ADVERTISEMENT

Question for NSAA

hailvictors2

All-District
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2009
Memorial Stadium and Pinnacle Bank Arena are both college venues that are set up to collegiate regulation size floors, goals, and fields.

For state basketball the NSAA modifies the floor at PBA by putting a white three point arc up because the high school 3 point line is different than the college. An easy modification that is certainly necessary to make the floor true to what HS kids play in all year.

Why isn't a similar adjustment made to the goal posts at Memorial Stadium? College uprights are something like 12" more narrow than HS. Why doesn't the NSAA bring in portable goalposts so the football kids can play on a normal field like the basketball kids play on a normal floor. Might not seem like a big deal to some....tell that to Valentine. In 2006 the uprights decided the state title game between Auburn-Valentine when Valentines PAT struck the upright in the 2nd OT.

It would be very easy to get portable goal posts set up.

Reactions: nenebskers
Of course you will have to take down the goal posts that are normally there and then install the high school goal posts. I don't think there is enough room behind the endzone for two sets of goal posts.

Those goalposts come down in a matter of seconds. Colleges do it all the time after big wins..... unfortunately Nebraska doesn't have much practice with that lately

They might come down in a matter of seconds, but you will have to take them out of the ground as well or put up a wider cross bar with uprights attached.

obviously it must be much more difficult then just taking them down and putting new ones up. highschools across the state play at sites with college size goals, ie wayne, Kearney, peru just to name three and nobody ever says a word about it then so it must not be that big of deal. kick it thru the middle and it isn't going to be a problem. there I solved the issue.

obviously it must be much more difficult then just taking them down and putting new ones up. highschools across the state play at sites with college size goals, ie wayne, Kearney, peru just to name three and nobody ever says a word about it then so it must not be that big of deal. kick it thru the middle and it isn't going to be a problem. there I solved the issue.
It isn't difficult. I have literally done it. The fact high schools across the state play on college fields is irrelevant to my question. I'm asking why the NSAA is not providing a regulation size field with regulation size goals/uprights for all sports. By your logic we should leave the 3 point line alone and tell the kids to shoot it better? That's unrealistic man. I agree, it would be great if high school kickers would kick it down the middle....but they shouldn't be penalized for kicking it outside of the college uprights but inside the high school uprights. That would be like saying a basket is no good because it hit the rim. Either the NSAA is too cheap to pony up the money to bring in portables (likely) or the NSAA is too lazy to change the posts out.

I just don't think it's that easy to install new goal posts. South Dakota plays their high school championship games at USD and they don't change the goal posts.

Opie just has a bone to pick with NSAA for some unknown reason. Both teams have to kick through same size goal posts so how does that make it unfair?

Reactions: runningback43
I'm not saying it is unfair. I don't think it is unfair at all. I'm genuinely curious why the NSAA makes sure that the basketball floor/court stays the same as the high school regulation but they don't do the same for football when it could easily be accommodated. I don't think that is asking much.

How many 3-point shots taken at Pinnacle during the state BB tournament? A few hundred would you say?

How many field goals are attempted at Memorial Stadium during state FB finals? 10 tops.

There's your answer.

How many 3-point shots taken at Pinnacle during the state BB tournament? A few hundred would you say?

How many field goals are attempted at Memorial Stadium during state FB finals? 10 tops.

There's your answer.
That's a valid point. There are probably 8-10 kicks attempted per 11 man game (pat/fg) and less in 8 man because those teams typically go for 2.

I agree with the point you are making.

I wanted to point out that the college basketball court is NOT the same as the high school basketball court.

College courts are 94' long, and high school are 84'. While this may seem like a minor difference, it isn't. Depending upon a teams syle of play, the court size can be a big difference maker. Teams that live and die in a half court 1-3-1 trap will have difficulty on the larger court. Teams that have a slow methodical press break have more real estate to get to the half court line.

I believe that all Sub-District, District, and State Tournament games should be played on a HIGH SCHOOL court. I also believe that all Football games should be played on a HIGH SCHOOL football field.

Just my opinion.

I agree with the point you are making.

I wanted to point out that the college basketball court is NOT the same as the high school basketball court.

College courts are 94' long, and high school are 84'. While this may seem like a minor difference, it isn't. Depending upon a teams syle of play, the court size can be a big difference maker. Teams that live and die in a half court 1-3-1 trap will have difficulty on the larger court. Teams that have a slow methodical press break have more real estate to get to the half court line.

I believe that all Sub-District, District, and State Tournament games should be played on a HIGH SCHOOL court. I also believe that all Football games should be played on a HIGH SCHOOL football field.

Just my opinion.
I didn't know the courts were different. I guess I based my thoughts on the old scene in Hoosiers where they measure the lane and height of the basket. Now that I think of it I don't think they ever measure the length of the floor.

More and more high schools have 94 foot floors now. 84 foot is the recommended length of high school basketball courts, but it's not the rule of thumb. Most of the new gyms built in the last 20 years have 94 foot floors. There wasn't a game played at the state tournament that wasn't on a 94 foot floor.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
More and more high schools have 94 foot floors now. 84 foot is the recommended length of high school basketball courts, but it's not the rule of thumb. Most of the new gyms built in the last 20 years have 94 foot floors. There wasn't a game played at the state tournament that wasn't on a 94 foot floor.

Skutt and Omaha Gross both had 84 foot floors, and I'm sure Mount Michael does too. It was so much harder to get fast break points on the 84 foot floors vs. 94 foot floors. The original poster is right, huge difference if you play on 94 vs. 84. Within Omaha, I would think the ones I mentioned are the only ones I can remember. Not sure about Roncalli.

Reactions: hailvictors2
It's pretty easy to tell which courts are 94 and which are 84. The volleyball courts are all the same size in the gym. If the volleyball court intersects the free throw lane near the low block its 84, if it's near the free throw line it's 94. Been in several where it varies somewhere between for some odd reason.

Of the top 10 issues before the NSAA, frankly, this has to rank near #47. Honestly? They adjust where they can easily. 3 pt line, 8 man goal posts, etc. Where they can't? We deal with it. Not every "high school court" is the same. In older gyms, and smaller schools the court length (and perhaps width) can vary quite greatly. I even remember watching a game...not sure exactly where, IIRC I've seen it more than once, where you simply could not shoot a 3 from the sideline unless you wore toddler shoes. Maybe those gyms are all gone, not sure, but still the lengths vary. So if every schools gets to play on a replica of their own court... sheesh. A bigger problem if we are getting picky is changing from real turf to synthetic. They play different, ball bounces different, etc. Maybe passing teams can postpone if it's windy. Or we find a dome. Change light bulbs in the locker room? Maybe all district wrestling should be on exactly the same mats?

It's pretty easy to tell which courts are 94 and which are 84. The volleyball courts are all the same size in the gym. If the volleyball court intersects the free throw lane near the low block its 84, if it's near the free throw line it's 94. Been in several where it varies somewhere between for some odd reason.
Because even "official courts" can vary depending on architect's needs, financing, district requirements, things like that.

The uprights on the goal posts at Wayne State actually slide out for high school games, and then can be pushed back in for college games

Home field advantage through the State Semi Finals in football is absurd. Most of the fields in 8-man are dumps and no seating. playing in a pasture should not decide who wins or losses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT