ADVERTISEMENT

Football Fall sports scheduled to start on time

Did the NSAA clarify this bullet point today?

- keep all activities, practices, and scrimmages in-house to avoid interaction with other teams

I assume that was a (strange) request that school don't use the remaining 11 days of the summer period to attend team camps, etc... Weird because that's where we started on June 1 and then the NSAA/state started moving to add other activity actions before the first were tried out. Seems like now they wish they could take those changes back? Maybe they felt pressured by state (and NU) to make the changes they did? Just weird.

I ask if they clarified because I got a cancel notice on a team camp today saying that NSAA ruling made that necessary. The wording of the original release did not make it sound like a ruling: " it is a recommendation of the NSAA that schools should"

- keep all activities, practices, and scrimmages in-house to avoid interaction with other teams

I assume that was a (strange) request that school don't use the remaining 11 days of the summer period to attend team camps, etc... Weird because that's where we started on June 1 and then the NSAA/state started moving to add other activity actions before the first were tried out. Seems like now they wish they could take those changes back? Maybe they felt pressured by state (and NU) to make the changes they did? Just weird.

I ask if they clarified because I got a cancel notice on a team camp today saying that NSAA ruling made that necessary. The wording of the original release did not make it sound like a ruling: " it is a recommendation of the NSAA that schools should"

After the meetings they've started holding across the state concerning football, and then this announcement, I believe it's just a recommendation.

It would appear that some camps are following the recommendation and are cancelling. Social media is also showing me that some appear to be still taking place...but I might be seeing images from last week the precede this recommendation going public.

And maybe I'm completely wrong and it's really a directive.

Reactions: TC53

I originally read the whole thing as addressing fall sports, but one of our coaches asked me the same thing, if that bullet point meant we shouldn't go to whatever camps, scrimmages, etc. we might have had scheduled the rest of the summer. So to answer your question, I honestly don't know...

Thanks. Glad to see I wasn't the only one scratching my head. Chalk up one more for a weird, weird year. Hang in there. Be safe. Let's play games if we can. I know I will appreciate them more than ever when they are back.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
The following states are still playing high school football this fall, sorted by start date of first games

August 13
Utah

August 20
Alaska
Indiana
North Dakota
South Dakota
Tennessee

August 21
Alabama

August 23
Arkansas

August 27
Florida
Idaho
Iowa
Michigan
Montana
Nebraska
Texas
Wyoming

August 28
Minnesota
Missouri
Ohio
Oklahoma
Vermont

September 3
West Virginia

September 4
Georgia
Kansas
Louisiana
Maine
Mississippi
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania

September 7
Arizona

September 8
Massachusetts

September 10
Connecticut

September 11
Kentucky
South Carolina
Rhode Island

September 21
New York

September 23
Wisconsin

October 2
New Jersey

Spring Football
California
District of Columbia
Illinois
New Mexico
Nevada
Virginia
Washington

No Status Yet
Colorado
Delaware
Hawaii
Maryland
North Carolina
Oregon

Last edited:
Good info
which means 75% are starting on time
12% are going to spring and 14% have not decided
+or- 1%

The following states are still playing high school football this fall, sorted by start date of first games

August 13
Utah

August 20
Alaska
Indiana
North Dakota
South Dakota
Tennessee

August 21
Alabama

August 23
Arkansas

August 27
Florida
Idaho
Iowa
Michigan
Montana
Nebraska
Texas
Wyoming

August 28
Minnesota
Missouri
Ohio
Oklahoma
Vermont

September 3
Vermont

September 4
Georgia
Kansas
Louisiana
Maine
Mississippi
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania

September 7
Arizona

September 8
Massachusetts

September 10
Connecticut

September 11
Kentucky
South Carolina
Rhode Island

September 21
New York

September 23
Wisconsin

October 2
New Jersey

Spring Football
California
District of Columbia
New Mexico
Nevada
Virginia
Washington

No Status Yet
Colorado
Delaware
Hawaii
Illinois
Maryland
North Carolina
Oregon

Softball and VB are approved to move ahead as scheduled. XC as well, though recommending Class A go back to two district sites for this year only. Also possible that XC meets have staggered starts with chip timing and widening of courses.

Fall sports guidelines from the NSAA

https://nsaa-static.s3.amazonaws.com/textfile/covid/2020FallGuidance.pdf

The football specific rules are below, other sports may be found at the link above:

2020 NSAA Football COVID-19 Modifications

NSAA Approved Rulings

- Practice may begin on Monday, August 10th, first contests may begin on Thursday, August 27th (schools with Week #0 games may begin practice Wednesday, August 5th and first games on Friday, August 21st)

- Adjustments to the regular season and post-season will be considered and implemented if deemed necessary

- Schools will notify the NSAA of any game cancellations within twenty-four hours of the decision

- Schools are solely responsible for determining whether a scheduled game is canceled due to a COVID-19 related issue in consultation with their local health departments

- The NSAA will maintain an up-to-date list of schools with open dates and replacement games on the NSAA website

- Regularly scheduled games cancelled due to COVID-19 related issues will be counted as a "No Contest"; forfeits will not be issued and wildcard points will not be awarded

- Schools have the authority to schedule a replacement game if another school is available. Only the results of regularly-scheduled games scheduled prior to the start of the season will be used to calculate wildcard points

NFHS Game Protocols
- Schools are encouraged to used 5-man officiating crews whenever possible at regularly scheduled varsity games. If a 5-man crew is not available, the game may be played with any number of officials upon mutual agreement of the opposing coaches. All regularly scheduled varsity games must use NSAA registered officials.

- If a replacement game is scheduled, any number of officials may be used upon mutual agreement of the opposing coaches. The use of NSAA registered officials is recommended. The use of non-registered officials is permitted.

- Players, coaches, officials and all game administration staff should sanitize their hands before, during and after the game.

- Face coverings are permissible for officials, players, coaches, staff and game administration

- The team box may be extended to the 10-yard line (PLAYERS ONLY)

- Players should maintain physical distancing on the sideline whenever possible

- Players should not share towels, water bottles or other equipment

- The ball should be cleaned/sanitized periodically throughout the contest

- Plastic shields covering the entire face are prohibited

- "Splash Guards" that are integrated into the face mask, attached to the helmet and are completely clear are permitted

- A single charged time-out may be extended to a maximum of two minutes

- The authorized conference for the charged time-out should take place between the 9-yard marks and not at the sideline for physical distancing purposes. More than one coach is allowed in the conference and technology can be used.

- Intermission may be extended to a maximum of two minutes in the following situations: between the first and second periods, between the third and fourth periods, following a PAT, successful field goal or safety prior to the succeeding free kick.

- Electronic whistles are permitted but not mandatory

- Participants in the coin toss will be limited to the referee, umpire and one designee from each team. All participants must move to an area to maintain physical distancing

- There will be no hand shaking during postgame

Last edited:
I imagine the NSAA 'guidelines' will have more staying power than the governor's softball/baseball 'guidelines' from June. Other than no handshakes, those were gone as soon as tournaments started, at least at the softball I was at.

I imagine the NSAA 'guidelines' will have more staying power than the governor's softball/baseball 'guidelines' from June. Other than no handshakes, those were gone as soon as tournaments started, at least at the softball I was at.
The guidelines were a mess. Original ones for June 1 & 18. Then DHMs opening up more that all superceded the others. Wish the state or NSAA would just come out with easy rules to follow

Reactions: TC53
The guidelines were a mess. Original ones for June 1 & 18. Then DHMs opening up more that all superceded the others. Wish the state or NSAA would just come out with easy rules to follow
Your own governor and all state officials wont do a thing but let blame the NSAA

The people that will complain the most are the same people that have complained about their rights being trampled by mask requirements and other potentially helpful restrictions. To these people I say, I hope your trips to the bar and out to eat this summer are a comfort to you and your kids while they are sitting at home. People had the chance to be proactive and complained and whined about the restrictions. Welcome to a little thing called “consequences”.

To be clear, I feel horrible for the students. These decisions are supposed to be made by people with their best interests in mind but somehow health and safety became political and people picked sides based on party allegiance as opposed to science and reason. How’s that working out for you now?

I have a type 1 diabetic son. Was diagnosed when he was 2. His risk of dying from influenza is still greater than Covid. Mortality still higher for influenza in age group 0-24 than Covid. Influenza has a vaccine and a therapeutic option and still higher mortality than Covid . Last year and early flu season this year not one person cared about masking up and social distancing at schools or sports for my son or any other high risk child. So why we all worried about it now?The lack of facts, the media representation , and the BS associated with Covid is destroying our society. It’s a very sad day. I feel sorry for the OPS student athletes. This has nothing to do with getting sick. People get sick. 56 million cases of swine flu in 2009. Not one school closed. It’s pathetic and sad. Masking or staying locked in a basement all summer wasn’t changing anything. People are living in fear and now those same people are taking it out on our kids and their education. No reason kids in OPS can’t be in school and do sports. I don’t believe their has been one transmission of Covid to an adult from anyone under 18? Maybe it has changed but as of last week it was 0! Kids are not super spreaders of this virus. That’s a fact!I hope people fight like they never have before for their kids in the OPS school system!

I have a type 1 diabetic son. Was diagnosed when he was 2. His risk of dying from influenza is still greater than Covid. Mortality still higher for influenza in age group 0-24 than Covid. Influenza has a vaccine and a therapeutic option and still higher mortality than Covid . Last year and early flu season this year not one person cared about masking up and social distancing at schools or sports for my son or any other high risk child. So why we all worried about it now?The lack of facts, the media representation , and the BS associated with Covid is destroying our society. It’s a very sad day. I feel sorry for the OPS student athletes. This has nothing to do with getting sick. People get sick. 56 million cases of swine flu in 2009. Not one school closed. It’s pathetic and sad. Masking or staying locked in a basement all summer wasn’t changing anything. People are living in fear and now those same people are taking it out on our kids and their education. No reason kids in OPS can’t be in school and do sports. I don’t believe their has been one transmission of Covid to an adult from anyone under 18? Maybe it has changed but as of last week it was 0! Kids are not super spreaders of this virus. That’s a fact!I hope people fight like they never have before for their kids in the OPS school system!
Oh my this is what is wrong and you do not even see it, a quarter of million people will die of covid in the USA in one years time but because you can not see that is why OPS is shut down and your facts are so far from the truth it is not even funny

Reactions: nenebskers
Oh my this is what is wrong and you do not even see it, a quarter of million people will die of covid in the USA in one years time but because you can not see that is why OPS is shut down and your facts are so far from the truth it is not even funny

go look it up on cdc website. Age group 0-24 influenza and pneumonia still have higher mortality rate than Covid. Believe me I have a high risk kid. I check my facts and understand it completely and I know all the risks. The risk is low for kids. OPS should be playing sports and in school. I would say show me where I’m wrong but you won’t find it. Covid not as deadly as influenza in the United States

go look it up on cdc website. Age group 0-24 influenza and pneumonia still have higher mortality rate than Covid. Believe me I have a high risk kid. I check my facts and understand it completely and I know all the risks. The risk is low for kids. OPS should be playing sports and in school. I would say show me where I’m wrong but you won’t find it. Covid not as deadly as influenza in the United States
The swine flu facts are accurate as well. Go look it up before you tell me I’m wrong. Don’t reply unless you know and you don’t. Please prove me wrong on what I said and I’ll exit the the thread. You won’t be able to. I don’t want some BS news article either. I want data from CDC proving me wrong

Ok I will start with this Covid death risk among 0-24 is lower but if they get the flu and spread it to others the average deaths in the USA per a year is 54000, if they get covid and spread it the average deaths from covid (and take in mind this is with everything we are trying to do to stop the spread) in one years time will be a quarter of a million people in the USA. Yes those kids could go back to school at the risk of killing teachers, parents, grand parents and other family members. With no restrictions like we do with influenza( and mind you influezena has a vaccine so the vulnerable can take precautions and get vaccinated) covid death deaths would over a million people. The idea is to slow the spread not to overwhelm the hospitals and slow the spread until we get a vaccine. Once we get a vaccine we will be back to normal because those at high risk can take a precaution to covid. The problem with you as most snowflakes is you care only for you and your family and do not care that the consequences of your actions or others have killed 150 thousands people so far. Once we get a vaccine we will mark covid like the flue as 40 to 60 thousands deaths a year and a part of life, but until then we are trying to prevent a million deaths. People want to claim their liberties is why they wont comply to help others , but the truth they just dont care, The USA is considered the leading country in the medical field and compared to most all have facilities that 100 times better than almost anyone but yet we have higher numbers in cases and deaths than almost all third world counties because we are also the most selfish and uncaring for fellow man country in the world

On December 10, 2009, the CDC reported an estimated 50 million Americans or 1 in 6 people had been infected with the 2009 A H1N1 Virus and 10,000 Americans had died, by which time the vaccine was beginning to be widely distributed to the general public by several states
forgot one major difference between swine flue and covid there buddy

A large new study from South Korea offers an answer: Children younger than 10 transmit to others much less often than adults do, but the risk is not zero. And those between the ages of 10 and 19 can spread the virus at least as well as adults do.whoops your wrong again

Last edited:
Please share link to South Korea article. Would like to see it.

So why is influenza deaths among 0-24 still higher than Covid when influenza has a vaccine and has a therapeutic treatment option? Sorry but vaccine not 100% saves from getting anything. People still get the flu and everything else with vaccines. My point is people will get sick. People will always get sick. We just can’t shut down our world over fear. Car accidents happen every day and people die. It’s sad. Yet we don’t just stop telling people they can’t drive. We have to get to a point where we adapt and live with this. We obviously agree to disagree. Beauty of America. Just sad that fear has taken over for a virus that has a a very high recovery rate.

we can’t assume that everyone that contracts this is going to die. Just like saying everyone that gets influenza is going to die. It’s not going to happen. As far as elderly and adults. It’s really no different than the last 200 years. If your sick you stay home or stay away from people. But we can’t continue to have our society in a state of panic. Have to adapt and move forward without being scared.

send that article if you get a chance. Would really like to take a look at it

Please share link to South Korea article. Would like to see it.

So why is influenza deaths among 0-24 still higher than Covid when influenza has a vaccine and has a therapeutic treatment option? Sorry but vaccine not 100% saves from getting anything. People still get the flu and everything else with vaccines. My point is people will get sick. People will always get sick. We just can’t shut down our world over fear. Car accidents happen every day and people die. It’s sad. Yet we don’t just stop telling people they can’t drive. We have to get to a point where we adapt and live with this. We obviously agree to disagree. Beauty of America. Just sad that fear has taken over for a virus that has a a very high recovery rate.

we can’t assume that everyone that contracts this is going to die. Just like saying everyone that gets influenza is going to die. It’s not going to happen. As far as elderly and adults. It’s really no different than the last 200 years. If your sick you stay home or stay away from people. But we can’t continue to have our society in a state of panic. Have to adapt and move forward without being scared.

send that article if you get a chance. Would really like to take a look at it
The study is linked and you are very very bad at math and dont even get your new argument is displayed zero facts or anything

Grand Island won't start football practice until Aug 24. One coach tested positive and another in quarantine for contact. First game v Kearney on Aug 28 will have to be postponed. Game 2 v Pius probably?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT