ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln Football

Sep 22, 2015
Is football in Lincoln starting to fall behind? Southeast is the only Lincoln school to play in a championship in the past ten years. What do other people think?

The simple answer might be that the athletes in Lincoln are not quite as good as the one's in Omaha. Seems like since Lincoln opened Southwest and Northstar that the schools in Lincoln have had more trouble winning titles in football and boys basketball.

The Millard schools picking up steam the last 10 years hasn't helped Lincoln schools.

It all goes in cycles, LSE was supposed to be decent this year but they have ad players suspended.

Is football in Lincoln starting to fall behind? Southeast is the only Lincoln school to play in a championship in the past ten years. What do other people think?
The student/athlete population has be so diluted with the additions of LSW and LNS in the last 10-15 years, smaller pool to pick from and directly correlates to decline of the programs. Just my opinion. But I will say, once OPS re-instated FB at the middle school level, some programs have improved.

For goodness sakes. You have to ask that? Lincoln Public School Football ceased really when North beat defending State Champion Knights at Kinnick in playoffs in 2013. LSE could not have had more than 200 people there. That reflects the spirit of a city as well as a school. The city is certainly big enough to compete with Omaha Schools but take it on the chin from GI as well .
My thought is that when Omaha builds its two new public high schools in 2017-19 is that OPS will close Benson to sports and keep it as an academy.
When and if that happens. You will see diluted enrollments in OPS and FB will balance out with Lincoln schools back in the hunt. I would love to see Lincoln High back as power. No Nebraska High School has ever had a sniff of the Glory LHS has had in its many years. Playing Lane Tech at Wrigley. In the twenties ? Nope no one in this state comes even close.

I don't get why this is a suprise to anyone. No middle school football and poor "club" football options usually doesn't translate to success. If LPS wants to find success in its athletics (not just football) they need to invest in the middle school programs. The LPS schools would hardly be competitive against the Omaha Class B schools if we are being brutally honest

I have seen all Lincoln public school teams at least one time this year. Last week I watched the LSW vs. Millard North game at Seacrest. I'm not sure Lincoln Public Schools could put together an all-star team that would beat MN. It could be the spreading out of talent but I'm more inclined to say it is lack of good football at the lower levels.

I think Lincoln is the only school district in the state that does not have football in the middle schools. Also I don't know what OPS does for other sports but LPS middle school sports is a joke.

Lincoln too, but it could be done. Wasn't just on the news that LPS has an extra 10mil it voted to keep instead of giving back to the community?

There is a chance that no Lincoln team will make the playoffs this year. If that happens I don't think that is good for class A football. Something has to change.

There is a chance that no Lincoln team will make the playoffs this year. If that happens I don't think that is good for class A football. Something has to change.

Why do you think something HAS TO change? LPS has made a choice to not make football its priority. They don't fund youth football and spend money like misers in the wt. rooms.
What do you think the results will be? Let'em do what they want.

Your right it doesn't HAVE TO CHANGE but come on, you think its good for football in Nebraska to have your second largest city not to have competitive football teams. The more good teams in the state make for better football. The better the football the more interest from fans.

You're right, I'm all for a more interesting high school football landscape in Nebraska. But until LPS leadership changes, it's not going to happen.

Maybe some of it is coaches I know chuck miser ski and frank solicit were as good as they get

Lincoln Your answer resides in your LPS School Board. You get a vote. Find out what these folks place in priority. Take OPS in the seventies You could not find any type of Athletic Trophy in the hallways of any 8 of the high schools School Board was playing down sports If we went to Lincoln to watch an Omaha Team play the LPS schools glistened with trophies. Now at least at North you have to walk through a mini Cooperstown to get to your seat. Same elsewhere in OPS NEW school board members and Bill Danenhauer did that along with bringing back tackle FB in middle schools What a switch in the seventies nobody beat East High or SE
Frankly those two schools do not compete on a high level right now. You need to get back onboard. We miss you. ( sorta)

I really think the success of O North in the last 10 years has blown life into programs that thought they could not compete. Now Schools like Lincoln High, South, ONW, North Star are saying " crap if North can do THAT why cant we" I think Norfolk is an example of that.

Last edited:
Maybe some of it is coaches I know chuck miser ski and frank solicit were as good as they get

Coaching is so important. What football coach worth anything wants to step into a job where there's no support from leadership to improve the strength & conditioning program? Not to mention, diluted talent & no good youth football programs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT