ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the best coach we've never heard of?

Jul 29, 2011
Here is a post I've been wanting to see for a while:
Who is the best coach that traditionally does not get the publicity that others might?
A couple rules...
1. They can not have won a state championship (or been at the school during a championship).
2. Record doesn't matter!
3. Looking for a coach that does a great job with the talent (or lack thereof) he has.
4. First hand knowledge please.

Blair Kalin- Hartington High
I'm biased on this one because I got the opportunity to work with him but great defensive mind and very loyal to Hartington, has had chances in the past to move up to bigger schools but stayed at home.

Nice. Keep em coming.
One that comes to mind is Mike "Bear" Behrens at Omaha Roncalli. Doesn't have a ton of talent but they play hard and are always well coached.

Jeff Jensen -- Creighton

Took a program that was in rough shape and has turned them into a very competitive team year in and year out.

Steve Ramer-Sutton
Derek Garfield- Fairbury (formerly Wood River), brother Darin was a fantastic coach as well
Josh Graves- Cambridge
Ryan Smith- Hershey

Those are a few that come to mind in my neck of the woods.

Greg Hansen. He has turned poor programs around at Stanton and Centura. Now we will have to wait and see if he can do it again in South Sioux City.

Joey Imus - Riverside High school. Has taken Spalding/Spalding Academy to back to back State Tournaments in Basketball. This year as a first time head football coach has Riverside 5-0.

I would think Mike Speirs of HD would have to be in the discussion. He also is a great guy with no ego as opposed to some of the other coaches mentioned.

Chad Cattau-Hartington Cedar Catholic

Arnie Johnson-Boone Central

Joe Anderson-Oakland-Craig

Eric Kessler-Humphrey St. Francis

Jon Cerny-Bancroft Rosalie

The criteria stated no state titles so Im thinking Speirs doesn't count on this list, but yes great guy!
I'd throw Jimmy Clarkson from Clarkson/Leigh on that list, Dave "Big Eagle" Uldrich of Allen, and Corey "little eagle" Uldrich of Humphrey on there as well but very very far down the list, right above Cattau of Hartington Cedar Catholic though.

A couple of other ones:
John Boer (not sure about the spelling) is doing a great job at Mt. Michael.
Rick Norhous (again, not sure about the spelling) has made Syracuse into a power.
Chad Fox ( yea, I know how to spell Fox) has made Wahoo into a contender year in and year out.

I would even throw in the HC from Raymond Central. Don't know his name but he has really made something out of the mustangs.

. Re: Who is the best coach we've never heard of?

The coach at Raymond Central is Nathan Liess. I coached his uncle at Republican Valley (now Southwest) in the early 90's. He lives and breathes football, as does his entire family. I always knew he would be successful football coach. I think they may have turned the corner this year at RC.

Re: . Re: Who is the best coach we've never heard of?

sloupdog must be drinking some harsh kool aid, those are some big time names you came up with.

Originally posted by ACICOD:
Jeff Jensen -- Creighton

Took a program that was in rough shape and has turned them into a very competitive team year in and year out.
Good coach, but I think sometimes people forget that it wasn't him, but rather Duane Dohmen, that broke the long losing streak.

His last two season's at Creighton he went 8-2 (both losses to Bloomfield, eventual state runner-up) and then 6-5 (.500 regular season, first non-qualifying round playoff win in school history, and loss to eventual state champion Stromsburg).

Maresh for sure, name one team outside the top 5 that wants to play Lyons? He has kids working in a community that has zero athletic tradition. If he can land a job with above average talent, look out.

Yeah Lyons has struggled for a long time. They have only made the playoffs 6 times since 1985, and have only advanced past the first round twice. I hope they consolidate with Bancroft-Rosalie, they could be a pretty good school in northeast Nebraska. I know their Junior High started co-oping sports this year to see how it works.

Kurt Frenzen- Columbus Lakeview. From the lowliest freshman to a three year starter. This Guy cares about the kids on his team and shows it to them at every opportunity. I have a great deal of respect for everything he does.

Dohmen was the true architect of the Creighton football turn around. Creighton would have had three state titles by now if Dohmen was still there.

This post was edited on 10/16 4:07 PM by Marzano

Kevin O'Neill - at Ord from 1996-1998 seasons. Ord was really bad in 1994-1995. Took them to quarterfinals and got beat by eventual champions I believe.

Carl Streeter - been an integral part of the Ord program since 1980-present. Coached their entire playoff history as defensive coordinator up to 2006. 1987 or 1988 team finished in semi finals, got beat by BBow who they had beaten in the regular season.

Marzano wow those are some harsh words, you must not be a fan of the smoke machine coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT