ADVERTISEMENT

All high school sports in Lancaster County are shut down for 3 weeks

Yeah I've seen on Twitter and heard from many educators who are not very happy with that message from NSEA.
I think a of people are upset that NSEA came out and made a statement without much input from my understanding. The NSEA also came off as whiny you know whats. I think that educators in general though are getting taxed and there just isn't anyone to come help when 10-15 percent of your staff is out. Most schools are maxed out on their sub list nearly every day which is taking a toll as educators are doing a lot of extra covering outside of their actual classroom responsibilities.
Winter sports in my opinion probably should get postponed through the holidays. It's a potential way to help slow some spread, relieve some tension for a little bit during what will most likely be a rough holiday month from the covid perspective. It also allows kids to stay in school, I'd hope.
Way too early to cancel the whole thing though by all means!

I think a of people are upset that NSEA came out and made a statement without much input from my understanding. The NSEA also came off as whiny you know whats. I think that educators in general though are getting taxed and there just isn't anyone to come help when 10-15 percent of your staff is out. Most schools are maxed out on their sub list nearly every day which is taking a toll as educators are doing a lot of extra covering outside of their actual classroom responsibilities.
Winter sports in my opinion probably should get postponed through the holidays. It's a potential way to help slow some spread, relieve some tension for a little bit during what will most likely be a rough holiday month from the covid perspective. It also allows kids to stay in school, I'd hope.
Way too early to cancel the whole thing though by all means!
If "spread" is the main concern, bars & restaurants need shut down. Until there is proof there is widespread infections from winter sports, let it go. Students will be in less controlled environments if they aren't at practice. I saw an article in the LJS about a LPS team "practicing" at a church gym. Seems less controlled than coaches being in charge

If "spread" is the main concern, bars & restaurants need shut down. Until there is proof there is widespread infections from winter sports, let it go. Students will be in less controlled environments if they aren't at practice. I saw an article in the LJS about a LPS team "practicing" at a church gym. Seems less controlled than coaches being in charge

I agree - there has been no such data that has proven that being in school and activities has been the cause of the spread. Kids need to be in school and participating in their activities for their mental health.

Reactions: aug291992
Shutting down sports until January won't help in the schools. The safest place for these kids to be is in school and participating in activities.

Don't disagree with that either.

Sorry and no one wants to hear the truth but schools are the event the event that started this, everyday since school has started, cases have went up,

My wife is an educator as are several family members.......they aren't really seeing much spread at school or school activities. It is out-of-school activities that seem to be the source of spread.

My wife is an educator as are several family members.......they aren't really seeing much spread at school or school activities. It is out-of-school activities that seem to be the source of spread.
I keep believing what you hear then, and ignore the fact that cases have risen everyday since school started

If we would have just left schools closed, then this virus would have never touched us in Nebraska! #NUT2024

Reactions: Llama57
I keep believing what you hear then, and ignore the fact that cases have risen everyday since school started
Cases have been going up since March, when school was cancelled. Every single person I know of that has had to quarantine or got it was from outside of school. Halloween parties, get togethers, etc.
I do have concerns that mid-December, we will see a spike from Thanksgiving that may shut down things.
What else happens when school starts? Weather cools and people gather inside, rather than outside.

Similar to the normal flu season. People go inside and cases of the flu go up.
The USA will lead the world in cases and in deaths, but Americans do not care as long as they get to do what they want, when they want, we consider ourself a civilized and advanced society. Except our actions and statical facts are anything but. Remember that old saying " Avoid it like the plague" going to have to stop using that, turns out Americans don't do that. Have a safe Thanksgivings and please be smart

New DHM in Lancaster County says no indoor contact sports until at least December 18.....so no high school basketball or wrestling in the county until then.

New DHM in Lancaster County says no indoor contact sports until at least December 18.....so no high school basketball or wrestling in the county until then.
New DHM is for "gyms". Doesn't apply to HS activities, they still have the Dec. 7 date. But it can (and I'm sure will) be revisited.

The USA will lead the world in cases and in deaths, but Americans do not care as long as they get to do what they want, when they want, we consider ourself a civilized and advanced society. Except our actions and statical facts are anything but. Remember that old saying " Avoid it like the plague" going to have to stop using that, turns out Americans don't do that. Have a safe Thanksgivings and please be smart

Why give out the most severe punishment to the least impacted group? Large gyms with parents only at the games is not going to hurt anything. High school kids are social creatures by nature. With or without games they are interacting with their peers. At least games/practices will give them that opportunity in a controlled enviornment.
Enough with the fear mongering "The USA will lead the world in cases and in death." We test over 4x's as much as any other country. According to the maker of COVID test, an estimated 30% of them will conclude a false positive. My sister works in hospice care. Roughly 90% of their patients who test positive from COVID survive. She also said about every other week they have a patient who has a few days left to live so they'll allow family to visit. They'll end up contracting COVID from the visits and they get considered a COVID death. But, those are just facts. You've clearly allowed MSM to take away your ability to think on your own. I am guessing you know a handful of people who've had COVID and I am guessing you have given zero concern for them, if they are otherwise healthy, when you heard they were positive. It's crazy what happens when you use what's going on around you to develop a perspective and stop relying on what the TV tells you to think.

Last edited:
Why give out the most severe punishment to the least impacted group? Large gyms with parents only at the games is not going to hurt anything. High school kids are social creatures by nature. With or without games they are interacting with their peers. At least games/practices will give them that opportunity in a controlled enviornment.
Enough with the fear mongering "The USA will lead the world in cases and in death." We test over 4x's as much as any other country. According to the maker of COVID test, an estimated 30% of them will conclude a false positive. My sister works in hospice care. Roughly 90% of their patients who test positive from COVID survive. She also said about every other week they have a patient who has a few days left to live so they'll allow family to visit. They'll end up contracting COVID from the visits and they get considered a COVID death. But, those are just facts. You've clearly allowed MSM to take away your ability to think on your own. I am guessing you know a handful of people who've had COVID and I am guessing you have given zero concern for them, if they are otherwise healthy, when you heard they were positive. It's crazy what happens when you use what's going on around you to develop a perspective and stop relying on what the TV tells you to think.
Everything Nut said is true. I'm assuming someone (radio/TV) told you these other "facts", or did you research & come up on your own?

Your language indicates severe influence from certain sources: mongering, MSM, and more tests. Hmmm....sounds like you could do some thinking of your own.

But that being said Rush, school and being in activities is the safest place for kids IMO. Not a fact, just my opinion since I have school age kids.

The part we for get about. is te impact they have spreading to their parents or worse yet grand parents and then the impact on teachers. Teachers pretty much have become a group we have just said oh well they are expendable

The USA will lead the world in deaths and cases because we are leading the world in testing and reporting. And the death numbers are overstated. Look up the research from John Hopkins that shows there has not been an increase in the number of deaths in the US vs. previous years. And deaths attributed to cancer, heart disease, respiratory disease, alzheimers, diabetes AND seasonal flu and pneumonia have dropped proportionally to the number of deaths attributed to COVID 19. It's masks mandates now - will you get on the train when they tell you to NUT?

The USA will lead the world in deaths and cases because we are leading the world in testing and reporting. And the death numbers are overstated. Look up the research from John Hopkins that shows there has not been an increase in the number of deaths in the US vs. previous years. And deaths attributed to cancer, heart disease, respiratory disease, alzheimers, diabetes AND seasonal flu and pneumonia have dropped proportionally to the number of deaths attributed to COVID 19. It's masks mandates now - will you get on the train when they tell you to NUT?
I have done some looking and can you give what are those exact numbers and the differences ?

I have done some looking and can you give what are those exact numbers and the differences ?

Here is a link to a story with all the data in it. Look - I know COVID exists. I know it's bad. But I believe it isn't as bad as a really bad strain of the seasonal flu. Have perfectly healthy people died from COVID? Yes. Perfectly healthy people die from the seasonal flu - EVERY YEAR. I know a guy that died from a tooth ache! Wouldn't go to the dentist - didn't think it was a big deal. Got an infection - died from sepsis. Should we mandate dentist visits every time you have a toothache? COVID is real but we need to be realistic about it.

A few days ago Johns Hopkins published a study saying corona is nbd. They then deleted it. Read it here in its entirety

Newsie101, you use a weblink from notthebee.com. Could you find a little better news source? The link references an article that has since been taken down.

From their website in reference to the article....
Editor’s Note: After The News-Letter published this article on Nov. 22, it was brought to our attention that our coverage of Genevieve Briand’s presentation “COVID-19 Deaths: A Look at U.S. Data” has been used to support dangerous inaccuracies that minimize the impact of the pandemic.

We decided on Nov. 26 to retract this article to stop the spread of misinformation, as we noted on social media. However, it is our responsibility as journalists to provide a historical record. We have chosen to take down the article from our website, but it is available
here as a PDF.

In accordance with our standards for transparency, we are sharing with our readers how we came to this decision.
The News-Letter is an editorially and financially independent, student-run publication. Our articles and content are not endorsed by the University or the School of Medicine, and our decision to retract this article was made independently.

Briand’s study should not be used exclusively in understanding the impact of COVID-19, but should be taken in context with the countless other data published by Hopkins, the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

As assistant director for the Master’s in Applied Economics program at Hopkins, Briand is neither a medical professional nor a disease researcher. At her talk, she herself stated that more research and data are needed to understand the effects of COVID-19 in the U.S.

To summarize the context above. They had to remove the article because of people like yourself.

Newsie101, you use a weblink from notthebee.com. Could you find a little better news source? The link references an article that has since been taken down.

Editor’s Note: After The News-Letter published this article on Nov. 22, it was brought to our attention that our coverage of Genevieve Briand’s presentation “COVID-19 Deaths: A Look at U.S. Data” has been used to support dangerous inaccuracies that minimize the impact of the pandemic.

We decided on Nov. 26 to retract this article to stop the spread of misinformation, as we noted on social media. However, it is our responsibility as journalists to provide a historical record. We have chosen to take down the article from our website, but it is available
here as a PDF.

In accordance with our standards for transparency, we are sharing with our readers how we came to this decision.
The News-Letter is an editorially and financially independent, student-run publication. Our articles and content are not endorsed by the University or the School of Medicine, and our decision to retract this article was made independently.

Briand’s study should not be used exclusively in understanding the impact of COVID-19, but should be taken in context with the countless other data published by Hopkins, the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

As assistant director for the Master’s in Applied Economics program at Hopkins, Briand is neither a medical professional nor a disease researcher. At her talk, she herself stated that more research and data are needed to understand the effects of COVID-19 in the U.S.

To summarize the context above. They had to remove the article because of people like yourself.
You do realize if you sum all of the low results of deaths in all other categories, that is a difference of about 2000 or lets say even 10K or even 15K so take 2000 or 10K or 15K off of 267 thousand and that doesn't change a thing. So yes but really? come on man

Last edited:

here as a PDF.

A google search shows other websites carried the same story so your argument about it being in the website I linked doesn't hold water. Other websites carried the same story. If you read the statement closely, you'll see they didn't really say the data was inaccurate - just that the data was used to support other inaccuracies. The same statement makes the same data available - We have chosen to take down the article from our website, but it is available here as a PDF

I'm guessing you didn't read the article and look closely at the data. The numbers are skewed. Answer me this. Why are people in hospice with cancer being counted in the COVID death count when they die - just because they happened to catch COVID while waiting to die? Why have the number of deaths attributed to heart disease dropped the last 6 months? All other causes of death have dropped. Why? Suicides have jumped - how come there aren't any stories about that?

I'm done with this topic. I'm surprised these posts haven't been taken down from a board about high school sports.

You do realize if you sum all of the low results of deaths in all other categories, that is a difference of about 2000 or lets say even 10K or even 15K so take 2000 or 10K or 15K off of 267 thousand and that doesn't change a thing. So yes but really? come on man

Those were 1 week numbers - but then you realized that when you actually studied the data - right?

Those were 1 week numbers - but then you realized that when you actually studied the data - right?
those who do have other things like cancer do get counted if they die due to covid complications, yes I know they were almost gone but not gone till covid, and yes you have some covid cases set to some that do not make sense but you are grasping to say 200 thousand plus deaths are mostly fake, you do you and I will do my best to protect me and others

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT