ADVERTISEMENT

Class C Spring Baseball proposal

jonh142881

Freshman
Dec 7, 2003
Does anyone have insight into the proposed Class C baseball classification? How likely is it to pass? I've heard it passed the first round of voting.

Failed our district. I hope it doesnt happen. It is a pure numbers game that I see every year in softball.

Not aware of this. It does seem pretty impossible for some of the smaller class B schools to compete in the current two class system.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
I really wish Nebraska would follow what Iowa does. Have high school baseball in the summer. Soccer, Track and Golf are enough opportunities for kids in the spring.

Nebraska doesn’t need High School baseball AND Legion ball.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I'm not sure what the problem is with spring HS baseball. Iowa is the only state in the country that has a weird HS season in the summer. Nebraska's rich history with legion baseball makes it highly unlikely the NSAA would try to leverage legion ball out of existence. Plus, tons of kids play legion ball in areas that simply would not have HS baseball no matter when the season was. Small schools that can't support HS baseball in the spring certainly wouldn't take on the expenses of fielding a HS season when school is out for the summer.

Legion baseball in Nebraska for Class C and D schools is heading the way of the dinosaur for a majority of small towns. It takes two, three or more communities (schools) to even create a team. The only way to save summer baseball for small schools in Nebraska is to split from its legion ties and have it school supported.
JMO

Legion baseball in Nebraska for Class C and D schools is heading the way of the dinosaur for a majority of small towns. It takes two, three or more communities (schools) to even create a team. The only way to save summer baseball for small schools in Nebraska is to split from its legion ties and have it school supported.
JMO
This. Legion ball isn’t what it was 10-15 years ago. I just don’t see the point in having two seasons of baseball. It hurts the high school track teams by having some kids play baseball in the spring.

Again, those same Class C (there is no class D legion baseball) rural areas that can't/won't field spring HS teams also AREN'T going to commit the budget to fielding a summer HS team. So 2-3 communities have to field joint legion teams, big deal. At least kids can find a place to play baseball in the summer if they really want to. Kill off the legion structure completely and they won't.

Baseball is growing in popularity compared to almost every other sport. Spring HS baseball isn't going anywhere in Nebraska.

JMO
How do you see that helping? My guess is you'd still see 2-3 schools needed to field a team. You may be right about the dinosaur status, but I guess, I don't see how your idea would save it?

Again, those same Class C (there is no class D legion baseball) rural areas that can't/won't field spring HS teams also AREN'T going to commit the budget to fielding a summer HS team. So 2-3 communities have to field joint legion teams, big deal. At least kids can find a place to play baseball in the summer if they really want to. Kill off the legion structure completely and they won't.

Baseball is growing in popularity compared to almost every other sport. Spring HS baseball isn't going anywhere in Nebraska.
I think this makes the most sense. Not sure of the need to blow up something that seems to work for those who enjoy playing. On a personal note, I'd rather see the small schools REPLACE track WITH baseball.

I think this makes the most sense. Not sure of the need to blow up something that seems to work for those who enjoy playing. On a personal note, I'd rather see the small schools REPLACE track WITH baseball.

giphy.gif

I love track......

Listen, Track and Field did me a lot of good. Kept me out of the field, avoided a lot of fence fixing, and the like! Also, best chance to meet girls from other schools! As a parent/fan...not so much. Meet me half way? We agree to run the 2 mile outside the track while rea...other events can go on? And Javelin... need Javelin to keep my interest. On a serious note, I just prefer baseball, vastly, to track.

I think it will pass, but I also think softball should be moved to the spring as well! How can Girls Golf, Cross Country, Volleyball and Softball all exist in the fall? It makes no sense. The only girls sport in the spring is track?
Agree with that, at least one needs to move to spring

I think it will pass, but I also think softball should be moved to the spring as well! How can Girls Golf, Cross Country, Volleyball and Softball all exist in the fall? It makes no sense. The only girls sport in the spring is track?
Why can't VB or girls golf be moved to spring? Spring weather plain stinks. I've had 2 kids play SB, and fall is the only way to go weather wise.
My main concern is the lack of teams in baseball. If you split Class B into 2 classes, there aren't many teams in each. Perhaps make an amendment that when there are 60 non-A teams then they split? But I do firmly believe there should be a class C in baseball....much like there should be 4 classes in softball, but that's a different topic...

Why can't VB or girls golf be moved to spring? Spring weather plain stinks. I've had 2 kids play SB, and fall is the only way to go weather wise.
My main concern is the lack of teams in baseball. If you split Class B into 2 classes, there aren't many teams in each. Perhaps make an amendment that when there are 60 non-A teams then they split? But I do firmly believe there should be a class C in baseball....much like there should be 4 classes in softball, but that's a different topic...
Volleyball being the most popular by far would not be the one to move, softball makes way more since to be a spring sport

Last edited:
Spring golf for the girls more than likely won't work. There are several schools in the state that share the same golf course for practice. Those courses would be really packed with boys and girls from two or more schools practicing at the same time.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Soccer
Tennis

Reactions: saluno22
Yes, move softball! Softball has been growing at the NSAA level at the Class C level. Soccer and tennis are not an option at most class C schools but softball is and would be even more so if it didn't go against volleyball. I agree that weather wise the fall is better than the spring. Why not push baseball and softball back 2-3 weeks? Why couldn't the season end the first week of June?

Yes, move softball! Softball has been growing at the NSAA level at the Class C level. Soccer and tennis are not an option at most class C schools but softball is and would be even more so if it didn't go against volleyball. I agree that weather wise the fall is better than the spring. Why not push baseball and softball back 2-3 weeks? Why couldn't the season end the first week of June?
Because the top softball talent would forgo the HS season to play with their club teams. Love it or hate it, this would happen.

I believe that there should be 3 classes of HS Baseball. If there were, I could see some schools that do not currently have HS Baseball come onboard. Central City is a good example. They currently co-op HS baseball with Fullerton and Centura. The Centura school district is DCB in Legion Baseball. I could see DCB doing their own thing for HS Baseball if there were a Class C.

Yes, many of these HS teams will have to co-op, but let's remember that many of us are calling for these sports co-op relationships. Maybe baseball will stimulate some open communication between schools for the purpose of other sports co-op relationships.

NSAA will do nothing to disrupt Nebraska Legion Baseball. Nebraska is number 1 or 2 (depending on the year) in the nation for Legion Baseball participation. Legion Baseball needs to be left alone.

• Love
Reactions: mgbreis
Because the top softball talent would forgo the HS season to play with their club teams. Love it or hate it, this would happen.
I know what you are saying and agree to some extent but club softball is virtually year round. These girls play in the fall with their schools. If anything offer class C in the spring.

I know what you are saying and agree to some extent but club softball is virtually year round. These girls play in the fall with their schools. If anything offer class C in the spring.
There will never be a scenario where different classes are playing at different times of the year.

The Class C baseball proposal passed all 6 NSAA districts at the January meetings.

There are currently 39 teams in class B. It is already known that there will be 3 more teams in the non class A in 2023 when Class C begins. There are currently 3 teams west of GI that participate in baseball regardless of class. Maybe this provides an opportunity for some smaller schools in central and western Nebraska to put together a coop if they have boys wanting to play baseball.

All the schools that want class C are hoping for is an opportunity to compete in a more level playing field for districts and state. Almost every Class C team will play many class B schools regular season. It's hard for teams like Malcolm, Arlington, Adams Central to compete with teams like Elkhorn, Norris, and Beatrice come post season...mostly due to the pitching restricts that are in place...and in place for the correct reasons! Smaller schools naturally don't have the depth in pitching that the bigger schools have.

Reactions: mgbreis and Llama57
It's hard for teams like Malcolm, Arlington, Adams Central to compete with teams like Elkhorn, Norris, and Beatrice come post season
More like impossible. I don't know all the ins and outs of adding the third class but you'd like to see schools of a certain size have SOME chance for postseason success.

All this baseball talk is getting me fired up! March 17th can't come soon enough!

The Class C baseball proposal passed all 6 NSAA districts at the January meetings.

There are currently 39 teams in class B. It is already known that there will be 3 more teams in the non class A in 2023 when Class C begins. There are currently 3 teams west of GI that participate in baseball regardless of class. Maybe this provides an opportunity for some smaller schools in central and western Nebraska to put together a coop if they have boys wanting to play baseball.

All the schools that want class C are hoping for is an opportunity to compete in a more level playing field for districts and state. Almost every Class C team will play many class B schools regular season. It's hard for teams like Malcolm, Arlington, Adams Central to compete with teams like Elkhorn, Norris, and Beatrice come post season...mostly due to the pitching restricts that are in place...and in place for the correct reasons! Smaller schools naturally don't have the depth in pitching that the bigger schools have.
That and the Omaha/Lincoln suburban schools generally have access to year-round training and indoor facilities. They are way ahead of the game when the season starts as opposed to the non-Metro Class B schools.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
Club sports should be a zero factor when these decisions are made. Playing a sport year round represents a tiny minority of athletes for a reason. There is no reason for 4 sports in the fall and one in the spring for girls. We are just limiting opportunities for girls. Tons of softball girls would play volleyball if spring was softball and fall was volleyball. Just think how much better volleyball would be in "non A" schools. The more opportunities we can offer our students the better.

Club sports should be a zero factor when these decisions are made. Playing a sport year round represents a tiny minority of athletes for a reason. There is no reason for 4 sports in the fall and one in the spring for girls. We are just limiting opportunities for girls. Tons of softball girls would play volleyball if spring was softball and fall was volleyball. Just think how much better volleyball would be in "non A" schools. The more opportunities we can offer our students the better.
Spot on. And how much better softball would be for the "non A" schools.

Has any member school ever proposed softball for the spring?

Spot on. And how much better softball would be for the "non A" schools.

Has any member school ever proposed softball for the spring?
No - because like someone else mentioned, the weather is way worse in the spring than the fall. Why would they want that change? If I’m a softball coach and our admin asks me if we want to vote to change seasons - my answer is a hard pass.

Reactions: Llama57
No - because like someone else mentioned, the weather is way worse in the spring than the fall. Why would they want that change? If I’m a softball coach and our admin asks me if we want to vote to change seasons - my answer is a hard pass.
Hmm, interesting that you think the Nebraska coaches would be against it.

South Dakota does not offer state sponsored softball. Colorado does and offers it in the Fall. Iowa, as previously mentioned offers it in the Summer. Kansas, Missouri, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio all offer it in the Spring. I stopped checking when I got to Ohio but I think if those states all offer it in the spring Nebraska could offer it during that season and be just fine. Someone earlier mentioned in a previous post about club. I'm guessing that argument is mute as well if all these states are doing it in the spring. If anything I'm led to believe that Nebraska is on the outside looking in by having it be a fall sport. Is recruiting and exposure effected by having it in the fall?

I completely understand the weather concerns but isn't track done outside except maybe an early season indoor meet? If this cold weather is such a concern why is baseball in the spring?

For me it's not about the weather it's about giving athletes, especially at the class C level, an opportunity to play another team sport instead of choosing between volleyball. Volleyball and softball are arguably the two most popular team sports for girls and they go head to head.

If you ever coach softball in the spring let me know and I'll be the first to buy you hardwarmers. ;)

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Hmm, interesting that you think the Nebraska coaches would be against it.

South Dakota does not offer state sponsored softball.
SD is sanctioning in spring 2023 and the players parents I know from up that way are not happy.
Colorado does and offers it in the Fall. Iowa, as previously mentioned offers it in the Summer. Kansas, Missouri, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio all offer it in the Spring. I stopped checking when I got to Ohio but I think if those states all offer it in the spring Nebraska could offer it during that season and be just fine. Someone earlier mentioned in a previous post about club. I'm guessing that argument is mute as well if all these states are doing it in the spring. If anything I'm led to believe that Nebraska is on the outside looking in by having it be a fall sport. Is recruiting and exposure effected by having it in the fall?
No, there are coaches from about every power 10 conference at State SB in Hastings including every coach from every college in NE, SD, etc. Official softball recruiting starts on Sept 1 of a players Jr. year, so it's actually a very vital time.
I completely understand the weather concerns but isn't track done outside except maybe an early season indoor meet? If this cold weather is such a concern why is baseball in the spring?
1-It's a lot easier to get a track ready
2-It's a lot easier to get dirt base paths & a pitching mound playable than an entire softball infield. Grass sucks up a lot of moisture.
For me it's not about the weather it's about giving athletes, especially at the class C level, an opportunity to play another team sport instead of choosing between volleyball. Volleyball and softball are arguably the two most popular team sports for girls and they go head to head
Agree with this, but if C was in spring and A/B in the fall, the good C players would go play club instead of HS to prove themselves against more talented teams.
If you ever coach softball in the spring let me know and I'll be the first to buy you hardwarmers. ;)

Reactions: GoSkers3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT