ADVERTISEMENT

Cedar Catholic vs Centura Semifinal Controversy

@bruiser84 . ClkTwr gave my understanding of the event. Actually calling it on the wrong girl would have been really unfortunate, and an indictment on officiating. Giving the foul to the wrong # inadvertently, is a mistake and, to me at least, completely on the Head Coach not doing his job. Sort of like in football if the officials begin marking off a penalty from the incorrect spot. Or the down marker, scoreboard, and officials not all in harmony on which down it is. In that case, nobody does nothing until we get on the same page!
The coach has a moral obligation to his athletes, and a professional obligation to the Game to ensure that the game is administered correctly. Some of the homers on here have tried to say the coach DID protest. Nonsense. If he ( or she, i have no clue) did, then they REALIZED they had gotten honked and would have coached accordingly, just another bad call, happens all the time. Right? This was a shock it seems to the entire HCC bench. THAT is on the Coach, no two ways about it.
Was at the game and you can go back and watch the "4th" foul, where the coach protested. So nice try throwing them under the bus. #2 was on the other side of the floor as #20 and Coach Wortmann protested that over and over.

whats the goal here Just to complain and get your feeling out
In every game at every level State title, Superbowl, NCAA championship there will be several missed and wrong calls IT is not new----- Heck in baseball you could have a computer call every ball and strike and never be wrong but they still do not do it

Was at the game and you can go back and watch the "4th" foul, where the coach protested. So nice try throwing them under the bus. #2 was on the other side of the floor as #20 and Coach Wortmann protested that over and over.
So you are saying that the Coaching Staff was 100% aware of which player the foul had been called on (even if they didn't agree with the call)? If that were the case, then the staff and more importantly the player knew that there was a girl on the floor playing with 4 fouls.

Am I understanding this correctly? I appreciate someone that was actually at the game weighing in.

whats the goal here Just to complain and get your feeling out
In every game at every level State title, Superbowl, NCAA championship there will be several missed and wrong calls IT is not new----- Heck in baseball you could have a computer call every ball and strike and never be wrong but they still do not do it
I think it is more about talking through an unusual situation and just trying to understand what all involved parties would have had going through their minds as the play in question unfolded.

And of course there is always the wonder of "did this ultimately have an impact on the final result"?

I am with you that complaining just to complain is of little value. I am not really feeling like that on this one...yet.

So you are saying that the Coaching Staff was 100% aware of which player the foul had been called on (even if they didn't agree with the call)? If that were the case, then the staff and more importantly the player knew that there was a girl on the floor playing with 4 fouls.

Am I understanding this correctly? I appreciate someone that was actually at the game weighing in.
Yes. That is why he was complaining. The girls were on opposite sides of the floor and the "C" ref called the illegal screen, which if you watch it, there was no contact, but that's beside the point. The CC coaches thought #2 had 3 fouls

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
Yes. That is why he was complaining. The girls were on opposite sides of the floor and the "C" ref called the illegal screen, which if you watch it, there was no contact, but that's beside the point. The CC coaches thought #2 had 3 fouls
I feel a little better now that I understand this.

I was under the impression that he Coaching Staff and Player did not know that it was a 4 foul situation.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
If he was complaining about her (the shooter) being called for a foul, he had better known she had 4 fouls, right? That makes it no different than the refs assigning the wrong kid a foul when it was a teammate hacked someone. Unfortunate, but it happens, and everybody moves on. What you are expecting me to believe that he realized she had been wrongly listed with a foul, complained, and then suddenly forgot that and believed she was still on 3 fouls????? And if the official signalled the foul correctly, which I thought was the consensus, what would he have complained about?

So, what we are talking about is just a missed call? No controversy? No epic miscommunication? No need to change procedures? If that IS the case I apologize to the HCC coach, the blind and deaf scorer, and/or the rogue scoreboard operator. I also don't feel anywhere near as bad for HCC or the girl involved. Ref makes a bad call. Happens. Deal with it. Move on. There! Solved!

If he was complaining about her (the shooter) being called for a foul, he had better known she had 4 fouls, right? That makes it no different than the refs assigning the wrong kid a foul when it was a teammate hacked someone. Unfortunate, but it happens, and everybody moves on. What you are expecting me to believe that he realized she had been wrongly listed with a foul, complained, and then suddenly forgot that and believed she was still on 3 fouls????? And if the official signalled the foul correctly, which I thought was the consensus, what would he have complained about?
He complained about the moving screen being called. He must not have thought it was a moving screen. The moving screen was called on #20.

So, what we are talking about is just a missed call? No controversy? No epic miscommunication? No need to change procedures? If that IS the case I apologize to the HCC coach, the blind and deaf scorer, and/or the rogue scoreboard operator. I also don't feel anywhere near as bad for HCC or the girl involved. Ref makes a bad call. Happens. Deal with it. Move on. There! Solved!
What The Wtf GIF by Justin

I'm thinking this may be as sincere of an apology you have ever issued 😁

I do agree with your summation of the events. Everyone involved in the actual game knew where that player was foul wise. How she got to 4 is perhaps a sore subject, but everyone knew.

i am confused. This sounds like a different story than I heard. I was not at the game. I was told there was a discrepency between the three scorebooks and the scoreboard. If it was just complaints about a missed call, I agree this has gone on too long. If the Noecker girl was incorrectly given the illegal screen foul that the Arens was supposed to receive, and it was listed also incorrectly on the scoreboard, it was an error. And this has still has probably gone on too long.

So number 2 had 5 fouls with one of them being really shitty? Or number 2 had 4 fouls and was DQed because they thought she had 5 fouls? With the foul in question supposedly on number 20 and not number 2?

I'm so lost. Everytime I think I understand what happened someone else makes a post and the story changes. Someone give a final cliff notes version once you all figure it out. LOL
Officials called a Foul on Player A. Some believe the foul SHOULD have been called on Player B. Player A is "All-World" so naturally any fan of the team Player A and B are on would argue in favor of Player B getting the foul.

The coaches knew Player A was given the foul, the official book knew that Player A was given the foul, the Officials knew that Player A was given the foul.

The Scoreboard operator credited the foul to Player B therefore creating the illusion that Player A was not in foul trouble. However Player A knew she was in foul trouble as did her coaches and all officials...EXCEPT the Scoreboard operator and the Scoreboard.

Player A fouled out and all hell broke loose.

Stay tuned 😀

I'm thinking this may be as sincere of an apology you have ever issued 😁

I do agree with your summation of the events. Everyone involved in the actual game knew where that player was foul wise. How she got to 4 is perhaps a sore subject, but everyone knew.
🤣🤣
That is a perfect summation. Not at all what I was led to believe. And tracks with what my Centura friend said. So zero controversy. Just an unfortunate call. Won't be the first time I've seen that at the state tournament. This will be the first time I've lost time from my life over a bad call in a blowout game... 😳

🤣🤣
That is a perfect summation. Not at all what I was led to believe. And tracks with what my Centura friend said. So zero controversy. Just an unfortunate call. Won't be the first time I've seen that at the state tournament. This will be the first time I've lost time from my life over a bad call in a blowout game... 😳
100% agree

Sounds like something they need to get Cattau involved in, he's good at calling other coaches/AD’s to tell them all the bad things their teams are doing, while totally overlooking his own schools shortfalls
a little harsh on your end

Not sure what is problem with scoreboard operator and official scorer communication but similar happend in Amherst/Norfolk Catholic 1st round game. Connor Kerkman of NC committed his 4th foul but not sure who got credited with foul as the 3 fouls remained by Kerkmans name on scoreboard. Kerkman was called for 5th short time later and seemed surprised when refs signaled he had fouled out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT