ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Coaching changes

Shelstas was only there for 2 years, now they have to find both a boys and a girls coach. must be something in the water at that school.

Northstar Boys are looking for a new basketball coach

Hyannis girls looking for a new coach

Also I cant believe GACC would be looking for another new coach if that rumor is true.

that will be very interesting if in fact the rumor is true about Ries coming back, i wonder how that will all work out with the current administration they have there.

yes they have new AD's, let's just say that when he left it was for the better with all involved. if this is true it's going to be a strange situation in the hallways and on the court, but they may not have any other choices with needing two head coaches for roundball.

yes they have new AD's, let's just say that when he left it was for the better with all involved. if this is true it's going to be a strange situation in the hallways and on the court, but they may not have any other choices with needing two head coaches for roundball.
I guess I'm just naive to Norfolk or something that happened, but what's the situation that has plagued them recently that it seems is being talked about in this thread (without actually being talked about)? Unrealistic expectations? Unsupportive admin? -- genuinely curious because I don't know and Norfolk boys and girls both had good runs recently (nearing a decade ago though)

Terry O’Donnell will be the interim head coach for the 2022-23 season at Omaha Gross. My guess is he could eventually move into the AD role if Mike Dempsey retires after the 2023 school year. Gross created an assistant AD role this year and that is the position O’Donnell accepted.

Terry O’Donnell will be the interim head coach for the 2022-23 season at Omaha Gross. My guess is he could eventually move into the AD role if Mike Dempsey retires after the 2023 school year. Gross created an assistant AD role this year and that is the position O’Donnell accepted.

Gross has had a lot of openings this year.

Any chance Michael Etzelmiller takes over at Millard North? He's been an assistant there for several years.
I'm hearing he's a shoe in for the MN job. They've been grooming him for a few years for the HC position. He'd be excellent head coach, some even saying he'll be better than Cannon 😉.

Reactions: runningback43
I'm hearing he's a shoe in for the MN job. They've been grooming him for a few years for the HC position. He'd be excellent head coach, some even saying he'll be better than Cannon 😉.

I sure hope he gets the job. I don’t know what he’s like as a coach, but I can say this about him. He’s a great person.

Reactions: T...Chafes and TC53
osmond is down in numbers for boys i believe as is randolph for girls. it would help both out if they go together.

osmond is down in numbers for boys i believe as is randolph for girls. it would help both out if they go together.
They are 13 miles form each other, it needs to happen. There is no reason these schools should be standalone and playing sports with low numbers. Co-op or consolidate and be a big C2.

Same could be said with Creighton and Plainview. Bloomfield and Wausa. They need to come together.

They are 13 miles form each other, it needs to happen. There is no reason these schools should be standalone and playing sports with low numbers. Co-op or consolidate and be a big C2.

Same could be said with Creighton and Plainview. Bloomfield and Wausa. They need to come together.
confusing why so many are concerned about small districts that they do not even have kids going to, if these districts want to consolidate or share they will. This is the great thing about local control, they live there they decide Like it or not. I do not know any of these districts but I do know over 85% if not more of their funding comes from local money and should be up to them to decide They are the voters in that area. Just my two cents worth

confusing why so many are concerned about small districts that they do not even have kids going to, if these districts want to consolidate or share they will. This is the great thing about local control, they live there they decide Like it or not. I do not know any of these districts but I do know over 85% if not more of their funding comes from local money and should be up to them to decide They are the voters in that area. Just my two cents worth
Because I want schools to have healthy enrollments? Especially schools that are less than 15 miles away from one another? Consolidate your resources. 2022 life in rural Nebraska is way different than it was in 1992.

For example, (I don't know anything about their participation numbers) but I think it's crazy to play basketball with 15 kids out 9-12 when you could co-op with the school just 12 miles away and have 30 kids on your roster. Makes it easier on the coaching staff, I bet the kids get a long just fine as well.

Reactions: nenebskers
You also could have a student in District A that drives 15 miles to school on country roads. Now District A consolidates with District B which is only 13 miles farther. That student now drives 28 miles each way and he/she wishes to participate in multiple activities. That time adds up.

For example, my cousin went to Wheeler Central. He drove approximately 15 minutes to school then for his extracurricular activities took a bus to Chambers which took another 35 min or so each way and then drove 15 minutes home. He was on the road on practice days over an hour and a half. After a while, he asked himself if it was worth it or not. He had classmates who said it was not and therefore quit playing, which in turn hurt both parties involved.

Reactions: DonlugoQ
Because I want schools to have healthy enrollments? Especially schools that are less than 15 miles away from one another? Consolidate your resources. 2022 life in rural Nebraska is way different than it was in 1992.

For example, (I don't know anything about their participation numbers) but I think it's crazy to play basketball with 15 kids out 9-12 when you could co-op with the school just 12 miles away and have 30 kids on your roster. Makes it easier on the coaching staff, I bet the kids get a long just fine as well.
Having 30 on a basketball team is not easier to manage than having 15. You may have more options yes, but managing, no.

Reactions: GrizzzlyPanda
You also could have a student in District A that drives 15 miles to school on country roads. Now District A consolidates with District B which is only 13 miles farther. That student now drives 28 miles each way and he/she wishes to participate in multiple activities. That time adds up.

For example, my cousin went to Wheeler Central. He drove approximately 15 minutes to school then for his extracurricular activities took a bus to Chambers which took another 35 min or so each way and then drove 15 minutes home. He was on the road on practice days over an hour and a half. After a while, he asked himself if it was worth it or not. He had classmates who said it was not and therefore quit playing, which in turn hurt both parties involved.
Each of those districts will do what they feel is best for their students This is America and local votes still count and big government control is what you want?

Reactions: Yossarian23

That's life in a small town unfortunately. Takes a half hour+ to get some fast food or good shopping as well for a lot of folks in western NE.

With that said, my two oldest boys in Omaha went to a high school a half hour away (within Omaha) for athletics and academics. It's pretty common in Omaha to travel across the city when there are plenty of high schools much closer.

Reactions: northeastNebraska

While that could happen to a few select families, they could opt in to the closer district at that point.

I get it, Wheeler Central, Mullen, Cody-Kilgore, Ainsworth, etc. that is a completely different discussion compared to schools that are northeast of Norfolk, Columbus and Fremont.

Why is a school like Summerland a bad idea? IMO we need more schools like that.

Reactions: nenebskers
Each of those districts will do what they feel is best for their students This is America and local votes still count and big government control is what you want?
I hear you, but in the state where all anyone talks about is "LOWER TAXES!" all of these small schools are incredibly inefficient. I wish they had to share administrators or something.

I hear you, but in the state where all anyone talks about is "LOWER TAXES!" all of these small schools are incredibly inefficient. I wish they had to share administrators or something.
The people in those communities vote for any tax increase so they must want it. Lot to losing your school in a small town, once your school goes, so does several businesses in the next few years and the town dies fast, life doesnt always just get better because of consolidation

Reactions: Eagle3898
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT