ADVERTISEMENT

Football Fall sports scheduled to start on time

Yeah, if OPS isn't playing they are going to have to do something. And Grand Island may lose a game or two as well.
Norfolk will have to find three new games. They have South, Benson, Bryan. Also Westside on the schedule

Columbus has Omaha Central and Northwest

Fremont has Benson, North and South

If HS football is played, new schedules have to be made IMO.

Norfolk will have to find three new games. They have South, Benson, Bryan. Also Westside on the schedule

Columbus has Omaha Central and Northwest

Fremont has Benson, North and South

If HS football is played, new schedules have to be made IMO.

Westside is not part of OPS, but yeah, Class A is a mess right now.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Broken Bow suspended school and all practices yesterday when a teacher tested positive. After contact tracing was completed the suspension was lifted yesterday evening.

Broken Bow suspended school and all practices yesterday when a teacher tested positive. After contact tracing was completed the suspension was lifted yesterday evening.

Plainview had a similar incident. The superintendent tested positive and exposed several teachers at staff training. The school called off athletics and pushed back the start of the school year to Aug. 21.

Looks like the SSC contact was traced back to Aug 4 (player with positive test last attended conditioning work that day), so the two-week pause will end August 18 and they will not postpone/cancel their opener. I think they open with Sioux City North.

Plainview had a similar incident. The superintendent tested positive and exposed several teachers at staff training. The school called off athletics and pushed back the start of the school year to Aug. 21.
If all the staff were wearing masks, the health dept would have not even considered it an exposure & moved on. Very irresponsible move for a staff training rolling the dice like that. I'd be pissed as a parent.
Not a political post at all either, I'd assume if all were wearing masks, there wouldn't have been the large number of staff having to quarantine per the health depts reccomendations.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
If all the staff were wearing masks, the health dept would have not even considered it an exposure & moved on. Very irresponsible move for a staff training rolling the dice like that. I'd be pissed as a parent.
Not a political post at all either, I'd assume if all were wearing masks, there wouldn't have been the large number of staff having to quarantine per the health depts reccomendations.

Norfolk Daily News article said the likely exposure happened at lunch. Probably shouldn't have been that many, that close, but doesn't necessarily mean they were maskless outside of this time while eating.

https://norfolkdailynews.com/news/p...cle_7db7a0aa-de6e-11ea-b4bd-8f4d58ef8824.html

Broken Bow has three more teachers test positive. The high school closed. Activities continue and masks will now be required at school.

Norfolk Daily News article said the likely exposure happened at lunch. Probably shouldn't have been that many, that close, but doesn't necessarily mean they were maskless outside of this time while eating.

https://norfolkdailynews.com/news/p...cle_7db7a0aa-de6e-11ea-b4bd-8f4d58ef8824.html

Kind of naive to think though any possible spread was just over lunch though. If the super was positive and no one was wearing mask, he was spreading it pretty much all throughout the facility.

It also says he came into direct contact during meetings. Unless the story is written wrong, which is a possibility. I believe my health dept. says "direct contact" is 6' or less for 15 min. or more when neither is wearing a mask. It just sucks for all. Unfortunately, I think this is going to be a common theme for a while....

Kind of naive to think though any possible spread was just over lunch though. If the super was positive and no one was wearing mask, he was spreading it pretty much all throughout the facility.

I guess I read the mention of lunch as the time period where both proximity and non-masking were most likely to lead to the close contact.

The schools I've been familiar with, outside of lunch, masks and/or 6+-feet of spacing is the norm.

I guess I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, that they were not running around maskless and in close proximity if they're going to turn around and ask the kids not to do the same a day or two later.

It also says he came into direct contact during meetings. Unless the story is written wrong, which is a possibility. I believe my health dept. says "direct contact" is 6' or less for 15 min. or more when neither is wearing a mask. It just sucks for all. Unfortunately, I think this is going to be a common theme for a while....

His quote also said that he only felt like he was under 6-feet for more than 15-minutes during lunch.

Again, like I said to Alum-ni, I'm presuming they're doing like other schools, and following the guidelines they're prescribing to the kids during their beginning meetings. Could my presumption be wrong? Absolutely.

Frankly, I've been surprised in these articles with Broken Bow and Plainview, that they've mentioned that masks are NOW required. Meaning that they were only recommended before? Or meaning that they were only required when social distancing was not possible and now they're required in all situations? If it's the former, then my presumption is probably wrong.

Reactions: Llama57
His quote also said that he only felt like he was under 6-feet for more than 15-minutes during lunch.

Again, like I said to Alum-ni, I'm presuming they're doing like other schools, and following the guidelines they're prescribing to the kids during their beginning meetings. Could my presumption be wrong? Absolutely.

Frankly, I've been surprised in these articles with Broken Bow and Plainview, that they've mentioned that masks are NOW required. Meaning that they were only recommended before? Or meaning that they were only required when social distancing was not possible and now they're required in all situations? If it's the former, then my presumption is probably wrong.

There are A LOT of school districts in the state right now where masks are encouraged, but not required.

There are stories of parents pulling kids out of school districts because of mask mandates.

There are A LOT of school districts in the state right now where masks are encouraged, but not required.

There are stories of parents pulling kids out of school districts because of mask mandates.
I'd assume those parents will put those kids back into the "mask" schools when the maskless ones close for 2 weeks or longer?

I'd assume those parents will put those kids back into the "mask" schools when the maskless ones close for 2 weeks or longer?

What's ridiculous is that all of these "maskless" schools have plans in place to require masks and will do so once their is an outbreak at their school, which is bound to happen.

Reactions: MacMan92

I guess I was living in my own little bubble down here near the metro, and I assumed we were the norm. I also talked to someone in person that said the same. I had no idea it was that out of the norm. I knew some areas are on to the 4th phase, but figured masking when social distancing is impractical was common.

I’ve said this before, but I’m not sure when this all became political. How does science become a Red or Blue issue? It’s pretty simple.

Wear a mask.

Stay away from situations that either don’t allow for social distancing or are filled with people not wearing masks.

If you are unable to make these small sacrifices, and I use that word loosely because it’s not really a major sacrifice, you are part of the problem. In the end you will be the reason our kids don’t get to have a season. As is the often the case with HS sports, it’s adults who should know better that cause the problems not the kids.

I’ve said this before, but I’m not sure when this all became political. How does science become a Red or Blue issue? It’s pretty simple.

Wear a mask.

Stay away from situations that either don’t allow for social distancing or are filled with people not wearing masks.

If you are unable to make these small sacrifices, and I use that word loosely because it’s not really a major sacrifice, you are part of the problem. In the end you will be the reason our kids don’t get to have a season. As is the often the case with HS sports, it’s adults who should know better that cause the problems not the kids.
I agree with you and to be honest I will bet you schools west of Lincoln are not all wearing a mask and the farther you get west the more common it is that they are not wearing a mask

As a follow-up: https://omaha.com/sports/high-schoo...cle_ef152361-0213-584c-86d8-ba716accb534.html

Grand Island Superintendent Tawana Grover said: "Adjustments have to be made in these uncertain times. Decision made (sic) to be a partner with our community to help reduce community spread. We want to reduce the amount of people traveling from town to town within the state at this time. We thank the visiting schools' families for understanding."

The school said its cross country meet at Centura Hills Golf Course in Cairo will also be fanless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT