ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball American Legion World Series Bracket (Final)

Alum-Ni

All-State
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004
The ALWS begins on Thursday, August 10 in Shelby, North Carolina.

August 10

STARS DIVISION

Troy (Alabama) 13, Ellsworth (Maine) 3
League City (Texas) 4, Cheyenne (Wyoming) 0

STRIPES DIVISION
Brooklawn (New Jersey) 9, Cedar Rapids (Iowa) 2
Florence (South Carolina) 3, Lincoln East 0

============================

August 11
Cheyenne (Wyoming) 2, Ellsworth (Maine) 1
League City (Texas) 3, Troy (Alabama) 2

August 12
Florence (South Carolina) 5, Cedar Rapids (Iowa) 4
Lincoln East 3, Brooklawn (New Jersey) 0
Cheyenne (Wyoming) 3, Troy (Alabama) 2

August 13
Ellsworth (Maine) 4, League City (Texas) 2
Lincoln East 9, Cedar Rapids (Iowa) 0
Brooklawn (New Jersey) 10, Florence (South Carolina) 4

=============================

MONDAY - AUGUST 14

SEMIFINALS

Lincoln East 2 Cheyenne (Wyoming) 1
League City (Texas) 4, Brooklawn (New Jersey) 1

=============================

TUESDAY - AUGUST 15

AMERICAN LEGION WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

League City (Texas) 1, Lincoln East 0

Last edited:
The ALWS begins on Thursday, August 10 in Shelby, North Carolina.

First Round
League City (Texas) vs. Cheyenne (Wyoming)
Brooklawn (New Jersey) vs. Midland (Michigan) -or- Cedar Rapids (Iowa)
Ellsworth (Maine) vs. Troy (Alabama)
Florence (South Carolina) vs. Lincoln East
I'm sure you know this, but it's important to note that the ALWS does not use a bracket format.

There are 2 pools with 4 teams in each pool. The top 2 teams from each pool advance to a single elimination bracket for the championships.

Each team is guaranteed 3 pool games. 4 of the 8 teams then play in the semifinals, with the winners advancing to the championship game.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa beat Midland, Michigan 2-1 in the Great Lakes Regional. The pool format has made for a number of tie breakers over the years. The ALWS has a six point tie breaker system starting with head to head and ending with a coin flip!

Updated through the weekend games.

Lincoln East has made it to the semifinals and will play Cheyenne (Wyoming) at 3:00 this afternoon

Lincoln East advanced to the championship game of the American Legion World Series and fell to League City (Texas) in the final 1-0 to finish as national runner-up.

Reactions: saluno22
What makes Nebraska American Legion baseball special is that our Class A teams are really just high school spring teams playing in the summer. Many of the teams that make it to the biggest stage of this tournament are a combination of multiple high schools that put together all-star teams. I am fairly certain the League City, Texas team that beat Lincoln East was built that way too.

Imagine what Nebraska baseball teams would look like at that stage if you put together an all-star teams...........the state only winning one National Championship is a bit of an understatement about the quality of baseball we have here. It's just that our makeup of teams is a little different than the rest of the country.

What makes Nebraska American Legion baseball special is that our Class A teams are really just high school spring teams playing in the summer. Many of the teams that make it to the biggest stage of this tournament are a combination of multiple high schools that put together all-star teams. I am fairly certain the League City, Texas team that beat Lincoln East was built that way too.

Imagine what Nebraska baseball teams would look like at that stage if you put together an all-star teams...........the state only winning one National Championship is a bit of an understatement about the quality of baseball we have here. It's just that our makeup of teams is a little different than the rest of the country.
I'd love to have someone with confirmed knowledge of how Summer Legion teams are built across the U.S. I was under the assumption that there were rules limiting all U.S. Legion teams eligible for the World Series from bringing an All-State all-star team.

I’m not sure what the confirmed knowledge of how legion teams are put together line means, but I know exactly how many other states put together teams. I wouldn’t comment if I wasn’t sure.

Here’s the senior legion national rule book.

Start reading on page 24 of the document. It notes that you cannot recruit from a combination of schools with an enrollment of more than 7500 kids.

It’s not that you can have an all-state all start team, but what most states do at the highest level is combine multiple high schools. They can take the top 4-5 players from 3-4 schools, and then compete.

I’ve got a program from the Central Plains Regional held in Sioux Falls in 2021.

Sioux Falls Post 15 East is kids from Lincoln, Washington, and O’Gormann.

Renner, SD had kids from Lincoln, O’Gormann, Madison, Dell Rapids, and Tea.

Osseo, MN & Hopkins, MN were each entirely made up of one high school.

West Fargo had kids from West Fargo and West Fargo Sheyenne.

Fargo Post 400 was Davies and Sheyenne high school.

DePere, WI was DePere and West DePere high schools.

La Crosse, WI was LaCrosse Aquinas, LaCrosse Central, and Onalaska Luther.

That’s just one region, but it happens across the country. Imagine a team made up of kids from Millard and Elkhorn. Yikes.

Imagine Lincoln East with some Pius X and Southeast/Southwest kids.

Nebraska just doesn’t do that, while others do.

Here’s the roster of Idaho Falls, the team who had won 2 in a row and got runner up in year 3. Take a look at the high schools represented:

Reactions: saluno22
I’m not sure what the confirmed knowledge of how legion teams are put together line means, but I know exactly how many other states put together teams. I wouldn’t comment if I wasn’t sure.

Start reading on page 24 of the document. It notes that you cannot recruit from a combination of schools with an enrollment of more than 7500 kids.

It’s not that you can have an all-state all start team, but what most states do at the highest level is combine multiple high schools. They can take the top 4-5 players from 3-4 schools, and then compete.

I’ve got a program from the Central Plains Regional held in Sioux Falls in 2021.

That’s just one region, but it happens across the country. Imagine a team made up of kids from Millard and Elkhorn. Yikes.

Here’s the roster of Idaho Falls, the team who had won 2 in a row and got runner up in year 3. Take a look at the high schools represented:
Great, I appreciate the information. It was also during the ESPN3 broadcasts that a few players from various teams were ineligible for the Regional tourneys & World Series play. Curious if the

Thank you for this info.

So what happened with the ineligible players was this:

Lincoln East had three players, Worthley, Senstock, and Peltz, that went to some "showcases" right after the Nebraska State Tournament.

The rule that was in place for legion basically says that if you leave your Legion team during the postseason to participate in some other form of baseball, then you cannot return to the team.

Two of the East players went to the Area Code games in San Diego during the tourney, while the other went to another similar showcase. They are trying to get their names and faces in front of pro scouts, and that was the decision they made.

It's unfortunate they couldn't return because I don't feel like this is a situation where they left the Legion team to go play Prospects or join an Amateur team.........it's more a situation of improving their potential draft stock.

Thanks ACICOD! Your info. is spot on. I've explained these same situations (albeit not on a message board) to numerous people the last few weeks. I know for a fact that the Idaho Falls team that won in 2019 had players from five different high schools. The Nebraska teams that make it Shelby are truly remarkable and it says a lot about the caliber of baseball in the state. One other thing about Legion baseball is that the American Legion takes the winning team to game 4 of the Major League World Series.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT