ADVERTISEMENT

Official State Basketball Schedule

MacMan92

Gold Member
Nov 30, 2010
The official State Basketball schedule will not be released until Thursday, March 3rd. Because several schools qualified both their boys and girls teams and those teams are in different classes (HCC boys C-2 and Girls D-1, HLHF Boys C-2 Girls D-1, GICC Boys C-2 Girls C-1 and Shelton Boys D-2 Girls D-1) it is causing issues with the original plan set forth by the NSAA.

I don't know what exactly you expect the NSAA to do. They are making the best of a bad situation; it isn't like they asked UNL to host B1G wrestling. It's not like they can extend State Basketball another week - at that point, you would have actual competitions happening in spring sports.

It is still missing game times for C1 and D1. My question is why girls and boys games were ever scheduled on the same day? What was wrong with Boys Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Girls Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday? If I'm missing something please explain otherwise why overcomplicate things?

Reactions: FalconAlum07
It is still missing game times for C1 and D1. My question is why girls and boys games were ever scheduled on the same day? What was wrong with Boys Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Girls Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday? If I'm missing something please explain otherwise why overcomplicate things?
This was my question, too. If the boys all play on one day and the girls all play on the next it eliminates the possibility that a school would be scheduled to play at the same time. There is probably an obvious flaw to that schedule, but I am too ignorant to know what it is.

This was my question, too. If the boys all play on one day and the girls all play on the next it eliminates the possibility that a school would be scheduled to play at the same time. There is probably an obvious flaw to that schedule, but I am too ignorant to know what it is.
I am with you here. There has to be a reason that they didn't run Boys and Girls on separate days. Again, I have no idea what the reason would be.

As soon as the reason is explained, I am certain that I will quietly shake my head because I didn't see it.

Having girls and boys state BB at the same time is a mess. Wish they would have kept the girls tournament this weekend and just moved it out of Lincoln.

Reactions: ftball95
I don't know what exactly you expect the NSAA to do. They are making the best of a bad situation; it isn't like they asked UNL to host B1G wrestling. It's not like they can extend State Basketball another week - at that point, you would have actual competitions happening in spring sports.

Not sure they made the BEST of a bad situation. They fixed the major problem but did not come up with the BEST solution to the bad situation they were dealt. Putting boys and girls games on the same day and making teams play Monday Wednesday Friday or Tuesday Thursday Saturday was unnecessary.

Reactions: ftball95
From a story about the schedule on NebPreps:

Unique Opportunity: NSAA Ready For One Week State Tourney Run
by Tony Chapman, NebPreps

It was in October 2020 that NSAA basketball assistant director Jon Dolliver got the news: the University of Nebraska would be hosting the 2022 Big Ten Wrestling Tournament.

The news that mattered to him was simple. The dates would be March 4-6, the Friday and Saturday that is traditionally on the calendar for the girls state basketball tournament.

"Almost immediately, we started putting ideas on the table of what we could do, but the biggest thing we kept coming back to was keeping the integrity of the tournament," Dolliver said on Tuesday.

Many ideas were put on the table.

Having the girls tournament at the same normal date, but at a separate site was quickly extinguished as they wanted finals at Pinnacle Bank Arena.

Another idea that was discussed was having the opening round on March 4 (girls) and March 5 (boys) at six separate sites across the state. Then, bringing the teams together for semifinals and finals in Lincoln on March 9-12. Again, the integrity of keeping all the games in Lincoln for the teams and schools weighed heavily on tabling this option.

So, Dolliver kept coming back to a one week tournament all in Lincoln that they could get to look as close to each of the previous tournaments as possible.

"The idea was simply to try and get a fair and equitable tournament both based on classes and when they have traditionally played and also to be fair to each gender," Dolliver noted.

This quickly eliminated another option -- having the girls tournament the first three days or having girls and boys on alternating days.

"We really liked the idea of balancing our championships -- three boys and three girls on each day," Dolliver said. "So we worked out those championships and worked backwards from there."

The result is what you'll get over the next few days as brackets are released and the schedules are set. And, while you'll see times on the NSAA website for games, some will be left blank while timing is completed.

So, Dolliver has a little flexibility with game times for a school like Grand Island Central Catholic and possibly Shelton if their boys win tonight. Both teams would play on the same days based on schedules. Other schools that qualified two teams are set to play on different days already.

"We will discuss those games and try to disrupt the bracket as little as possible," he said. "But we also want fans to be able to get to both games for their school and allow them plenty of time to do that."

It's been since 2019 when there was a traditional two week run for Dolliver in basketball. In 2020, the boys tournament was one of the last events in the nation that survived COVID-19. Last year, also due to COVID protocols, the tournaments were spread over five days each.

Dolliver believes the 2022 tournament has a chance to be different in a good kind of way.

"We think this is a real unique opportunity to do something different with the event," he said. "We know that we may have to deal with it again at some point down the road and we will get to see what works and what doesn't."

"I think from a player and coach perspective, the rest will help the quality of basketball. I think the fans will see good basketball and some that maybe don't come to the girls or boys tournament get a chance to see both."

Official brackets for the girls will be released Wednesday morning with the boys to follow on Thursday after Class A boys districts are completed Wednesday night.

If it’s a one year deal who cares about trying to play when they traditionally played? It seems the effort to keep a traditional schedule superseded basic logic.

Given the recent lawsuit in Bennington...was there a fear of backlash if all girls finals are on Friday and boys are on Saturday due to the girls getting the "lesser" day? And if it's vice versa, is there a backlash to the ones that likely draw the bigger crowd (I'm assuming, I don't actually know that boys outdraw girls) on Friday vs. Saturday?

When all this was announced, I wondered how much the worry about fairness would drive the timing of it all.

I have no clue if that was a factor, just an assumption on my part.

Given the recent lawsuit in Bennington...was there a fear of backlash if all girls finals are on Friday and boys are on Saturday due to the girls getting the "lesser" day? And if it's vice versa, is there a backlash to the ones that likely draw the bigger crowd (I'm assuming, I don't actually know that boys outdraw girls) on Friday vs. Saturday?

When all this was announced, I wondered how much the worry about fairness would drive the timing of it all.

I have no clue if that was a factor, just an assumption on my part.
What was the lawsuit in Bennington about?

What was the lawsuit in Bennington about?

Some of what was brought up I can get (practice times, uniforms, etc.) but I thought the original article I read went so far as to question why boys always played last on a marathon basketball night, or things like that.

In searching for a link I saw it was settled.

Reactions: Alum-Ni
Some of what was brought up I can get (practice times, uniforms, etc.) but I thought the original article I read went so far as to question why boys always played last on a marathon basketball night, or things like that.

In searching for a link I saw it was settled.

I do remember the case now....thx

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT