ADVERTISEMENT

All high school sports in Lancaster County are shut down for 3 weeks

Will be interesting to see what happens with the state championship football games

Prior to the announcement about Lancaster County shutting down, local health officials reportedly told the NSAA that only 2,000 people would be allowed inside Memorial Stadium for the championship games (1,000 for each team). Seemed to raise issue with Jay Bellar, assuming that figure doesn't come close to paying the rent of Memorial Stadium

If Sean's tweet is correct, and schools would host the state title games, per the current NSAA brackets

Class A: team located furthest WEST
Class B: team located furthest EAST
Class C1: team located furthest WEST
Class C2: team located furthest EAST
Class D1: team located furthest WEST
Class D2: team located furthest EAST

Class D6: i assume this will still be played in Kearney at UNK's campus

Last edited:
It would be nice if all the games could be at UNK from NET’s standpoint. Hope games can still be played at Memorial for the kids and TV aspect.

Watched the Pierce/St. Paul game on NCN and post game Pierce coach Mark Brahmer said Pierce will host the C1 title game next week.

Sure is a lot of folks talking about schools hosting, but tweets I've read said Lincoln's restrictions only apply to indoor sports......and NSAA has not made any announcement

I've received several messages that says school ADs were notified this afternoon that schools would be hosting the state finals this year.

I'm asking for clarification, but I'm assuming the highest remaining seed will host

Also, I'm assuming the 6-man game is remaining in Kearney, but we shall see

NSAA confirms it. Highest remaining seed will host state title games in Classes A thru D2 next Friday. Schools will work on kickoff times on their own. 6-man will remain in Kearney as scheduled

NSAA Executive Director Jay Bellar told The World-Herald that the rental cost for Memorial Stadium could not be justified given attendance restrictions from the Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department. That agency, he said, also preferred not having people from 12 communities in town for the finals.

He said initially the health department decided each of the six games planned for the stadium on Nov. 23 and 24 could have 1,000 fans per team, but that amount was put in doubt by Gov. Pete Ricketts’ announcement Friday that high school and college sports may have to drastically curtail attendance amid higher COVID-19 numbers.

Memorial Stadium has hosted the state football playoff finals since 1996. Before that, the championship games were played at home sites.

Hopefully NCN is able to step in and televise a game or two
NCN was originally scheduled to televise the 6 man game. I assume that will still happen, but know they have a couple more production trucks that could do other games, if they are staggered.

Hopefully NCN is able to step in and televise a game or two

It won't surprise me if they do pick up some games.

I think people may have forgotten how great the atmosphere is at a high school field when they are playing for a state championship. It's good for the kids and TV purposes that the finals are played in Memorial Stadium in Lincoln - but boy oh boy, the atmosphere in these small towns leading up to the game - and then the game itself - will be off the chart. I know most people are disappointed - especially the seniors. But with what a shit show 2020 has been, think of the memory they can have by saying they won their final game for a championship on their home field?? Or if they are a visiting team they can brag how they ruined an opposing teams senior class home game? It might just make some people wish finals weren't in Memorial Stadium any more....

Ord’s coach said it best. I’ve always been a fan of playing games at Memorial. But this year is so strange, at least kids are still playing. (Quote from nebpreps newsletter which everyone should subscribe to.)

"You get to play in the state championship game, you'd play it in the sandlot or you'd play it on the moon. You are playing for a state championship, it won't bother our guys. They'd play anywhere, anytime and against anybody." -- Ord coach Nathan Wells

March - Girls play their state finals. One week later Lincoln puts major restrictions on the boys championship games.

November - Girls play their state finals. One week later Lincoln puts major restrictions on the boys championship games.

It won't surprise me if they do pick up some games.

I think people may have forgotten how great the atmosphere is at a high school field when they are playing for a state championship. It's good for the kids and TV purposes that the finals are played in Memorial Stadium in Lincoln - but boy oh boy, the atmosphere in these small towns leading up to the game - and then the game itself - will be off the chart. I know most people are disappointed - especially the seniors. But with what a shit show 2020 has been, think of the memory they can have by saying they won their final game for a championship on their home field?? Or if they are a visiting team they can brag how they ruined an opposing teams senior class home game? It might just make some people wish finals weren't in Memorial Stadium any more....
I'm fine with the games not being played at Memorial Stadium, but I'm not a fan of them being played at home sites either. Some schools have some really bad facilities and they shouldn't be allowed to host a state final.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
I'm fine with the games not being played at Memorial Stadium, but I'm not a fan of them being played at home sites either. Some schools have some really bad facilities and they shouldn't be allowed to host a state final.
Agreed. I think Bergan vs Ord in Albion would have been great. Turf. Streaming capability.

Pierce vs Hastings Adams Central could be at Columbus at the city field. Streaming capability, seating on both sides.

Dundy vs Burwell at North Platte High.

BDS vs Dunning/Thedford at UNK or Kearney High

March - Girls play their state finals. One week later Lincoln puts major restrictions on the boys championship games.

November - Girls play their state finals. One week later Lincoln puts major restrictions on the boys championship games.
Blame NSAA. They don’t want to pony up this year the money.

Agreed. I think Bergan vs Ord in Albion would have been great. Turf. Streaming capability.

Pierce vs Hastings Adams Central could be at Columbus at the city field. Streaming capability, seating on both sides.

That's assuming those entities would be willing to host. But I like your thinking!

I think we figured out who bgclub is... Colin Cowherd!! That's one hot take!!

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Blame NSAA. They don’t want to pony up this year the money.
Well I don’t blame them. You can’t try rent something if you can’t afford it. Would be nice if some state aid/funding could get thrown back into the NSAA instead of some of the small public school who could just consolidate with a larger school 7 miles down the road.

Reactions: nenebskers

I don't know that these neutral site would want anything to do with it. I can tell you that Columbus and Albion are smoking hot with Covid right now and I seriously doubt they would want to bring in a bunch of outsiders just for the fun of it. Those are just 2 examples and I realize there are hundreds of other potential venues.

I just don't thing that the schools in the neutral sites want to add any more risk than is absolutely necessary.

I don't know that these neutral site would want anything to do with it. I can tell you that Columbus and Albion are smoking hot with Covid right now and I seriously doubt they would want to bring in a bunch of outsiders just for the fun of it. Those are just 2 examples and I realize there are hundreds of other potential venues.

I just don't thing that the schools in the neutral sites want to add any more risk than is absolutely necessary.
I agree. It’s pretty bad in Platte County currently. But just from the field point of view, the city field in Columbus would be a great option to play on.

I hope the smaller towns don’t get hit hard with COVID by hosting these games.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
I've also heard conflicting reports that Lincoln/Lancaster County has prohibited all high school extra curricular activities, including football, effective now.

So either way, Memorial Stadium is out of play.

I'm just glad these games are still able to be played. Who knows, in a few weeks we may be having a whole different discussion about high school sports around here.

I agree. It’s pretty bad in Platte County currently. But just from the field point of view, the city field in Columbus would be a great option to play on.

I hope the smaller towns don’t get hit hard with COVID by hosting these games.
Unfortunately they already have been hit hard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT