ADVERTISEMENT

Future co-ops/consolidations

northeastNebraska

All-State
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2008
Highway 30
Discussion I’m having with a friend. As we see decreasing enrollment throughout the state in rural areas. What schools could you see co-oping or consolidating in the next 5-10 years? A few schools we discussed...

SEM: SEM is geographically challenged. West isn’t an option to Callaway. I can’t see Amherst bringing them in with Kearney’s growth. Amherst will want it all in Amherst. North to Ansley? Doubt it. Or at the end of the day, do kids head to Amherst, Elm Creek or Ansley?

Keya Paha County: Keya Paha has to have some of the lowest numbers in the state. Obviously they are co-oping with North Central and it has been successful, but how long will the school in Springview remain open? Will kids eventually head to Bassett or Ainsworth?

Red Cloud: Red Cloud as a community seems to be growing, could they pull in Franklin? Or would they go north to Blue Hill?

Franklin: Lack of success in every sport. Have to imagine a lot of kids are leaving the district right?

Hi-Line: This co-op will be interesting to follow, if the elder guard can stay out of it and the kids are successful and like one another, could this become a full consolidation?

Wallace: Wallace is still holding on, but how much longer will they be able to? They don't have a lot of great options with HC going to Maywood.

The problem is simple, most of the teams that are looking at coops are teams playing 8-man and that are struggling to win games or even field a team. But if you you join with another school who is probably also struggling the two schools number push them over into C2 and now they would have to play 11-man. The problem is the 8-man number is to low.

The problem is simple, most of the teams that are looking at coops are teams playing 8-man and that are struggling to win games or even field a team. But if you you join with another school who is probably also struggling the two schools number push them over into C2 and now they would have to play 11-man. The problem is the 8-man number is to low.

Couple that with schools refusing to play 6 man and now we’ve arrived at our current predicament. Looking at enrollment numbers there should probably be 45 plus 6 man teams but for some unknown reason schools would rather risk a season of playing kids not ready for varsity and potential forfeits than make the logical choice to play 6 man and perhaps allow their players at least a chance for a modicum of success.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Couple that with schools refusing to play 6 man and now we’ve arrived at our current predicament. Looking at enrollment numbers there should probably be 45 plus 6 man teams but for some unknown reason schools would rather risk a season of playing kids not ready for varsity and potential forfeits than make the logical choice to play 6 man and perhaps allow their players at least a chance for a modicum of success.
6-man is great for schools that don't have choice but it so far removed from regular football, it really is a completely different game and some just do not want that

6-man is great for schools that don't have choice but it so far removed from regular football, it really is a completely different game and some just do not want that
Agree. 6 man is good for some schools who are geographically challenged like Cody-Kilgore, Hyannis, Sioux County, Wallace.
But why is Sterling playing 6 man? Why aren’t the co-oping with Freeman?

Schools need to make the decision of either dropping to six man, or co-op with someone else.

Reactions: runningback43
Blue Hill and Red Cloud co-opped JH football for several years but I think RC stopped that when they got their numbers back up. They also co-op XC I think.

Blue Hill offered to co-op softball with RC and Silver Lake when they started the program but got no takers.

They've had a relationship, but the vibe I get now is that RC thinks they are on solid footing on their own. Not sure their valuation-base, but it is probably stronger than BH's. Blue Hill has had the better student numbers, but their valuation base doesn't make them a consolidation draw, especially to wealthy Silver Lake.

The tough decision to move down to six man should be about allowing your kids a chance to compete! At Potter-Dix our last cycle of 8-man was tough as both years we only had 13 players. In the first year we had more upperclassmen who had dedicated themselves to the weight room and being the best they could be and we avoided injuries and did well, making the playoffs with a team picked to win one or two games. The second year we were a young team that had not had the time in the weight room yet and injuries made getting through games and the season a challenge. We then had a meeting and discussed our upcoming numbers and if we wanted to give our kids the opportunity to compete, six man was our best option. We have struggled to break into the win column for various reasons (had to forfeit a six man game our first year due to injuries and other circumstances) but it has been a great move for our district.

You do though have a very good relationship with your future wife and that is all that matters. sell sell sell.

Touché my friend! What time can you be here to take advantage of our great end of the month/year deals!?

Link: https://www.antelopecountynews.com/...4B9-eJRYBTUBp416AyN-YtZh_qCA5RYkh8MgpEsnfQ5DU

Updated on the Summerland project:

- the Clearwater, Orchard and Ewing districts will cease to exist on June 5 with the state approving the consolidation vote of the three districts. On that date, the Summerland district will come into existence

- ground will be broken on the new school facility this spring with an estimated timeline of 16 months for construction, which would make it the 2021-22 school year before all the students are housed under one roof

Link: https://www.antelopecountynews.com/...4B9-eJRYBTUBp416AyN-YtZh_qCA5RYkh8MgpEsnfQ5DU

Updated on the Summerland project:

- the Clearwater, Orchard and Ewing districts will cease to exist on June 5 with the state approving the consolidation vote of the three districts. On that date, the Summerland district will come into existence

- ground will be broken on the new school facility this spring with an estimated timeline of 16 months for construction, which would make it the 2021-22 school year before all the students are housed under one roof
So the Summerland name will exist but then schools will run one more year in their separate schools correct?

Do you think though as spread offenses have become more popular, the gap between 6 man and the other styles of football has diminished and it has became little more acceptable than it was 10 years ago?

Do you think though as spread offenses have become more popular, the gap between 6 man and the other styles of football has diminished and it has became little more acceptable than it was 10 years ago?
I would agree with this. 6 man is more commonplace now and discussed more in Nebraska. I do feel like schools east of Grand Island though, they should look at co-oping with a nearby neighbor.

I really think the surge in 6-man is mainly due to the huge adjust in enrollment in our states rural schools, 6-man goes up and down a lot, in number of teams playing it over the years and for some schools its the only choice due to no one near for coop but others its the last hold of trying to keep their school and identity

Red Cloud and Blue Hill have brought consolidation up for years. Nothing has happened. I don't see anything happening anytime soon.

Anyone know of a good comprehensive lists of co-ops by year and sport? Does the NSAA record them anywhere besides Board minutes when they are approved or dissolved?

Emerson-Hubbard and Allen will likely be for all but Football next year. EH approved the coop at their board meeting this week. Allen will likely do the same. All Wakefield and Allen coops will come to an end after this year, including wrestling.

For basketball the boys will be at the very top of C2 next year with an enrollment of 59. The girls at the bottom of D1 with an enrollment of 31.

Emerson-Hubbard and Allen will likely be for all but Football next year. EH approved the coop at their board meeting this week. Allen will likely do the same. All Wakefield and Allen coops will come to an end after this year, including wrestling.

For basketball the boys will be at the very top of C2 next year with an enrollment of 59. The girls at the bottom of D1 with an enrollment of 31.
May add to that girls #. I have a suspicion some of the Wakefield girls will open enroll to E/H or Allen

May add to that girls #. I have a suspicion some of the Wakefield girls will open enroll to E/H or Allen

Would be shocked if that happened. Those two schools days are likely numbered and frankly their reputations are pretty poor for the area. If transfering takes place it will be from all three schools to Pender, Homer, Laurel, or Ponca.

What school wants the co-op more would you say? Is Blue Hill the main choice for Red Cloud if they had to co-op?
I would imagine if push come to shove Blue Hill and Red Cloud would consolidate. But I've heard it's been voted on, long before my time, and once Blue Hill was for it and Red Cloud was against it and the other time it was the opposite.

It was a four-way vote: BH, RC, Guide Rock and Campbell. If memory serves, 3 of 4 voted for. Think it was late eighties. Plan was for new school southwest of Blue Hill at US281 and NE4.

Maybe they could opt down!!

Would be shocked if that happened. Those two schools days are likely numbered and frankly their reputations are pretty poor for the area. If transfering takes place it will be from all three schools to Pender, Homer, Laurel, or Ponca.
Keep an eye on this since the Wakefield/EH/Allen coop fell apart. Decent sources tell me 2-3 of Wakefield's most talented girls will be playing in the EH/Allen coop. Plus their best player from Allen.

Keep an eye on this since the Wakefield/EH/Allen coop fell apart. Decent sources tell me 2-3 of Wakefield's most talented girls will be playing in the EH/Allen coop. Plus their best player from Allen.
Hmmm, I don't know if this is actually really true or not, but if it does happen that they these girls end up doing this, they could end up doing quite well in basketball and maybe even volleyball if they are to be in class D1. I'm assuming the Allen girl you are referring to is the point guard for Wakefield/Allen. Saw a game and she is pretty good along with a couple other girls which I'm guessing are the talented Wakefield girls you are referring to. It will be interesting to see what actually happens.
Wasn't it only a few years ago that E-H actually won a state championship in basketball in D2? Did they also go to state in volleyball that same year?

A few years ago E-H was really good in girls basketball. The other night they only scored 5 points in a game against Wynot. The girls from Allen better be really good or that new coop is going to struggle.

A few years ago E-H was really good in girls basketball. The other night they only scored 5 points in a game against Wynot. The girls from Allen better be really good or that new coop is going to struggle.
Yes, Wynot has done that to a few teams this year. Last night Randolph managed 10 points against them.
A few years ago, Wynot was another school that I thought I'd be hearing that they would start cooping with someone, but next thing I knew they added on to their school and about eight new houses have now popped up on in that town.

Yes, Wynot has done that to a few teams this year. Last night Randolph managed 10 points against them.
A few years ago, Wynot was another school that I thought I'd be hearing that they would start cooping with someone, but next thing I knew they added on to their school and about eight new houses have now popped up on in that town.
Serious question, what is bringing people back? Or is it former Wynot residents moving back after college? I was shocked when I heard they added on to their school. Do people drive to Vermillion and Yankton for work?

Serious question, what is bringing people back? Or is it former Wynot residents moving back after college? I was shocked when I heard they added on to their school. Do people drive to Vermillion and Yankton for work?
I have heard that they've gained some Hartington kids. Might be unlikely that those families up and moved there though since the two towns are only 15 minutes apart, but I guess anything is possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT