Mavric

All-District
Sep 2, 2007
I believe this should be the bracket:

# 1 - Centennial (9-0, 46.33)
#16 - Yutan (6-3, 41)

# 8 - Hershey (7-2, 42.22)
# 9 - St. Paul (7-2, 42.22)

# 5 - Hartington Cedar Catholic (8-1, 43.78)
#12 - North Platte St. Patrick's (7-2, 41.56)

# 4 - Wilber-Clatonia (9-0, 44)
#13 - Sutton (6-3, 41.33)

# 3 - Battle Creek (7-2, 44.56)
#14 - Stanton (6-3, 41.33)

# 6 - Oakland-Craig (8-1, 43.44)
#11 - Doniphan-Trumbull (7-2, 41.56)

# 7 - Crofton (7-2, 42.89)
#10 - Central City (6-3, 42)

# 2 - Valentine (8-1, 44.89)
#15 - Cross County (6-3, 41.33)

FIRST FIVE OUT:
Lutheran High Northeast (5-4, 40.78)
Lincoln Lutheran (7-2, 40.78)
Hastings St. Cecilia (5-4, 39.11)
Freeman (5-4, 38.67)
Palmyra (5-4, 38.44)

How good is Hartington CC? Beat Battle Creek mid season but only beat Shelby by 12 early on then lost to Crofton later in year. Just don't know much about CC.

• Centennial (9-0), 46.3333
  • Valentine (8-1), 44.5556
  • Battle Creek (7-2), 44.2222
  • Wilber-Clatonia (9-0), 44.0000
  • Hartington Cedar Catholic (8-1), 43.4444
  • Oakland-Craig (8-1), 43.1111
  • Crofton (6-2), 42.3750
  • St. Paul (7-2), 41.8889
  • Hershey (7-2), 41.8889
  • Central City (6-3), 41.6667
  • Lutheran High Northeast (5-3), 41.3750
  • Sutton (6-3), 41.3333
  • North Platte St. Patrick's (7-2), 41.2222
  • Doniphan-Trumbull (7-2), 41.2222
  • Yutan (6-3), 41.0000
  • Stanton (6-3), 41.0000
  • Cross County (6-3), 41.0000
  • Lincoln Lutheran (7-2), 40.7778
  • Hastings St. Cecilia (5-4), 38.7778

• Centennial (9-0), 46.3333
  • Valentine (8-1), 44.5556
  • Battle Creek (7-2), 44.2222
  • Wilber-Clatonia (9-0), 44.0000
  • Hartington Cedar Catholic (8-1), 43.4444
  • Oakland-Craig (8-1), 43.1111
  • Crofton (6-2), 42.3750
  • St. Paul (7-2), 41.8889
  • Hershey (7-2), 41.8889
  • Central City (6-3), 41.6667
  • Lutheran High Northeast (5-3), 41.3750
  • Sutton (6-3), 41.3333
  • North Platte St. Patrick's (7-2), 41.2222
  • Doniphan-Trumbull (7-2), 41.2222
  • Yutan (6-3), 41.0000
  • Stanton (6-3), 41.0000
  • Cross County (6-3), 41.0000
  • Lincoln Lutheran (7-2), 40.7778
  • Hastings St. Cecilia (5-4), 38.7778

Missing Crofton/LHNE

2 Rematches of regular season games here. How would you like to be Centennial? Go 9-0 to get the #1 seed only to draw a team you beat in the regular season by 2 points. Or be Battle Creek and get the 3 seed to be matched up with a team that just beat you 8 days previous to when you play the second time.

Centennial has to be just shaking their heads............... 9-0 #1 Seed !!! Then, like you said, Yutan, who they only beat by 2. THEN, in round 2 - a team they only beat by 5 (St. Paul). What a draw for the number 1 seed. Oh, then probably WC (most likely the best team in C2) in the semis. What a tough draw.

Or, is C2 just that deep?

Outside of the favorites, (Wilber-Clatonia), you could make an argument for a lot of these teams winning a game or two in this bracket. This could be fun!!

Reactions: hailvictors2
No doubt that WC is a heavy favorite in the top half of the bracket. In the bottom half, I am going with Crofton.

First of all, I like how everyone has given up on Battle Creek after a loss to a Stanton team that has 3 losses, but could very well be undefeated, No one gives Valentine any credit, they have some good wins and St. Paul must be doing something right, after whipping central city. I think WC is favorite, they have 1 quality win, like I have said in other forums, they will most likely be healthy and not as beat up as teams in tougher districts

This year's bracket is wide open. Last year you had Aquinas who was never going to be touched and then Battle Creek, Oakland-Craig, Gibbon, and St Cecilia.....then the rest of the field. It was literally Aquinas and then the other 4 teams were fighting for the runner-up trophy.

This year I could see any of 8 or 9 teams winning it. Wilber is the clear favorite to me. Centennial is too young. Their youth will show in the playoffs as it always does to young kids. I will go on record and say Centennial will play for a state title in the next few years. I hope I'm wrong and they get to play for one this year.

Battle Creek-Stanton winner can make a deep run. Battle Creek has been absolutely allergic to Lincoln the last few years so I hope they are able to break through this year. Maybe they will now with a few losses and the pressure is off. Again...young kids and the mental side of things. Sometimes the losses are the best thing that can happen.

Bottom half of the bracket is interesting to me. Teams in the central part of the state don't see the power run game like is present in the NE part of the state and teams in the NE part of the state don't see the spread like teams in the central part of the state can run. Doniphan-Trumbull/Oakland-Craig and Central City-Crofton matchups are interesting to me for that reason.

C-2 is very balanced this year, but I think the overall quality is significantly lower than last year. It would be tough to argue that this year's Battle Creek and Oakland Craig teams are better than last years teams from Battle Creek and Oakland-Craig. Consider that those two teams are two of the favorites this year and I think my point is proven.

Stanton won tie breaker because they have played 3 division 1 teams and Sutton only 2, that tie breaker comes into play prior to opponents record

Yes. Stanton will be Wilber's toughest test so far this year by far. Stanton is battle tested and they'll knock Wilber around a little.
WC is the clear favorite in C2 this year, they are the most physical team and have played good opponents in the past. This is the same line that faced BC/NG, Central City and Scotus in C1 last year, I think they have played a relatively weak schedule, but have been tested in the past

How good is Hartington CC? Beat Battle Creek mid season but only beat Shelby by 12 early on then lost to Crofton later in year. Just don't know much about CC.
Hartington CC is your typical NE Nebraska team, well coached, physical and good backs, with some speed on outside. They are not too flashy, but very efficient. Dont sleep on them

WC is the clear favorite in C2 this year, they are the most physical team and have played good opponents in the past. This is the same line that faced BC/NG, Central City and Scotus in C1 last year, I think they have played a relatively weak schedule, but have been tested in the past
Oh I agree. I just wish they would have played a competitor in the regular season. Wilber will be tough, but Stanton is playing hot right now. I'm hoping to go to the game in Wilber.

Oh I agree. I just wish they would have played a competitor in the regular season. Wilber will be tough, but Stanton is playing hot right now. I'm hoping to go to the game in Wilber.
They played Yutan, which is very solid team, lost to BC by 6 and Centennial by two, must have outplayed them in 2nd half, WC was down at half, other than that not much competition, they got HSC at a good time.

They played Yutan, which is very solid team, lost to BC by 6 and Centennial by two, must have outplayed them in 2nd half, WC was down at half, other than that not much competition, they got HSC at a good time.

WC had some turnovers in the first half against Yutan so that's why they were down 1 at half. Sounded like WC got back to its usual play in the 2nd half and took care of them. Turnovers will do that to ya though so both teams will need to be sharp just as everyone in the playoffs!

I think C-2 is so wide open this year there are plenty 1st round matchups could go either way. Here are my thoughts on some of the games.

Yutan (5-3) at Centennial (9-0)-
I think Yutan could off the upset in this since they only lost to Centennial by 2 point earlier in the year. I see this game coming down to the wire and maybe an extra or double extra could be the diffrence. I am going say Centennial squeaks out the win 16 to 14.

North Platte St. Pat’s (7-2) at Hartington Cedar Catholic (8-1) I think NPSP is going to be surprised how big and physical HCC is up front . I think Cedar will win this game just playing power football and dominating up front on both sides of the ball. I am gonna say Cedar runs away with 35 to 14 Cedar.

Stanton (6-3) at. Wilber-Clatonia (9-0)

I think even though Wilber is the #1 team in the state in Class C-2 I think they are going in for a very tough and physical ball game against the Mustangs. Stallbaum the QB for Stanton has been playing some really good football the past couple of weeks. The key will be if Stanton can find away to move the football against that huge defensive line of Wilbers. I think Wilber probably find a way to win this game late 21 to 14.

Sutton (6-3) at Battle Creek (7-2)
I think if Sutton was 100% healthy I think they could give Battle Creek a tough game. I do think Sutton is pretty good at stopping the run so I think Sutton may be able to hang around for a half. I think the key for Battle Creek they need to find a way throw the football to open the run. I am gonna say Battle Creek scores a couple touchdowns late and wins 35 to 14.

No. 11 Doniphan-Trumbull (7-2) at No. 6 Oakland-Craig (8-1)
This will be a game that both teams bring totally different styles of game plans. Doniphan Trumbull will look to air out with their QB in Mazour and he will look to hit the deep ball with Prieffer and Johnson as his main wideouts but also have watch for the stud rb out of the backfield in Zescker who has also rushed for over 1,800 yards. O-C will try to just pound the footbball with the Smith kid. I think O-C needs their QB to be able to make some plays if they want to win this game. It could turn into a shootout if OC offense can find a way to get their passing game going. I am gonna say Doniphan gets big plays down the stretch and wins 35 to 27.

Central City (6-3) at Crofton (7-2) - This could one of the best games in C-2 on Friday night. I think it will be key for Central City to find a way to get their offense going right away after being shutout last week by Saint Paul. I think Crofton has a chance to make a deep run in the playoffs if they can get by CC. Alot of these kids from Crofton have been starting since they were sophomores. I think Crofton finds a way to win at home 21 to 14.

Cross County (6-3) at Valentine (8-1). Cross County comes into this game playing some pretty good football as of late. I think this is really a toss up game. I think Cross County has played alot tougher schedule then Valentine. I will admit Valentine has a really good defense and has also been beating everybody on their schedule pretty easy. I am going to say the Kelber kid from Valentine makes some big passes in the 4th and Valentine wins 28 to 21.

I think C-2 is so wide open this year there are plenty 1st round matchups could go either way. Here are my thoughts on some of the games.

Yutan (5-3) at Centennial (9-0)-
I think Yutan could off the upset in this since they only lost to Centennial by 2 point earlier in the year. I see this game coming down to the wire and maybe an extra or double extra could be the diffrence. I am going say Centennial squeaks out the win 16 to 14.

North Platte St. Pat’s (7-2) at Hartington Cedar Catholic (8-1) I think NPSP is going to be surprised how big and physical HCC is up front . I think Cedar will win this game just playing power football and dominating up front on both sides of the ball. I am gonna say Cedar runs away with 35 to 14 Cedar.

Stanton (6-3) at. Wilber-Clatonia (9-0)

I think even though Wilber is the #1 team in the state in Class C-2 I think they are going in for a very tough and physical ball game against the Mustangs. Stallbaum the QB for Stanton has been playing some really good football the past couple of weeks. The key will be if Stanton can find away to move the football against that huge defensive line of Wilbers. I think Wilber probably find a way to win this game late 21 to 14.

Sutton (6-3) at Battle Creek (7-2)
I think if Sutton was 100% healthy I think they could give Battle Creek a tough game. I do think Sutton is pretty good at stopping the run so I think Sutton may be able to hang around for a half. I think the key for Battle Creek they need to find a way throw the football to open the run. I am gonna say Battle Creek scores a couple touchdowns late and wins 35 to 14.

No. 11 Doniphan-Trumbull (7-2) at No. 6 Oakland-Craig (8-1)
This will be a game that both teams bring totally different styles of game plans. Doniphan Trumbull will look to air out with their QB in Mazour and he will look to hit the deep ball with Prieffer and Johnson as his main wideouts but also have watch for the stud rb out of the backfield in Zescker who has also rushed for over 1,800 yards. O-C will try to just pound the footbball with the Smith kid. I think O-C needs their QB to be able to make some plays if they want to win this game. It could turn into a shootout if OC offense can find a way to get their passing game going. I am gonna say Doniphan gets big plays down the stretch and wins 35 to 27.

Central City (6-3) at Crofton (7-2) - This could one of the best games in C-2 on Friday night. I think it will be key for Central City to find a way to get their offense going right away after being shutout last week by Saint Paul. I think Crofton has a chance to make a deep run in the playoffs if they can get by CC. Alot of these kids from Crofton have been starting since they were sophomores. I think Crofton finds a way to win at home 21 to 14.

Cross County (6-3) at Valentine (8-1). Cross County comes into this game playing some pretty good football as of late. I think this is really a toss up game. I think Cross County has played alot tougher schedule then Valentine. I will admit Valentine has a really good defense and has also been beating everybody on their schedule pretty easy. I am going to say the Kelber kid from Valentine makes some big passes in the 4th and Valentine wins 28 to 21.
Very good post!! I think Yutan upsets Centennial and Oakland Craig beats DT, The other upset I see happening is Cross County over Valentine. Overall, very even and will be fun to watch.

Just wondering because I havnt seen all of these teams this year, but do have a question. Those of you that have seen WC play and maybe Battle Creek, HCC, OC, is WC that much better up front than some of these other physical teams? I know they are just as big or bigger, but are they that much more dominant or has the schedule been easier??

Just wondering because I havnt seen all of these teams this year, but do have a question. Those of you that have seen WC play and maybe Battle Creek, HCC, OC, is WC that much better up front than some of these other physical teams? I know they are just as big or bigger, but are they that much more dominant or has the schedule been easier??

I definitely think it's a combination of both. Obviously their schedule makes them even more dominant this year, but what makes me feel they are legit is the fact that WC beat two quality opponents in the C1 playoffs last year in Central City and Boone Central. Not that their line dominated those games last year, but that was definitely a strong part of their game I would assume.

I did catch some of the St. Cecilia game this year (overrated I know), but WC's line was 3 yards downfield it seemed when their backs got to the line! Doesn't sound like that'll be the case against Stanton though.

As mentioned above, their impact on defense is huge. That Homolka (sp?) kid dominated St. Cecilia. Anyone know more about him?

St Paul-Hershey winner makes semis...just going to throw that out there. Those two teams are legit.

I wouldnt bet that, but you never know, the past 5 or 6 years the west has not been that good
What do you call "west"? Last year 2 of the best 5 teams in C-2 were Hastings St. Cecilia and Gibbon. In 2013 the "west" produced one of the best C2 team in history with that Doniphan-Trumbull team. Sutton and DT were both in the semi's in 2012.
Either your definition of the "west" is different than mine, or your definitions of "not that good" is different than mine.

What do you call "west"? Last year 2 of the best 5 teams in C-2 were Hastings St. Cecilia and Gibbon. In 2013 the "west" produced one of the best C2 team in history with that Doniphan-Trumbull team. Sutton and DT were both in the semi's in 2012.
Either your definition of the "west" is different than mine, or your definitions of "not that good" is different than mine.
West of Grand Island or maybe even Kearney I would call Sutton, STC and DT all central

West of Grand Island or maybe even Kearney I would call Sutton, STC and DT all central

You do realize that there are only 5-6 teams in C-2 west of Kearney? Geographically speaking you're right, but in terms of C-2 hard to call South Central Nebraska anything but West. And one of those, North Platte, has went 11-6 in the playoffs during that span. I'd guess that stacks up with most schools.

Reactions: hailvictors2
This is the same answer every time this point has been brought up, obviously there are good teams across the state, and the favorite this year is a Southeast NE team, however anyone that travels the state realizes that the concentration of week in and week out quality football is not in the west, it is in the east and mostly the northeast, now people will say things about titles, DC Aquinas is an outstanding program and DT has had some good teams. Also, if you put a line through the middle of the state, Sutton, DT and HSC are Out West. I have not seen Hershey or St. Paul, but lets hear more about them, I was shocked after St. Paul took apart Central City

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT