ADVERTISEMENT

11-man to 8-man/8-man to 11-man

rufuller

Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 10, 2008
Can we get a revised list of teams either opting to play 8-man or 11-man after last nights board meetings?

I know Wakefield and Cambridge are both confirmed they will be playing 8-man next cycle. Can we get confirmations on the following bubble teams:
Thayer Central, Tri County, Superior, LyonsNE/BR, Cross County, West Holt, Laurel-Concord Coleridge, Shelby-Rising City, Weeping Water.

Are there any others thinking about moving up or down?

Thanks!

Are these teams opting down or are they getting bumped down to enrollment numbers? And if these teams are opting down to play 8-man, are any teams bumping up to 11 man? It's looking a lot more are dropping down and not enough coming up to even it out. Is there anyone with any input on what happens to the top of C2? Does Aquinas stay down? Do teams like North Bend, Wilber-Clatonia, Johnson County, and Chase County move down?

Is an expanded 8 man class the way to go by raising the 8 man number or should there be another class added to 11 man to try to help out the bottom of C2 roster numbers? Would it be smart to make a Class B-2 and shift some teams around that way or are roster numbers so low that adding more 8 man teams is the way to go?

You can chant "co-op" and "consolidate" all you want, but I think that's only appropriate in certain situations. co-oping any C2 school with an 8 man school is probably going to result in a pretty below average C1 team and then you're back in the same boat of being a doormat. Plus, co-oping and consolidating are more extreme options than raising the 8 man number or creating another 11 man class to try and even out the numbers.

I think that some people (including newspaper sports writers) believe we need less classes in football. I think that will only create more problems in terms of the top enrollments vs bottom enrollments in each of those classes. If you add another class and shrink the number of teams in the classes, you will probably have more balanced competition and some of the bottom teams may be able to compete a little more against the "top" enrollment schools in their respective class.
Several teams choosing to play 8-man will not be able to make playoffs due to high enrollment, you may have a case where 56 teams in D-1 but 14 cant go because of high enrollment so only 42 and eligible and 32 of that 42 get in, Might be time for the 83 number to move up to 95 or so and/or the number move up and D1-D2 and D3 class in 8-man

West Holt is dropping down? Wow. That's a quality program... and they can't field enough to stay in Class C2? So sad...

West Holt will be at 8 man for this 2 year cycle only I believe. Then numbers go back up a bunch ongoing. West Holt asked Stuart if they wanted to co-op so Stuart didn't have to go 6 man and would stay 11 man(West Holt) but Stuart said no.

I wonder what the NSAA is thinking about this as the schools decide to opt down? Missed their chance last year when they voted....is it going to be to late to raise the enrollment limit for next year?

Some have mentioned raising the limit from 83 to 95, 90 or even less. I feel that is a start but doesn't move the needle enough, problems will still exist. It needs to be 105 or more, maybe even as high as 115. Keep in mind that if adjusting from 83 to 90 is probably less than 10 kids total for four grades. In addition those 10 kids doesn't differiantiate between boys and girls so the number is even less.

Heard from an Ainsworth parent that they started the year with 26 kids and were down to 13 against Battle Creek when they stopped the game. Sad to see so many teams unable to finish games and seasons.

West Holt will be at 8 man for this 2 year cycle only I believe. Then numbers go back up a bunch ongoing. West Holt asked Stuart if they wanted to co-op so Stuart didn't have to go 6 man and would stay 11 man(West Holt) but Stuart said no.
Not a smart move by Stuart. Why would you not try the co-op for at least two years? They are 10 miles apart. They would be an solid Class C2 team and even a C1 team in that district.

Wood River might be added to that list. Not for sure. I know they are discussing this currently. No decision will be made till the deadline gets closer I'm sure. 26 kids were out and 10 were freshman. The motivating factor is to get a "winning" culture back into the school for football. They have endured a handful of horrible losses in the last 6 seasons. Games usually over at halftime. Participation numbers are down due to not having success. To me, I find that as a horrible excuse to not play football but it is what it is. They have tried everything but opt down to 8 man. As far as I know, this would be a temporary move to get participation numbers back up. When and IF that happens, they would join class C again.

Stuart will suffer a rough patch, but will have numbers go up. Have never wanted to combine with anyone until it absolutely needs too. Been pretty successful being seperate so far.

They would move up to C1. The thought of going from D2 to playing Norfolk Catholic and Pierce would be too much.

Here is what I know about who is going where....

6 Man- Harvard, Red Cloud, Franklin, Potter-Dix, Hampton

8 Man- Wakefield, Cambridge, Thayer Central, Tri County, Superior, West Holt, Laurel Concord-Coleridge, Ainsworth

11 Man- Lyons/Bancroft-Rosalie, Cross County

I've heard Ravenna, Wood River, and Weeping Water are going 8 man. I do not have confirmation of those are certainties,does anyone else?

The following schools were 8 man last year but are over the limit of 83: Anyone know what they plan to do? Stay down in 8 or come up to 11?
Winnebago
Omaha Nation
Southwest
Sutherland
Nebraska Christian
Perkins County
Neleigh-Oakdale
Amherst (Staying 8 man-Confirmed)
Plainview

What those teams do will make a huge impact on the cut line for C-1/C-2

Also the following schools were 11 man this cycle but now under the cut of 83
Tri Coutny- confirmed going down
Cambridge- confirmed going down
West Holt- confirmed going down
Lutheran High Northeast

Anyone know what LHNE is doing?

Now LCC needs a coach who is qualified, how that jackass was there to begin with is beyond me. Lhne needs kids to compete, as well as other small c2 teams.

I'm shocked that LHNE doesn't have the numbers. I wonder if they're enrollment is shrinking- but the numbers of boys out for football is still (relatively) high. There are schools with 90 kids... but 40 of them play football. And then there are schools with 150 kids... but only 20 go out for football. That's what makes me wonder if LHNE is down football-wise... or enrollment-wise (or both)? Either way, pretty surprising.

did i miss something on LHNE? are they going to play 8 or 11? I apologize if this has been confirmed either way, but i can't seem to find anything.

Lutheran High NE enrollment for next cycle will be 74 I think. Anyone know if they are playing 8 or 11?

Lutheran High NE enrollment for next cycle will be 74 I think. Anyone know if they are playing 8 or 11?
Does anyone have confirmation on Homer or Lutheran High Northeast on whether or not they are playing 8 or 11-man football for the next two year cycle?

Homer had their last board meeting on November 9th. No mention of any discussion in the meetings minutes or agenda. Also no mentionn in the October minutes or agenda. Surprised it wasn't even discussed. Im assuming a decision like this would have to be approved by the school's board.

Buffalo-you mentioned in a previous post that you were 99% sure Homer is dropping. Just curious, have you heard it straight from a horse's mouth or by second hand rumor? I have a good source but they haven't mentioned anything. I haven't asked either, though.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT