ADVERTISEMENT

Football Participation

Power_I_82

Freshman
Jan 15, 2019
Just wondering about what people see at other schools. Watching film on a few schools out west it looks like some pretty good sized 8 man schools having numbers troubles. Hemingford and Bayard for example look to have less than 15-16 kids suited up. Morrill as well. We all know about Kimball's trouble too. My question is, what does everyone see for participation percentage in their schools. We have always been pretty fortunate to get 90% or better out. I've been places where that wasn't the case. I am assuming the schools listed above and many others might be less than 50%. Is that something others are seeing around the state. I realize tradition plays into this, but Hemingford was winning titles not long ago.

Reactions: indians1550
38 on varsity for the Class B school I help out with here and there. Not sure on those who don't suit up for varsity (in this case, it's just the freshmen who don't).

It seems like there are more boys running cross country this year. I’ve been to meets with 125-150 boys in the field. About twice the number of girls.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
My son plays for a 6 man school in southwest Nebraska. We have just under 50% participation from boys in the school. Of the 12-14 boys that aren’t out the good news (or bad) is that only one or two should be out. What I mean by that is that they are athletic and would see playing time and would help the team. The bad news is, it’s only going to get worse as long as the NSAA continues to allow schools to drop down in class (11 man to 8 or 8 to 6) when they have an unfair numbers advantage. Now schools with 60 plus boys can get their 22 best out for football and compete in 8 man against schools with 28 total boys in school, 16 of which play football and only 4 of those that can compete at the level of the school with 60 plus boys. More and more kids get discouraged and end up not playing.

I’m confused
The D-1 8-man class ranges from 47 down to 37 per NSAA classifications
So where do you get 60+ to 28?

I’m confused
The D-1 8-man class ranges from 47 down to 37 per NSAA classifications
So where do you get 60+ to 28?
I think he’s talking about the Class C schools dropping down to 8-man. Madison comes to mind but I don’t think that has proven to be an advantage for them.

My son plays for a 6 man school in southwest Nebraska. We have just under 50% participation from boys in the school. Of the 12-14 boys that aren’t out the good news (or bad) is that only one or two should be out. What I mean by that is that they are athletic and would see playing time and would help the team. The bad news is, it’s only going to get worse as long as the NSAA continues to allow schools to drop down in class (11 man to 8 or 8 to 6) when they have an unfair numbers advantage. Now schools with 60 plus boys can get their 22 best out for football and compete in 8 man against schools with 28 total boys in school, 16 of which play football and only 4 of those that can compete at the level of the school with 60 plus boys. More and more kids get discouraged and end up not playing.
For Some schools they have no option but to Opt Down. You have schools where (Just like you are pointing out) maybe they have 11 or 12 boys that are even willing to go out for football. Some schools are going to have to consider it this next cycle because they are having to forfeit their season away (Kimball is a good example, don't know if they will though).

There are some schools that shouldn't be able to opt down due to they just aren't that competitive. I can only think of a couple that are this way as most are in the situation mentioned above.

Anybody have a number on the ineligible teams in D1?
2021 Playoff Ineligible Teams

CLASS B

South Sioux City

CLASS C1
Nebraska City
Schuyler

CLASS C2
Valentine

CLASS D1
Conestoga
Madison
Palmyra
Wakefield

=============================

2021 Mid-Cycle Eligible Teams

CLASS C2

Gibbon
Gordon-Rushville

CLASS D1
Ravenna

CLASS D6
Franklin
Harvard

==============================

2021 Eligible Teams in 2-Year Exemption Period

CLASS D1

Ainsworth
Amherst
Arcadia/Loup City
Atkinson West Holt
Lutheran High Northeast
Nebraska Christian
Tri County
Wisner-Pilger

CLASS D6
Deshler
McCool Junction
Silver Lake

For Some schools they have no option but to Opt Down. You have schools where (Just like you are pointing out) maybe they have 11 or 12 boys that are even willing to go out for football. Some schools are going to have to consider it this next cycle because they are having to forfeit their season away (Kimball is a good example, don't know if they will though).

There are some schools that shouldn't be able to opt down due to they just aren't that competitive. I can only think of a couple that are this way as most are in the situation mentioned above.
I’ve heard Sutton will be 8-man next year?

Just wondering about what people see at other schools. Watching film on a few schools out west it looks like some pretty good sized 8 man schools having numbers troubles. Hemingford and Bayard for example look to have less than 15-16 kids suited up. Morrill as well. We all know about Kimball's trouble too. My question is, what does everyone see for participation percentage in their schools. We have always been pretty fortunate to get 90% or better out. I've been places where that wasn't the case. I am assuming the schools listed above and many others might be less than 50%. Is that something others are seeing around the state. I realize tradition plays into this, but Hemingford was winning titles not long ago.
I remember in 1977 Kimball was a Class B School !!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT