#2 Hastings (32-4)
#7 Elkhorn (17-14)

========================

CLASS C
#1 Wahoo Neumann (30-2)
#8 Cozad (24-11)

#4 Yutan/Mead (27-5)
#5 Malcolm (23-9)

#3 Guardian Angels Central Catholic (22-7)
#6 Freeman (22-7)

#2 Hastings St. Cecilia (28-7)
#7 Kearney Catholic (29-6)

Go Freeman & Cozad. The only legitimate Class C schools in the bracket
hahahaha. How are the other teams not legitimate? Because they are parochial schools? If that is the case, check their enrollment figures and tell me where they aren't. Actually don't, I did the homwork for you.
Kearney Catholic--97
Cozad--88
Malcolm-82
Yutan/Mead-76
Neumann-70
HSC-54
GACC-41
Freeman-40

hahahaha. How are the other teams not legitimate? Because they are parochial schools? If that is the case, check their enrollment figures and tell me where they aren't. Actually don't, I did the homwork for you.
Kearney Catholic--97
Cozad--88
Malcolm-82
Yutan/Mead-76
Neumann-70
HSC-54
GACC-41
Freeman-40
By the way, cutoff for B-C is 103. Maybe get better, that's my thought.

Call me old school, but I like the players to be from the same zip code as the school. Not from the neighboring metro areas & then enroll at a C school. Your "get better" thought is right on point.

Call me old school, but I like the players to be from the same zip code as the school. Not from the neighboring metro areas & then enroll at a C school. Your "get better" thought is right on point.
Better take that up with the State then. it sure doesn't delegitimize a team because you don't like the idea of open enrollment. Must have gotten beat by a couple teams in the tournament to have those feelings.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Better take that up with the State then. it sure doesn't delegitimize a team because you don't like the idea of open enrollment. Must have gotten beat by a couple teams in the tournament to have those feelings.
Mine fared pretty well over the years. All while playing with the same girls they played tee ball with at 7 years old.

I don't have an issue with open enrollment. As long as it's for good reasons.

Mine fared pretty well over the years. All while playing with the same girls they played tee ball with at 7 years old.

I don't have an issue with open enrollment. As long as it's for good reasons.
So what would be a good reason? In your opinion?

So what would be a good reason? In your opinion?
Academic reasons. For example if a school offered programs that a student was interested in that their current one didn't offer. Also, if there was a hostile environment that needed to be gotten out of.
There are others, but sports isn't one. The culture of "the grass is greener" needs to stop. Get better, work harder, change the culture where you are, and be a leader, not a follower.

With a little research, one of the teams in the field appears to have 5-6 players that start who weren't on their roster last year. Maybe I'm wrong on that #, but seems a bit odd.

Just a question to your "maybe get better" statement. I apologize beforehand if I'm mistaken here.....but weren't you against teams playing opting down teams in football? If so, why? Or maybe the teams should just "get better" and beat the teams opting down - and btw, the teams opting down are playing with the same or less players.

Just a question to your "maybe get better" statement. I apologize beforehand if I'm mistaken here.....but weren't you against teams playing opting down teams in football? If so, why? Or maybe the teams should just "get better" and beat the teams opting down - and btw, the teams opting down are playing with the same or less players.
I am against opting down. You are in a different class for a reason. But for a person to come on here and say that 2 out of 8 teams in the state tournament for softball are legitimate, is just plain ignorant. Kids transfer all the time. How do you know those kids did not transfer for reasons outside of their power?

My problem with teams opting down is the implications it can lead to for teams that could go to the playoffs or win their district. There is no reason teams that are C-1 in every other sport are opting down to play 8 man football. Or teams who sit in the middle of the pack enrollment wise in C-2 and are opting down. If kids aren't going out for football, maybe there is a problem with the coaching, or the atmosphere in the school about football. Things that can be changed.

The get better statement refers to the fact that GACC and Freeman have 41 and 40, which is almost the flat bottom of C, yet they are in the state tournament. They spend countless hours in the summer getting better. They work hard, and it pays off.

Reactions: nenebskers
I am against opting down. You are in a different class for a reason. But for a person to come on here and say that 2 out of 8 teams in the state tournament for softball are legitimate, is just plain ignorant. Kids transfer all the time. How do you know those kids did not transfer for reasons outside of their power?

My problem with teams opting down is the implications it can lead to for teams that could go to the playoffs or win their district. There is no reason teams that are C-1 in every other sport are opting down to play 8 man football. Or teams who sit in the middle of the pack enrollment wise in C-2 and are opting down. If kids aren't going out for football, maybe there is a problem with the coaching, or the atmosphere in the school about football. Things that can be changed.

The get better statement refers to the fact that GACC and Freeman have 41 and 40, which is almost the flat bottom of C, yet they are in the state tournament. They spend countless hours in the summer getting better. They work hard, and it pays off.
Class D takes 60% of the teams to the playoffs, so teams aren't missing playoffs because of that 1 loss. It would be a combination of losses, plus they probably aren't good enough to make it if they aren't 1 of the 60% of teams getting in. I would suggest you take a stroll to one of the teams opting down and go look why they are opting down. Just because teams are opting down - doesn't always mean it's a coaching problem or atmosphere problem. I know of 1 coach that has invited anyone that wants to come visit their school to see what is going on. I would advise you to do so. I would present the same question to you about teams opting down as you do for kids transferring - how do you know the reasons for teams opting down? Don't be open minded on 1 topic and close minded on the other.

Reactions: MargotDeeper
Class D takes 60% of the teams to the playoffs, so teams aren't missing playoffs because of that 1 loss. It would be a combination of losses, plus they probably aren't good enough to make it if they aren't 1 of the 60% of teams getting in. I would suggest you take a stroll to one of the teams opting down and go look why they are opting down. Just because teams are opting down - doesn't always mean it's a coaching problem or atmosphere problem. I know of 1 coach that has invited anyone that wants to come visit their school to see what is going on. I would advise you to do so. I would present the same question to you about teams opting down as you do for kids transferring - how do you know the reasons for teams opting down? Don't be open minded on 1 topic and close minded on the other.
What you aren't getting is, look at how many kids are in the school and how many aren't going out. There is obviously a reason. it is not being open minded and closed minded. Seeding is determined by the teams you play and how they fair throughout the year. So a team opts down, loses all their games, that effects you in your points. Teams that are opting down 2 classes to play football is ridiculous. I grew up in a very small town with 2 schools. Both school fielded 11 man teams. One was more successful because they had more of a selection of boys that went out. They had an atmosphere of winning and their coach was the reason behind that. Using Wakefield for example, when Justin Brown was there, everyone wanted to be out. They were successful and he was a class act coach. Using the idea of free and reduced lunch, ESL and any other excuse doesn't justify it. 68.8% of students in the state of Nebraska, Public and Private schools, are on free and reduced lunch.

As far as class D taking 60% of their teams to the playoffs, that is an absolute joke. That needs to be changed. It should be just like all other classes, all though class B currently takes 16 of 24 teams to the playoffs.

What you aren't getting is, look at how many kids are in the school and how many aren't going out. There is obviously a reason. it is not being open minded and closed minded. Seeding is determined by the teams you play and how they fair throughout the year. So a team opts down, loses all their games, that effects you in your points. Teams that are opting down 2 classes to play football is ridiculous. I grew up in a very small town with 2 schools. Both school fielded 11 man teams. One was more successful because they had more of a selection of boys that went out. They had an atmosphere of winning and their coach was the reason behind that. Using Wakefield for example, when Justin Brown was there, everyone wanted to be out. They were successful and he was a class act coach. Using the idea of free and reduced lunch, ESL and any other excuse doesn't justify it. 68.8% of students in the state of Nebraska, Public and Private schools, are on free and reduced lunch.

As far as class D taking 60% of their teams to the playoffs, that is an absolute joke. That needs to be changed. It should be just like all other classes, all though class B currently takes 16 of 24 teams to the playoffs.
I'll also use Wakefield as an example - go look at what's going on there. It will open your eyes on why teams like that are opting down. If you choose not to go visit or at least look into the situation - it's because you don't want to see the truth.

4-6 kids teaming up & transferring to a smaller school may be "outside of their power", but an entire school changing demographics, culture, and socioeconomics can be changed.... got it, thanks!

Talk to people from Malcolm or Freeman...yes they both get option enroll kids....guess what, most have been there for years before high school, because you can't get into those schools as a high schooler due to class caps. Many of the kids are opt in to those schools because their family wants them in a smaller school and is not a fan of LPS or Norris (Freeman).

The other schools are parochial, except one, and the parochial discussion has taken place so many times I fall asleep reading the arguments. Oh, and that one other public school with a retooled roster. Sounds like those are softball only kids who won't help the school in other areas, but we aren't in that community to truly know.

I'll also use Wakefield as an example - go look at what's going on there. It will open your eyes on why teams like that are opting down. If you choose not to go visit or at least look into the situation - it's because you don't want to see the truth.
I grew up in a community very similar to Wakefield, have taught and coached in a community similar to Wakefield, so I understand.

4-6 kids teaming up & transferring to a smaller school may be "outside of their power", but an entire school changing demographics, culture, and socioeconomics can be changed.... got it, thanks
4-6 kids teaming up & transferring to a smaller school may be "outside of their power", but an entire school changing demographics, culture, and socioeconomics can be changed.... got it, thanks!
You are twisting what I am saying. Wakefield for example, again, has had those demographics and socioeconomics for over 15 years. So again, come back with something that would make some sense. Look into Lexington, Homer, Native American Schools. Walthill for example, they chose to play 8 man because their enrollment fell into that category, but they had 14 kids out. They are currently taking their beatings, but I have not heard one person from that town complain about it. Just keep making excuses. That's whats wrong with so many programs, parents, and kids. Always someone there to bail them out.

Like running to a Class C softball program when you may not be the superstar at your original school? That may be the epitome of getting bailed out.

Like running to a Class C softball program when you may not be the superstar at your original school? That may be the epitome of getting bailed out.
you sound like a whiner. plain and simple. keep making excuses for why your team is not good. that way there is always someone to blame. I'm off this thread. Heading to watch some delegitimized class C state softball!

you sound like a whiner. plain and simple. keep making excuses for why your team is not good. that way there is always someone to blame. I'm off this thread. Heading to watch some delegitimized class C state softball!
See you there!
I'll make sure to tell my daughters that their teams weren't good. I have a feeling they'll likely show me their gold medals they won in Hastings playing with the girls they grew up with.

See you there!
I'll make sure to tell my daughters that their teams weren't good. I have a feeling they'll likely show me their gold medals they won in Hastings playing with the girls they grew up with.
Can't wait to see those gold medals. Make sure you post them!

See you there!
wait. what ?? so you are saying STC players playing class c ball in a city of 25 thousand and went to STC because of academic offerings that Hastings and Adams didnt have ?? please explain or are talking about how high school sports has become college, with kids leaving a school and transferring all over and teams change every year due to open enrollment that has nothing to do for academics the reason it was put in?

Reactions: Llama57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT