ADVERTISEMENT

Football Does Mitchell get the 1 seed in C2?

Does Mitchell get the 1 seed in C2?

• Yes

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

northeastNebraska

All-State
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2008
Highway 30
Mitchell is currently at the top of Class C2 in Powerpoints at 44.800 as of 9-26-22. When is the last time a team that far west (or even west of North Platte) had the #1 seed in C2 or C1 going into the playoffs?

Their remaining games are against 0-5 Alliance (C1), Chase County (3-2), @ Valentine (3-2), and Gordon-Rushville (2-3).

-Alliance won't affect their points because they already as low as a team can be with 43 points.
-Chase County probably will stay Division 3, maybe if they sneak one they can get to 5-4. They play Hershey this week, but end with @ Mitchell, @ Wood River and Valentine.
-Valentine will probably finish Division 2 if they get two more wins, (they play Gordon this week and 1-4 Hershey after that)
-GR should finish Division 3 as well if they get one more win.

Right behind them is Hastings St. Cecilia, who hasn't played a great schedule either. They do still play 4-1 Fillmore and 4-1 Wood River. But will either of those teams be Division 1 teams by the end of the year?

Norfolk Catholic is third. They will have at least two division 1 teams in Ord and a combo of Cedar or BC. NC still has Battle Creek and Cedar Catholic. Those three teams will beat up each other in a way, but if NC keeps winning, they may get the #1 spot.

Mitchell is currently at the top of Class C2 in Powerpoints at 44.800 as of 9-26-22. When is the last time a team that far west (or even west of North Platte) had the #1 seed in C2 or C1 going into the playoffs?

Their remaining games are against 0-5 Alliance (C1), Chase County (3-2), @ Valentine (3-2), and Gordon-Rushville (2-3).

-Alliance won't affect their points because they already as low as a team can be with 43 points.
-Chase County probably will stay Division 3, maybe if they sneak one they can get to 5-4. They play Hershey this week, but end with @ Mitchell, @ Wood River and Valentine.
-Valentine will probably finish Division 2 if they get two more wins, (they play Gordon this week and 1-4 Hershey after that)

Right behind them is Hastings St. Cecilia, who hasn't played a great schedule either. They do still play 4-1 Fillmore and 4-1 Wood River. But will either of those teams be Division 1 teams by the end of the year?

Norfolk Catholic is third. They will have at least two division 1 teams in Ord and a combo of Cedar or BC. NC still has Battle Creek and Cedar Catholic. Those three teams will beat up each other in a way, but if NC keeps winning, they may get the #1 spot.
Not much anyone can do, when there just isn't enough teams in the west to see if there is anyone good

Not much anyone can do, when there just isn't enough teams in the west to see if there is anyone good
To be 9-0 is not easy. I'm not doubting their legitimacy. Granted, do I think they'd beat 9-0 with Norfolk Catholic's schedule? No.

It's just interesting the #1 seed may be a school that is 20 miles from Wyoming.

To be 9-0 is not easy. I'm not doubting their legitimacy. Granted, do I think they'd beat 9-0 with Norfolk Catholic's schedule? No.

It's just interesting the #1 seed may be a school that is 20 miles from Wyoming.
Like I said there is no system perfect that can cover such extreme conditions as the west has with C1 or C2

Sure there is. Make them play Scottsbluff rather than Gering or Alliance.

Why is it that Scottsbluff doesn't ever have to be in that rotation of B schools that get to be on the western C1 schools schedules.

Edit: Forgot Alliance is C1 now.

I'd be shocked if Scottsbluff had any interest in playing a C1 school. It is rare that cross class games happen unless both teams request them.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Sure there is. Make them play Scottsbluff rather than Gering or Alliance.

Why is it that Scottsbluff doesn't ever have to be in that rotation of B schools that get to be on the western C1 schools schedules.

Edit: Forgot Alliance is C1 now.
you want C2 to play a B to prove themselfs. ??? is that what you are saying ??

Ok. You're right. I'll concede. I'm thinking of the older ways when Mitchell was C1.

2 classes is a lot.

Bonus points are dumb. 8 power points extra just because there is no one else to play out there. How in the flying heck is that even remotely fair to the schools that are on the bubble but don't get the same benefit.

Ok. You're right. I'll concede. I'm thinking of the older ways when Mitchell was C1.

2 classes is a lot.

Bonus points are dumb. 8 power points extra just because there is no one else to play out there. How in the flying heck is that even remotely fair to the schools that are on the bubble but don't get the same benefit.
Mitchell did play a class B school this year, but it was an out of state game. So maybe not the big 2 class jump that it would be in Nebraska. I think the NSAA looks at the other states and converts their classifications to ours based on whether they are in the biggest, 2nd biggest, 3rd biggest, etc... They probably SHOULD use that school's enrollment number and then place that team in C2, C1, B, A based on that.

EX: If Wyoming as a team that has an enrollment number of 153 and for whatever reason that puts them in the 2nd largest classification in Wyoming, NSAA calls that B. They would really be C1 here.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
I was legitimately going to make a post about this.

This is why bonus points are dumb.
Bonus points aren't any worse than anything else in the point system. The NSAA'S entire point system is borderline ridiculous. A LOT of teams don't deserve the division they are in. But it's also a case in point why home field isn't always "deserved". That's why i never get my panties in a bunch over the system of alternating hosts.

Mitchell did play a class B school this year, but it was an out of state game. So maybe not the big 2 class jump that it would be in Nebraska. I think the NSAA looks at the other states and converts their classifications to ours based on whether they are in the biggest, 2nd biggest, 3rd biggest, etc... They probably SHOULD use that school's enrollment number and then place that team in C2, C1, B, A based on that.

EX: If Wyoming as a team that has an enrollment number of 153 and for whatever reason that puts them in the 2nd largest classification in Wyoming, NSAA calls that B. They would really be C1 here.
I'm pretty sure they DO use enrollment. Just some states don't use 9-11 as posted enrollment. The Wyoming number, I'm pretty sure is 9-12.

Reactions: saluno22
A few thoughts on the point system:
1- If we are giving bonus points for playing up a classification, you should get bonus points for playing a team that should be in a larger classification but opted down to a lower classification.

2- Right now in football the NSAA uses the following records as division cut offs in the 9 game schedule
0-9, 1-8, 2-7 level 4, 41 for beating them, 27 for losing to them
3-6, 4-5, level 3, 44 for beating them, 30 for losing to them
5-4, 6-3, level 2, 47 for beating them, 33 for losing to them
7-2, 8-1, 9-0, level 1, 50 for beating them, 36 for losing to them.

I think a team should only be able to move into a level if they have beaten a team in that level. EX: You are 5-4 but your 5 wins are over teams that went 0-9, 1-8, 1-8, 3-6, and 4-5....you count as a level 3 team, not a level 2 team. If one of your wins was over a team that was 5-4, then you get to count as a level 2 team.

I think this is what they do too. I think they place out-of-state teams in "Nebraska classes" based on how their enrollment would fit into Nebraska's system
Taken from the Football manual

8. The points accrued for the qualifying and seeding of entries shall terminate at the end of the regular season of competition. a. Out-of-state varsity teams will be converted to the Nebraska classification based on the same year enrollment figures obtained from that State’s Activities Association. b. Only regular season games of out-of-state teams will be used to calculate the point average. c. If another State’s playoffs begin prior to the end of the eighth or ninth week, those playoff results will not count in the point system for the Nebraska teams.
9. Classification of Out-of-State Schools for Wild Card Consideration: When determining the classification of an out-of-state school for wild card purposes, if the school’s three-grade enrollment is less than the lowest enrollment in a particular class, the out-of-state school shall be classified in the immediate lower class. The enrollment of Nebraska schools opting up to play in a higher class will not be considered when comparing out-of-state schools for classification purposes.

1- If we are giving bonus points for playing up a classification, you should get bonus points for playing a team that should be in a larger classification but opted down to a lower classification.

2- Right now in football the NSAA uses the following records as division cut offs in the 9 game schedule

I think a team should only be able to move into a level if they have beaten a team in that level. EX: You are 5-4 but your 5 wins are over teams that went 0-9, 1-8, 1-8, 3-6, and 4-5....you count as a level 3 team, not a level 2 team. If one of your wins was over a team that was 5-4, then you get to count as a level 2 team.
If you're going to do that, I think you should remove the head-to-head result when determining the record for how your opponents' divisions established.

Example: 6-2 Team A beats 4-4 Team B. Now 7-2 Team A would use 4-4 (Div 2) for 4-5 Team B, who would use 6-2 (still Div 1) for Team A. Using divisions as they are for other sports are Div 4 <0.250, Div 3 >=0.250 and <0.500, Div 2 >=0.500 and <0.750, and Div 1 >=0.750; they oversimplify it for football because there are a fixed number of games.

Frankly I think they should do this anyway: remove the impact of your own game when determining the "strength" of your opponent.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
Bonus points aren't any worse than anything else in the point system. The NSAA'S entire point system is borderline ridiculous. A LOT of teams don't deserve the division they are in. But it's also a case in point why home field isn't always "deserved". That's why i never get my panties in a bunch over the system of alternating hosts.
This...prove it on the field. We've argued about this for years and the system isn't perfect.

Fillmore Central is a decent team. Lost to Wilber/Clatonia by a touchdown. WC was missing there starting QB. Wood River should be no problem for HSC.

For what it's worth there was a terrible accident at Chase County involving a school bus and a semi. It was elementary kids and I know life flights were had.

Wonder if they still play on Friday or not. Terrible, Terrible news and I hope all injuries were not fatal as I have not heard one way or another. Prayers to the community of Chase County

• Sad
Reactions: hailvictors2

No chance you should get bonus points for playing Schuyler if you are a c-1 or c-2 school. Everyone would want to play them

A lot to like in this. While I loathe the points system, you're spot on for #1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT