ADVERTISEMENT

News on the proposed Bloomfield, Osmond, Plainview, Wausa, Creighton merger

Sad Plainview feels that way, they can't avoid their school losing numbers. Either merge now or you will have this same conversation in 5 years and your school will be in worse shape. This conversation is not going to go away. Just my thoughts.

New schools sound great until people find out that someone has to pay for them. Then people who seemed to have been concerned about students are suddenly more concerned about their own bank accounts.

"Either merge now or you will have this same conversation in 5 years and your school will be in worse shape." This statement is exactly the point. People are not going to consolidate or merge until they absolutely have to. That is the reality. Too much emotion involved.

Notice it is all school boards and superintendents. This is not driven by the citizens. No school in the area has asked it's citizens what they believe. Ask the Creighton Supt. Jensen why he is out along with 3 board members, ask the Plainview board president why she is out along with 2 other board members. In every town there is a vocal majority against except the 2 in financial trouble. Let them go together.
To me this is putting the cart before the horse. Should you not have some kind of survey in each town 1st to ask what they wish to do go alone or consolidation? Then ask what type of combination. Also ask where they would like the school. Instead each school is throwing $10,000 at this, getting a lawyer, and an architect involved. There is many things wrong with this. The placement that is being pushed is convenient for 2 schools that bring nothing to the equation.
This consolidation will not work. There was a movement in Plainview and Creighton to examine a consolidation. Two other schools jumped on because they are having troubles making it, while Osmond jumped in to see the results. The combination that will is Creighton and Plainview. Neligh is now trying to see about jumping in on this and that is a stretch but might work also. Best would be a 3 school of Creighton, Plainview, Osmond.

Originally posted by 6minmatch:
Notice it is all school boards and superintendents. This is not driven by the citizens. No school in the area has asked it's citizens what they believe. Ask the Creighton Supt. Jensen why he is out along with 3 board members, ask the Plainview board president why she is out along with 2 other board members. In every town there is a vocal majority against except the 2 in financial trouble. Let them go together.
To me this is putting the cart before the horse. Should you not have some kind of survey in each town 1st to ask what they wish to do go alone or consolidation? Then ask what type of combination. Also ask where they would like the school. Instead each school is throwing $10,000 at this, getting a lawyer, and an architect involved. There is many things wrong with this. The placement that is being pushed is convenient for 2 schools that bring nothing to the equation.
This consolidation will not work. There was a movement in Plainview and Creighton to examine a consolidation. Two other schools jumped on because they are having troubles making it, while Osmond jumped in to see the results. The combination that will is Creighton and Plainview. Neligh is now trying to see about jumping in on this and that is a stretch but might work also. Best would be a 3 school of Creighton, Plainview, Osmond.
I agree that this consolidation may be a slippery slope to climb to make it work. BUT something has to change. Whether it's a combo of….

-All 5 schools.
-2 Schools, combo of Creighton/Plainview/Osmond the other school, Bloomfield/Wausa
-2 Schools, combo of Creighton/Plainview while the other school, Bloomfield/Wausa/Osmond.

These schools need to consolidate, they can't go alone much longer, it will be better for the STUDENTS in the long run. That is what truly matters.

Neligh-Oakdale is interesting, but I think they could try and grab Elkhorn Valley (Tilden), wouldn't bump their numbers much, but I don't know how Elkhorn Valley is still surviving. Or they could go towards Elgin too.

Elkhorn Valley will be fine on their own, they have 30 some kids in their elementary grades. I Think the Elgin schools are fine too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT