ADVERTISEMENT

Lewis & Clark Conference

nenebskers

All-Conference
Oct 18, 2013
In the conference's latest meeting agenda for November 29th there was a discussion item about members leaving. Anyone have insight on what is going? No minutes are posted.

Would this involve some of the Knox County schools going to the Niobrara Valley Conference? Maybe the Knox County schools combining with some of the eastern NVC schools to form a new conference? Just total speculation on my part. Only other conferences nearby are the East Husker to the south and Mid-States which shares part of the same geographic footprint as the L&C. Can't see either of those two conferences taking in any existing L&C schools. Maybe Winnebago and/or Walthill going independent?

Personaly I've always thought the conference has an odd structure. Would love to see Laurel, Wakefield, Ponca, Crofton, Hartington CC, GACC, Wisner-Pilger, Pender, Stanton and Lutheran High form a conference. Seems like a good group of similar schools and communities. Not sure if there would be enough appeal for the current Mid-States schools though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hardwoodbeaver
TBH, it would be a great time to totally blow up some conferences and start over. Just a few changes I’d like to see off the top of my head.

North Bend needs to join the Capitol and leave the EHC.

Twin River and Humphrey High need to join the Goldenrod and leave the EHC.

Ainsworth and Valentine need to join the NVC.

I believe it was the following 8 schools that are involved in the possibility of forming a new conference.
Elkhorn Valley
Lutheran High NE
Plainview
Laurel-Concord Coleridge
Creighton
Neligh-Oakdale
Summerland
and I believe the 8th school was GACC

I believe it was the following 8 schools that are involved in the possibility of forming a new conference.
Elkhorn Valley
Lutheran High NE
Plainview
Laurel-Concord Coleridge
Creighton
Neligh-Oakdale
Summerland
and I believe the 8th school was GACC
Looks very similar to the old NENAC. GACC does not seem like a fit though.

You're right. It wasn't GACC. It may have been Harting-Newcastle. Somebody help me here. Information was posted on Facebook page for Antelope County News.
Didn't see anything on any Facebook page.

I did browse several of the schools mentioned websites, and on the Elkhorn Valley school board minutes, there is an action item to discuss how the superintendent should vote in regards to "Ainsworth joining the Niobrara Valley Conference."

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Had a small town paper article forwarded to me.

Looks like 8 schools are discussing a new conference:

Creighton
Elkhorn Valley
Hartington-Newcastle
Laurel-Concord-Coleridge
Lutheran High Northeast
Neligh-Oakdale
Plainveiw
Summerland

However, I believe Creighton pulled out, and they may have Weat Holt in that group of 8 now.

Reactions: rufuller
From the Cedar County News:

LCC considers new activities conference
by Trisha Benton, Laurel Advocate

LAUREL - Laurel-Concord-Coleridge is one of eight schools considering a conference realignment for athletics and activities.

Currently a member of the Lewis and Clark Conference of 17 schools and 16 athletic schools/cooperatives, the conference is divided into two halves by geographic region.

"Our Lewis and Clark Conference affiliation has overall been positive for our students and school communities with numerous opportunities provided for students. However, during the past several years, I among others, have grown increasingly concerned about a trend of school-size disparity within our conference that has and likely will continue to impact those opportunities," said Superintendent Jeremy Christiansen in his report to the school board last week.

He said one of the main concerns is opportunities available for students playing in reserve and junior varsity contests.

"More often than not, and of greater frequency each of the past three years, reserve and JV matches and games have been canceled, reduced or shortened due to lack of participants from the opposing school's teams," Christiansen said.

Other concerns include logistics and scheduling issues with such a large number of conference teams. Size disparity among schools also has created some friction.

Administrators from eight schools met last month to discuss the potential of creating their own conference.

Those schools include:

- Creighton
- Elkhorn Valley
- Hartington-Newcastle
- Laurel-Concord-Coleridge
- Lutheran High Northeast
- Neligh-Oakdale
- Plainview
- Summerland

Four of the schools -- Creighton, Hartington-Newcastle, LCC and Plainview -- are currently in the Lewis and Clark Conference., three -- Elkhorn Valley, Neligh-Oakdale and Summerland -- currently compete in the Niobrara Valley Conference, and Lutheran High Northeast is an independent.

The group of schools was identified based on school enrollment and geographic location. The longest distance for LCC with the new proposed conference would be 66 miles to Summerland.

All of the schools are in the discussion phase and met for a second time Tuesday. A final decision would require board action, potentially next month. The earliest any conference changes would occur would most likely be for the 2024-25 academic year.

Quin Conner, LCC's activities and transportation director, met individually with coaches and sponsors and feedback has been mostly positive.

Any change requires adaptations and a change in conference will be no different, Conner said. After all, LCC has been a part of the Lewis and Clark Conference for a decacde.

"I talked to most of our sponsors and coaches and they understand the rationale," he said. "Travel-wise, it will be a little extended but it's not like we're talking three-hour bus rides."

Christiansen said if a change in conference happens, the school would be open to maintaining some of the existing matches and rivalries with other regional schools -- as long as it maintains opportunities for students.

Another article on it from the Cedar County News

Conference realignment could be on the horizon here
Cedar County News

HARTINGTON - Conference realignment is not only a hot topic in college athletics these days, but it's also reaching down to high school sports.

The Hartington-Newcastle School Board spent much of its Monday meeting discussing the possibility of leaving their longtime home -- the Lewis and Clark Conference -- to form a new athletic and activities conference.

The Wildcats have been a part of the Lewis and Clark Conference since the 1960s.

HNS Superintendent A.J. Johnson said eight area schools -- from from the Lewis and Clark Conference, three from the Niobrara Valley Conference, and one currently unaffiliated school -- are all considering the possibility of forming a new conference.

"We're looking at joining together with some schools that will help ensure we are able to get JV and freshman-sophomore games, as well as varsity competition," Johnson said.

When HNS competes with a smaller school, these reserve and JV contests and games are often canceled, or shortened due to lack of participants from the opposing school's teams.

HNS is poised to be competing in the Class C2 division for the next several years, so a conference comprised of mainly C2 schools could be beneficial, Johnson said.

The Lewis and Clark Conference is currently comprised of 17 schools ranging in size from Class C1 down to Class D2. The conference features schools as far east and south as Winnebago and as far west as Creighton.

Because the conference is trying to accommodate the needs of all sizes of schools, there is some friction between the larger and smaller schools, said HNS Principal Corey Uldrich.

The Niobrara Valley Conference is equally as large with 16 schools competing in that league.

"Eight schools is a really good number compared to the 17 we now have," said Uldrich, who met with the seven other schools about the issue in late October.

The new conference would help HNS to set up a more competitive schedule as well, according to Johnson.

"This would help us build a schedule that would help our teams qualify for a wild card, should they be in that situation. We have to create a schedule that helps us gain more NSAA power points," he said.

The power point system is used to help determine postseason play. The larger the school the team competes against, the more power points it has the potential to accrue.

Uldrich told board members the travel time wouldn't be much different to games in the new conference.

It's a 74-mile drive to current Lewis and Clark member Walthill from Hartington.

The furthest foe in the new conference, Summerland, would also be a 74-mile drive.

Uldrich said the school boards for the seven other schools -- Laurel-Concord-Coleridge, Plainview, Creighton, Elkhorn Valley, Neligh-Oakdale, Summerland, and Lutheran High Northeast -- are discussing the proposal, so they should know by their December board meeting whether they plan to continue discussions about the new conference, or not.

"There are a lot of details that would need to be worked out," Uldrich said.

Schedules, bylaws, mutual sports and activities, and possible junior high scheduling and activities all need to be discussed yet, Uldrich said, and a new conference could potentially do some very interesting things, such as add junior high golf, art shows, and other activities.

"There are a dozen different ways this could go," he said.

Uldrich said a new conference would be, "starting with a clean slate" to sit down and see what we want to do.

Interest from some of the other schools has been very high, Uldrich said.

"There are people in that room that are very large "Let's go," he said. "We don't need to rush this, though."

Uldrich said if they do decide to form a new conference, he feels it would be best to wait until the fall of the 2025-26 school year to launch it. That gives ample time for scheduling, he said.

Reactions: trackman77
Does Neligh-Oakdale fit in here? Their numbers seem pretty low.

Last edited:
I completely agree wih LCC's Superintendent and Little Eagle (HNS). The conference is so out of whack. 16 teams is way to large. The needs of a Ponca vs a Winside or a LCC vs a Wausa are night and day. Throw in the uniquness of Winnebago and Walthill and many of these schools have little in common. Wynot, although one of if not the smallest, has been one of a few schools you don't have to worry about year from year from being competitive.

Wonder if the smaller schools in the Lewis and Clark and the NVC will get together and try to form something. The drives between the far west and far east schools in that would not be as friendly

Current leagues:

Independent:
Lutheran High Northeast

Lewis & Clark Conference:
Bloomfield
Creighton
Hartington-Newcastle

Homer
Laurel-Concord-Coleridge
Osmond
Plainview
Ponca
Randolph
Tri County Northeast
Wakefield
Walthill
Wausa
Winnebago
Winside
Wynot

Niobrara Valley Conference
Atkinson West Holt
Boyd County
Chambers/Wheeler Central
Elgin/Elgin Pope John
Elkhorn Valley
Neligh-Oakdale

Niobrara/Verdigre
North Central
O'Neill St. Mary's
Santee
Stuart
Summerland

Potential New League:

- Creighton
- Elkhorn Valley
- Hartington-Newcastle
- Neligh-Oakdale
- Plainview
- Summerland

This will probably never happen but would Ponca ever get Mid-State consideration?

Could see a new eastern smaller league.

Ponca
Wakefield
Homer
Walthill
Winnebago
Omaha Nation?
Wynot
Winside
Tri County NE
Randolph

Another northern one...
Bloomfield
Wausa
Santee
Niobrara-Vedirgre
Boyd County
Ainsworth?
Stuart
North Central
West Holt
St. Mary's

EPPJ and CWC go to the Goldenrod?

Current leagues:

Independent:
Lutheran High Northeast

Bloomfield
Creighton
Hartington-Newcastle

Homer
Laurel-Concord-Coleridge
Osmond
Plainview
Ponca
Randolph
Tri County Northeast
Wakefield
Walthill
Wausa
Winnebago
Winside
Wynot

Atkinson West Holt
Boyd County
Chambers/Wheeler Central
Elgin/Elgin Pope John
Elkhorn Valley
Neligh-Oakdale

Niobrara/Verdigre
North Central
O'Neill St. Mary's
Santee
Stuart
Summerland

Potential New League:
- Creighton
- Elkhorn Valley
- Hartington-Newcastle
- Neligh-Oakdale
- Plainview
- Summerland

The more I think about it, does this really help a school like LCC long term? Plainview, Creighton, and NO are quite a bit smaller enrollments. Same for Hartington-Newcastle though I think they have some decent growth coming up in the elementary classes. Still would like to see LCC, Ponca, and Wakefield try to get some of the other similar communities such as Crofton, Wisner-Pilger, Pender, Hartington CC, etc to form something.

This will probably never happen but would Ponca ever get Mid-State consideration?

Could see a new eastern smaller league.

Ponca
Wakefield
Homer
Walthill
Winnebago
Omaha Nation?
Wynot
Winside
Tri County NE
Randolph

Another northern one...
Bloomfield
Wausa
Santee
Niobrara-Vedirgre
Boyd County
Ainsworth?
Stuart
North Central
West Holt
St. Mary's

EPPJ and CWC go to the Goldenrod?
Ponca to the Mid-States sounds crazy on the surface but.....the Mid States is at 9 teams and they regularly play Crofton, Cedar, Battle Creek, Wayne, and Pierce in basketball and volleyball. That's over half the conference. They also play GACC in summer stuff all the time and their softball schedule (the only school in the L&C) is about half Mid-States schools including O'Neill and Boone Central.

Last edited:
Ponca to the Mid-States sounds crazy on the surface but.....the Mid States is at 9 teams and they regularly play Crofton, Cedar, Battle Creek, Wayne, and Pierce in basketball and volleyball. That's over half the conference. They also play GACC in summer stuff all the time and their softball schedule (the only school in the L&C) is about half Mid-States schools.
I just feel with Crofton being in, no reason Ponca couldn’t with their enrollment. I think they would be a great fit. Sure driving to Boone would be a trip, other than that the others aren’t bad.

The more I think about it, does this really help a school like LCC long term? Plainview, Creighton, and NO are quite a bit smaller enrollments. Same for Hartington-Newcastle though I think they have some decent growth coming up in the elementary classes. Still would like to see LCC, Ponca, and Wakefield try to get some of the other similar communities such as Crofton, Wisner-Pilger, Pender, Hartington CC, etc to form something.
I agree as I don’t think this solves their JV issue. Neligh is historically a wrestling school and I don’t think they get a ton of kids out for basketball but I could be mistaken.

I agree as I don’t think this solves their JV issue. Neligh is historically a wrestling school and I don’t think they get a ton of kids out for basketball but I could be mistaken.
I just looked at the LCC Facebook page and read the below message. I understand the desire to form a smaller league with similar schools but not sure the schools they are choosing are similar enough.

Girls JV Thursday vs. Creighton will now only be 2 quarters starting at 4:00 with the boys JV playing 3 quarters to follow

K-12 enrollment
West Holt: 420
Elkhorn Valley: 408
Hartington Newcastle: 366
LCC: 378
LHNE: (9-12) 138
Neligh Oakdale: 315
Plainview: 317
Summerland: 406

Makes more sense when you look at the long term

Last edited:
Current leagues:

Independent:
Lutheran High Northeast

Bloomfield
Creighton
Hartington-Newcastle

Homer
Laurel-Concord-Coleridge
Osmond
Plainview
Ponca
Randolph
Tri County Northeast
Wakefield
Walthill
Wausa
Winnebago
Winside
Wynot

Atkinson West Holt
Boyd County
Chambers/Wheeler Central
Elgin/Elgin Pope John
Elkhorn Valley
Neligh-Oakdale

Niobrara/Verdigre
North Central
O'Neill St. Mary's
Santee
Stuart
Summerland

Potential New League:
- Creighton
- Elkhorn Valley
- Hartington-Newcastle
- Neligh-Oakdale
- Plainview
- Summerland
Creighton has told the group of 8 that they are not interested. Preliminary talks with West Holt have begun. Discussion at December board meetings for these 8 schools will take place.
Potential New League:
- West Holt
- Elkhorn Valley
- Hartington-Newcastle
- Neligh-Oakdale
- Plainview
- Summerland

Creighton has told the group of 8 that they are not interested. Preliminary talks with West Holt have begun. Discussion at December board meetings for these 8 schools will take place.
Potential New League:
- West Holt
- Elkhorn Valley
- Hartington-Newcastle
- Neligh-Oakdale
- Plainview
- Summerland
Looks like a pretty good conference to me. I wonder what they'll name the conference if this goes through?

Potential New League:
- West Holt
- Elkhorn Valley
- Hartington-Newcastle
- Neligh-Oakdale
- Plainview
- Summerland
Solid league with D1/C2 type teams that seem to have healthy enrollments. EV and Plainview seem to be growing as well. Is this something that if approved this month or January, could it go into effect for the 24-25 school year?

West Holt then replaced Pierce, correct?
IIRC, Pierce and Elkhorn Valley swapped places around 1995 or 1996, with Pierce joining the Mid-State and Elkhorn Valley joining NENAC.

West Holt joined NENAC in 2006 and the league disbanded in, I wanna say, 2012.

IIRC, Pierce and Elkhorn Valley swapped places around 1995 or 1996, with Pierce joining the Mid-State and Elkhorn Valley joining NENAC.

West Holt joined NENAC in 2006 and the league disbanded in, I wanna say, 2012.
Your right, West Holt took Broomfields place.

Just looked at the history of the NENAC and found the following:

1995-96
Because of shrinking enrollments of most members, charter member Pierce (who was stable and/or growing) leaves for the Mid-State Conference and trades places with Elkhorn Valley, who leaves the Mid-State to take Pierce's place in the NENAC

2004-05
Bloomfield leaves for the Lewis & Clark Conference

2005-06
Atkinson West Holt is accepted as a member

2012-13
Crofton leaves the league to join the Mid-State Conference

2012-13 would prove to the final year of the league as the remaining members voted to disband with Creighton, Laurel-Concord-Coleridge, Plainview and Randolph joining the Lewis & Clark, while West Holt, Elkhorn Valley and Neligh-Oakdale joined the NVC

Had a small town paper article forwarded to me.

Looks like 8 schools are discussing a new conference:

Creighton
Elkhorn Valley
Hartington-Newcastle
Laurel-Concord-Coleridge
Lutheran High Northeast
Neligh-Oakdale
Plainveiw
Summerland

However, I believe Creighton pulled out, and they may have Weat Holt in that group of 8 now.
where is Weat Holt at, is that a new school out west?

I will be curious to see what happens with the other schools and if a ripple effect could occur in smaller conferences throughout the state.

Just doesn't seem like Ponca and Wakefield need to be in the same conference as Creighton and Bloomfield.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT