ADVERTISEMENT

Other Sports Should we do away with district track meets?

Look states as close as Iowa have been using FAT since 2009 and your southern states have been doing even longer. Its time to advance your school or close it, if you and three other school districts can not afford to go in on a system, then that $5000 on a 4 million to at lowest 3 million dollar budget breaks the bank. Your school should close its doors

Try 10,000-15,000 for the FAT system. I am not against FAT. I'm totally in favor of it. Just too many facilities that don't have it.

By the way..... glad you are not on my school board. Close the doors?!?!

Reactions: NETrackFan
But the huge difference in runways, the direction they run, and the level of the pits do make a difference!
Exactly! Thanks for agreeing. Districts is where qualifying should happen. I know there are different sites, but all athletes at a district are on the same playing field with FAT and same runways, conditions, etc.

Reactions: Charger83
Exactly! Thanks for agreeing. Districts is where qualifying should happen. I know there are different sites, but all athletes at a district are on the same playing field with FAT and same runways, conditions, etc.

Good point

Try 10,000-15,000 for the FAT system. I am not against FAT. I'm totally in favor of it. Just too many facilities that don't have it.

I've heard $20k for a system....but I honestly don't know.

Reactions: NETrackFan
However there are nine districts held on the same day all around the state. And everyone here knows what spring weather in Nebraska is like...

A southeast district could have multiple pits for the jumps and be able to run them all with the wind, but a southwestern district might have different wind conditions or less pit direction options. It could be dead calm in the northeast but blustery in the panhandle so times get skewed that way.

For the record, I wouldn't get rid of Districts. The issue with districts is that you have nine locations around the state holding meets and the weather is (usually) wildly different at all of them. Also, the facilities themselves vary quite a bit. There is a very low chance that conditions will be uniform at all nine locations.

And to be fair, the point made earlier is correct about who will get to state. The top 6-10 (and perhaps more) athletes WILL get to state because they are that good. What we are debating is how do we fill the rest of the field to make an exciting, quality state meet.

Additionally I have to admit, I like the current format with how running events are qualified, my main issue is with field events.

Last edited:
As a track coach districts are finally correct. There are plenty of extra qualifiers and every district has electronic timing. I cant think of anybody that would place at state that did not qualify. I dont understand the injury argument if an athlete is injured and cant compete at districts it is doubtful they can compete at state one week later.

The field events it happens quite frequently IMO. Someone can end up 3rd due to a stacked district in that event, only a few inches off of the additional mark and not go, but that distance would have placed them in the top flight at state.

Just a passing thought. Didn't the FAT work wonderfully at the State Meet?????

About as well as the NCN television broadcast :).......from what I gather NCN's issue was an internet outage from CenturyLink.

I haven't heard what the timing issues were. Thought someone mentioned something about wireless signals with equipment.....

Yes I know, check your math 3 schools go in together, thats $5000 each

so what your saying at your school $5000 would break the bank, or your just cheap, what is it and please try to read the post before you comment, I said 3 schools at 5000

Having a FAT system is great. It is also as important that you have people who know how to run it.

Track districts are the oldest constant in Nebraska high school sports. The district system was adopted in 1946 and it is almost identical to the system today, except in the 40s and 50s, a site would often host a couple meets in one day. Columbus would host and A district and a C district. Of course, there were no girls races to run.

I can see the argument for timing-based qualification, but I do have three reservations.
1) access to the best meets at the best tracks which lead to better performances will not be equal
2) I'd like to see there still be district (true area meets) to crown those champions. It's always been a great measure of very good track teams (especially with depth) that state doesn't always reveal if the team does have the stars at top to compete there.
3) I worry a little that it erodes some of the 'team' feel.

Reactions: orafino
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT