ADVERTISEMENT

District final traveling protocol

180 miles for C1-D2. High seed hosts in A and B.

I wouldn’t hate it if NSAA schools voted to eliminate the neutral sites and let the high seed host. Teams west of Cozad pretty much have no chance of hosting unless they get a western team as their draw. Like Leyton drawing Paxton and Bridgeport drawing Gordon-Rushville.

OR if you keep neutral sites, there should be more of a joint effort to have double headers. For a basketball fan, being able to go to two games in a row would be great.

Reactions: Hardwoodbeaver
180 miles for C1-D2. High seed hosts in A and B.

I wouldn’t hate it if NSAA schools voted to eliminate the neutral sites and let the high seed host. Teams west of Cozad pretty much have no chance of hosting unless they get a western team as their draw. Like Leyton drawing Paxton and Bridgeport drawing Gordon-Rushville.

OR if you keep neutral sites, there should be more of a joint effort to have double headers. For a basketball fan, being able to go to two games in a row would be great.
The elimination of 180 mile rule was voted on and agreed upon by all districts this year. It should be passed by the board and in effect next year. That was a proposal in one of the previous threads on proposals.

It needs to be all or none. And the artificial, aribitrary 180 is silly. Massive difference between Bloomfiled to Ansley (174) and Henderson to North Platte (170) It's about 45 minutes slower to do the first...if you don't get behind a tractor or 7... And, while your getting off my lawn, quit calling them "districts"...it sound ridiculous. If you insist on dragging kids all over the state, for no good reason, on a school night, at least call them sub-state or something. Maybe the "Global Warming" or "taxpayer funded" round? :cool:

Agreed on district finals at neutral sites, both teams have done their jobs to get there, should be an equal playing field in a district final....absolutely agree!!!!!

It needs to be all or none. And the artificial, aribitrary 180 is silly. Massive difference between Bloomfiled to Ansley (174) and Henderson to North Platte (170) It's about 45 minutes slower to do the first...if you don't get behind a tractor or 7... And, while your getting off my lawn, quit calling them "districts"...it sound ridiculous. If you insist on dragging kids all over the state, for no good reason, on a school night, at least call them sub-state or something. Maybe the "Global Warming" or "taxpayer funded" round? :cool:
District finals aren't on a school night unless both schools agree to it for classes C1-D2. Call it what you like I guess, I do agree sub-state may be more appropriate. It is funny to me how different states call the similar rounds different things.

Agreed on district finals at neutral sites, both teams have done their jobs to get there, should be an equal playing field in a district final....absolutely agree!!!!!
Those of you in favor of neutral sites, go talk to people who put events on. Total pain in the butt, which is why ADs voted to move away from that format. It's just hard in smaller schools to get workers for the event when your team is playing at a different location.

I'm split on this one. I feel like on one side...you've earned the right to host a district final/sub-state/whatever game you want to call it in your own gym by playing well all season long and winning up to this point.
On the flip side of it there's usually not much disparity between the #8 and #9 seeds, #7 and #10 seeds, or even the #6 and #11 seeds, so I feel like those should be played at neutral locations. So if you're going to do it for some, do it for all of them.
The one issue I have is this game is supposed to be a great atmosphere, big crowds, loud fans, lines of people outside the building waiting to get in...and St. Mary's is going to host a district final game??? If you haven't been to St. Mary's gym, I will help explain it to you...I don't think St Mary's people even like their gym. It's small, crowded, no room on the sidelines or baselines. You're going to host a district final game in a gym that has 4 rows of seating for bleachers, plus maybe 100 more total people that can fit on the stage?
The games for state are all played in neutral gyms that are big...just make the district final follow suit and do the same.

I'm split on this one. I feel like on one side...you've earned the right to host a district final/sub-state/whatever game you want to call it in your own gym by playing well all season long and winning up to this point.
On the flip side of it there's usually not much disparity between the #8 and #9 seeds, #7 and #10 seeds, or even the #6 and #11 seeds, so I feel like those should be played at neutral locations. So if you're going to do it for some, do it for all of them.
The one issue I have is this game is supposed to be a great atmosphere, big crowds, loud fans, lines of people outside the building waiting to get in...and St. Mary's is going to host a district final game??? If you haven't been to St. Mary's gym, I will help explain it to you...I don't think St Mary's people even like their gym. It's small, crowded, no room on the sidelines or baselines. You're going to host a district final game in a gym that has 4 rows of seating for bleachers, plus maybe 100 more total people that can fit on the stage?
The games for state are all played in neutral gyms that are big...just make the district final follow suit and do the same.
Maybe minimum requirements need to added to hosting and if you dont meet these minimum requirements you must find a neutral site

Reactions: GoBigBlob
My preference is Neutral Site for Sub State or District Finals (whatever the term is).

My requirement would be that all games must be played on a regulation size court with adequate fan seating.

Non Regulation courts are a huge advantage for a home team.

Reactions: GoBigBlob
There is no reason the district finals should be at a neutral site. It doesn't make sense. Imagine the first round of the state football playoffs (round of 16) being played at neutral sites. It would never happen. Why? Because the #1 seed has earned the right to play at home. The #16 seed has not earned the right to have any input as to where their game is.

Last edited:
Reactions: northeastNebraska
There is no reason the district finals should be at a neutral site. It doesn't make sense. Imagine the first round of the state football playoffs (round of 16) being played at neutral sites. It would never happen. Why? Becuase the #1 seed has earned the right to play at home. The #16 seed has not earned the right to have any input as to where their game is.
I agree with the highest seed hosting but I also agree with minimum requirements and a regulation court is a must and seating by class should be determined
PS it is called District Final

There is no reason the district finals should be at a neutral site. It doesn't make sense. Imagine the first round of the state football playoffs (round of 16) being played at neutral sites. It would never happen. Why? Becuase the #1 seed has earned the right to play at home. The #16 seed has not earned the right to have any input as to where their game is.
That’s why I come back to I’m fine with the high seed hosting. High seed deserves it.

Reactions: hailvictors2
I’m a high seed believer, but if it was all neutral sites let’s do them all day long at one of the many colleges throughout the state. An all day event like heartland hoops. Would be great for basketball fans, and probably the media.
That’s the only way I’d be for neutral sites, but if we haven’t gotten to that point yet, we won’t IMO.

I’m a high seed believer, but if it was all neutral sites let’s do them all day long at one of the many colleges throughout the state. An all day event like heartland hoops. Would be great for basketball fans, and probably the media.
I like it. Treat it like the NCAA tournament where you have designated regional sites and the higher seed in the matchup gets less travel. Would be fun to have intermixing of classes at one of those locations.

Again, I'm for high seed hosting, I think that is the way moving forward.

BUT I worked on this last night. While logistically, this would be very hard to pull off (unless these sites were booked every year). If we could have had sites set for the 32 girls substate games, with the higher seeds getting to play closer to home, we could have something like this...

(Top 4 seeds in C1 are Lincoln Christian, Sidney, GICC, Bridgeport
Top 4 seeds in C2 are Crofton, Yutan, Elmwood-Murdock, Bayard
Top 4 seeds in D1 are Pender, GACC, Southern Valley, Johnson-Brock
Top 4 seeds in D2 are Overton, Sacred Heart, Wynot, Howells-Dodge)

Play four games a day. Have two sessions.

Play at Western Nebraska CC in Scottsbluff
#2 Sidney vs #15 Platteview (C1)
#4 Bridgeport vs #13 Gordon-Rushville (C1)
#4 Bayard vs #13 Niobrara/Vedigre (C2)
#6 Leyton vs #11 Paxton (D2)

Play at MidPlains CC in North Platte
#5 Minden vs #12 Milford (C1)
#5 Sandhills/Thedford vs #12 High Plains (D2)
#6 Broken Bow vs #11 Battle Creek (C1)
#7 Gothenburg vs #10 North Bend (C1)

Play at UNK
#1 Overton vs #16 Lawrence-Nelson (D2)
#3 Southern Valley vs #14 Amherst (D1)
#8 Shelton vs #9 HSF (D2)
#8 Adams Central vs #9 Arlington (C1)

Play at Heartland Event Center in Grand Island
#3 GICC vs #14 West Point-Beemer (C1)
#5 St. Mary's vs #12 SEM (D1)
#6 Hastings St. Cecilia vs Clarkson/Leigh (C2)
#7 Centura vs #10 Summerland (D1)

Play at CCC in Columbus
#4 Howells-Dodge vs #13 Parkview Christian (D2)
#5 Cross County vs #12 Superior (C2)
#6 McCool Junction vs #11 Alma (D1)
#8 EPPJ vs #9 Maywood-HC (D1)

Play at Northeast CC in Norfolk
#1 Crofton vs #16 Ord (C2)
#1 Pender vs #16 Sandy Creek (D1)
#3 Wynot vs #14 Crawford (D2)
#7 Plainview vs #10 Wilcox-Hildreth (D2)

Play at Midland University in Fremont
#6 Bishop Neumann vs #11 Norfolk Catholic (C2)
#2 Yutan vs #15 Thayer Central (C2)
#2 GACC vs #15 South Platte (D1)
#8 Oakland-Craig vs #9 Freeman (C2)

Play at Southeast CC in Lincoln
#1 Lincoln Christian vs #16 DC West (C1)
#2 Falls City Sacred Heart vs #15 Dundy County (D2)
#3 Elmwood-Murdock vs #14 Ainsworth (C2)
#4 Johnson-Brock vs #13 Bancroft-Rosalie (D1)

Reactions: saluno22

BUT I worked on this last night. While logistically, this would be very hard to pull off (unless these sites were booked every year). If we could have had sites set for the 32 girls substate games, with the higher seeds getting to play closer to home, we could have something like this...

Play at UNK

Play at CCC in Columbus

It always looks great on paper, and it would be a ton of fun for the general fan.
As an FYI,
  • UNK will not (and possibly can not due to recruiting rules) host a high school game.
  • Midland kicked the East Husker Conference out of having MU host their conference tournament 3 years after signing a 10 year contract, as it led to conflicts with their scheduling.
  • Who is the host at Heartland Events Center? When they play the Heartland Hoops Classic there it's GICC
The Community Colleges may be willing to host, and could possibly be worked out over a few days. Most of the NAIA schools won't host, as it's the end of their regular season as well. And again I regress back to when neutral site schools were the hosts, and the ADs have chosen the higher seed hosts, in part because it's difficult to find a host site. Most communities in 2024 aren't overly interested in hosting an event while their school is possibly playing in a different community.

It always looks great on paper, and it would be a ton of fun for the general fan.
As an FYI,
  • UNK will not (and possibly can not due to recruiting rules) host a high school game.
  • Midland kicked the East Husker Conference out of having MU host their conference tournament 3 years after signing a 10 year contract, as it led to conflicts with their scheduling.
  • Who is the host at Heartland Events Center? When they play the Heartland Hoops Classic there it's GICC
The Community Colleges may be willing to host, and could possibly be worked out over a few days. Most of the NAIA schools won't host, as it's the end of their regular season as well. And again I regress back to when neutral site schools were the hosts, and the ADs have chosen the higher seed hosts, in part because it's difficult to find a host site. Most communities in 2024 aren't overly interested in hosting an event while their school is possibly playing in a different community.
Totally agree. I like the looks of it on paper like a mini March Madness, but it would never pass and would be too difficult to pull off.

Maybe you could get the area Class A schools to host them, but even that would be hard to find a willing host. That's a huge reason why I feel like they will move to high seed hosting. The high seed will find people to work it.

As an FYI,
T

Play at UNK

Play at CCC in Columbus

looks great on paper, would these be the sites each year, because you can not get most of these if not all on a weeks notice

As an FYI,
WSC is the site of a holiday tournament, Lewis & Clark Finals, hosts regular season games time to time, & has hosted district finals. Pretty sure NCAA schools can host. But scheduling/availability are the issues since the college season is still going.

Colleges are allowed to host games. So UNK's reasoning of it being a recruiting violation must have forgotten that they host the 6 man state championship along with the shrine bowl year after year after year? Also Memorial Stadium hosting the A-D2 football championships, PBA hosting state basketball, the Bob hosting state volleyball, etc. Colleges host many high school games: WSC hosts a lot of games, Northeast CC in Norfolk hosts games as well. I'm sure Hastings and Chadron State have hosted as well, but don't quote me on that. The issue is that it becomes a logistical issue with their seasons not following the NSAA calender, as they do their own scheduling at the collegiate level it becomes challenging to try to schedule games in those facilities year after year. But I honestly don't see why they couldn't work it in for a Friday/Saturday night district final game.

Something I wish that the NSAA would have member schools do is list somewhere if they would be willing to host a neutral site contest prior to the beginning of each school year. (This may already be done, but I don't think so?) This way when two schools are scrambling to find a neutral site on such a short notice, they would have a list of schools that they would be able to immediately contact to see if they could put something together. I feel like this would streamline the process just a little bit if we are going to continue to use neutral sites.

Colleges are allowed to host games. So UNK's reasoning of it being a recruiting violation must have forgotten that they host the 6 man state championship along with the shrine bowl year after year after year? Also Memorial Stadium hosting the A-D2 football championships, PBA hosting state basketball, the Bob hosting state volleyball, etc. Colleges host many high school games: WSC hosts a lot of games, Northeast CC in Norfolk hosts games as well. I'm sure Hastings and Chadron State have hosted as well, but don't quote me on that. The issue is that it becomes a logistical issue with their seasons not following the NSAA calender, as they do their own scheduling at the collegiate level it becomes challenging to try to schedule games in those facilities year after year. But I honestly don't see why they couldn't work it in for a Friday/Saturday night district final game.
Each sport has different rules, and each college level has different rules...and I said possibly...as in questioning it a bit. I had forgotten that Wayne hosts several hoops games. I know that some people have asked to play at UNK and been told 'No'.

Hastings College does host an earlier event on occasion. Possibly district finals too. It's likely more about the end of their seasons being at the same time. Possibly similar to state baseball getting moved out of Haymarket Park because UNL wanted that time for home game scheduling.

Something I wish that the NSAA would have member schools do is list somewhere if they would be willing to host a neutral site contest prior to the beginning of each school year. (This may already be done, but I don't think so?) This way when two schools are scrambling to find a neutral site on such a short notice, they would have a list of schools that they would be able to immediately contact to see if they could put something together. I feel like this would streamline the process just a little bit if we are going to continue to use neutral sites.
Saying what your willing to host for the year in August may not be true in October or February....

Reactions: Yossarian23
Always going to be something.
I'm just saying. A buddy had to scramble like heck to find a district final volleyball host a few years ago. They called a school who has hosted several times. They didn't want to host...Halloween...and their team played an hour and a half away.

I'm sure that scenario can happen some....where a school didn't know they'd be in a final and then they are. I know in the old days schools would have to 'apply to host' before the start of the season.

Another buddy worked at a school that hosted a lot....then their booster club and staff asked if they could stop hosting every year...still host but far less often, as they struggled getting help.

I'm just saying. A buddy had to scramble like heck to find a district final volleyball host a few years ago. They called a school who has hosted several times. They didn't want to host...Halloween...and their team played an hour and a half away.

I'm sure that scenario can happen some....where a school didn't know they'd be in a final and then they are. I know in the old days schools would have to 'apply to host' before the start of the season.

Another buddy worked at a school that hosted a lot....then their booster club and staff asked if they could stop hosting every year...still host but far less often, as they struggled getting help.
So what does the Host School get out of Hosting a District Final?

Do they get the gate?
Concessions?
Do they pay Officials?
Do their score table people get paid?

I guess I am wondering what is in it for a Neutral Site School if they do host?

Do they get the gate?
Concessions?
Do they pay Officials?

Host school gets a small portion of the gate, and all of the concessions. Officials are paid by the schools but that cost is deducted from the gate. Any workers that host school are paid by the host school.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
Host school gets a small portion of the gate, and all of the concessions. Officials are paid by the schools but that cost is deducted from the gate. Any workers that host school are paid by the host school.
Thank you. I just never knew exactly how that worked. I figured that the host school got something.

I can see how a District Final that is geographical could be a good income opportunity for a school organization like FFA or FBLA. However, I can also see some of these games being somewhat sparsely attended if the teams are traveling a significant distance.

Probably another good argument for a team playing in the game to host.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
With subdistricts being created by geography, having high seed host the district final makes sense. When you have 3 teams in the top 10 in one sub, it makes sense to reward the higher seeded team. If the subs were serpentined to spread out the top teams, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. Also finding a home for neutral site district finals would be tough unless they are at sites like mentioned prior. That would require some real planning and someone to be a host for each site. Doubt the NSAA wants to add that to their plate. Who knows, maybe it would help them raise some funds to restore the look of the district plaques, they look cheap in their after their recent change.

Do they get the gate?
Concessions?
Do they pay Officials?

Financial Arrangements
1. Officials.
2. Host school allowance--$50.00.
3. 10% of gross receipts to NSAA for catastrophic insurance.
4. 25% gross receipts to host school.
5. 25% gross receipts to NSAA.
6. Visiting schools' expenses--$1.70 per mile one-way.
7. Bonus.
a. 15% to host.
b. 10% to NSAA.
c. 75% to participating schools

So, if your gate is $6000...
$210 for officials
$50 Allowance (Host)
$600 to NSAA-insurance
$1500 Host
$1500 NSAA
Each School (Using 50 miles each) $85 (x2)
Bonus=$1970
$295.50 Host
$197 NSAA
$738.75 each school
Total take:
Each school gets $823.75
NSAA gets $2297
Host School gets $1845.50 + Concessions, etc

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT