ADVERTISEMENT

Football NSAA changes location of State Championship Games

Alum-Ni

All-State
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004
NSAA confirms it. Highest remaining seed will host state title games in Classes A thru D2 next Friday. Schools will work on kickoff times on their own. 6-man will remain in Kearney as scheduled

NSAA Executive Director Jay Bellar told The World-Herald that the rental cost for Memorial Stadium could not be justified given attendance restrictions from the Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department. That agency, he said, also preferred not having people from 12 communities in town for the finals.

He said initially the health department decided each of the six games planned for the stadium on Nov. 23 and 24 could have 1,000 fans per team, but that amount was put in doubt by Gov. Pete Ricketts’ announcement Friday that high school and college sports may have to drastically curtail attendance amid higher COVID-19 numbers.

Memorial Stadium has hosted the state football playoff finals since 1996. Before that, the championship games were played at home sites.

I think it's lame because there might be some facilities that can't handle a finals crowd.

If the fields can handle the crowds last night I'm confident they will be just fine next week. The finals were held at home sites for many years and all eye balls that wanted to watch were able to see the field. Keep in mind that attendance is surely lower because of covid concerns for some.

As far as Shickley goes, how far maximum do people have to walk? A half mile? I think it will all work out just fine.

Do you have a better solution that can realistically be accomplished? All ears if you do. Remember it takes two to dance.

Wouldn't think walking distance would be much of a concern considering the walk a person has to make just getting to a seat in Memorial Stadium even if dropped off at entrance gate.
As for parking in Shickley there are couple lots west across the spur from the football field that are used as well as parking on street for couple blocks south of football field. Biggest concern in Shickley is the actual parking along the spur into town. When the game is over it can be a hassle departing because of people walking on the spur. And some golf carts have been used in the past to help people get to and from cars. Also guessing game is in Shickley because they rotate play off games evenly.

This is not the NSAAs call either. Being here in Lincoln, the DHM are all from the Lancaster County Health Department. Being that the hospitals are over max capacity, this comes at no surprise. I’m surprised these games are even being played with fans. Lincoln...definitely not the best place to host at the current time. Not trying to start a Covid debate, simply elaborating on the decision that was made. Everyone have a safe weekend and enjoy the games!

I think it's lame because there might be some facilities that can't handle a finals crowd.

Regular finals crowds won't be allowed in. My guess is just the family of the players, as they did for state basketball and volleyball. I don't know that for sure, but if you are trying to respect the COVID situation going on, there is no way superintendents are going to open those games to anyone on a Friday night.

It's all good......just be glad the games are getting to be played. All in all, it's been a successful season considering the circumstances.

A few things I heard:

• The cost was a factor as we know renting Memorial and then have Lancaster County limit it to really no fans at all potentially. Normally the Class A game draws between 6,000 and 8,000 and the B game 3,000 to 5,000. If they capped it at 500, that's a pretty big hit for the NSAA.
  • There is also a concern waiting until the following week on Monday-Tuesday before Thanksgiving, who heck knows where numbers will be locally. ADs just want to get these games in and having large groups of people all traveling to Lincoln from 12 different communities/schools doesn't make a lot of sense right now.
  • I expect the NSAA to put something out by tomorrow with their plans for these games. I am fairly confident the Class A game will be on TV, so fingers crossed. It's a tough situation for all to figure this out on the fly. I truly do think the Lincoln DHM was the domino that really moved this. With limited to no fans, the NSAA cannot afford to take that kind of hit by renting the stadium for two days.
  • I am going to be very curious what happens to December HS basketball games. The feel I get in Lincoln is they won't be playing games until January. I don't know how you can if you don't start practice for three weeks. I could see the HAC Tournament or something like that being the first games Lincoln schools play. Will other HAC schools follow Lincoln on this? Will OPS follow? Burke and North aren't even in the building this week due to COVID spread, so I am fairly certain they can't even open winter sports practices.

There is also a concern waiting until the following week on Monday-Tuesday before Thanksgiving, who heck knows where numbers will be locally. ADs just want to get these games in and having large groups of people all traveling to Lincoln from 12 different communities/schools doesn't make a lot of sense right now.

Spot on. The sense I get is that the schools, ADs, the NSAA, basically everyone involved just want to get past next Friday with the games being played. Who attends, how many attend, parking in Shickley, etc is the least of their worries. Just stay healthy and get the games in. We've come so close on this crazy season, a season that many states never played. Fingers crossed 14 teams play 7 games later this week.

Food for thought. We've hit over 11 million cases nationwide. The last million cases took 6 days. Yes, that's right one million cases nationwide in 6 days. The upper Midwest, especially the Dakotas, Iowa, Nebraska, etc...are seeing huge spikes. Multiple school buildings are beginning to shut down in my area. The state football championship games are on a race against the clock. Basketball season I'm afraid will come to a screeching hault for most in the next couple of weeks unless these trends hit their peaks and reverse downwards quickly. Not trying to sound crazy, just realistic how big data and trends work.

Regular finals crowds won't be allowed in. My guess is just the family of the players, as they did for state basketball and volleyball. I don't know that for sure, but if you are trying to respect the COVID situation going on, there is no way superintendents are going to open those games to anyone on a Friday night.

I think you'll see most of these games have fairly regular crowds, similar the semifinal round

Spot on. The sense I get is that the schools, ADs, the NSAA, basically everyone involved just want to get past next Friday with the games being played. Who attends, how many attend, parking in Shickley, etc is the least of their worries. Just stay healthy and get the games in. We've come so close on this crazy season, a season that many states never played. Fingers crossed 14 teams play 7 games later this week.

Food for thought. We've hit over 11 million cases nationwide. The last million cases took 6 days. Yes, that's right one million cases nationwide in 6 days. The upper Midwest, especially the Dakotas, Iowa, Nebraska, etc...are seeing huge spikes. Multiple school buildings are beginning to shut down in my area. The state football championship games are on a race against the clock. Basketball season I'm afraid will come to a screeching hault for most in the next couple of weeks unless these trends hit their peaks and reverse downwards quickly. Not trying to sound crazy, just realistic how big data and trends work.

I'll be curious if NSAA ends up pausing all December competition for winter sports. Better question, can they do that? Or is it a school district's decision?

I'll be curious if NSAA ends up pausing all December competition for winter sports. Better question, can they do that? Or is it a school district's decision?
I personally think they should leave it up to the school district and local health departments. Not every community is getting hit as hard as some communities are getting hit.

Maybe I have missed it somewhere, but has the NSAA announced if schools will be allowed to broadcast through Stiv or youtube any of the games for free because of the limitations? I'm guessing thats going to be a solid no but with circumstances and the games normally aired on television maybe they would allow the schools to broadcast.

I'm sure hoping the finals are broadcast. I watched a couple of the semi-finals on the NFHS Network on Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT