sounds like it was sort of a mutual agreement made by Ainsworth and the Southwest conference that Ainsworth needed to get out. Especially with not only their boys, but their girls being D in a few things moving forward it doesn't make sense for them to be in the SWC. They plan on being independent until someone takes them. Really comes down to when/if the NVC lets them in, as that is really the only option.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Creighton is considering a move to the NVC(if a formal invite occurs) according to their May board minutes.

Feel bad for ainsworth, guessing the NVC lets them in eventuality. They aren’t that much further west than rock county and traditionally it’s not like they are a power house in any particular sport

Creighton is considering a move to the NVC(if a formal invite occurs) according to their May board minutes.

Feel bad for ainsworth, guessing the NVC lets them in eventuality. They aren’t that much further west than rock county and traditionally it’s not like they are a power house in any particular sport
Creighton was a team that I believe had a original invite to the new GNAC but said no because they wanted to see what happens with the L&C.

Ainsworth is in tough spot because there enrollment has dipped so quickly from 2010-2020. They seem like a natural fit in the NVC with those schools.

Creighton was a team that I believe had a original invite to the new GNAC but said no because they wanted to see what happens with the L&C.

Ainsworth is in tough spot because there enrollment has dipped so quickly from 2010-2020. They seem like a natural fit in the NVC with those schools.
Creighton 100% was part of the original GNAC and "invite." They shot it down relatively quickly, and really not sure why. Their numbers coming up would make them a pretty natural fit, and would have to be a better option than traveling to Bago & Walthill. With that being said, if they are able to get into the NVC that is a solid fit.

Creighton 100% was part of the original GNAC and "invite." They shot it down relatively quickly, and really not sure why. Their numbers coming up would make them a pretty natural fit, and would have to be a better option than traveling to Bago & Walthill. With that being said, if they are able to get into the NVC that is a solid fit.
I'm curious as well as to why they moved away from the GNAC so quickly. I wonder if they are regretting that now.

As far as traveling to Bago and Walthill, Creighton does not schedule either of them in the regular season in any sports to my knowledge. A huge pet peave of mine and HS Conferences! They may have a trip here or there though come conference tournament time along with golf, cross country, etc...

Does anyone know if the L&C will continue to play their basketball Conference Championships at Wayne State? It was cool to see them go back to that recently after about 25 years away. Would love to see the Mid-States pick it up if the L&C doesn't.

I'm curious as well as to why they moved away from the GNAC so quickly. I wonder if they are regretting that now.

As far as traveling to Bago and Walthill, Creighton does not schedule either of them in the regular season in any sports to my knowledge. A huge pet peave of mine and HS Conferences! They may have a trip here or there though come conference tournament time along with golf, cross country, etc...

Does anyone know if the L&C will continue to play their basketball Conference Championships at Wayne State? It was cool to see them go back to that recently after about 25 years away. Would love to see the Mid-States pick it up if the L&C doesn't.
I also wonder why Creighton wasn't all in on the GNAC. Seemed like a very logical fit for them, unless they think they are going to be consistently D2 or D1.

I feel like Northeast CC used to host the Mid-State championships back when I was in high school (mid-2000's). Could be wrong though. Would be great if WSC could host it for the Mid-State.

I also wonder why Creighton wasn't all in on the GNAC. Seemed like a very logical fit for them, unless they think they are going to be consistently D2 or D1.

I feel like Northeast CC used to host the Mid-State championships back when I was in high school (mid-2000's). Could be wrong though. Would be great if WSC could host it for the Mid-State.
Northeast CC hosted Mid State Conference basketball for a long time. I heard that Northeast was charging a lot to use their facility and the Mid State Conference didn’t want to pay that much money to have their games at Northeast.

Northeast CC hosted Mid State Conference basketball for a long time. I heard that Northeast was charging a lot to use their facility and the Mid State Conference didn’t want to pay that much money to have their games at Northeast.
You are correct......NECC was charging quite a bit for facility usage. Probably also why there are no longer sub-district/District finals games hosted there anymore either.

Last I had heard I believe the L&C finals will still be hosted at WSC. Might need some confirmation on that.
Also to note that they will be going back to one bracket instead of two. Also might need some confirmation on that.

Last I had heard I believe the L&C finals will still be hosted at WSC. Might need some confirmation on that.
Also to note that they will be going back to one bracket instead of two. Also might need some confirmation on that.
Your correct on the one bracket.

Correct on both accounts from what I have been told, the return to one bracket will be welcomed IMO. I was never a fan of the split brackets.

That GNAC conference is going to be a Real blood bath yearly too competition wise. Unless a school felt they were going to be a big D1 or a C2 in the near future I can see not signing up for that.

Correct on both accounts from what I have been told, the return to one bracket will be welcomed IMO. I was never a fan of the split brackets.

That GNAC conference is going to be a Real blood bath yearly too competition wise. Unless a school felt they were going to be a big D1 or a C2 in the near future I can see not signing up for that.
Creighton's elementary numbers are very good, and they should return to the C2 level in the next 5-6 years, possibly earlier.

I think Creighton backed out of the GNAC, and now could look at leaving the Lewis & Clark, so they can find a place to be the biggest fish in the pond. They would have been toward the bottom of the GNAC enrollment, and I think they see clear problems with the future of the L&C.

Creighton's elementary numbers are very good, and they should return to the C2 level in the next 5-6 years, possibly earlier.

I think Creighton backed out of the GNAC, and now could look at leaving the Lewis & Clark, so they can find a place to be the biggest fish in the pond. They would have been toward the bottom of the GNAC enrollment, and I think they see clear problems with the future of the L&C.
Do you think they'll play 11 man football in 5-6 years?

I guess what league could they big the biggest fish in the pond if they leave L&C? NVC? That is the only real option, unless they went to the Golderod, but that doesn't seem like a fit at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT