ADVERTISEMENT

Football A Realistic Look at Football Participation Numbers

It's a great argument. Anybody that has ever played 8 man football on a field designed for 11 man knows that it sucks....big time.

Also --- scheme. Anyone that has coached both 8 and 11 man, knows that the similarities end with the shape of the football. Scheme is completely different. Going from 11 to 9, you run your same stuff. Drop off the OT's and go play.

I believe Colorado plays on a 100 yard field in 8 man. Not sure of the width though.

Reactions: Ruttingbuck
It's a great argument. Anybody that has ever played 8 man football on a field designed for 11 man knows that it sucks....big time.

Also --- scheme. Anyone that has coached both 8 and 11 man, knows that the similarities end with the shape of the football. Scheme is completely different. Going from 11 to 9, you run your same stuff. Drop off the OT's and go play.

I can see your point on Scheme. What I don't understand is what costs are associated with changing the field size. This is an honest question because I REALLY don't know.

As far as I can tell, you have to move 1 goal post. The rest of the field size is determined by a lawn mower and paint. Am I missing something here?

I appreciate the input.

Reactions: Ruttingbuck
I never said it was a community decision. I said a person in the community told me that. I guess I think it's good news because they have rejected open enrollment kids in order to be in C-2. Of course some of that is hear say and not admissible in a court of law.

I understand now, and see your point. Thx

Reactions: runningback43
I can see your point on Scheme. What I don't understand is what costs are associated with changing the field size. This is an honest question because I REALLY don't know.

As far as I can tell, you have to move 1 goal post. The rest of the field size is determined by a lawn mower and paint. Am I missing something here?

I appreciate the input.

If you move one goal post, then your stands are off-center....and mommy doesn't like sitting somewhere other than close to midfield. LOL.
Many 8 man games are now played on turf fields...where the mower and painter do not determine the layout. The numbering is messed up, the hashes are wrong, the sideline is a piece of strapping....that moves.... Not ideal. Portable goal posts are 3000 minimum for a cheap set. Much more for something quality.

I believe Colorado plays on a 100 yard field in 8 man. Not sure of the width though.

Colorado does play on a 100 yard field, but it is 40 yards wide like we have in Nebraska.

To me, this seems like the easiest fix to the problems associated with costs of changing the dimensions of the field in going from 11 man to 8 man and back. You never have to move the goalposts if you're a "bubble" school, just paint the sidelines in a different place. Moving the goalposts are by far the biggest costs.

Reactions: runningback43
https://journalstar.com/sports/high...cle_98caff9a-7ddb-596e-bae6-983d52de7685.html

Two football proposals are being brought forth for NSAA consideration:

1) 8-man playoffs would remain at 32 teams in each class, broken up by geography in the first round, but after the first round the remaining 16 teams would be reseeded into one bracket regardless of geography

2) The playoff cutoff limits would be raised from 47 to 56 in 8-man football and from 27 to 36 for 6-man

Last edited:
Colorado does play on a 100 yard field, but it is 40 yards wide like we have in Nebraska.

To me, this seems like the easiest fix to the problems associated with costs of changing the dimensions of the field in going from 11 man to 8 man and back. You never have to move the goalposts if you're a "bubble" school, just paint the sidelines in a different place. Moving the goalposts are by far the biggest costs.

Is there a reason Nebraska goes with the 80 yard field? I like the idea of having a 100 yard field in 8 man with the 40 yard width.

https://journalstar.com/sports/high...cle_98caff9a-7ddb-596e-bae6-983d52de7685.html

Two football proposals are being brought forth for NSAA consideration:

1) 8-man playoffs would remain at 32 teams in each class, broken up by geography in the first round, but after the first round the remaining 16 teams would be reseeded into one bracket regardless of geography

2) The playoff cutoff limits would be raised from 47 to 56 in 8-man football and from 27 to 36 for 6-man

While gets to vote on this? All delegates or just current 6 and 8 man schools?

From the October 9, 2019 Wakefield meeting

https://www.wakefieldschools.org/vi...ies/596693b006509/MeetingMinutes 10092019.pdf

Wakefield, Emerson-Hubbard, & Allen Consolidated Cooperative

- The committee met in Emerson on Sept. 18

- Discussion took place about how the new mascot, name and color scheme would be developed and voted upon by the student bodies

- Junior High sports seem to be going well with all three schools combined

- Administration has been discussing facilities and trying to develop a plan as to where games would be held

- Administration is hoping to fill the full-time AD position by December.

- Superintendents will meet to work on NSAA paperwork, handbooks, AD job description and facility plan

- A generic resolution would make it easier to add future sports and activities

- If we would offer softball, paperwork needs to be filed by July 1 with NSAA

- Discussion about what academics the schools could work together on also: speech, one act, musicals, plays, band and choir

- Emerson would be interested in a speech cooperative

- Unified Bowling, Cheerleading and Dance were discussed as possible activities

- The general resolution will be voted on at the October meeting. The resolution will include mascot, color and name. If any school votes no, we will have to relook at things

- The next meeting is Wednesday, October 16 at 5:30 in Wakefield

- A request was made for reconsideration to change/amend the proposed cooperative agreement to include boys basketball for the upcoming 2020-21 season. It has been discussed the need to complete a Title IX review of our sports program. Keeping the boys separate in and of itself does not violate Title IX. Allen and Emerson's superintendents said they are more than in agreement to coop boys basketball next year. They may choose to form a two-school cooperative for next year without Wakefield due to low boys numbers at Emerson-Hubbard and Allen if boys basketball is not included in the three-school coop. The request was tabled until the discussion with the Coop Committee

- Consider, Discuss, & Take Necessary Action to Enter Into a Full Sports Cooperative (including Boys Basketball by 2021-22) as the "Quad County Trailblazers", colors are Black, Charcoal and Gold and using a Bufflo/Bison mascot, beginning in the 2020-21 school year. This agreement includes Wakefield, Emerson-Hubbard and Allen High Schools. The three schools' student councils came together at ESU #1 with each school bringing up to three names, mascots and colors on September 30. Student teams presented their recommendations. The teams top choices for name were Quad County, Middle Creek and South Dixon. The committee sought input from the NSAA Executive Director asking if Quad County is okay and not competing against the Quad County Northeast wrestling cooperative. Quad County was approved as a name since it is a full cooperative name.

The students agreed that Trailblazers and Yellow Jackets as their two mascot choices. The committee agreed on either Quad County or Middle Creek as their name choice. The two color choices selected were Navy Blue, Gold and Maroon and Black, Charcoal and Gold.

All three schools' student bodies grades 6-12 voted for their first and second choices. The schools selected the name Quad County, Trailblazers with the colors of Black, Gold and Charcoal.

The Board took this motion to a vote, and the vote deadlocked at 3-3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT