Bayard 42, Leyton/Banner County (D2) 26
Burwell 42, North Central 0
Dundy County-Stratton 56, Perkins County 8
Elm Creek 21, Overton (D2) 0
Elmwood-Murdock 74, Johnson-Brock (D2) 42
Elwood (D2) 48, Arapahoe 8
Falls City Sacred Heart (D2) 56, Nebraska City Lourdes 18
Fullerton 34, Arcadia/Loup City 26
Garden County (D2) def. Kimball (score N/A)
Homer 52, Emerson-Hubbard (D2) 18
Howells-Dodge 42, Clarkson/Leigh (D2) 14
Laurel-Concord-Coleridge 32, Randolph (D2) 20
O'Neill St. Mary's (D2) 40, Boyd County 0
East Butler 30, Guardian Angels Central Catholic 20
Elkhorn Valley 56, Elgin/Elgin Pope John (D2) 26
Heartland 62, Giltner (D2) 8
Hemingford 36, Mullen (D2) 31
Humboldt-Table Rock-Steinauer 64, Pawnee City (D2) 12
Maxwell (D2) 66, Morrill 44
Nebraska Christian 44, Thayer Central 12
Nebraska Lutheran 26, Palmyra 23
Neligh-Oakdale 36, Clearwater/Orchard (D2) 22
Omaha Brownell-Talbot 72, Omaha Christian (D2) 44
Osceola/High Plains 50, Palmer 48
Pender (D2) 37, Winnebago 36
Pleasanton (D2) 45, Ansley/Litchfield 28
Ravenna 54, Amherst 10
Sandhills/Thedford (D2) 53, Ainsworth 30
Southern 54, Diller-Odell (D2) 8
Stuart (D2) 40, Niobrara/Verdigre 13
Sutherland 38, South Loup 34
Tri County 36, Exeter-Milligan/Friend 20
Wakefield 28, Creighton 22
Wauneta-Palisade (D2) 30, Hitchcock County 20
Weeping Water 90, Omaha Nation 6
Wisner-Pilger 32, Cross County 24

Bye Week
Atkinson West Holt (0-0)
Bruning-Davenport/Shickley (0-0)
Cambridge (0-0)
Lutheran High Northeast (0-0)
Madison (0-0)
Shelton (0-0)
Southwest (0-0)

CLASS D2
Allen 44, Cedar Bluffs 6
Alma (D1) 38, Bertrand 24
Axtell 28, Loomis 20
Bayard (D1) 42, Leyton/Banner County 26
Bloomfield 56, Winside 0
Blue Hill 46, Meridian 8
Brady 56, Paxton 0
Central Valley 56, Riverside 20
Elkhorn Valley (D1) 56, Elgin/Elgin Pope John 26
Elm Creek (D1) 21, Overton 0
Elmwood-Murdock (D1) 74, Johnson-Brock 42
Elwood 48, Arapahoe (D1) 8
Falls City Sacred Heart 56, Nebraska City Lourdes (D1) 18
Garden County def. Kimball (D1) (score N/A)
Heartland (D1) 62, Giltner 8
Hemingford (D1) 36, Mullen 31
Homer (D1) 52, Emerson-Hubbard 18
Howells-Dodge (D1) 42, Clarkson/Leigh 14
Humboldt-Table Rock-Steinauer (D1) 64, Pawnee City 12
Laurel-Concord-Coleridge (D1) 32, Randolph 20
Maxwell 66, Morrill (D1) 44
Mead 74, Parkview Christian 26
Neligh-Oakdale (D1) 36, Clearwater/Orchard 22
O'Neill St. Mary's 40, Boyd County (D1) 0
Omaha Brownell-Talbot (D1) 72, Omaha Christian 44
Osmond 38, Wausa 8
Pender 37, Winnebago (D1) 36
Plainview 42, Wynot 12
Pleasanton 45, Ansley/Litchfield (D1) 28
Sandhills/Thedford 53, Ainsworth (D1) 30
Southern (D1) 54, Diller-Odell 8
Stuart 40, Niobrara/Verdigre (D1) 13
Twin Loup 44, Anselmo-Merna 22
Wauneta-Palisade 30, Hitchcock County (D1) 20

Hartington-Newcastle at Chambers/Wheeler Central/Ewing was suspended due to lightning. The game will be completed on Sept. 20

Bye Week

Humphrey St. Francis (0-0)
Kenesaw (0-0)
Lawrence-Nelson (0-0)
Medicine Valley (0-0)

CLASS D6
Arthur County 58, Hyannis 25
Cody-Kilgore 54, McPherson County/Stapleton 12
Crawford 44, Edgemont (South Dakota) 18
Creek Valley 58, Eustis-Farnam 40
Dorchester 62, Walthill 13
Harvard 62, Spalding Academy 26
Humphrey/Lindsay Holy Family 71, Deshler 0
Maywood/Hayes Center 35, South Platte 19
McCool Junction 1, Hampton 0 (forfeit)
Potter-Dix 40, Hay Springs 0
Silver Lake 48, Lewiston 6
Sioux County 45, Minatare 6
Sterling 50, St. Edward 6
Sumner-Eddyville-Miller 1, Elba 0 (forfeit)
Wilcox-Hildreth 34, Red Cloud 20

Bye Week
Heartland Lutheran (0-0)
Santee (0-0)

Last edited:
I was just wondering how long until your post went up!
I’ll be at Boyd Co @ St. Mary’s on Thursday and Cedar Catholic hosting No. 1 BRLD on Friday.
In the words of Bart Scott, Can’t. Wait.

Officiating?

Absolutely not haha! Just a fan in the stands these days, I leave that up to the professionals i.e. Jimmy Bartee and Larry Wells

Reactions: Alum-Ni
Winside just can’t get it right. They’ve won 6 games since 2014. They have to seriously think about their future.

I think it was better than the final score. The coach seemed to be far more positive and the kids seem more motivated than the last couple times I've seen them. But even so.....they still have low numbers. I think 14 on the roster with one kid already injured.

Creighton falling to Wakefield is a huge upset. First regular season loss in 3 years I believe.

That is correct it is Creighton's first regular season loss in 3 years. That loss three years ago was to another ineligible team at the time Neligh-oakdale. Their last regular season loss to an eligible (playoff team) was 2012 to Elgin public- Pope John who won their 2nd straight title that year. Not making an excuse for Creighton losing a regular season game just pointing out a stat that I think is pretty impressive.

That is correct it is Creighton's first regular season loss in 3 years. That loss three years ago was to another ineligible team at the time Neligh-oakdale. Their last regular season loss to an eligible (playoff team) was 2012 to Elgin public- Pope John who won their 2nd straight title that year. Not making an excuse for Creighton losing a regular season game just pointing out a stat that I think is pretty impressive.
It is quite impressive. I was at the Neligh-Oakdale game and it was quite a beatdown. Really seemed to light a fire under them the next three years, as they barely let teams stay within 20 of them. And they definitely took out that aggression on Neligh the next year when they nearly put up 100 on em.

Garden County def. Kimball (score not available)

O'Neill def. Boone Central/Newman Grove 20-13

The Hartington-Newcastle vs. Chambers/Wheeler Central/Ewing game will be resumed on Sept. 20 with CWCE up 14-8 with 10:33 left in the third quarter.

Creighton falling to Wakefield is a huge upset. First regular season loss in 3 years I believe.
Seriously do not know why Wakefield has not been playing C2. They have a big OL and great backs. They would have made the playoffs multiple times in C2. This is the team that gave #2 ranked Lutheran High a loss last year and I would say looks good enough to do it again this year.

Seriously do not know why Wakefield has not been playing C2. They have a big OL and great backs. They would have made the playoffs multiple times in C2. This is the team that gave #2 ranked Lutheran High a loss last year and I would say looks good enough to do it again this year.
Agree. It’s ridiculous they’ve been opting down.

Opting down is about the dumbest thing the NSAA allows.

While I’m sure opting down is not always used for the right reasons (shame on the administration and coaches who take that path) to say it is “the dumbest thing the NSAA allows” is an overstatement to say the least.

In the current climate of declining participation numbers, opting down is the best way to ensure student athletes (who this is all for) are able to field teams and at times enjoy a modicum of success without fear of the embarrassment of forfeiture due to low numbers and the inevitable further decline in participation from the loss of kids placed in a position to have to play way before they ready.

Schools that make the decision to ignore the reality of their participation numbers and choose to try and limp through a season of 8 man with a roster of 12 which includes 6 freshman and forfeits 2-3 games are doing a much bigger disservice than any team that opts down.

Administration, coaches and parents who are honest about the situation they are in and choose to opt down are not taking advantage of what you call a “dumb” policy. They are simply being proactive and doing what is in the best interest of their athletes.

Until the NSAA and the schools make some logic based changes to the classification cutoffs for the lower classes, opting down will be the only path for schools to ensure they are able to field teams for an entire season.

Wakefield consistently suits less than 25 players, not healthy for an 11 man team that needs to build depth by having a JV schedule as well. Obviously JV games wouldn't be happening if they were 11 man.

I agree opting down should not be an option and Nebraska is one of only 5 states that allow it, Dumbest weakest crap ever

Please tell me how to address the participation issue? Should schools that see the writing on the wall and know they will not have the numbers to field a team in their current classification just accept it and cancel their seasons? Should they just hope nobody gets injured and force them to forfeit games? Ask the boys in Franklin and Wallace how that worked out.

Given our geography co-ops are not always a viable solution. I’ll say it again, if small school football is to continue, the opt down will be necessary until realistic classification numbers are put in place by the NSAA and their member schools.

It's the schools job to put their kids in the best situation to succeed. The boys that play football are only guaranteed 32 games in their careers in 8 man. If they have to opt down a class or drop to six man to make sure the kids get a chance to play then that's what they have to do. It doesnt matter what people from other towns think of their decisions. My kid has already lost 13 of his 32 games because of a school board and administrators that wouldn't listen and admit that we needed to change!

Please tell me how to address the participation issue? Should schools that see the writing on the wall and know they will not have the numbers to field a team in their current classification just accept it and cancel their seasons? Should they just hope nobody gets injured and force them to forfeit games? Ask the boys in Franklin and Wallace how that worked out.

Given our geography co-ops are not always a viable solution. I’ll say it again, if small school football is to continue, the opt down will be necessary until realistic classification numbers are put in place by the NSAA and their member schools.
Thats bull on the co-ops, who cant Truth they all can, play in your class or cancel football and pick up another sport or co-op

Hay Springs losing by 40 was a huge shock to me. Pre season reports said Hay Springs was going to field a strong team this year.

Why is a co-op not a viable solution to you? In most cases it gets teams by with geography. I understand that teams north of North Platte and in the panhandle it may not work. But most teams of east of Kearney can make it work. (I do definitely agree with you the classification numbers need to be examined again by NSAA member schools.

Current 6 man teams who have viable options within 20 miles:
Deshler-Thayer Central (10 miles)
Silver Lake-Blue Hill (15 miles)
Sterling-Freeman (8 miles)
Wilcox-Hildreth-Axtell (9 miles)
McCool Junction-Fillmore Central (15 miles) or York (9 miles)
Minatare-Bayard (14 miles)
Dorchester-EMF (9 miles to Friend)
Potter-Dix-Kimball (14 miles)
SEM-Amherst (20 miles)
Hampton-Heartland (12 miles)
Elba-St. Paul (11 miles)
St. Edward-Boone Central (12 miles)
St. Edward-Riverside (16 miles)
St. Edward-Twin River (12 miles)

Co-ops and consolidations help with participation numbers. The more kids to pick from, the larger your team will be.

Parents and coaches just have to help at making it work.

Why is a co-op not a viable solution to you? In most cases it gets teams by with geography. I understand that teams north of North Platte and in the panhandle it may not work. But most teams of east of Kearney can make it work. (I do definitely agree with you the classification numbers need to be examined again by NSAA member schools.

SEM-Amherst (20 miles)
Elba-St. Paul (11 miles)

Co-ops and consolidations help with participation numbers. The more kids to pick from, the larger your team will be.

This may start a new thread but how many people here have played during a consolidation.

Last edited:

SEM-Amherst (20 miles)
Elba-St. Paul (11 miles)

Maybe I should have replaced geography with politics and logistics as reasons for co-ops being difficult

I also agree that parents coaches need to help them to work but as I’m sure you well know these things can take a great deal of time. If opting down keeps a program going while the powers that be trudge along through the decision making process at least the student athletes (again, who all this is for) are not being punished for things which are out of their control.

SEM-Amherst (20 miles)
Elba-St. Paul (11 miles)

Keep in mind that a CO-OP has to be attractive to both schools. Amherst would like have 0 interest in a CO-OP with SEM. Absorbing SEMs numbers would bump Amherst up to C2 no doubt. That is probably true for several of the schools you listed. It is not the neighboring school districts responsibility to take in sinking programs.

SEM-Amherst (20 miles)
Elba-St. Paul (11 miles)

So your solution is just to get rid of 6-man football? If those schools can stay open and have the kids to play why do they need to co-op?

Being able to opt down is a freaking joke. Speaking as a person in a town (6-man) that you want to co-op, it's complete joke that teams like Humphrey-LHF, Walthill, Harvard, Wilcox-Hildreth get to play 6-man when they are 10+ kids over the limit. If the NSAA wants to allow that, shouldn't the teams that have to play them (through no scheduling fault of their own) get some sort of bonus points to level the playing field?

Reactions: northeastNebraska
So your solution is just to get rid of 6-man football? If those schools can stay open and have the kids to play why do they need to co-op?

Being able to opt down is a freaking joke. Speaking as a person in a town (6-man) that you want to co-op, it's complete joke that teams like Humphrey-LHF, Walthill, Harvard, Wilcox-Hildreth get to play 6-man when they are 10+ kids over the limit. If the NSAA wants to allow that, shouldn't the teams that have to play them (through no scheduling fault of their own) get some sort of bonus points to level the playing field?
I don’t want to get rid of 6 man football, I want change the numbers for 6 man and 8 man so opting down goes away.

I don’t have a problem with 6 man, I just don’t like seeing schools struggling to field teams when their is a town 10 miles over and they could be 8 man or 11 man.

Reactions: nenebskers

Allowing teams to opt down now makes one schools problem, a problem for many schools, Teams that play six man do so cause they have to, then Harvard who would be D1 opt down and a school with less kids in high school than Harvard has out for football now has to play them and gets crushed for it and could get an injury that cost them the rest of the season. The truth and reality is not always fun or fair or your school maybe not a school for football but allowing them to pick what they want now makes their problem a risk and problem for many others.

Allowing teams to opt down now makes one schools problem, a problem for many schools, Teams that play six man do so cause they have to, then Harvard who would be D1 opt down and a school with less kids in high school than Harvard has out for football now has to play them and gets crushed for it and could get an injury that cost them the rest of the season. The truth and reality is not always fun or fair or your school maybe not a school for football but allowing them to pick what they want now makes their problem a risk and problem for many others.
So you care about injuries and player safety of teams playing against opt down schools but not about player safety when teams are forced to play kids obviously not ready to field a team in their class? Playing both sides, u have repeated your opinion on opt down for years, everyone has heard it.

Reactions: runningback43
You stated that we would have made the play-offs multiple times in C-2. Please enlighten me on which years those were? I've been a Coach at the C-2 level in the meat grinder that is C-2 Northeast Nebraska Football. Would love to know which years I missed play-off opportunities. Also thank you for the compliment on my great backs, I do feel I have a great group of young men. As for my HUGE line that started the other night, it went (left to right by position) Left Tight End (165) / Left Guard (160) / Center (185) / Right Guard (240) / and Right Tight End (200). Not sure how that qualified as HUGE. I will note that my starting Left Guard was a back-up as my 220 lb. Senior that would have started there broke his hand.

I'm going to defend Coach Hassler. I know a little bit about C-2 football in northeast Nebraska. I'm pretty certain that Wakefield wouldn't have made the playoffs in C-2 since the NSAA went to 16 teams in the playoffs. They simply do not have the kids to compete at that level. I'm happy that Wakefield is having success again on the football field. Wakefield had some great teams 10 to 15 years ago.

You stated that we would have made the play-offs multiple times in C-2. Please enlighten me on which years those were? I've been a Coach at the C-2 level in the meat grinder that is C-2 Northeast Nebraska Football. Would love to know which years I missed play-off opportunities. Also thank you for the compliment on my great backs, I do feel I have a great group of young men. As for my HUGE line that started the other night, it went (left to right by position) Left Tight End (165) / Left Guard (160) / Center (185) / Right Guard (240) / and Right Tight End (200). Not sure how that qualified as HUGE. I will note that my starting Left Guard was a back-up as my 220 lb. Senior that would have started there broke his hand.
I’m not bitching about anything. I just wouldn’t want to play if there is nothing to play for in the end. Your players are well coached and always give 100%. I look for Wakefield to run the table.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT