ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln Football

orca53

Junior
Jan 17, 2010
I am just curious as to what people think is going on with the Lincoln Schools this year (13-20) and the fact that only one of the six teams has a winning record. I know that it was hard to go from 4 to 6 schools with the addition of North Star and Southwest a while back, but that has been over 10 years now and one would think that they would of recovered by now. Historically, Lincoln football was always tough with the original 4 schools in the 70's , 80's, and 90's , so something must of changed, maybe? I honestly don't know .
smile.r191677.gif

I've been trying to figure this out myself. This year in particular the teams are very mediocre. Some of it is probably coaching but that doesn't explain it all. Lincoln has played midget football for over 60 years so that isn't what changed. I know a lot of good athletes that don't go out for football but I would suspect that to be the case everywhere. Just a down year I guess but it seems like something more than that is going on. Lincoln Public Schools system might be part of the problem because it just seems they don't value or support the schools with facilities but that seems like a bit of a stretch as to why too.

Realignment of districts is new this year. Maybe that is it.

Or .... just an off year.
This post was edited on 10/1 7:59 PM by Huskrwood

I find this very interesting topic so I thought I would call a friend who lives there and coaches "middle school level" football. This year alone they had 400 LESS athletes out for football. Concussion syndrome? Specializing? Down year? Call it what you want but that seems very high? I am guessing that kids are not as interested in the sport with so many other opportunities available to them. Parents are not "pushing" their kids to be the next home grown Husker. Baseball, basketball, and soccer are growing in this state.

There might be something to this. I know at East, many kids are specializing in a single sport. For instance, my son was on the Junior Legion baseball team for East and while he plays football as well, many of the baseball players have given up other sports that they were really quite good at, to play fall baseball and lift/train during the winter season. Others are doing basketball, soccer or golf full time. What I don't understand is why this same thing isn't hurting the Omaha or Millard schools as much it seems.

Down year. OPS sure had a few. What is strange in Pius X being down as well. Numbers are there . Someone will surface again.

Just seeing a culmination of the expansions. When you spread the talent out you end up with 6 less than average teams instead of 1 really good team (district winner), 1 good team (wild card), 1 average team (almost made it and scared a few) and 1 doormat ( Lincoln High)
This post was edited on 10/3 12:12 PM by huskrz

May be playing double headers at Seaweed doesn't help players with the feeling they are playing on Friday night.

I would say its a down time for athletes, look at even lincoln Christian they are down also, maybe its something different I dont know but time will tell

I live in a small town and don't have a pulse on Lincoln football. But I coach legion baseball and I know it seems fall baseball gets bigger each year. Kids are specializing. I think that is the biggest issue. So I'm guessing that now the move to 6 schools is having a delayed effect. Why it doesn't affect Omaha as much is kind of puzzling. I guess they just have so many more kids that they can pick up the slack. Also, I think fall baseball has been big there for alot longer than Lincoln. Maybe they have adjusted already. Every sport cycles and Lincoln will probably be back to being more competitive soon.

Yikes! In looking at it a little close... Lincoln is likely to have only 2 teams in the playoffs. That's pretty shocking to me...

I live in rural NE Nebraska and I can tell you for a fact that baseball is having an impact on less players out for football. As someone said......'concussions, fall ball, and the growth of baseball is taking a toll.'

good old texty chiming in on his bashing of Lincoln and how bad SEACREST is. I knew it was just a matter of time before he would come out again.
now back to the topic, maybe in general the athletes in Lincoln are just not as good as they used to be and now they have more schools which would mean less athletes per school, get what I'm saying here, they have thinned out due to expansion.

After some thought, I don't think its as systemic as that. Just a couple of years ago Southeast won a state championship. Southwest has been good and even East was pretty good last year. This year just seems different so maybe it is just a down year- we'll see if it continues into the next couple of years.

If southwest was never built Southeast would be winning state almost every other year. Just look at how many D1 scholarship players have come from those two schools over the past few years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT