ADVERTISEMENT

Ewing-Clearwater-Orchard consolidating in 2020 pending bond

The folks at Orchard always seem to be the ones kind of holding it up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they the ones that backed out of the Clearwater and Orchard unified district?

This is good for all three schools though.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
The folks at Orchard always seem to be the ones kind of holding it up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they the ones that backed out of the Clearwater and Orchard unified district?

This is good for all three schools though.
I've always kind of gotten the vibe that Clearwater was being sticks in the mud and Orchard was getting fed up. However, its pretty inconsequential. Everyone finally got on the right page and did what was right for the system's future.

http://norfolkdailynews.com/news/cl...cle_a0459a6a-39dc-11e9-a30a-9719ca433bd7.html

At last night's combined school board meeting, the three boards voted to:

1) Create a sports co-op for volleyball, girls and boys basketball, wrestling, boys golf, and boys and girls track, effective immediately

2) Consolidate the three districts effective June 4, 2020, contingent upon the passage of bond votes in all three districts

3) Approve using KSB Law Firm to proceed with a request for proposal for an architect and construction management at-risk company, and to direct school administration to begin selecting a financial agent

The Ewing and Clearwater boards passed all three measures unanimously. The Orchard board voted 5-1 for the co-op, 4-2 for consolidation and 6-0 for the building process.

In response to an audience member’s question, she (Candice Hoke, Orchard board president) said an informal survey showed that of 128 respondents, 43 were in favor of consolidation and building a new school, while 85 were opposed. The respondents represent about 17 percent of voters in Orchard.

Last edited:
I was looking square footage wise. Interesting. I’d assume the bond is for a new school in the middle of the three towns?
To be honest, I haven't heard specifically this go around. However, the last time these three were talking before breaking it off, it was going to be in the middle of the three. I believe somewhere near the the Summerland Golf Course road that comes off the Clearwater-Orchard cut across.

I have never been to either towns schools. Who has the bigger school?

Enrollment wise, using the latest figures from NSAA for high school enrollment:

Ewing - 34
Clearwater - 33
Orchard - 25

Per the Norfolk Daily News article linked above, according to the Nebraska Department of Education, Orchard is the 14th smallest district in the state, Ewing is 15th smallest and Clearwater is 22nd smallest.

The projected Pre-K through 12 enrollment for a Clearwater-Ewing-Orchard school in 2020-21 would be 291 students.

Last edited:
Enrollment wise, using the latest figures from NSAA for high school enrollment:

Ewing - 34
Clearwater - 33
Orchard - 25

Per the Norfolk Daily News article linked above, according to the Nebraska Department of Education, Orchard is the 14th smallest district in the state, Ewing is 15th smallest and Clearwater is 22nd smallest.

The projected Pre-K through 12 enrollment for a Clearwater-Ewing-Orchard school in 2020-21 would be 291 students.
If you combined all three schools numbers. They would have been D1 in football and the smallest C2 school in boys hoops.

If you combined all three schools numbers. They would have been D1 in football and the smallest C2 school in boys hoops.

The numbers above are combined boys-girls classifications. "Boys Only" for the three schools is as follows (out of 301 schools):

268. Clearwater - 18
278. Orchard - 15
286. Ewing - 13

Total: 46

Still, that's about the bottom-half to bottom-third of C2 in basketball

Where does the Summerland consolidation leave Chambers and Wheeler Central without Ewing? They would have to go down to 6 man if not try to coop elsewhere. Who else is out there for them to go with?

As I said in an earlier post, Allen, Emerson-Hubbard, and Wakefield will likely all be leaving the 8-man ranks in 2020. Throw in Clearwater-Orchard into that group as well as possibly Chambers-Wheeler Central.

Where does the Summerland consolidation leave Chambers and Wheeler Central without Ewing? They would have to go down to 6 man if not try to coop elsewhere. Who else is out there for them to go with?

As I said in an earlier post, Allen, Emerson-Hubbard, and Wakefield will likely all be leaving the 8-man ranks in 2020. Throw in Clearwater-Orchard into that group as well as possibly Chambers-Wheeler Central.
To me Chambers needs to go with O’Neill since they didn’t get included in the Summerland consolidation.

Bartlett should go south to Greeley or west to Burwell? Or dissolve the district and have the kids go where they want.

I’m excited to see the potential of more 11 man teams in northeast Nebraska.

http://norfolkdailynews.com/select/...cle_08ee30bc-c4e4-11e9-a518-1be0329a9395.html

The Clearwater, Ewing and Orchard school boards unanimously approved entering into a purchase agreement for 40 acres of land near the intersection of 513 Ave and 857 Road as the site for a future school. The purchase is contingent on passage of a bond issue in all three school districts.

The site is centrally located, being six miles south of Orchard, seven miles east of Ewing and seven miles northwest of Clearwater.

The land was sold at a price of $5,552 per acre, or just over $222,000.

Board members saw concepts of a new multi-level facility with a projected cost of $34.2 million to build. A single-level facility with separate elementary and high school wings was estimated at $35.6 million.

In order to have a common tax levy for the potential new school district, proportional valuations would need to be implemented. The Orchard district's ballot would ask for a bond of $15.1 million, Clearwater's would be $10.1 million and Ewing's bond ballot would ask for $9.75 million.

Summerland.jpg

Last edited:
http://norfolkdailynews.com/select/...cle_08ee30bc-c4e4-11e9-a518-1be0329a9395.html

The Clearwater, Ewing and Orchard school boards unanimously approved entering into a purchase agreement for 40 acres of land near the intersection of 513 Ave and 857 Road as the site for a future school. The purchase is contingent on passage of a bond issue in all three school districts.

The site is centrally located, being six miles south of Orchard, seven miles east of Ewing and seven miles northwest of Clearwater.

The land was sold at a price of $5,552 per acre, or just over $222,000.

Board members saw concepts of a new multi-level facility with a projected cost of $34.2 million to build. A single-level facility with separate elementary and high school wings was estimated at $35.6 million.

In order to have a common tax levy for the potential new school district, proportional valuations would need to be implemented. The Orchard district's ballot would ask for a bond of $15.1 million, Clearwater's would be $10.1 million and Ewing's bond ballot would ask for $9.75 million.

Summerland.jpg
Major news. When is the vote? This would be very beneficial for all three communities. Even could pull kids towards the new school from other communities.

Reactions: goskers07
Major news. When is the vote? This would be very beneficial for all three communities. Even could pull kids towards the new school from other communities.

November 12 is the date of the vote in all three districts. It likely will be a vote by mail, with ballots mailed to every registered voter who lives in all three districts.

Its going to be quite the facility if they pull it off like that. I'll be curious to see how the bond vote goes. Hell, just have a turf field will put them in the higher end of schools of that size.
They’ll be one of the only few in northeast/north central area that has a turf field.

-Boone Central
-Norfolk/Catholic
-Humphrey/HSF
-Columbus High/Scotus
-Fremont/Bergan
-Wayne (play at WSC)
-Winnebago
-Hartington

Reactions: goskers07
I think most in the area are in agreement that they need to work together.....the kicker will be if they can pass a bond for a $34 million facility.
Man it seems like perfect time to try for it. This would be a sustainable school for a long time. Bet they could pull some country kids west of Elgin, Neligh. Chambers kids east of 281.

Hartington has field turf? WHAT is the reason for the naming of this coop, where other then the golf course does summerland fit in.

Cool, but a waste of money. They'll be in the same position of being short on kids in 10 more years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT