ADVERTISEMENT

Wakefield proposes new 47 million bond

Bottom line. Consolidations need to take place throughout smallsville nebraska. These tiny schools are soaking up tax dollars.
Per pupil cost is much larger in small districts then large.

You do realize that about 90% of all sate taxes go to lincoln and omaha schools and state % in a small school is 10% or less of the total budget.

Bottom line. Consolidations need to take place throughout smallsville nebraska. These tiny schools are soaking up tax dollars.
Per pupil cost is much larger in small districts then large.

The goal will be to change the tax code to not allow so much local control and revert local tax dollars to the state, this will force consolidation as now the state will control funding YOU will get your consolidation you so badly want, and the cost will be loss of local control and majority of you local land tax dollars will now be set by Lincoln and Omaha voters and spent by those districts Congrats, now the future of raising and lowering the taxes on the land in your area will now be set and controlled by what those districts need and want.

The majority of my local property tax dollars already go to the state, we live in one of the top 10 states for property tax burden. My property tax valuations in Dakota County have already gone up 60% in the last three years, it's a massive burden.
According to the Tax Foundation, the 10 states with the highest property taxes in 2019 were New Jersey (2.13%), Illinois (1.97%), New Hampshire (1.89%), Vermont (1.76%), Connecticut (1.73%), Texas (1.60%), Nebraska (1.54%), Wisconsin (1.53%), Ohio (1.52%), and Iowa (1.43%)

According to the Tax Foundation, the 10 states with the highest property taxes in 2019 were New Jersey (2.13%), Illinois (1.97%), New Hampshire (1.89%), Vermont (1.76%), Connecticut (1.73%), Texas (1.60%), Nebraska (1.54%), Wisconsin (1.53%), Ohio (1.52%), and Iowa (1.43%)
Iowa and Illinois use the system you are wanting to force consolidation. Iowa put in about 10 or so years ago and Illinois did it before they did, both promised lower taxes as the result both have not delivered BUT both got what they wanted by getting rid of the local control

Can you describe what, exactly, you think we want? You keep referring to a system we want, and I don't really think we are all having the same conversation anymore.

I want communities to be introspective and decide whether or not their student's needs are being met. If they aren't, I would hope they do what is best for them. In many examples, that comes with merging school districts (consolidating). I think that sometimes a 3rd party needs to be available to be objective in situations where members of communities are being shortsighted. To be as clear as I can, I think districts should have the final say.

I think that in your imagination, everyone pro-consolidation wants the state to mandate it, and drag everyone kicking and screaming. This is not true, and it doesn't help your argument or reputation when you repeat it constantly.

Can you describe what, exactly, you think we want? You keep referring to a system we want, and I don't really think we are all having the same conversation anymore.

I want communities to be introspective and decide whether or not their student's needs are being met. If they aren't, I would hope they do what is best for them. In many examples, that comes with merging school districts (consolidating). I think that sometimes a 3rd party needs to be available to be objective in situations where members of communities are being shortsighted. To be as clear as I can, I think districts should have the final say.

I think that in your imagination, everyone pro-consolidation wants the state to mandate it, and drag everyone kicking and screaming. This is not true, and it doesn't help your argument or reputation when you repeat it constantly.
Ok so I will repeat what has been said, Some have referred to the Iowa system for taxes that forced consolidation, another said wish someone else would make the decision because the local people are to connected to it. The State of Nebraska is trying to push a new tax system that promises just like Iowa and Illinois did to lower taxes but at the cost is local control. So i simple used some facts to show these are just a way of taking local control of money away and that yes we may see it needs consolidating but until those voters decide its up to them. Someone else also said they never vote on this, I explained they do each board election and local people that want consolidation just need to get involved with the voting and school board processes Basically I am just explaining how America and the voting processes works and how taking away local controll is a permeant thing if you lose you will never get it back in a rural area because you will never have the votes to override Lincoln or Omaha to change it once you lose it.

You do realize that about 90% of all sate taxes go to lincoln and omaha schools and state % in a small school is 10% or less of the total budget.
Where did you get your information? You seem to like the 90% number...but it was proven wrong in my last post. Considering that most of the population base in Nebraska is indeed in the Metro Area, It would make sense that they would be paying in a larger portions and spending a larger portion. It's really not a simple formula, but what is simple is that smaller districts are spending more money per pupil then larger districts. Your original assertion was that 90% of public school funding was coming from local taxes and that is simply not true.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
The goal will be to change the tax code to not allow so much local control and revert local tax dollars to the state, this will force consolidation as now the state will control funding YOU will get your consolidation you so badly want, and the cost will be loss of local control and majority of you local land tax dollars will now be set by Lincoln and Omaha voters and spent by those districts Congrats, now the future of raising and lowering the taxes on the land in your area will now be set and controlled by what those districts need and want.
I lol at this whole "loss of local control" thing. It just a giant boogie man that people use to scare the less informed.

What local controls are you worried about losing?

Post of the year.

Reactions: nenebskers
Post of the year.
The truth is, you want people to do what you think is best and if the don't you want to now put a third party in do what you feel is best, You can not see the fault in your logic because you believe your logic is correct, you are self righteous. I only want freedom of those living in that district to do what they feel is best.

Last edited:
The state can only rule that your school doesn't meet the physical plant or curricular provisions of Rule 10, and you so can't operate that school anymore unless you meet those. Up to you how you pay for those. A lot of the late 1950s closings and consolidations were hurried along because districts could not provide things like science labs and school lunch programs that the state was requiring. They were facing needing a bond issue to build or remodel or dissolve the high school district. Not sure there are many schools facing those kinds of issues right now. Running out of students is not a Rule 10 violation.
If it were not for a Grandfather Clause, the Twin River school would be deemed in violation of many codes.

I don't have an answer for them. It is a mess and I honestly don't see a solution beyond packing the facility with mobile classrooms (trailer houses) and just keep doing the best that they can.

The challenge with any of these is getting people in opposition to speak up. It is impossible to know what people are thinking when they won't share their thoughts. By all accounts, the Twin River bond was projected to pass fairly easily based upon the face to face an door to door canvasing that was done. It was quite rare to have someone say absolutely not. There were of course some people that said they were still considering. So it fails, and the "word on the street" is that it was too much money. So how much money is not too much? Nobody knows because the NO voters won't talk.

Reactions: EndzoneView
Where did you get your information? You seem to like the 90% number...but it was proven wrong in my last post. Considering that most of the population base in Nebraska is indeed in the Metro Area, It would make sense that they would be paying in a larger portions and spending a larger portion. It's really not a simple formula, but what is simple is that smaller districts are spending more money per pupil then larger districts. Your original assertion was that 90% of public school funding was coming from local taxes and that is simply not true.
FACT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT