ADVERTISEMENT

Class C and D hoops hypotheticals

HighPlainsCoach

Senior
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2003
Traditionally, Sub-district and District games were held in centralized locations, generally at a school a class or 2 bigger, or at a college, etc. With C and D having the highest seed (Forgetting for the moment the obvious flaws of Nebraska's point "system") and watching one D1 boys sub in particular due to an earlier post, I have some questions:
1. What happens if the #1 is eliminated first round? Do the #4 and #2 have to travel to the #1, or would #2 host? Didn't see anything in the manual on this.
2. Is there any contingency for a school, due to a crackerbox, tiny, gym, simply cannot manage large crowds?
3. If said school insists on hosting would there be any contingency to ensure that tickets were equally distributed between the participating schools?
4. Why was it not decided to just allow the higher seed to host each game? Seems stupid, on a lot of levels, to have a 4/5 travel to #1, for a 1 game event. Especially in the far West. You could quite possibly have the two furthest travel an hour, or more, to play in front of a very sparse crowd.

There are some others, but these are the main questions. My biggest problem with "plans" is that very few ever plan for failure. "We didn't see this coming..." should NEVER be an excuse that is accepted. Contingencies are life. :)

1. What happens if the #1 is eliminated first round? Do the #4 and #2 have to travel to the #1, or would #2 host? Didn't see anything in the manual on this. (They travel to the number 1 seed or whoever is hosting the sub) Last year Hershey girls beat Chadron and Hershey played Imperial at Chadron in the sub final.

2. Is there any contingency for a school, due to a crackerbox, tiny, gym, simply cannot manage large crowds? (Most AD's would say up front they can't host if their gym is too small or can't manage a large crowd if the sub is loaded with four 18 wins teams)

3. If said school insists on hosting would there be any contingency to ensure that tickets were equally distributed between the participating schools? (Doubt it.)

4. Why was it not decided to just allow the higher seed to host each game? Seems stupid, on a lot of levels, to have a 4/5 travel to #1, for a 1 game event. Especially in the far West. You could quite possibly have the two furthest travel an hour, or more, to play in front of a very sparse crowd. (The high seed does host each game.)

I do like having the high seed host subs. I think that is deserved by the high seed, but if they get knocked out, it should go to a neutral site. Like the Hersey and Imperial example last year, that should have been played in Ogallala if OG had an opening.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
So, in the lower classes the #4 hosts the bunny bracket? If not you could have had Hershey/Imperial (Let's say 2, 3 win teams) drive to Chadron for the 4/5 game? I can live with the higher seed hosting (although with our system will never say it was "earned") but would make more sense to have #2 host #3 as well (and 4 host 5 by extension) Just for the gate, if nothing else. I think I remember when two omaha schools were supposed to travel to Kearney or NP and just arranged for a site in Omaha. I think. Also if #1 gets bumped, hasn't #2 "earned" a home game? Especially if #4/5 is 8 miles away and, #2 100? Thanks for the answers! But I do NOT believe, for a second, that all, or maybe even most, AD's would be upfront about that. :) Either through wanting an advantage or not understanding what was coming their way.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
So, in the lower classes the #4 hosts the bunny bracket? If not you could have had Hershey/Imperial (Let's say 2, 3 win teams) drive to Chadron for the 4/5 game? I can live with the higher seed hosting (although with our system will never say it was "earned") but would make more sense to have #2 host #3 as well (and 4 host 5 by extension) Just for the gate, if nothing else. I think I remember when two omaha schools were supposed to travel to Kearney or NP and just arranged for a site in Omaha. I think. Also if #1 gets bumped, hasn't #2 "earned" a home game? Especially if #4/5 is 8 miles away and, #2 100? Thanks for the answers! But I do NOT believe, for a second, that all, or maybe even most, AD's would be upfront about that. :) Either through wanting an advantage or not understanding what was coming their way.
I always forget about the bunny brackets. I think it depends? I know last year in C1, Scotus played Lakeview in the 4/5 game and it was at Leigh.

I don't think the capacity issue is that big of a deal in most cases. Most Class C gyms are accommodating to crowds that size. Class D is different, but I still think most gyms could handle the crowds for those games. Again, it depends on the situation.

Last year in D2 Friend (16-8) played BDS (16-9) in Davenport in a sub final. I wonder what the crowd was like for that.

Also in D2, HSF played Parkview Christian at Osceola, both teams had 18 wins.

I would never be opposed to the higher seed hosting no matter what but with regard to the subs, would there be any issues with time constraints, officials, volunteers, etc.? Is that too quick of a turn around? I'm also good with keeping the sub at it's "normal" rules/parameters as the compromise to have higher seeds in the district final host the game no matter the distances. I think having the 180 mile rule is a bit dopey. I think you should have all higher seeds host the district final or have all of the games at neutral sites. The idea that the #1 or #2 seed could be on the road at neutral site and then the #3-#8 seeds could be hosting a game is odd to me.

I agree that if the #1 loses, then the highest remaining seed could host from there on out.

The only downside of doing this is that the host may not know they are the host until the day before the game. I don't know how that looks for all schools, but for some that isn't enough notice to put together a staff to handle the game (concessions, gate, janitorial, scorer's table, etc.). I believe this is something that is manageable.

I would never be opposed to the higher seed hosting no matter what but with regard to the subs, would there be any issues with time constraints, officials, volunteers, etc.? Is that too quick of a turn around? I'm also good with keeping the sub at it's "normal" rules/parameters as the compromise to have higher seeds in the district final host the game no matter the distances. I think having the 180 mile rule is a bit dopey. I think you should have all higher seeds host the district final or have all of the games at neutral sites. The idea that the #1 or #2 seed could be on the road at neutral site and then the #3-#8 seeds could be hosting a game is odd to me.
Agreed. Either have them all at neutral sites (would love to see double and triple headers at one site). Or the high seed needs to host. The 180 mile rule needs to go away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT